Extreme Teal&Orange mode (Warning: colors not for the faint of heart!)

Started Apr 27, 2020 | Discussions
G Radford Contributing Member • Posts: 926
Extreme Teal&Orange mode (Warning: colors not for the faint of heart!)

With the dust protector removed on my sdQH, I'm using a Kolarivision IR Chrome filter which gives an instant "red foliage" Aerochrome look. For these, I switched from Standard Mode to T&O mode, which seems to accent the blues, with cooler reds.

G Radford's gear list:G Radford's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony a7R Sigma sd Quattro H Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro
xpatUSA
xpatUSA Forum Pro • Posts: 18,839
Re: Extreme Teal&Orange mode (Warning: colors not for the faint of heart!)

Outstanding work, Gary!

Helluva red in that first one, well-complemented by the blues.

-- hide signature --

There is more than one way to skin a cat ...
Ted

xpatUSA's gear list:xpatUSA's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 Sigma SD9 Sigma SD15 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +14 more
OP G Radford Contributing Member • Posts: 926

Thanks Ted.

Gotta try new things!

Olympus E-M1 Sony a7R Sigma sd Quattro H Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro
SigmaTog
SigmaTog Contributing Member • Posts: 975

Beaut work Gary
What is the original intent of this Teal & Orange Please ?

Thanks Colin,

Teal & Orange basically emphasizes the cyan/blue and orange color range of a scene. It's a very popular cinematographers color mode, used in many current action and superhero movies, so I'm guessing Sigma added it, to compliment the "CINE" color mode.

With the IR Chrome filter, the T&O mode seems to remove the slight reddish cast from the image, creating a sharper definition between blue and red.

-Gary

xpatUSA

G Radford wrote:

Thanks Colin,

Teal & Orange basically emphasizes the cyan/blue and orange color range of a scene. It's a very popular cinematographers color mode, used in many current action and superhero movies, so I'm guessing Sigma added it, to [complement] the "CINE" color mode.

Indeed, found this just a few minutes ago:

Some editing just upgraded ...

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/exposure-x5-software-review

-- hide signature --

Ted

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 Sigma SD9 Sigma SD15 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +14 more

Hi Ted,

Before this upgrade, I wasn't even aware that this was a industry standard cinematic tool. Surprised that it's included with Exposure X5.

-Gary

xpatUSA

G Radford wrote:

Hi Ted,

Before this upgrade, I wasn't even aware that this was a industry standard cinematic tool. Surprised that it's included with Exposure X5.

Posting this diatribe again, in case you missed it.

http://theabyssgazes.blogspot.com/2010/03/teal-and-orange-hollywood-please-stop.html

-- hide signature --

Ted

SigmaTog
SigmaTog Contributing Member • Posts: 975

Thanks Gary & Ted, interesting idea....
The "Into The Abyss" was an eye opener & freak show all at once.....;-)

tagscuderia
tagscuderia Senior Member • Posts: 1,878
Shield your eyes!!

G Radford wrote:

With the dust protector removed on my sdQH, I'm using a Kolarivision IR Chrome filter which gives an instant "red foliage" Aerochrome look.

I was certain that you were going to go full fat Aerochrome (i.e. not the expired film shot with a 550nm filter), but you surprised me with an IR Chrome plus SIGMA's T&O colour mode. Did the colour mode make much of a difference? I decided against the IR Chrome so I don't know how it performs with Foveon, thanks.

I shot some 550nm last week, only ever intended for monochrome but... if you want colours not for the faint of heart

B+W 099 and no channel swap thus hello teal skies − the foliage is kind of orange... ? I don't think that Michael Bay would be impressed though

tagscuderia's gear list:tagscuderia's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Sigma 50-100mm F1.8 DC HSM Art
Re: Shield your eyes!!

Cool shot! It appears to be a very vivid red on my monitor.

In my first attempt with the IR Chrome, on the sdQH, you can see lots of red and warm tones, bleeding into other areas of the image...way too much red for my liking.

Teal & Orange mode seems to sharply contrast infrared targets as red, and non-infrared targets as blue. Ontario landscapes are fairly bland this time of year, but the red/blue color contrast really pops, in T&O mode.

Cheers, Gary

tagscuderia

G Radford wrote:

Cool shot! It appears to be a very vivid red on my monitor.

Thanks, but I think that "cool" is far too kind!  I was pleased by the Luminosity rendering though; I've been trying to make my Infracolour shots look like Infrared vs just colour toned.

One of the things that I love about IR photography is that you look for photo ops in a different way, I picked that shot because it was an oak and a pine together, I'd hoped that they may present different hues a la your photo below... unfortunately the entire scene was basked in strong sunlight, so there's just no subtlety; I went back the next day hoping to capture them side lit but at that time, the sun hides behind other trees. C'est la vie.

In my first attempt with the IR Chrome, on the sdQH, you can see lots of red and warm tones, bleeding into other areas of the image...way too much red for my liking.

Reminds me very much of the Full Spectrum images that my SD1M produces, especially if you change the WB in post. Does the IR Chrome require a Custom WB? If so what advantages do you see over Full Spectrum... I hope that you don't mind my picking your brain?!

Teal & Orange mode seems to sharply contrast infrared targets as red, and non-infrared targets as blue. Ontario landscapes are fairly bland this time of year, but the red/blue color contrast really pops, in T&O mode.

You make an interesting point, I'm normally removing Cyan from my shadows (099 shots), could be worth embracing!

Cheers Gary, and I hope that you'll continue to post your IR and Infracolour shots, it makes for nice reading when it's a fellow Foveon shooter!

Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Sigma 50-100mm F1.8 DC HSM Art

Whether you're shooting bw, infrared or normal, it does force you to think in a specific way. On the sdQH, I really enjoy Monochrome IR for the dramatic skies, but the summer months are a great time to experiment with color IR.

The most authentic looking Aerochrome-like colors I've had, are with my FS-converted Sony a7R, using the Nick Spiker Aerochrome profile. You end up with subtle red/magenta tones, along with Aerochrome-like color switches (ie. red car tail-ights switch to yellow/green). https://www.nickspiker.com/blog/search-digital-kodak-aerochrome/

I think the color is better on SD1M, but LV on the SDQ is essential for bw IR. I use CWB on a gray target, for all color IR shots, with no filter and with the IR Chrome filter.

On my FS-converted Sony a7R, I gave up on the IR Chrome, because grass and foliage always ended up looking orange. On the sdQH, everything is red, with sharply contrasting blue. It's unique, so I'll see how far it goes.

Here's a couple more sdQH/IR Chrome shots.
All the Best, Gary

tagscuderia

G Radford wrote:

The most authentic looking Aerochrome-like colors I've had, are with my FS-converted Sony a7R, using the Nick Spiker Aerochrome profile. You end up with subtle red/magenta tones, along with Aerochrome-like color switches (ie. red car tail-ights switch to yellow/green). https://www.nickspiker.com/blog/search-digital-kodak-aerochrome/

Nick's examples show what I've recently come to appreciate regards Aerochrome... it's a low contrast, low saturation film stock! Something that I subconsciously steer clear of; my processing just swings the other way.

I did look at producing my own RAW converter for Infracolour but despite my best efforts, whatever logic I applied for WB just didn't work

I think the color is better on SD1M, but LV on the SDQ is essential for bw IR.

I handhold 720nm IR shots with the SD1M, I use an oversized filter so it's easy to cover the front of the lens and snap away:

The Batman cometh?

I use CWB on a gray target, for all color IR shots, with no filter and with the IR Chrome filter.

Cool, thanks − I do likewise.

On my FS-converted Sony a7R, I gave up on the IR Chrome, because grass and foliage always ended up looking orange. On the sdQH, everything is red, with sharply contrasting blue. It's unique, so I'll see how far it goes.

I've been playing with colour correcting my B+W 099 shots sans Channel Swap. But not having true white and black points in a shot is frustrating me, I need to change to a mathematical approach I think (... it worked so well the last time!)

In a fit of pique I did stumble across an adjustment that mimicked 590nm Infracolour, using a Channel Swap though hence the halos around the top of the tree line. P.S. the lighthouse wasn't meant to be so central but I had to crop out a massive flare caused by the filter; old school, no coatings...

As per usual though there's not much subtlety, and far too contrasty

Cheers.

tagscuderia wrote:

G Radford wrote:

Nick's examples show what I've recently come to appreciate regards Aerochrome... it's a low contrast, low saturation film stock! Something that I subconsciously steer clear of; my processing just swings the other way.

I did look at producing my own RAW converter for Infracolour but despite my best efforts, whatever logic I applied for WB just didn't work

I like some of the results I've had with the NS profile, but it's a slow process. I've seen some impressive digital Aerochrome results using software written with Matlab, but that's currently beyond my skills.

If you don't mind the lower res, the DP1, DP1x or DP1s, are easily converted to FS.

The Ford GT was actually red, in this SOOC shot with a FS-DP1x.

I think the color is better on SD1M, but LV on the SDQ is essential for bw IR.

I handhold 720nm IR shots with the SD1M, I use an oversized filter so it's easy to cover the front of the lens and snap away:

Nice work! The SD1M is great build, but I just can't fathom the lack of LV on any modern digital. I originally tried a 850nm on the sdQH, but decided to stick with 720nm to gain some exposure for handheld shots. So far, I'm impressed with sdQH monochrome mode, and looking forward to more bw IR once everything is in bloom.

The Batman cometh?

I use CWB on a gray target, for all color IR shots, with no filter and with the IR Chrome filter.

Cool, thanks − I do likewise.

I've been playing with colour correcting my B+W 099 shots sans Channel Swap. But not having true white and black points in a shot is frustrating me, I need to change to a mathematical approach I think (... it worked so well the last time!)

I've done a lot of the "Goldie" and every other CIR variation in the past, but my current interest is Aerochrome-style, with foveon/Quattro sensors. The halos in high contrast areas, seem to be a common issue with Channel Mixer swaps.

In a fit of pique I did stumble across an adjustment that mimicked 590nm Infracolour, using a Channel Swap though hence the halos around the top of the tree line. P.S. the lighthouse wasn't meant to be so central but I had to crop out a massive flare caused by the filter; old school, no coatings...

As per usual though there's not much subtlety, and far too contrasty

Cheers.

Check to see if your vintage, uncoated lens is UV capable. Some legacy lenses are quite valuable in the UV community. <400 UV photography only works in monochrome mode on the foveon sensor. For color UV, you need a Bayer-sensor.

-Gary

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads