Coolpix A - Still Gorgeous

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Texas hobbyist
Texas hobbyist Contributing Member • Posts: 779
Re: Coolpix A - Still Gorgeous

Oh my, I haven't had my CPA out since I got my P950 but I'm heading to the river for a few days and I'll take the CPA with me and see what I can capture.  Great little camera!

Texas hobbyist's gear list:Texas hobbyist's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon Coolpix A Panasonic ZS100 Nikon Coolpix B700 Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS70 +3 more
Papa48
OP Papa48 Senior Member • Posts: 2,671
Re: Coolpix A - with iPhone XS and Z50

André BARELIER wrote:

2yota wrote:

Well, just for fun, I took a picture of my Coolpix A with my second Coolpix A (I guess this is as close to a CPA selfie as it gets):

CPA captured by another CPA

Since your original photo was captured with your iPhone 8, I figured what the heck, I'll shoot one with my iPhone XS too (just using the regular "photo" mode). Here's how that one turned out:

CPA captured with iPhone XS

Since I'm at it already, might as well take one with the Nikon Z50 (w/ 16-50mm kit lens) too just for fun:

CPA captured with Nikon Z50 w/ kit lens

- Ed

Funny comparison. No big surprise: 1 Z50 /2 CPA /3 Iphone

But the difference are so tiny that we can say that at low iso all cameras give the same results.

The differences will be obvious as soon as you raise the iso.

I'd rather have the Z50, though. 

Papa48's gear list:Papa48's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Fujifilm X-E2S Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
2yota Regular Member • Posts: 100

I observed a couple things:

1) a smartphone can be used in a pinch and still get great results with good lighting

2) images from CPA are magnificent even compared to a current generation Nikon.  
3) smartphones have some amazing built-in wizardry both when taking and processing the pictures.  Throw a bit of that wizardry into post processing a CPA raw image and it would yield even more amazing results.

So have fun out there with your CPA’s

2yota's gear list:2yota's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon Coolpix P340 Nikon D7500 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +11 more
Mackiesback
Mackiesback Senior Member • Posts: 8,341
Re: Coolpix A - Still Gorgeous

Texas hobbyist wrote:

Oh my, I haven't had my CPA out since I got my P950 but I'm heading to the river for a few days and I'll take the CPA with me and see what I can capture. Great little camera!

I am guilty as well. I think I will take mine on my walk today.

Mackiesback's gear list:Mackiesback's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D50 Nikon D100 Nikon Df Nikon Z6 +18 more
jimmy.walsh
jimmy.walsh Regular Member • Posts: 349

CPA captured by another CPA

Your post has reminded me how foolish I was to never pick up a black Coolpix A when they were available new. Yours looks like it's in perfect condition.

jimmy.walsh's gear list:jimmy.walsh's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E ED Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +2 more
Fugl Regular Member • Posts: 146

The CPA is an amazing camera, still! A viewfinder would have been nice, but ok.

The single thing that makes it stand out to me is its lens. That lens is superp even wide open. Crystal sharp and with contrast and color I have never seen in any of the other lenses, I have come across in my amateur photographic life.

Fugl's gear list:Fugl's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon Coolpix A Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +3 more
jimmy.walsh

Fugl wrote:

The single thing that makes it stand out to me is its lens. That lens is superp even wide open. Crystal sharp and with contrast and color I have never seen in any of the other lenses, I have come across in my amateur photographic life.

Did you know it came with an optional OVF? It was called the DF-CP1.

Nikon Coolpix A Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E ED Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +2 more
Fugl Regular Member • Posts: 146

Yes, thank you. I tried it, it didnt really work for me. Not precise enough unfortunately.

Fugl's gear list:Fugl's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon Coolpix A Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +3 more
Papa48

jimmy.walsh wrote:

Fugl wrote:

Your decked-out CPA looks like a street photographer's dream! I always would have liked one of those viewfinders, but for me they were priced way too high - and are actually still higher than the current value of any of my cameras.

jimmy.walsh

Papa48 wrote:

jimmy.walsh wrote:

Fugl wrote:

Your decked-out CPA looks like a street photographer's dream! I always would have liked one of those viewfinders, but for me they were priced way too high - and are actually still higher than the current value of any of my cameras.

Street photography is what I use my CPA for. You're right though: the prices for these accessories were definitely too high. I found the viewfinder and hood on sale at The Camera Store a few years ago. I had a friend buy it and bring it back to me in Australia. It was an indulgence but this camera does make me happy every time I use it.

Mackiesback

jimmy.walsh wrote:

Papa48 wrote:

jimmy.walsh wrote:

Fugl wrote:

Street photography is what I use my CPA for. You're right though: the prices for these accessories were definitely too high. I found the viewfinder and hood on sale at The Camera Store a few years ago. I had a friend buy it and bring it back to me in Australia. It was an indulgence but this camera does make me happy every time I use it.

For some reason I never lusted over an OVF for this model. I had a Sony RX100iv before it and it had an EVF but it was really horrible to use, so I guess I trained myself to use the back panel. I even use the back panel a lot now with my Z6.

What really cracked me up about this camera is that it came from Nikon with a neck strap. I don't think my Z6 came with a neck strap. It's pocket sized, why would I need a neck strap.

Papa48

Mackiesback wrote:

jimmy.walsh wrote:

Papa48 wrote:

jimmy.walsh wrote:

Fugl wrote:

For some reason I never lusted over an OVF for this model. I had a Sony RX100iv before it and it had an EVF but it was really horrible to use, so I guess I trained myself to use the back panel. I even use the back panel a lot now with my Z6.

What really cracked me up about this camera is that it came from Nikon with a neck strap. I don't think my Z6 came with a neck strap. It's pocket sized, why would I need a neck strap.

I like a neck strap because I can be completely hands-off with the camera always at the ready to raise for a quick shot. It's also the best insurance against dropping the camera. Hanging a small camera from my neck does sometimes bring curiosity. Someone even stepped up and asked me about "my curious-looking little camera" last summer. It ended in a good little conversation. A friend at a local brick and mortar store later messaged me on Instagram a few days later that she came in telling the story, and asking about availability of that model.

Mackiesback

Papa48 wrote:

Mackiesback wrote:

jimmy.walsh wrote:

Papa48 wrote:

jimmy.walsh wrote:

Fugl wrote:

I like a neck strap because I can be completely hands-off with the camera always at the ready to raise for a quick shot. It's also the best insurance against dropping the camera. Hanging a small camera from my neck does sometimes bring curiosity. Someone even stepped up and asked me about "my curious-looking little camera" last summer. It ended in a good little conversation. A friend at a local brick and mortar store later messaged me on Instagram a few days later that she came in telling the story, and asking about availability of that model.

Interesting. I just use a light wrist strap, I don't feel that holds me back in any way. Always at the ready.

Papa48

Mackiesback wrote:

Papa48 wrote:

Mackiesback wrote:

jimmy.walsh wrote:

Papa48 wrote:

jimmy.walsh wrote:

Fugl wrote:

Interesting. I just use a light wrist strap, I don't feel that holds me back in any way. Always at the ready.

Me, too. However now that hand is taken up, just holding the camera.

Mackiesback

Papa48 wrote:

Mackiesback wrote:

Papa48 wrote:

Mackiesback wrote:

jimmy.walsh wrote:

Papa48 wrote:

jimmy.walsh wrote:

Fugl wrote:

Me, too. However that hand is taken up, just holding the camera.

True, but often at a car show or an event, I just let it dangle if I have to grab something.

I even use a wrist strap on my Z6 now. I guess over the years I have really gotten sick of neck straps.

Papa48

Mackiesback wrote:

Papa48 wrote:

Mackiesback wrote:

Papa48 wrote:

Mackiesback wrote:

jimmy.walsh wrote:

Papa48 wrote:

jimmy.walsh wrote:

Fugl wrote:

Me, too. However that hand is taken up, just holding the camera.

True, but often at a car show or an event, I just let it dangle if I have to grab something.

I even use a wrist strap on my Z6 now. I guess over the years I have really gotten sick of neck straps.

I understand.

WPMChan Contributing Member • Posts: 991

Papa48 wrote:

I like a neck strap because  . . . .. It's also the best insurance against dropping the camera.

Same here.

I found the black neck strap coming with the camera a bit too bulky. It doesn't fit inside my camera pouch.

I have replaced it with the one that came with my old Nikon E2500. I have also attached the ML-L3 remote on it. The front pocket with my pouch is only big enough for my spare battery.

I am also fine with the LCD. It is nice, big and clear.

My A1000 came with an EVF. I never bother with using it. Its touch capable LCD works well for me.

blaster182
blaster182 Forum Member • Posts: 56

I have a wrist strap attached to the camera most of the time. Recently I have often been using the neck strap, to have my hands free or if I haven't got a large enough pocket on my clothes. I have found two Nite Ize S-biners size 0.5 perfect for quickly attaching the neck strap.

blaster182's gear list:blaster182's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D7200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX33 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +7 more
Papa48
Hanging Flowers

From our yard this morning (raw processed in Silkypix Developer Studio Pro 10). This camera could definitely come out more often.

Dodge_Rock
Dodge_Rock Senior Member • Posts: 2,638
Re: Hanging Flowers

Papa48 wrote:

From our yard this morning (raw processed in Silkypix Developer Studio Pro 10). This camera could definitely come out more often.

Pretty view/scene!

Dodge_Rock's gear list:Dodge_Rock's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P950
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads