Planning for my DSLR Future and I think it's the 7D Mark II

Started Apr 24, 2020 | Discussions
richiemccaw Senior Member • Posts: 1,024
Re: Planning for my DSLR Future and I think it's the 7D Mark II

gedansky wrote:

3) the seller is claiming the total number of shutter clicks to be about 1000 (pretty awesome). But, he is basing the number of clicks on the approximate number of times the camera was used, and how many shots taken. He's not showing actual proof of shutter usage and says he doesn't know how to find it. (If it's a matter of him purchasing software I'm not sure he would.)

For a high fps camera like the 7D2, I find it hard to believe that the shutter count is this low. That said, each shutter is rated to a couple hundred Ks.

Getting a camera like the 7D2 at such a low price, I do not really mind one that has been used quite a bit as long as the cosmetics pass the test, i.e. no major dings or scratches that indicate it has been abused and dropped.

4) He's almost an hour away and wants to meet in the middle (not too bad). But, carrying $1100 in cash and meeting a stranger in a parking lot (even for something this specific) seems a little unnerving.

I deal this way where I live. Main precaution I take is to meet somewhere public and well-lit. For safety reasons and for me to check the gear condition properly under good lighting.

As to whether to travel 1/2 or 1 hour to meet him... it really depends on how good the price is. $1,100 seems a little steep for the 7D2 + 18-135mm lens.

richiemccaw's gear list:richiemccaw's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic LX100 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 +11 more
OP gedansky Regular Member • Posts: 267

So, I actually sold some gear, took advantage of the 6 months no Interest on PayPal and bought the Canon 7D Mark II.

HOLY COW this thing is huge and heavy!

How does anyone carry this around all day? I carry my T6 in my backpack everywhere, everyday. This thing is nearly a third larger and almost twice as heavy as my T6.

I REALLY wanted all the speed and fire power improvements, but I wasn’t expecting it to be THIS BIG!

I’ve got 14 days to test it and get used to it. But I may just continue to live with my T6 until the AF, focus tracking, FPS, buffer, and low light performance/low grain at high ISO, finds its way into something the size of a... well... T6.

So...

Do YOU keep your 7D II on you all the time?

Did you come from a smaller camera?

How did you adjust?

Was it worth the compromise in size?

Thanks for your feedback!

7D II side by side with T6

T6 in my rather diminutive hand.

7D II in my hand /much bigger AND heavier

Distinctly Average Senior Member • Posts: 1,120

I carry mine on a slick strap. Carried like that with the 100-400II I barely notice it is there. I never really bother about the weight as the strap tends to take all the load. My xxD cameras are not that much lighter but as I tend to use those for macro, no strap is attached so do feel a little more cumbersome despite being smaller.

Is it worth it? IMO yes. The 7D2 allows me to get many shots I would struggle with otherwise.

-- hide signature --
Ad12 Senior Member • Posts: 1,140

You know, my small t7i rebel has the AF system from the 80d, 45pt, and shoots at 6 FPS.

It’s not on the same planet as the 7dii, but a step up from the t6. It has dual pixel in live view, swivel LCD screen, more resolution and seems a good step up in some ways from a T6. What’s more, used, it is quite cheap these days. Doesn’t have the AF micro adjust though. Just a thought.

https://www.apotelyt.com/compare-camera/canon-t6-vs-canon-t7i

Ad12's gear list:Ad12's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T7i Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-T30 Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +5 more
richiemccaw Senior Member • Posts: 1,024

The 7D2 is a little heavy when compared to my 80D. However when I put a lens like the 50 f1.2L, the whole set-up feels more balanced and the camera body's weight difference does not feel that much anymore. I guess it really depends on what lenses you put on the 7D2.

richiemccaw's gear list:richiemccaw's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic LX100 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 +11 more
muljao Contributing Member • Posts: 736

gedansky wrote:

So, I actually sold some gear, took advantage of the 6 months no Interest on PayPal and bought the Canon 7D Mark II.

How does anyone carry this around all day? I carry my T6 in my backpack everywhere, everyday. This thing is nearly a third larger and almost twice as heavy as my T6.

I REALLY wanted all the speed and fire power improvements, but I wasn’t expecting it to be THIS BIG!

I’ve got 14 days to test it and get used to it. But I may just continue to live with my T6 until the AF, focus tracking, FPS, buffer, and low light performance/low grain at high ISO, finds its way into something the size of a... well... T6.

So...

How did you adjust?

T6 in my rather diminutive hand.

7D II in my hand /much bigger AND heavier

This is why many here (sensibly) advise holding a camera before purchasing. Specs don't matter if it's not suitable.

I realise this is not always possible.

I'd guess if you figure out a good carry system you'll soon get used to the size difference

muljao's gear list:muljao's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Sony a7 III Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +8 more

You’re absolutely right. I went by specs that I read, and I didn’t have any opportunity to hold it anywhere.  But right now, in the light of day, I’m kind of glad. If I had held it ahead of time, I likely would’ve said, “holy cow this is heavy and big!” And been back to square one. 
But this morning, I walked out the door and took pictures of birds that I struggled to take yesterday, and every other time I’ve tried.

So I’m gonna go break out the dumbbells and do a little weight lifting that I haven’t done in years, and make this not feel so heavy. I also have a really nice hand and wrist strap that I’m very fond of, that seems to support the weight very well.

gedansky wrote:

You’re absolutely right. I went by specs that I read, and I didn’t have any opportunity to hold it anywhere. But right now, in the light of day, I’m kind of glad. If I had held it ahead of time, I likely would’ve said, “holy cow this is heavy and big!” And been back to square one.
But this morning, I walked out the door and took pictures of birds that I struggled to take yesterday, and every other time I’ve tried.

So I’m gonna go break out the dumbbells and do a little weight lifting that I haven’t done in years, and make this not feel so heavy. I also have a really nice hand and wrist strap that I’m very fond of, that seems to support the weight very well.

I heard some people with bigger setups for wildlife like to use some kind of monopod or light tripod to assist with the weight?

Canon EOS Rebel T7i Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-T30 Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +5 more

And I do have a tripod that’s convertible to mono pod. But I tend to carry my camera in a side loading backpack everywhere I go in case I see something I want to shoot.  And I was just taken aback by the size and weight.

Mike-G Junior Member • Posts: 48

Distinctly Average wrote:

I carry mine on a slick strap. Carried like that with the 100-400II I barely notice it is there. I never really bother about the weight as the strap tends to take all the load. My xxD cameras are not that much lighter but as I tend to use those for macro, no strap is attached so do feel a little more cumbersome despite being smaller.

Is it worth it? IMO yes. The 7D2 allows me to get many shots I would struggle with otherwise.

I carry mine of a Black Rapid for up to six hours on my morning walks. The weight isn't an issue at all while carrying it, but I did notice some shoulder tightness afterwards. Turned out that my strap had loosened up over the winter while wearing it over a ski jacket.

I've been trying to capture Red-winged Blackbirds in flight as they buzz around our marshes. They're not Swallow-tough but are fairly challenging for my lowly skills. The 7D2 is far better than the 80D when it comes to focusing against busy backgrounds.

Mike-G wrote:

I carry mine of a Black Rapid for up to six hours on my morning walks. The weight isn't an issue at all while carrying it, but I did notice some shoulder tightness afterwards. Turned out that my strap had loosened up over the winter while wearing it over a ski jacket.

I've been trying to capture Red-winged Blackbirds in flight as they buzz around our marshes. They're not Swallow-tough but are fairly challenging for my lowly skills. The 7D2 is far better than the 80D when it comes to focusing against busy backgrounds.

I used to use a black rapid too. It was such a relief after the OEM neck strap. Only problem was the carabiner wore through inside 12 months, same on the second one I had. I switched to the Peak Design a coup,e of years ago and now prefer it as the camera stays more stable being connected by two points.

When you get a shot of the blackbirds, let me know. I would love to see one.

-- hide signature --
YWG Senior Member • Posts: 1,078

gedansky wrote:

So...

How did you adjust?

I have the 7D mkI which is a bit lighter than the mkii. I used to find it okay to carry (I had a 1D3 at one point) but eventually favoured m43.

The T8i might be an inbetween solution with a jump in fps, modest increase in resolution and an improved AF system. The 90D looks quite attractive spec wise for a weight inbetween

YWG's gear list:YWG's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1s Canon PowerShot G5 X Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II
EduPortas Contributing Member • Posts: 572

Thanks!

Arrived after you purchased the camera, but I'll make some comments anyway.

I own both ends of the Canon APS-C spectrum: a nimble SL1 and a 7DM2 and have used them extensively for the past six years for paid work and leisure. (Also own Fuji gear and have owned Nikon gear, but that's no relevant)

As you said, the 7DM2 is a beast of a camera. This is a profesional tool. It feels much better when paired with Canon's more expensive lenses, which are generally heavier than their consumer line of glass. The reason is the chassis itself and the shutter mechanism: both are made to be abused by pros everyday to make some $.

I also had a 6D for a brief period. Even though the image quality was considerably better on the full frame camera, I sold it because I was looking for something tougher with better video focusing. So I gave up a little bit of image quality to gain a lot in general usability with the transfer. It was a business decision, no feelings involved.

For trips and street photography I NEVER take my 7DM2. That's were the diminutive SL1 comes in. Weighs nothing. Has above average image quality with the include kit zoom and I use it with central point AF only. The battery lasts what feels like forever. Fell out of the bag and broke? Not a major problem, since they are cheap to replace. Heck, it weighs less than my Fuji XF100, which is more of a specialty camera with its fixed lens.

Hope this helps.

I've had the same problem with the Black Rapid strap. Brilliant design but failed execution.

Certainly not up to DA standards, but here are a few from April. Please pardon the crops. This is my second year of shooting birds, so I still have a long way to go.

Mike-G wrote:

I've had the same problem with the Black Rapid strap. Brilliant design but failed execution.

Certainly not up to DA standards, but here are a few from April. Please pardon the crops. This is my second year of shooting birds, so I still have a long way to go.

Superb stiff and what a stunning bird. Particularly like the second shot.

-- hide signature --

I’ve got 14 days to decide.  In the mean time I will likely keep my T6.  But I think NYC, when it’s safe again, with the 7DII and Canon 24mm pancake lens would be fine for walking around.

Mike-G wrote:

Superb stiff and what a stunning bird. Particularly like the second shot.

Thanks. It's amazing what a little splash of color will do for a bird's appearance.  This time of year they hop from stalk to stalk in marshy areas and sometimes let out a shrill call as they're about to land. I couldn't get that shot last year, so I guess practice and experience pay off. Maybe something between me and the camera have clicked this spring in terms of BIF photos. I (or the camera, or both of us) are still too erratic, but I'm coming home with more shots that I'm happy with.

For the OP, I hope you enjoy your new camera. The 7D2's ergonomics and customization options are superb. I'm in my mid-50s and although I'm in good shape, I'm not a mountain of muscle. Although I wouldn't mind something a little lighter, I don't have any problems carrying it for extended periods of time or hand-holding the 100-400 L for several hours.

gedansky wrote:

I’ve got 14 days to decide. In the mean time I will likely keep my T6. But I think NYC, when it’s safe again, with the 7DII and Canon 24mm pancake lens would be fine for walking around.

The 7dii is a lot better, but on the off chance you do decide against the weight, i thought id share some bird in flight photos i like using one of the modern yet still light rebel cameras I took:

Doneworkin Junior Member • Posts: 42

Tired several types of straps to carry 7Dii   100-400 ii combo . Cotton Carrier works best for me as it takes strain of neck

https://www.cottoncarrier.com/          Just checked they still have sale going

Doneworkin's gear list:Doneworkin's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II

Doneworkin wrote:

Tired several types of straps to carry 7Dii 100-400 ii combo . Cotton Carrier works best for me as it takes strain of neck

https://www.cottoncarrier.com/ Just checked they still have sale going

Interesting, I found them OK with small lenses but with the bigger ones I felt the lenses in the way. I also found that getting the camera in a hurry was a bit slower than with straps like the Peak Design Slick Strap and other over the shoulder straps. That’s just me though, anything is better than the OEM straps which should never leave the cameras box.

Camera straps really seem to be a personal thing, what works for one may seem absolutely horrid to another.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads