iPhone SE 2020 Review

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Greybeard2017
Greybeard2017 Senior Member • Posts: 1,380
iPhone SE 2020 Review

Some preliminary thoughts about the new SE from someone who is switching from the original SE and hasn't used any other iPhone.

The most obvious and biggest difference is the size, weight and form factor of the new phone - these are all negatives but after a couple of weeks (and after shipping back the old phone) I'm sure I'll forget about the difference. Its still very easy to carry everywhere.

The same is true of the home button - I much prefer the feel of the original button - feels much more mechanical and solid than the new button - presumably the change helps with weather proofing (which is a definite positive) so I'm sure I'll get used to it.

I never really do any heavy duty processing on my phone so, although everything works very quickly with the new chip I never really had any problems with the old one.

The camera seems a significant upgrade - after comparing a few images there seems to be more detail and an improvement in sharpness. Daylight images are very good - at this time of year the light is very difficult - bright sunshine and deep shadows and the camera does a pretty good job. It does seem to be prone to blowing out highlights sometimes (such as white flowers on a green foliage background) but again these are difficult subjects. The camera won't replace my Fuji but again its much easier to carry everywhere.

As I've noted on the forum before I would have preferred an improved camera system - and would have been willing to pay extra to get it - but can perfectly understand why Apple compromised to achieve the price.

Greybeard2017's gear list:Greybeard2017's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-T30
blink667 Contributing Member • Posts: 799
Re: iPhone SE 2020 Review

Greybeard2017 wrote:

Some preliminary thoughts about the new SE from someone who is switching from the original SE and hasn't used any other iPhone.

The most obvious and biggest difference is the size, weight and form factor of the new phone - these are all negatives but after a couple of weeks (and after shipping back the old phone) I'm sure I'll forget about the difference. Its still very easy to carry everywhere.

The same is true of the home button - I much prefer the feel of the original button - feels much more mechanical and solid than the new button - presumably the change helps with weather proofing (which is a definite positive) so I'm sure I'll get used to it.

I never really do any heavy duty processing on my phone so, although everything works very quickly with the new chip I never really had any problems with the old one.

The camera seems a significant upgrade - after comparing a few images there seems to be more detail and an improvement in sharpness. Daylight images are very good - at this time of year the light is very difficult - bright sunshine and deep shadows and the camera does a pretty good job. It does seem to be prone to blowing out highlights sometimes (such as white flowers on a green foliage background) but again these are difficult subjects. The camera won't replace my Fuji but again its much easier to carry everywhere.

As I've noted on the forum before I would have preferred an improved camera system - and would have been willing to pay extra to get it - but can perfectly understand why Apple compromised to achieve the price.

Did you see a speed improvement in day to day operations?  How is the call quality on the new SE?  Thanks

Greybeard2017
OP Greybeard2017 Senior Member • Posts: 1,380

blink667 wrote:

Did you see a speed improvement in day to day operations? How is the call quality on the new SE? Thanks

Yes it appears faster but (apart from camera automation) there isn't much that I do on the phone that requires a lot of processor power - photo and especially video editing is all done on the ipad.

Call reception seems marginally better but I haven't done a proper comparison - audio quality using the speaker is pretty for such a small device.

qtu Regular Member • Posts: 321

Where do you live that you have had yours for a couple of weeks?

I just got mine on 4/24.

So far it is bigger than my old iPhone 5S. Agree that home button will take getting used to.

Have not received a kit to ship back my old phone yet.

qtu's gear list:qtu's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Sony RX100 IV Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon Df
Greybeard2017

qtu wrote:

I just got mine on 4/24.

So far it is bigger than my old iPhone 5S. Agree that home button will take getting used to.

I think you misread - I said it would take a couple of weeks to get used to the new phone.

My trade-in kit arrived on Saturday.

qtu Regular Member • Posts: 321

Gotcha

qtu's gear list:qtu's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Sony RX100 IV Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon Df
wklee Veteran Member • Posts: 9,265

qtu wrote:

I just got mine on 4/24.

My iPad Mini 5 has the Touch ID v2. I still prefer the iPhone SE 4” Touch ID. I will probably get the new SE in a few months. I  am in lock down and most shops are closed.

-- hide signature --

Never buy version 1.0 of anything.
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
Till it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot
Joni Mitchell's Big Yellow Taxi

No Haptic Touch on Notification

Apple seems to have excluded a feature from the iPhone SE 2020.

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/04/27/iphone-se-haptic-touch-notifications/

-- hide signature --

Till it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

KrisAK Contributing Member • Posts: 726

Sounds like you were reasonable satisfied with the old phone. Can I ask why you chose to upgrade?

Greybeard2017

KrisAK wrote:

Sounds like you were reasonable satisfied with the old phone. Can I ask why you chose to upgrade?

I took a leap of faith on the camera system - and the more I use it the more I appreciate the improvement.

Video clips with the new camera are very good - I'm less likely to bother taking my Fuji camera with me - especially notable is the image stabilization for video and the weather proofing means I'll always take the phone regardless of the forecast.

(I also bought into the theory that the old SE is likely to lose iOS support at sometime soon whereas the new phone is powerful enough for a number of years of iOS updates)

blink667 Contributing Member • Posts: 799

Greybeard2017 wrote:

KrisAK wrote:

I took a leap of faith on the camera system - and the more I use it the more I appreciate the improvement.

Video clips with the new camera are very good - I'm less likely to bother taking my Fuji camera with me - especially notable is the image stabilization for video and the weather proofing means I'll always take the phone regardless of the forecast.

(I also bought into the theory that the old SE is likely to lose iOS support at sometime soon whereas the new phone is powerful enough for a number of years of iOS updates)

I have a 7 and losing support is my main reason for wanting to buy the new SE,  otherwise I'd stick with the 7; with trade in it makes sense to pay less than $300 for a new phone with the latest chip.

blink667 wrote:

Greybeard2017 wrote:

KrisAK wrote:

I have a 7 and losing support is my main reason for wanting to buy the new SE, otherwise I'd stick with the 7; with trade in it makes sense to pay less than $300 for a new phone with the latest chip.

I have a 4" SE and agree with losing support. I'd still wait for the iOS 14 announcement first.

-- hide signature --

Till it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

seeblue Senior Member • Posts: 1,755

I got my new SE 2 a few days ago. As a three year SE 1 user, it’s the identical experience with a different Home Button, a different Lock/Wake button location (don’t like) and some bells and whistles.

I barely notice the larger screen or larger size and weight. Some apps display more information than on the smaller screen of the SE 1. It seems much quicker downloading or transferring data.

For ordinary app use, I don’t notice any major speed differences. I haven’t tried out the camera and I’m sure it’s a major improvement.

If you’re on the cheap, love the size, don’t care about the camera, then replace the battery in the SE 1 and enjoy!

loganimage New Member • Posts: 5

I find that even though the camera is the same as the iPhone 8 physically, the new processor from the iPhone 11 makes huge improvements in dynamic range and noise. I did a review of YouTube. Check it out: https://youtu.be/QXdIAVN0w5I

kojack Regular Member • Posts: 480

Once you use the home button for a day or two it is way better.  I don't like the physical button anymore and they wear out.  The haptic button rocks and there are settings to change the way it reacts.  Much better.

kojack's gear list:kojack's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1 Fujifilm X10 Apple iPhone 8 Apple iPad Pro 9.7 Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 +2 more
Aryan_Ali New Member • Posts: 1

The most interesting thing Apple have done with the new SE is that they are providing the new A13 bionic chip. Bought the new i phone SE last month and I'm very happy with it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads