Dust protecor (IR filter) is STILL on backorder!

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
SigmaTog
SigmaTog Contributing Member • Posts: 955
Re: Dust protecor (IR filter) is STILL on backorder!
1

Thanks EEvan
I don't know of anyone with a 3D printer.
I would like to purchase 10 of these surrounds, as I have a number of different filters I would like to use, please.

danski0224 Senior Member • Posts: 1,218
Re: Dust protecor (IR filter) is STILL on backorder!
1

You can send the file to Shapeways.

There are others.

-- hide signature --

Moments in Time, a work in progress.... https://www.flickr.com/gp/142423236@N08/965cs3

Scottelly
OP Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 15,048
Re: Dust protecor (IR filter) is STILL on backorder!

FDecker wrote:

Scott, I really hope that you are not going to order a camera from Sigma to get the IR filter out of it and send it back afterwards hoping that they don‘t notice. Or if they notice, to lie on them saying it was never installed. That would be wrong on many levels. I am a bit shocked that you openly share ideas like this.

Frankly, I think that idea would be the best solution, for someone caught out by a company that fails to service their customers reasonably. I'm not suggesting I plan to do it, but I'm offering it as a possible solution, which the company should try to avoid people using. The best way for the company to avoid this type of thing happening to them would be to make the parts readily available. Maybe if people start using my idea, because they need a part that SHOULD be available, but is not, the company will get off their butts and fix the situation.

It is really easy to get the IR filter out and in again.

I did it with my SD14, and it wasn't that easy. Sure, I was able to do it, and I think I did it twice, but I have never done it with my two newer Sigma cameras, for fear of breaking that thing. Maybe I'm being too timid or something, but ever since I realized there was a serious risk of damaging that filter, I have been afraid of cleaning my sensors. I don't want to ship my camera anywhere, and I wouldn't be surprised if someone at a camera shop would tell me they can't clean my sensor for me.

You must be careful and follow the description in the manual. I did it on my SD1 and the sd Quattro H several times. No problems so far.

Thanks for that reassurance.

The other option was already mentioned as well. Send the camera to Sigma and you get it back as clean as you can think of.

That would be nice, but I don't see that as a viable option. Maybe I'll change my mind, after thinking about it for a while.

The last option. Instead of checking the status online, why don‘t you give them a call? With a bit of luck, they can provide a spare IR filter.

True. Maybe it's just a "website thing" (which happens all the time).

But try to be nice and don‘t start blaming them for not having the filters available online.

Why? Why not blame them? It seems to me those things should all be readily available. If they stock a handfull MORE than they need, what's the big loss for them?

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
https://www.bigprintphotos.com/

 Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Nikon D810 Sigma sd Quattro H Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +23 more
Scottelly
OP Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 15,048
Re: Dust protecor (IR filter) is STILL on backorder!

Ceistinne wrote:

Scott,

I think you are overreacting completely as there is very little chance of breaking the filter of your sd Q H if you follow the instructions carefully and particularly do not put unnecessary pressure on the filter. it is the easiest one of them all to take out and put in again.

The SD9 / SD10 was retained in place with a screw and the SD14 /15 & SD1 / SD1 Merrill clipped into place, the latter being the most awkward to get back in, needed slightly more care than either the earlier ones or the Quattros to get it properly in place.

I agree that it should be possible to get the filters for all the cameras without too much delay since they are an essential part of the cameras.

Remove the filter carefully, clean your sensor with the proper cleaning items and put the filter back in place following the instructions & you'll be good to go for next couple of years.

No need to sell your Sigma gear.

Yeah, I guess that's a bit of an over-the-top reaction, but it really does bother me that Sigma would not keep such an essential "Accessory" in stock. It seems like they have probably not stocked them for a long time, considering the fact that not one of the different versions of that filter is available.

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
https://www.bigprintphotos.com/

 Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Nikon D810 Sigma sd Quattro H Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +23 more
Scottelly
OP Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 15,048
Re: Dust protecor (IR filter) is STILL on backorder!

xpatUSA wrote:

Re: Dust protecor (IR filter) ...

An "IR filter" passes IR and blocks visible light.

True Ted, except where it is a filter that filters out/blocks IR light. I guess that's what Sigma is referring to, when they call the thing an "I.R. Filter and Dust protector" Ted.

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
https://www.bigprintphotos.com/

 Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Nikon D810 Sigma sd Quattro H Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +23 more
Scottelly
OP Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 15,048
Re: Maybe the problem is simply a web issue

docmaas wrote:

I ordered and received 2 for the Quattro, a replacement and a spare, and one for the SD1, a spare just 3 weeks ago or so. I had written to Japan though complaining about availability so maybe mine was filled by Japan and sent from NY. I don't know. It's hard to talk to anyone in NY right now though as they are closed most of the time but if you could you might be able to get an answer. Did you write to them?

Mike

I haven't Mike. I just thought I might clean my sensors, and then I remembered the risk to the "I.R. Filter and Dust protector" (a thought that caused me to check their website to see what is available.

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
https://www.bigprintphotos.com/

 Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Nikon D810 Sigma sd Quattro H Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +23 more
G Radford Contributing Member • Posts: 922
Re: Dust protecor (IR filter) is STILL on backorder!
1

Earlier this year, I tried to order a spare sdQ dust protector from Sigma USA, but they will not accept orders from Canada. They did refer me to Gentec International, which is the sole Canadian distributor for Sigma parts and repair. After a few emails and phone calls, I consider myself fortunate to have purchased the last dust protector they had in stock. https://www.gentec-intl.com/

It's fairly easy to install/uninstall, but would recommend using plastic/graphite tweezers, above a soft surface. It's a dirty world, so there's no real guarantee that you'll never have remove dust from the sensor.

-Gary

 G Radford's gear list:G Radford's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony a7R Sigma sd Quattro H Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro
EEvan
EEvan Regular Member • Posts: 212
Re: Dust protecor (IR filter) is STILL on backorder!

Let me see if I can switch my printer to ABS without needing to change anything else to get good results and i'd be happy to send a couple for you to try out.

But I put it on google drive here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1R23zjJw-omoRCm-5UthvNO697sRvVeka

Note: I don't have an actual model, so this is based on measuring the original filter with Calipers, printing, seeing how it fit and repeating the process.

So it might need to be scaled and finished depending on anyone's specific printer setup.

SigmaTog
SigmaTog Contributing Member • Posts: 955
Re: Dust protecor (IR filter) is STILL on backorder!

Thanks Evan
You can PM me, if you like.

supergroovegear New Member • Posts: 24
Re: Dust protecor (IR filter) is STILL on backorder!

G Radford wrote:

Earlier this year, I tried to order a spare sdQ dust protector from Sigma USA, but they will not accept orders from Canada.

[SNIP]

-Gary

This is the experience I had as well.

I ordered from New Zealand while the status was backordered. I followed up the order and the response was they just got some in stock but because my credit card was not issued in teh USA, they could not fill the order. I was willing to buy 3 pieces as well.

I tried asking Aodrama if they could get it from Sigma USA but they couldn't help. I have yet to ask my New Zealand distributor or I could ask a friend in Japan to get some for me.

 supergroovegear's gear list:supergroovegear's gear list
Sigma sd Quattro Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM Art Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Sigma 50-100mm F1.8 DC HSM Art +4 more
PT
PT Contributing Member • Posts: 863
Re: Dust protecor (IR filter) is STILL on backorder!
2

supergroovegear wrote:

G Radford wrote:

Earlier this year, I tried to order a spare sdQ dust protector from Sigma USA, but they will not accept orders from Canada.

[SNIP]

-Gary

This is the experience I had as well.

I ordered from New Zealand while the status was backordered. I followed up the order and the response was they just got some in stock but because my credit card was not issued in teh USA, they could not fill the order. I was willing to buy 3 pieces as well.

I tried asking Aodrama if they could get it from Sigma USA but they couldn't help. I have yet to ask my New Zealand distributor or I could ask a friend in Japan to get some for me.

The NZ distributor is I suspect the same one for Oz.... C R Kennedy. I encountered a lot of dis interest in ordering the part from the CRK office in Perth, see post https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63406976 eventually I went directly  to the Melbourne parts office and spoke to Rob Grunden who was very helpful and went out of his way to help me, his email is rgrunden@crkennedy.com.au you can save yourself a lot of time by going straight to Rob as he is the photographic parts guy for CRK, everyone else I spoke to was not really interested, I wasted 6 weeks with empty promises to get back to me when one phone call to the right person and I received the filter the next day.

PT

 PT's gear list:PT's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ2 Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T1 Sigma sd Quattro H Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro +10 more
supergroovegear New Member • Posts: 24
Re: Dust protecor (IR filter) is STILL on backorder!
1

PT wrote:

supergroovegear wrote:

G Radford wrote:

Earlier this year, I tried to order a spare sdQ dust protector from Sigma USA, but they will not accept orders from Canada.

[SNIP]

-Gary

This is the experience I had as well.

I ordered from New Zealand while the status was backordered. I followed up the order and the response was they just got some in stock but because my credit card was not issued in teh USA, they could not fill the order. I was willing to buy 3 pieces as well.

I tried asking Aodrama if they could get it from Sigma USA but they couldn't help. I have yet to ask my New Zealand distributor or I could ask a friend in Japan to get some for me.

The NZ distributor is I suspect the same one for Oz.... C R Kennedy. I encountered a lot of dis interest in ordering the part from the CRK office in Perth, see post https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63406976 eventually I went directly to the Melbourne parts office and spoke to Rob Grunden who was very helpful and went out of his way to help me, his email is rgrunden@crkennedy.com.au you can save yourself a lot of time by going straight to Rob as he is the photographic parts guy for CRK, everyone else I spoke to was not really interested, I wasted 6 weeks with empty promises to get back to me when one phone call to the right person and I received the filter the next day.

PT

I did read your earlier post when you posted it. At that stage I lost all hope after I failled to get one in Japan (I was there around that time, probably a langauge and sytstem familiarity thing). You're quite right, it's CR Kennedy in NZ, I won't comment any further about hopes. Thanks for Mr Grunden's email address. I might give it ago. Hopefully they can show more interest if I am willing to buy more than one unit because these things are fragile!

Michael

 supergroovegear's gear list:supergroovegear's gear list
Sigma sd Quattro Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM Art Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Sigma 50-100mm F1.8 DC HSM Art +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads