Another cheater - "winner"...

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
tasad Senior Member • Posts: 1,285
Another cheater - "winner"...
20

In this challenge https://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Challenge.aspx?ID=14294&View=Results&Rows=4 ... entries have to be taken after 6th April , 2020 ...

The challenge's  "winner" is a cheater who falsified the date taken :https://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Entry.aspx?ID=1141880&View=Results&Rows=4

This picture was not taken on 17th April , 2020 :

It was taken on 24th November , 2019 :

The picture was posted on the cheater's Instagram account on 25th November 2019

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5S_AH3HYnI/

Wildbegonia
Wildbegonia Contributing Member • Posts: 872
Re: Another cheater - "winner"...
4

Thank you so much tasad for your diligent work.

It seems to me this member do not have much participation in the Challenges, or has few photos in his gallery that had been taken recently. But for the once in a while he/she participates, she/he must resource to cheating in order to win.

This is so sad!😐

Keep safe.

-- hide signature --

'Balls! Said the Queen, if I have them, I'll be the King'.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so. Kant

 Wildbegonia's gear list:Wildbegonia's gear list
Pentax K200D
tony field Forum Pro • Posts: 10,934
Re: Another cheater - "winner"...
3

I wouldn't be surprised if this date cheating happens on many images certainly in the top 1 2 and 3 images

-- hide signature --

Charles Darwin: "ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge."
tony
http://www.tphoto.ca

Trevor Carpenter
Trevor Carpenter Forum Pro • Posts: 17,177
Re: Another cheater - "winner"...
3

tony field wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if this date cheating happens on many images certainly in the top 1 2 and 3 images

If this is the case I would suggest that the perpetrators have serious mental health problems and should seek medical advice.

-- hide signature --

Recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

 Trevor Carpenter's gear list:Trevor Carpenter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S +1 more
OP tasad Senior Member • Posts: 1,285
Re: Another cheater - "winner"...
1

Thank you!

OP tasad Senior Member • Posts: 1,285
Re: Another cheater - "winner"...
2

tony field wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if this date cheating happens on many images certainly in the top 1 2 and 3 images

It happens...

cjf2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,093
Re: Another cheater - "winner"...
2

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

If this is the case I would suggest that the perpetrators have serious mental health problems and should seek medical advice.

Come on Trevor. This is an internet forum and most of us here are on the spectrum somewhere looking askance at those further to our left or right!

OP tasad Senior Member • Posts: 1,285
Re: Another cheater - "winner"...
5

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

tony field wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if this date cheating happens on many images certainly in the top 1 2 and 3 images

If this is the case I would suggest that the perpetrators have serious mental health problems and should seek medical advice.

Sadly , there are no pills to treat sociopaths.

New Day Rising
New Day Rising Senior Member • Posts: 4,946
Re: Another cheater - "winner"...
3

tasad wrote:

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

tony field wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if this date cheating happens on many images certainly in the top 1 2 and 3 images

If this is the case I would suggest that the perpetrators have serious mental health problems and should seek medical advice.

Sadly , there are no pills to treat sociopaths.

Seriously? You're declaring someone a sociopath because they cheat in a DPR photo challenge?

-- hide signature --

You're such an inspiration for the ways
That I'll never ever choose to be

 New Day Rising's gear list:New Day Rising's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D50 Canon EOS 550D Sony Alpha NEX-6 Fujifilm X-T1 +13 more
OP tasad Senior Member • Posts: 1,285
Re: Another cheater - "winner"...
11

New Day Rising wrote:

tasad wrote:

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

tony field wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if this date cheating happens on many images certainly in the top 1 2 and 3 images

If this is the case I would suggest that the perpetrators have serious mental health problems and should seek medical advice.

Sadly , there are no pills to treat sociopaths.

Seriously? You're declaring someone a sociopath because they cheat in a DPR photo challenge?

Any ideas for a  "better" word ?...

jrtrent Veteran Member • Posts: 5,954
Re: Another cheater - "winner"...
7

New Day Rising wrote:

tasad wrote:

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

tony field wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if this date cheating happens on many images certainly in the top 1 2 and 3 images

If this is the case I would suggest that the perpetrators have serious mental health problems and should seek medical advice.

Sadly , there are no pills to treat sociopaths.

Seriously? You're declaring someone a sociopath because they cheat in a DPR photo challenge?

Don't you think it's at least an indication? A desperate person might resort to wrong-doing when they don't see another way out (e.g., stealing to get food for a starving family) without its being considered sociopathic behavior, but to cheat at games, like the DPR challenges, where there is no tangible prize, where the gain might just be self-aggrandizement or the thrill of getting away with it, seems to fit WebMD's description of sociopaths and psychopaths, "People like this have a poor inner sense of right and wrong. They also can’t seem to understand or share another person’s feelings."

If a person cheats simply for the purpose of hurting others or of spoiling other people's fun, then it's more sadistic than sociopathic behavior.

New Day Rising
New Day Rising Senior Member • Posts: 4,946
Re: Another cheater - "winner"...
1

tasad wrote:

New Day Rising wrote:

tasad wrote:

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

tony field wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if this date cheating happens on many images certainly in the top 1 2 and 3 images

If this is the case I would suggest that the perpetrators have serious mental health problems and should seek medical advice.

Sadly , there are no pills to treat sociopaths.

Seriously? You're declaring someone a sociopath because they cheat in a DPR photo challenge?

Any ideas for a "better" word ?...

You used the word "cheater" in your first post. I would have thought that pretty much covers it.

-- hide signature --

You're such an inspiration for the ways
That I'll never ever choose to be

 New Day Rising's gear list:New Day Rising's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D50 Canon EOS 550D Sony Alpha NEX-6 Fujifilm X-T1 +13 more
New Day Rising
New Day Rising Senior Member • Posts: 4,946
Re: Another cheater - "winner"...
3

jrtrent wrote:

New Day Rising wrote:

tasad wrote:

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

tony field wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if this date cheating happens on many images certainly in the top 1 2 and 3 images

If this is the case I would suggest that the perpetrators have serious mental health problems and should seek medical advice.

Sadly , there are no pills to treat sociopaths.

Seriously? You're declaring someone a sociopath because they cheat in a DPR photo challenge?

Don't you think it's at least an indication?

Perhaps, but a very weak one at best. On that basis you could label anyone who does something knowing it is wrong - wherever it lies on the spectrum from dropping an empty chip packet on the ground or driving at 70 km/h in a 60 zone right, through to cutting up and eating their grandmother - as a sociopath.

A desperate person might resort to wrong-doing when they don't see another way out (e.g., stealing to get food for a starving family) without its being considered sociopathic behavior, but to cheat at games, like the DPR challenges, where there is no tangible prize, where the gain might just be self-aggrandizement or the thrill of getting away with it, seems to fit WebMD's description of sociopaths and psychopaths, "People like this have a poor inner sense of right and wrong. They also can’t seem to understand or share another person’s feelings."

If a person cheats simply for the purpose of hurting others or of spoiling other people's fun, then it's more sadistic than sociopathic behavior.

If they are doing it simply for that reason it could be one indication of sociopathy. I wouldn't think it likely to be sadistic as the person would have no way of knowing whether others were actually being hurt, and no way of witnessing or experiencing the pain (and therefore gaining satisfaction from it) if they were.

In any case, that assumes the person is cheating for that reason. It is at least as likely to be a manifestation of insecurity - creating an opportunity to feel better about themselves by "winning".

Either way, it also depends on whether cheating on DPR falls within a spectrum of wrongful behaviours - whether it is one of many ways the person seeks to harm others or to feel better about themselves - or whether it is an aberration among a set of otherwise "normal" behaviours.

Still, I think labelling someone a sociopath when essentially nothing is known about them except they broke the rules in an ultimately insignificant photography competition (one known for the regular violation and gaming of its rules, for what that's worth) is a bit OTT (Over The Top).

-- hide signature --

You're such an inspiration for the ways
That I'll never ever choose to be

 New Day Rising's gear list:New Day Rising's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D50 Canon EOS 550D Sony Alpha NEX-6 Fujifilm X-T1 +13 more
Wu Jiaqiu
Wu Jiaqiu Forum Pro • Posts: 26,920
Re: Another cheater - "winner"...
2

New Day Rising wrote:

jrtrent wrote:

New Day Rising wrote:

tasad wrote:

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

tony field wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if this date cheating happens on many images certainly in the top 1 2 and 3 images

If this is the case I would suggest that the perpetrators have serious mental health problems and should seek medical advice.

Sadly , there are no pills to treat sociopaths.

Seriously? You're declaring someone a sociopath because they cheat in a DPR photo challenge?

Don't you think it's at least an indication?

Perhaps, but a very weak one at best. On that basis you could label anyone who does something knowing it is wrong - wherever it lies on the spectrum from dropping an empty chip packet on the ground or driving at 70 km/h in a 60 zone right, through to cutting up and eating their grandmother - as a sociopath.

A desperate person might resort to wrong-doing when they don't see another way out (e.g., stealing to get food for a starving family) without its being considered sociopathic behavior, but to cheat at games, like the DPR challenges, where there is no tangible prize, where the gain might just be self-aggrandizement or the thrill of getting away with it, seems to fit WebMD's description of sociopaths and psychopaths, "People like this have a poor inner sense of right and wrong. They also can’t seem to understand or share another person’s feelings."

If a person cheats simply for the purpose of hurting others or of spoiling other people's fun, then it's more sadistic than sociopathic behavior.

If they are doing it simply for that reason it could be one indication of sociopathy. I wouldn't think it likely to be sadistic as the person would have no way of knowing whether others were actually being hurt, and no way of witnessing or experiencing the pain (and therefore gaining satisfaction from it) if they were.

In any case, that assumes the person is cheating for that reason. It is at least as likely to be a manifestation of insecurity - creating an opportunity to feel better about themselves by "winning".

Either way, it also depends on whether cheating on DPR falls within a spectrum of wrongful behaviours - whether it is one of many ways the person seeks to harm others or to feel better about themselves - or whether it is an aberration among a set of otherwise "normal" behaviours.

Still, I think labelling someone a sociopath when essentially nothing is known about them except they broke the rules in an ultimately insignificant photography competition (one known for the regular violation and gaming of its rules, for what that's worth) is a bit OTT (Over The Top).

it's just name calling really, unless they have relevant expertise then it's just an opinion....based on a photo challenge.....on a website......we do live in a funny old world

-- hide signature --

the computer says no

 Wu Jiaqiu's gear list:Wu Jiaqiu's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D2Xs Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +3 more
OP tasad Senior Member • Posts: 1,285
Re: Another cheater - "winner"...
15

New Day Rising wrote:

You used the word "cheater" in your first post. I would have thought that pretty much covers it.

Some of the typical symptoms of sociopathy are :

.... a disregard for rules, norms, or boundaries .

....repeatedly lying or deceiving to accomplish personal gain.

A challenge with a "date taken" restriction can't be entered if a picture was taken before "announced date" : the system automaticly rejects it. So , when the system rejected the picture , Jerry_JMK deliberately falsified the "date taken" to fool the community ( the host, co-entrants, voters and viewers) . He lied , that he saw the  scene ( including the crowd) and shot the picture on 17th April , 2020 :

In fact , the place was closed for visitors from 13th. March , 2020 :

He  begins to cheat 10 years ago... In this challenge entries have to be taken after 7th November , 2009 :

https://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Entry.aspx?ID=184306

He stated , that his entry was taken on 17th November , 2009 :

The picture doesn't have exif data , but it was entered here as taken on 1st. Oct.2009 :

https://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Entry.aspx?ID=291180

He posted the picture on his Flickr account ( the account is closed) on 1st. Oct.2009 :

His Flick'r user name was "elchivato"...

New Day Rising
New Day Rising Senior Member • Posts: 4,946
Re: Another cheater - "winner"...

Continue feeling that is sufficient evidence to declare someone a sociopath if you like. I think you are rather more emotionally invested in the topic than I am.

-- hide signature --

You're such an inspiration for the ways
That I'll never ever choose to be

 New Day Rising's gear list:New Day Rising's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D50 Canon EOS 550D Sony Alpha NEX-6 Fujifilm X-T1 +13 more
jh2bh Contributing Member • Posts: 744
Re: Another cheater - "winner"...
6

I think that trying to make these challenges as fair as possible is a goal we all should push toward.

Outing the "date taken cheaters" is admirable work.  I wish there was an easy way to out the low vote cheaters.  I wish there was more effort to shame those who don't vote.

Barry Twycross Veteran Member • Posts: 3,305
Re: Another cheater - "winner"...

jh2bh wrote:

I wish there was more effort to shame those who don't vote.

That sounds really counter productive.

 Barry Twycross's gear list:Barry Twycross's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Fujifilm GFX 50R Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Fujifilm GF 110mm F2 +9 more
REHS
REHS Forum Member • Posts: 97
Re: Another cheater - "winner"...
5

Ditto, jh2bh,

I have been encouraged by a few very talented photographers on this site to VOTE.  It was one of the best suggestions I have ever received on this site.  Taking the time to carefully evaluate each entry, in a full screen mode, is teaching me "What makes a photo good".  The fact that my entry gets a high rating may make me feel proud, but what good has really happened?  Did I learn anything?  After casting 10,000 deligent votes, I have a much better understanding of why my low ranking images got the ratings that they did.  It's easy to blame cellphones and extra accounts for low ratings, but consultation with seasoned members has taught me that I miss lots of important details when I go through my editing/post-processing process.

Voting/evaluating images helps so much in learning what makes a picture 'good', and also, where, and how, an image can be improved.  Another fun part of voting is in comparing your own voting results with the finalized rankings,  This is a great calibrator in honing your evaluation skills.  It is also useful for helping others when their "good picture" doesn't jive with their final rankings.  Because, as  we have all seen, good images still get .5s.  If more people voted (and voted honestly) then those few .5s would not impact the final rankings as much.

So,,, to anyone reading this email, please consider voting!  The rewards will help in developing a more discerning eye, and therefore, make you a better photographer.

Mike

 REHS's gear list:REHS's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 +1 more
cjf2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,093
Re: Another cheater - "winner"...
1

Well said,  Mike.
I too am enjoying voting, especially as I have more time on my hands due to the virus.

It is not possible to win every challenge yourself but it is possible to enjoy the success of every winner and to praise those whose good images did not place as highly as you felt they should have done.

I aim to vote on all entries of most of the challenges in which I have no entry. It is time we’ll spent.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads