Help Please! Geotagging

Started Apr 26, 2020 | Discussions
AW9nineteen Regular Member • Posts: 108
Help Please! Geotagging

Can someone please help me figure out the best way to add location to the photos from my A7R3? It doesn’t matter if it is during the shot or in post. I’ve tried the Sony app which doesn’t work, and I have tried Lightroom, but that doesn’t actually do it either. At a complete loss at it being 2020 and I can’t get reliable photo information, or even add it later.

Thank you

AW9nineteen's gear list:AW9nineteen's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4
splashy
splashy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,554
Re: Help Please! Geotagging

You need a track from that specific route.

Cameratime should be updated

Software will do the rest

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=best+software+to+geotag+photos

splashy's gear list:splashy's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 20mm F1.8G Tamron 28-200mm F2.8-5.6 +1 more
Robnic Regular Member • Posts: 109

I'm using Imaging Edge Mobile (Adroid) version 7.2.1 and geo tagging works fine (I have A7R4)  You can download older version in the net. Don't remember exactly where i have downloaded it, do a search in Google.

-- hide signature --

Roberto Nicchi - Smugmug

Robnic's gear list:Robnic's gear list
Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Fujifilm X100V Sony a7R IV Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6
ssww Regular Member • Posts: 324

I am using the latest version of Imaging Edge Mobile (7.3.2) on my Samsung Galaxy S9 with my a7r iii.  So far the setup has worked flawlessly (knock on the wood).  Note that whether the app works or not is phone dependent as I couldn't get it to work on my other phone no matter what I had tried.

Huey71
Huey71 New Member • Posts: 5

I find that Imaging Edge works great on my A7Riii, until it doesn't. Therefore, for casual shooting I will use a GPS app on my iPhone to generate a GPX track which I then import into Lightroom and use to geotag the photos. For serious shooting, I record a GPX track on a hand held GPS device which tends to be more accurate, especially in difficult locations like canyons and heavy tree cover.

Huey71's gear list:Huey71's gear list
Canon PowerShot S2 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS6 Sony SLT-A65 Sony a6000 Sony a77 II +33 more
rjensen11
rjensen11 Regular Member • Posts: 487

I could never get the Sony app to work consistently. It would seem to work around the house, but then not when I'm in outdoors. It made no sense.

I always use the AllTrails app when I'm out, so I just turn it on for the GPS log (it doesn't have to be on a trail to record the GPS information. Then I download the GPS log from the AllTrails website and merge the readings with the image files in Lightroom.

I'm sure there are easier ways to do it, any many alternatives to AllTrails, but I wanted something that I could count on 100% of the time, and this works.

rjensen11's gear list:rjensen11's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Sony a7R III
SilvanBromide Veteran Member • Posts: 4,707

AW9nineteen wrote:

Can someone please help me figure out the best way to add location to the photos from my A7R3? It doesn’t matter if it is during the shot or in post. I’ve tried the Sony app which doesn’t work, and I have tried Lightroom, but that doesn’t actually do it either. At a complete loss at it being 2020 and I can’t get reliable photo information, or even add it later.

Thank you

I've found bluetooth syncing to add location data in real time using the current version of Imaging Edge Mobile on an iPhone with iOS v13 works consistently with the a7Riii and the a7iii (and I also tried it with an a9iii and that worked fine as well).

I've also used IEM (and before that, PMM) on earlier version of iOS and on various flavours of Android, and the results were less consistent. With the current iOS it seems pretty stable.

Meanwhile, for older images that don't have geotags embedded, I currently use the Exif Editor application on MacOS to add or edit the location tags:

https://exifeditor.com/

I don't think the Exif Editor app is available for Windows, but there are quite a few other options the work similarly.

-- hide signature --

Former Canon, Nikon and Pentax user.
Online Gallery: https://500px.com/raycologon

SilvanBromide's gear list:SilvanBromide's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a1 Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 Sony FE 14mm F1.8 GM +27 more
OP AW9nineteen Regular Member • Posts: 108

SilvanBromide wrote:

AW9nineteen wrote:

Thank you

I've found bluetooth syncing to add location data in real time using the current version of Imaging Edge Mobile on an iPhone with iOS v13 works consistently with the a7Riii and the a7iii (and I also tried it with an a9iii and that worked fine as well).

I've also used IEM (and before that, PMM) on earlier version of iOS and on various flavours of Android, and the results were less consistent. With the current iOS it seems pretty stable.

Meanwhile, for older images that don't have geotags embedded, I currently use the Exif Editor application on MacOS to add or edit the location tags:

https://exifeditor.com/

I don't think the Exif Editor app is available for Windows, but there are quite a few other options the work similarly.

Thanks! This might work the best. I have the Image App on my phone and it doesn’t work. I have an iPhone and all applications from through that and a Mac. If I can do it after on my Mac I am ok with that too. Exif editor it is.

AW9nineteen's gear list:AW9nineteen's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads