Dust protecor (IR filter) is STILL on backorder!

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Scottelly
Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 14,946
Dust protecor (IR filter) is STILL on backorder!

Here I sit with a dirty sensor, because I'm afraid to remove my IR filter dust protector, for fear I will break it, and not be able to replace it.

https://www.sigmaphoto.com/accessories/camera-accessories/i-r-filter-and-dust-protector-for-sigma-sd-quattro-series-camera

Can anyone tell me why, after like six months, this essential part is STILL on backorder? How is it possible that Sigma hasn't made any in six months, since the last time I checked to see if they were on back-order?

I may end up selling all my Sigma gear, because of this lack of support from the company.

It's no good having a camera that has a sensor I can't clean, for fear of breaking my IR filter, and crippling my camera. What I'm saying is my camera can not be repaired if I can't get the part that I might break, when trying to clean my sensor, so I can't clean my sensor, because I'm afraid to try, because if I break the IR filter in the process of cleaning my sensor, I can't replace the broken IR filter . . . because Sigma doesn't have any. I hope what I'm saying is clear. Sorry to be repetitive, if you understood exactly what I was talking about in my first sentence on this post.

This is an unacceptable business practice for Sigma to be doing, and the IR filter for the SD1 Merrill is on backorder too, as are the IR filters for the SD14 and SD15. How is that even possible? What does Sigma think we're going to do, if we inadvertently break our IR filter dust protectors, while trying to clean our sensors . . . buy a new Sigma camera, just to get an IR filter dust protector? Is that really what we have to do to get that filter dust protector?

https://www.sigmaphoto.com/accessories/camera-accessories/ir-filter-dust-protector-for-sd1-camera

https://www.sigmaphoto.com/accessories/camera-accessories/ir-filter-dust-protector-for-sd14sd15

I'm guessing the purchase of a new Sigma camera directly from Sigma, and then returning it to Sigma with no IR filter dust protector in it, is likely the best way to get their attention (if they even notice the thing missing), but I might not get my refund from my credit card company, if I were to do that. I guess I could deny the charge, but my credit card company might side with Sigma. Who knows? I'd probably have to lie, and tell both Sigma and the credit card company that the IR filter dust protector was missing when the camera arrived. That wouldn't be right, but neither is not having those IR filter dust protectors in stock.

What do you all think of this situation?

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
https://www.bigprintphotos.com/

Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Nikon D810 Sigma sd Quattro H Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +23 more
Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma SD14 Sigma SD15
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
SigmaTog
SigmaTog Contributing Member • Posts: 954
Re: Dust protecor (IR filter) is STILL on backorder!

There is little chance of breaking the 'dust protector' when following the instructions & having a little care....
If you are worried, then send in the camera to be cleaned....end of problem....

SigmaChrome Forum Pro • Posts: 12,729

I agree with you Scott.

There really is no excuse for not keeping essential spares in stock.

If Sigma wants to be seen as a recognised camera maker -- and they say that's what they want -- then they need to be able to supply their customers with service and spare parts, just like the company they have aligned themselves with, Leica. You can take any of a huge selection of Leica camera models back to the manufacturer and be assured of getting repairs and parts. If you go in person, you'll even be offered a cup of tea or coffee and probably a look around the factory.

Edit: Btw, I just checked, Sigma lists the I.R. Filter/ Dust Protector as an accessory. It is NOT an accessory. It's an essential item -- unless you want to shoot just IR.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Vitée
Capture all the light and colour!
http://www.pbase.com/vitee/galleries

SigmaChrome's gear list:SigmaChrome's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX100 Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp0 Quattro +35 more
Shawn67 Senior Member • Posts: 2,283

The filter is easy to remove and reinstall. A pair of bent tweezers makes it even easier.

Just hold it loosely in place with the tab on the top and use a plastic took to unlatch it on the right side. Lift out by the tab on top, clean the senseor and then put it back in position by the tab on top. Then just push the right side down till it latches.

Shawn

FDecker Senior Member • Posts: 2,099

Scott, I really hope that you are not going to order a camera from Sigma to get the IR filter out of it and send it back afterwards hoping that they don‘t notice. Or if they notice, to lie on them saying it was never installed. That would be wrong on many levels. I am a bit shocked that you openly share ideas like this.

It is really easy to get the IR filter out and in again. You must be careful and follow the description in the manual. I did it on my SD1 and the sd Quattro H several times. No problems so far.

The other option was already mentioned as well. Send the camera to Sigma and you get it back as clean as you can think of.

The last option. Instead of checking the status online, why don‘t you give them a call? With a bit of luck, they can provide a spare IR filter. But try to be nice and don‘t start blaming them for not having the filters available online.

SigmaTog

Here is a idea Scot....
Send your camera in for a clean, but without the 'dust protector', then it will come back as clean as a whistle & with a new 'dust protector' as well....

Ceistinne Senior Member • Posts: 2,335

Scott,

I think you are overreacting completely as there is very little chance of breaking the filter of your sd Q H if you follow the instructions carefully and particularly do not put unnecessary pressure on the filter. it is the easiest one of them all to take out and put in again.

The SD9 / SD10 was retained in place with a screw and the SD14 /15 & SD1 / SD1 Merrill clipped into place, the latter being the most awkward to get back in, needed slightly more care than either the earlier ones or the Quattros to get it properly in place.

I agree that it should be possible to get the filters for all the cameras without too much delay since they are an essential part of the cameras.

Remove the filter carefully, clean your sensor with the proper cleaning items and put the filter back in place following the instructions & you'll be good to go for next couple of years.

No need to sell your Sigma gear.

Ceistinne's gear list:Ceistinne's gear list
Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Sigma SD9 Sigma SD10 Sigma SD14 +5 more
Ira7 Regular Member • Posts: 184

Don’t get me started. I waited 4 months for my viewfinder for the fp to arrive.

For a new model camera that doesn’t even HAVE a built-in VF.

xpatUSA
xpatUSA Forum Pro • Posts: 17,746

Re: Dust protecor (IR filter) ...

An "IR filter" passes IR and blocks visible light.

-- hide signature --

A note from the terminology police, LOL.
Ted

xpatUSA's gear list:xpatUSA's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sigma SD9 Sigma SD15 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +13 more
In2Lapland
In2Lapland Regular Member • Posts: 118

Don't worry you're not alone.

Had ordered a power grip PG-41, I will be waiting if it were not that I canceled the order after a year.

And when inquired, answers were along the lines of: problems with production line, shipping, order unknown. The real truth, still unknown.

It is here, in NL, that you must at least take into account a delivery time of 3 to 4 months ... (for sigma body accessories and SA mount lenses) However, since the introduction of the L-mount alliance, there has been no measure of delivery times, lets say it sucks.

And all that, also made me decide to invest in another camera brand besides sigma.

In2Lapland's gear list:In2Lapland's gear list
Sigma SD14 Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma sd Quattro Sigma sd Quattro H Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +18 more
SigmaTog

xpatUSA wrote:

Re: Dust protecor (IR filter) ...

An "IR filter" passes IR and blocks visible light.

Same with UV filters.....do you want it to pass UV or block UV....?

docmaas
docmaas Veteran Member • Posts: 6,844
Maybe the problem is simply a web issue

I ordered and received 2 for the Quattro, a replacement and a spare, and one for the SD1, a spare just 3 weeks ago or so.  I had written to Japan though complaining about availability so maybe mine was filled by Japan and sent from NY.  I don't know.  It's hard to talk to anyone in NY right now though as they are closed most of the time but if you could you might be able to get an answer.  Did you write to them?

Mike

-- hide signature --

"Laoma shitu" "An old horse knows the road" Chinese Proverb                                        "Dao ke dao, fei chang dao. Ming ke ming, fei chang ming" Laozi
"At every crossroads on the path that leads to the future, tradition has placed 10,000 men to guard the past."
Maurice Maeterlinck

EEvan
EEvan Regular Member • Posts: 199

I have a .stl file for one I made. It should fit 2mm thick by 34mm rounds. (That's what I could find cheaply for filters)

But I think anything under 38mm and thinner then 2mm can be made to fit. Actually the thinner the better for printing as that lip is to provide extra support for a thicker glass round.

danski0224 Senior Member • Posts: 1,211

You have to email them.

Last I checked, the dust protectors were in stock, at least for the sdQ. This was before Covid-19.

Sigma had me fill out a "parts request", then I was emailed back.

I suspect that people were ordering the wrong ones.

Of course, maybe those parts are really out of stock now.

-- hide signature --

Moments in Time, a work in progress.... https://www.flickr.com/gp/142423236@N08/965cs3

SigmaTog

EEvan wrote:

I have a .stl file for one I made. It should fit 2mm thick by 34mm rounds. (That's what I could find cheaply for filters)

But I think anything under 38mm and thinner then 2mm can be made to fit. Actually the thinner the better for printing as that lip is to provide extra support for a thicker glass round.

How can I purchase some of these please ?

PT
PT Contributing Member • Posts: 861

Scott, since you have been waiting so long for this part (as have others) perhaps you should send a email to Sigma Japan explaining the situation stressing the need for parts to be available in a timely manner.  Here is the part with the number :-

PT's gear list:PT's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T1 Sigma sd Quattro H +14 more
Roger Senior Member • Posts: 2,553
Scott

Greetings Sigma Guys

So Scott I'm not sure the parts are available any longer for the SD's any of them except the SDQ and SDQ-H.  I know the SD9, SD10, and SD14 are zero to none, maybe if you contact Japan. You might try Sigma Canada they are glad to help.

Good Luck

Roger J.

Scottelly
OP Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 14,946
Re: Scott

Roger wrote:

Greetings Sigma Guys

So Scott I'm not sure the parts are available any longer for the SD's any of them except the SDQ and SDQ-H. I know the SD9, SD10, and SD14 are zero to none, maybe if you contact Japan. You might try Sigma Canada they are glad to help.

Good Luck

Roger J.

Thanks Roger

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly

Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Nikon D810 Sigma sd Quattro H Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +23 more
Scottelly
OP Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 14,946

danski0224 wrote:

You have to email them.

Last I checked, the dust protectors were in stock, at least for the sdQ. This was before Covid-19.

Sigma had me fill out a "parts request", then I was emailed back.

I suspect that people were ordering the wrong ones.

Of course, maybe those parts are really out of stock now.

Maybe that explains why ALL the parts are showing as out of stock (backordered). Certainly they should change the way that works. I mean why not just contact the person to let them know they need confirmation or something, after letting people order their part? It doesn't make sense to me, if they really are in stock, but show as backordered on their website.

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly

EEvan
EEvan Regular Member • Posts: 199

SigmaTog wrote:

EEvan wrote:

How can I purchase some of these please ?

I don't have any anymore, but if you or know someone with a 3D printer you can print it yourself, i can just send you the .stl file.

You then need to buy a IR cut filter from somewhere (I've used ebay and Kolarvision)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/34mm-REAL-Anti-Reflective-Coated-Schott-BG-40-glass-IR-Cut-filter-color-correcti/192266861509?hash=item2cc3ff7bc5:g:tEAAAOSw3yVZg-ux:sc:USPSFirstClass!08054!US!-1

I'd be happy to mail out one next time I switch my printer back to ABS. But I wanted to offer the files for anyone who needs a replacement filter and wants to go the DIY route since I also got stuck waiting a while when I ordered some replacements as well.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads