max sync speed on dp2quattro

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
MauriceRR Regular Member • Posts: 441
max sync speed on dp2quattro

Hi,

I own a dp2quattro, I don't use it since I switched on a pro sony camera, but I am currently thinking about to reconvert it into a texture scanner, with a cross-polarization system.

If I remember well, this device with its leaf shutter can achieve high synchro speed with flash, wich would help me to take pictures with flash in outdoor conditions with very short exposure time.

Does anyone know how fast I can go ? I will need to find a way to use a ring flash I think.

Thanks,
Maurice.

Shawn67 Senior Member • Posts: 2,283
Re: max sync speed on dp2quattro
1

The idea of a max flash sync speed doesn't really apply to leaf shutters as they always fully open before closing. In other words you can use them with flash at all shutter speeds. You should check out your flashes duration at full power though. That might limit your effective top speed.

Shawn

Heritage Cameras
Heritage Cameras Senior Member • Posts: 1,581
Re: max sync speed on dp2quattro
1

MauriceRR wrote:

I own a dp2quattro, I don't use it since I switched on a pro sony camera, but I am currently thinking about to reconvert it into a texture scanner, with a cross-polarization system.

If I remember well, this device with its leaf shutter can achieve high synchro speed with flash, wich would help me to take pictures with flash in outdoor conditions with very short exposure time.

Does anyone know how fast I can go ? I will need to find a way to use a ring flash I think.

According to the Imaging Resource review, it's up to 1/1,250th at f/2.8, 1/1,600th at f/4 and 1/2,000th at f/5.6 (or smaller, presumably):

https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/sigma-dp2-quattro/sigma-dp2-quattroDAT.HTM

That assumes that your flash duration is shorter than those speeds, of course.

-- hide signature --

Dave, HCL

 Heritage Cameras's gear list:Heritage Cameras's gear list
Sony a7
Shawn67 Senior Member • Posts: 2,283
Re: max sync speed on dp2quattro
1

Heritage Cameras wrote:

MauriceRR wrote:

I own a dp2quattro, I don't use it since I switched on a pro sony camera, but I am currently thinking about to reconvert it into a texture scanner, with a cross-polarization system.

If I remember well, this device with its leaf shutter can achieve high synchro speed with flash, wich would help me to take pictures with flash in outdoor conditions with very short exposure time.

Does anyone know how fast I can go ? I will need to find a way to use a ring flash I think.

According to the Imaging Resource review, it's up to 1/1,250th at f/2.8, 1/1,600th at f/4 and 1/2,000th at f/5.6 (or smaller, presumably):

https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/sigma-dp2-quattro/sigma-dp2-quattroDAT.HTM

That assumes that your flash duration is shorter than those speeds, of course.

Those are the maximum shutter speeds for those apertures and because it is a leaf shutter flash can be at those speeds too.

Shawn

Scottelly
Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 14,914
Re: max sync speed on dp2quattro

Shawn67 wrote:

Heritage Cameras wrote:

MauriceRR wrote:

I own a dp2quattro, I don't use it since I switched on a pro sony camera, but I am currently thinking about to reconvert it into a texture scanner, with a cross-polarization system.

If I remember well, this device with its leaf shutter can achieve high synchro speed with flash, wich would help me to take pictures with flash in outdoor conditions with very short exposure time.

Does anyone know how fast I can go ? I will need to find a way to use a ring flash I think.

According to the Imaging Resource review, it's up to 1/1,250th at f/2.8, 1/1,600th at f/4 and 1/2,000th at f/5.6 (or smaller, presumably):

https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/sigma-dp2-quattro/sigma-dp2-quattroDAT.HTM

That assumes that your flash duration is shorter than those speeds, of course.

Those are the maximum shutter speeds for those apertures and because it is a leaf shutter flash can be at those speeds too.

Shawn

What if there's some delay in the activation of the flash?

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
https://www.bigprintphotos.com/

 Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Nikon D810 Sigma sd Quattro H Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +23 more
OP MauriceRR Regular Member • Posts: 441
Re: max sync speed on dp2quattro

OK i see ! Thank you very much !

So I Will probably be limited by flash duration especially for max power !

I Will invistigate on this side now.

Shawn67 Senior Member • Posts: 2,283
Re: max sync speed on dp2quattro
1

Scottelly wrote:

Shawn67 wrote:

Heritage Cameras wrote:

MauriceRR wrote:

I own a dp2quattro, I don't use it since I switched on a pro sony camera, but I am currently thinking about to reconvert it into a texture scanner, with a cross-polarization system.

If I remember well, this device with its leaf shutter can achieve high synchro speed with flash, wich would help me to take pictures with flash in outdoor conditions with very short exposure time.

Does anyone know how fast I can go ? I will need to find a way to use a ring flash I think.

According to the Imaging Resource review, it's up to 1/1,250th at f/2.8, 1/1,600th at f/4 and 1/2,000th at f/5.6 (or smaller, presumably):

https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/sigma-dp2-quattro/sigma-dp2-quattroDAT.HTM

That assumes that your flash duration is shorter than those speeds, of course.

Those are the maximum shutter speeds for those apertures and because it is a leaf shutter flash can be at those speeds too.

Shawn

What if there's some delay in the activation of the flash?

Then you need a better flash or radio system. Much of a delay there would be problematic for many cameras though.

Really though the biggest issue is flash duration at full power. I think quite a few flashes have a full power duration of around 1/220 to 1/400 of a second. So with a leaf shutter  you can shoot faster than that (and not get weird lighting artifacts like a focal plane shutter) you will be reducing the amount of light contributed from the flash. The way around that is multiple flashes at partial power(less flash duration).

Shawn

jande9
jande9 Senior Member • Posts: 1,524
Re: max sync speed on dp2quattro

Try it with the polarization filters too.  I have a variable ND filter that uses a pair of polarization filters and it doesn't work properly with my DP2M.  I get weird lobes of different exposures especially in the corners.

Jan

 jande9's gear list:jande9's gear list
Canon PowerShot A650 IS Sigma DP1s Sigma DP2 Merrill Panasonic FZ1000 Sony Alpha NEX-7 +4 more
OP MauriceRR Regular Member • Posts: 441
Re: max sync speed on dp2quattro

jande9 wrote:

Try it with the polarization filters too. I have a variable ND filter that uses a pair of polarization filters and it doesn't work properly with my DP2M. I get weird lobes of different exposures especially in the corners.

Jan

Oh thank you !

Imust do this test first for sure !

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads