A7RIV Batis 85 1.8 and sony 85 1.8

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Pennskull Forum Member • Posts: 65
A7RIV Batis 85 1.8 and sony 85 1.8

Do anyone have shots with the A7RIV with the sony 85 1.8 and batis 85 1.8? I want to upgrade to the 7RIV from my 7RII but worried about the sharpness of those lenses. I rather not have to upgrade my lens arsenal, and the 85's are my bread and butter lenses.

Sony a7 Sony a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
lélé Contributing Member • Posts: 600
Re: A7RIV Batis 85 1.8 and sony 85 1.8

Pennskull wrote:

Do anyone have shots with the A7RIV with the sony 85 1.8 and batis 85 1.8? I want to upgrade to the 7RIV from my 7RII but worried about the sharpness of those lenses. I rather not have to upgrade my lens arsenal, and the 85's are my bread and butter lenses.

Hello!

Lenses do not perform worse on higher resolution bodies. This an misconception caused by viewing pictures at 100%. Should you take pictures with the same lens using let's say a Sony a7 III and a Sony a7R IV, then display or print them at the same size, at worse the a7R IV will look similar and often it will look more detailled.

What is true on the other hand is that you don't use very sharp lenses, or you don't diaplay/print 'big', then the 61Mpx will offer very little to no advantage.

Both the Batis and the Sony (especially the Batis in my experience, but the difference is not huge so it may vary from unit to unit...) are quite sharp. You should get very good results. especially if you close them a bit.

lélé's gear list:lélé's gear list
Nikon D300 Sony a7R IV Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +13 more
mujana Veteran Member • Posts: 7,067

Pennskull wrote:

I upgraded from A7RII to A7RIV  last year. Kept my Batis 85 mm and it “works” great (IQ wise). Also fast. I really can recommend it.

mujana's gear list:mujana's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony a7R IV Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +6 more
OP Pennskull Forum Member • Posts: 65

Thanks for the answer but I would like to see the results with my own eyes, wide open and down to around f8 would be preferable

Do you have any full res samples? Preferably wide open?

mujana Veteran Member • Posts: 7,067

Pennskull wrote:

Do you have any full res samples? Preferably wide open?

Yes, but I’m not with my computer right now (not at home).

(Edit: there should be many examples on the internet)

mujana's gear list:mujana's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony a7R IV Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +6 more

Hmm I couldn't find any

RubberDials Senior Member • Posts: 1,273

Pennskull wrote:

Here's a bench test from Lens Rentals of both lenses. (The Batis ones are shown after the Sony, so scroll down).

You'll see that at the higher frequencies the Batis has much better resolution so will perform better on the A7rIV.

Additionally the Batis has IS, a mount gasket and better flare control. The 85FE was the lens that launched the famous stripe gate affair at the A7III launch, so it's internal baffling is definitely not the best.

Not crazy about the styling of the Batis, but of course you won't see that in the images.

A-Marc
A-Marc Contributing Member • Posts: 655

ja same here, the batis 85 was great on the r2 and now shines on my r4.

A-Marc's gear list:A-Marc's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a7R IV Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 +3 more

Do you have full res samples or maybe crops for pixel peeping? I just want to make sure it's up to my standards before even considering the R4

A-Marc

its beyond your standards

first one is full res jpeg, second is jpeg 75%.

Sony a7R II Sony a7R IV Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 +3 more
lattesweden
lattesweden Veteran Member • Posts: 3,782

https://sonyalpha.blog/2019/11/10/which-lenses-to-maximise-the-potential-of-the-sony-a7riv/

-- hide signature --

Best regards
/Anders
----------------------------------------------------
42 Megapixels is the answer to life, the universe and everything.
Gone in 20 fps.
You don't have to like my pictures, but it would help: http://www.lattermann.com/gallery

isks Forum Member • Posts: 63

lattesweden wrote:

https://sonyalpha.blog/2019/11/10/which-lenses-to-maximise-the-potential-of-the-sony-a7riv/

This list has come up before, and whoever rates any of the Batis lenses lower than the 55mm/1.8 is clearly looking at the wrong measure: the ones I have (25, 40 & 85) all outperform the 55mm by a wide margin in terms of sharpness, contrast and color.

Perhaps the author's objectivity is colored by his status as Sony Ambassador?

Pennskull wrote:

The Batis 85 is more than a match for the A7Riv, and retains its contrast and saturation wide open.

Here's a crop (for privacy reasons) at f/1.8:

Batis 85mm, f/1.8. Crop @ 100%, halfway from the center to the top right corner

Tes Ive seen that one, thats why I started to worry about the batis 85 and the sony 85 which are my main lenses for 7RII.

I dont need it to be so sharp that it hurts my eyes, just good enough resolution to be able to sharpen it in post without any wonkiness.

Thanks man! That looks as crisp as on my a7rii! Im pleasently surprised!

Pennskull wrote:

Thanks man! That looks as crisp as on my a7rii! Im pleasently surprised!

Yep; with head-and-shoulders portraits I can see whether I had a bad hair day through the reflections in the eye. It's crazy.

Finally I could watch the images on my computer (moved saturday and internet didn't start until today) and I could watch them in high res, easily sharp enough for me, all of them!

Do anyone have the sony 85 1.8 and can post any samples wide open?

Bonsainz Regular Member • Posts: 332

A-Marc wrote:

ja same here, the batis 85 was great on the r2 and now shines on my r4.

Great shots, I see looking at your Flickr post you shoot primes? Do you find them better on A7riv ? Looking at going the way of primes.

Bonsainz's gear list:Bonsainz's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a7R IV Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +1 more
A-Marc

i love primes for the way they force me to think and act more than what zooms would do.

zooms are comfy, zoom in, zoom out, but do not move your body or interact with your scene. primes take me deeper into the actual process of taking the pictures (personal taste) and i have to act/move. thats the main reason. second is they give me wider apetures and bit more sharpness.

the r4 is a beast on its own, it is quite challenging camera to shoot with.

i dont think that its a matter of camera lens combo, i think its more a matter of how you like to photograph.

if you like it comfy, stick to the version 3 bodys and zooms.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads