Planning for my DSLR Future and I think it's the 7D Mark II

Started Apr 24, 2020 | Discussions
gedansky Regular Member • Posts: 267
Planning for my DSLR Future and I think it's the 7D Mark II

I bought the Canon EOS Rebel T6 used almost a year ago. It was in my budget (sub-$550), and in many ways the huge jump from my circa 2002 EOS Rebel 6.3mp first gen. I knew megapixels weren't everything and I also knew, as did the guy at my local camera store, that ANYTHING would be an improvement over my old camera.

The biggest improvements I am looking for are:

1) fps (10 vs 3)

2) faster shooting

3) AF speed and accuracy

4) buffer (seemingly endless vs mine that is full in 1-2 seconds)

5) better low light performance

6) less importantly but still nice... more rugged and weather resistant.

I get that there are trade-offs.  20mp is a small increase over the 18mp of the T6.  I have heard that the battery dies by up to 1000 shots.  I can get 1100 to 1500 out of the T6.

I have seen the price all over the place used (in the high $400's to the $700 range) but still in the $900 to $1700 new, depending upon body only to kit size.

It was voted DP reviews silver award winner for best cameras under $1500 for 2020.  If you have it, are you happy with it? Are you planning your next conquest or not even considering a move until it gives up the ghost?

Right now, I am just trying to think happier thoughts.  I am in no way able to drop $700 or higher on an upgrade unless I manage to sell a bunch of gear or some pics to pay for it.  But, it's nice to think about it.

Thanks!

Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS Rebel T6 (EOS 1300D)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
cnyphotoguy Regular Member • Posts: 343
Re: Planning for my DSLR Future and I think it's the 7D Mark II

You haven't mentioned what type of photography you're interested in.  I moved from a T6i to the 90D in January which was based on my sports photography - the increase in FPS was fantastic to capture more action.  But for every other photo I take I think the upgrade was a much more minor benefit.

cnyphotoguy's gear list:cnyphotoguy's gear list
Canon EOS 90D Canon EOS RP Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon 70-200 F2.8L III Sigma 10mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Diagonal Fisheye +8 more
matthias jurisch
matthias jurisch Senior Member • Posts: 1,156

IMO the 7D MKII is one of the best APSC  cameras ever. I find ISO 6400 to be

clean and very usable.  Just  consider all the positive reviews on this fantastic

camera, by all means, this one deserves to be called a  classic.

Greetings

Matthias

matthias jurisch's gear list:matthias jurisch's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +6 more
Distinctly Average Senior Member • Posts: 1,149

The 18mp-20mp doesn’t really tell the whole story. The noise characteristic changes substantially for the better. You get more detail and less noise as a result. Specs rarely tell the full story. As for shots, that depends on how you use it. Some days when I am firing off a lot in one go then 4000 shots is easy, other days when I am spending a lot of time tracking birds with IS on etc then 1000 is more realistic.

The 7D2 has been a wonderful camera for me. I have really enjoyed the massive number of hours I have used it for. I am sure you will too if you get one.

-- hide signature --
M Stewart Contributing Member • Posts: 959

After owning and using a 7D for a few years, I bought a used 7D Mark II four years ago, and it's been my main DSLR since then.  I've used it for a wide range of work, mainly recording my activities, but it's also taken some of my best birding shots, behind an EF 500 F/4L IS.

Uniquely, in the Canon offerings, it has both built-in GPS and a magnetic compass.  For many  of  my interests, the ability to both record where I took the shot as well as the direction I was pointing in has been very useful.

Soon after getting my 7D Mark II, I noticed the improvement in noise levels compared to my 7D, which was always somewhat of a disappointment.

(Sadly, the 5D range doesn't offer me GPS and compass which I've got in my 7D Mark II, so am not likely to change from my full-frame 5D II, which now gets little use.)

-- hide signature --

M. Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

M Stewart's gear list:M Stewart's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 135mm F2.8 SF +15 more
OP gedansky Regular Member • Posts: 267

cnyphotoguy wrote:

You haven't mentioned what type of photography you're interested in. I moved from a T6i to the 90D in January which was based on my sports photography - the increase in FPS was fantastic to capture more action. But for every other photo I take I think the upgrade was a much more minor benefit.

First, thanks to all who replied thus far.

My two main areas of focus are opposite ends of the spectrum:  on one end, street photography and architecture.  On the other end, wildlife including birds in flight.

Ironically, fast, accurate AF, hi fps, and a big buffer helps me for both ends of the spectrum.  For tracking and capturing  birds and other animals it’s obvious.  But, while cityscapes and architecture don’t move, my family DOES, and they get irritated when I slow them down to take pictures.  So aiming, locking and shooting quickly, and firing off multiple shots quickly so I can cover all angles and pick the best later, is helpful.  
The T6 is much more reliant on the focus speed of the lens motor than of the AF, which is kind of lackluster and not quick to switch between.  I find I use my always on manual focus on my lenses  a lot, especially at longer focal lengths.

Does anyone sell the 7D used with low shutter count and a warranty?

Thanks again!

Here’s a listing I was thinking of going for if I can work a deal.

is this a fair price for this camera Like new with only 1000 shutter clicks ?  What would be a reasonable counter offer to make? 
I messaged to ask if it’s under warranty since he bought it it February 2020.

thanks!

muljao Contributing Member • Posts: 736
  1. gedansky wrote:

Here’s a listing I was thinking of going for if I can work a deal.

is this a fair price for this camera Like new with only 1000 shutter clicks ? What would be a reasonable counter offer to make?
I messaged to ask if it’s under warranty since he bought it it February 2020.

thanks!

Are you heavily invested in canon lenses, because as great as canon are, there are other options if you're not totally in a system due your gear

muljao's gear list:muljao's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D810 Sony a7 III Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro (F004) +8 more

I appreciate that but I like Canon. And there’s literally no system out there regardless of brand, that can out do the 7D in its core competencies, for under $1000 for just the camera itself. That’s why it’s still a workhorse for professional wildlife and sports photographers.  So it seems that $1200 doe like new, bought this year, with the WiFi kit and 18-135mm USM lens is a “steal”

I have 5 lenses that I really like and put a lot of time into choosing, and it would take time to find them again at a good price, on a different platform. I also know several of the lenses that I have cost a lot more on other platforms, so I would expect to have to spend at least another $1000 in used and new lenses, maybe more, just to replace what I have.

ChristopherL Junior Member • Posts: 48

safest place to by used canon stuff is the canon used stuff website..maybe not the

cheapest... Money...you can't take it with you..

Ad12 Senior Member • Posts: 1,165

gedansky wrote:

I appreciate that but I like Canon. And there’s literally no system out there regardless of brand, that can out do the 7D in its core competencies, for under $1000 for just the camera itself. That’s why it’s still a workhorse for professional wildlife and sports photographers. So it seems that $1200 doe like new, bought this year, with the WiFi kit and 18-135mm USM lens is a “steal”

I have 5 lenses that I really like and put a lot of time into choosing, and it would take time to find them again at a good price, on a different platform. I also know several of the lenses that I have cost a lot more on other platforms, so I would expect to have to spend at least another $1000 in used and new lenses, maybe more, just to replace what I have.

I’m no expert but I’ve read the Nikon d500 is the benchmark and doesn’t seem that expensive used. Maybe worth a quick look? Just trying to help excuse my ignorance.

Ad12's gear list:Ad12's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T7i Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm X-T3 Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +6 more

gedansky wrote:

I appreciate that but I like Canon. And there’s literally no system out there regardless of brand, that can out do the 7D in its core competencies, for under $1000 for just the camera itself. That’s why it’s still a workhorse for professional wildlife and sports photographers. So it seems that $1200 doe like new, bought this year, with the WiFi kit and 18-135mm USM lens is a “steal”

Yes, to be fair, the 7d ii is quite excellent, even more so if you've a bunch of lenses already.

Enjoy

Nikon D7200 Nikon D810 Sony a7 III Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro (F004) +8 more

Ad12 wrote:

gedansky wrote:

I’m no expert but I’ve read the Nikon d500 is the benchmark and doesn’t seem that expensive used. Maybe worth a quick look? Just trying to help excuse my ignorance.

Having used both, there is not a lot in it between the two. They are both wonderful cameras each with their strengths. Personally, I jprefer the ergonomics of the 7D2 so stick with that.

-- hide signature --
Ad12 Senior Member • Posts: 1,165

Distinctly Average wrote:

Ad12 wrote:

gedansky wrote:

Having used both, there is not a lot in it between the two. They are both wonderful cameras each with their strengths. Personally, I jprefer the ergonomics of the 7D2 so stick with that.

I found the AF of the 90d a bit strange, as I believe the 7d Ii had good reviews for that? Yet the 90d has a 45 pt system like my rebel.

I wonder what’s the best in real world for AF out of the two. Seems Canon didn’t want to stop people buying 7dii’s?

Ad12's gear list:Ad12's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T7i Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm X-T3 Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +6 more
RedFox88 Forum Pro • Posts: 30,360

gedansky wrote:

It was voted DP reviews silver award winner for best cameras under $1500 for 2020.

It’s an old camera

If you have it, are you happy with it? Are you planning your next conquest or not even considering a move until it gives up the ghost?

Right now, I am just trying to think happier thoughts. I am in no way able to drop $700 or higher on an upgrade unless I manage to sell a bunch of gear or some pics to pay for it.

What do you photograph that needs more fps and faster focusing?

But, it's nice to think about it.

Thanks!

RedFox88 Forum Pro • Posts: 30,360

ChristopherL wrote:

safest place to by used canon stuff is the canon used stuff website

that’s not used stuff on their website, it’s units customers returned. I would not want to buy someone’s lemon

..maybe not the

RedFox88 wrote:

ChristopherL wrote:

safest place to by used canon stuff is the canon used stuff website

that’s not used stuff on their website, it’s units customers returned. I would not want to buy someone’s lemon

..maybe not the

why would it be a lemon?  People return stuff for all sorts of reasons, some is never even used. How many times on here have we seen people say “I’m returning model x because I watched a video on YouTube and they said it was crap” or similar. Either way, I am sure Canon have QC even in the seconds line. Given these units get a full warranty, what is the problem? 
--
Just enjoying photography
https://www.flickr.com/photos/distinctly_average/

Folks, I appreciate all the insight. I'm still on the fence, NOT because I'm having any second thoughts about the 7D Mark II (and I'm NOT dumping Canon, despite the good intentions of some), but because...

1) I'm looking at a great deal at a very bad time (pandemic, out of work, etc.).

2) I'm new enough to "serious" photography that understanding that credible equipment starts in the $1000 and up range, and actually spending it, is a tough barrier to cross.

3) the seller is claiming the total number of shutter clicks to be about 1000 (pretty awesome). But, he is basing the number of clicks on the approximate number of times the camera was used, and how many shots taken. He's not showing actual proof of shutter usage and says he doesn't know how to find it. (If it's a matter of him purchasing software I'm not sure he would.)

4) He's almost an hour away and wants to meet in the middle (not too bad). But, carrying $1100 in cash and meeting a stranger in a parking lot (even for something this specific) seems a little unnerving.

I think I can wait for now.

gedansky wrote:

Folks, I appreciate all the insight. I'm still on the fence, NOT because I'm having any second thoughts about the 7D Mark II (and I'm NOT dumping Canon, despite the good intentions of some), but because...

1) I'm looking at a great deal at a very bad time (pandemic, out of work, etc.).

2) I'm new enough to "serious" photography that understanding that credible equipment starts in the $1000 and up range, and actually spending it, is a tough barrier to cross.

3) the seller is claiming the total number of shutter clicks to be about 1000 (pretty awesome). But, he is basing the number of clicks on the approximate number of times the camera was used, and how many shots taken. He's not showing actual proof of shutter usage and says he doesn't know how to find it. (If it's a matter of him purchasing software I'm not sure he would.)

4) He's almost an hour away and wants to meet in the middle (not too bad). But, carrying $1100 in cash and meeting a stranger in a parking lot (even for something this specific) seems a little unnerving.

I think I can wait for now.

There are a few websites can do shutter count. Myshuttercount.com rings a bell.

As for the money,dunno, meet somewhere public (is that still possible), take the amount required minus the total you can draw from an atm on the spot, or just meet with no money and PayPal on the spot when both happy

RedFox88 wrote:

It’s an old camera

-Yes. But, its an amazing workhorse, it's still loved and supported, and there is litterally nothing on the market that has faster or more accurate AF (and definitely nothing with dual processor and 65 crossover points). There is nothing with 10fps AND a buffer huge enough that you can actually use it, AND low light capability/low grain at high ISO, below the 1XD Mark IV. And that's about $6000.

What do you photograph that needs more fps and faster focusing?

- I shoot wildlife, especially birds in flight. I also shoot archtecture and street photography, but always with my extremely impatient family. So, either my subject is moving or I am.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads