Why do people recommend Dji Mavic 2 pro over Phantom 4 pro

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
amobi
amobi Veteran Member • Posts: 3,176
Why do people recommend Dji Mavic 2 pro over Phantom 4 pro

All the videos and images I see on youtube and elsewhere look much better with ones shot with phantom 4 pro and yet I see a lot of people dumping their phantom over magic 2 pro.  Am I missing something?

Occams Razor Senior Member • Posts: 1,034
Re: Why do people recommend Dji Mavic 2 pro over Phantom 4 pro

The drones are very close but I choose a Mavic 2 Pro because of portability (size and weight) and I believe that is a major factor in many people's decision criteria.  I've traveled to Canada and Europe with the M2P in my camera backpack and it was very convenient.   I recently bought a Mavic Mini for when I want to travel with even a lighter and smaller load.  The other main advantage of the M2P is the 4K 10-bit Dlog profile if that is important for your post processing.

If portability is not a priority then I would serious consider a P4P.  I've read many comments where users prefer the video and still IQ of the Phantom over the Mavic and physically it is a sturdier craft without the retracting arms.

-- hide signature --

Randy

Occams Razor's gear list:Occams Razor's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EOS R Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm F1.2L II USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
mmarian Senior Member • Posts: 1,971

Portability and new Ocusync with full HD 1080 video feedback might be the main attraction for most people. P4P is relatively old technology but purely for IQ of stills and even more so for video the P4P will beat the Mavic 2 Pro any day. For some also 24mm lens on Phantom camera might be more attractive option than the 28mm on Mavic. The 10bit LOG is more of a gimick than a real advantage. P4P footage recorded in 4K D-Cinelike at 30fps allows for plenty of tweaking in post and the results could be very nice indeed. And all that without pixel binning and line skipping😉, allegedly price paid for the small form factor of Mavic 2 Pro and the way DJI dealt  with heat..

amobi
OP amobi Veteran Member • Posts: 3,176

mmarian wrote:

Portability and new Ocusync with full HD 1080 video feedback might be the main attraction for most people. P4P is relatively old technology but purely for IQ of stills and even more so for video the P4P will beat the Mavic 2 Pro any day. For some also 24mm lens on Phantom camera might be more attractive option than the 28mm on Mavic. The 10bit LOG is more of a gimick than a real advantage. P4P footage recorded in 4K D-Cinelike at 30fps allows for plenty of tweaking in post and the results could be very nice indeed. And all that without pixel binning and line skipping😉, allegedly price paid for the small form factor of Mavic 2 Pro and the way DJI dealt with heat..

I will be going fo P4P then. I won't have any problem lugging p4p around plus I stand to save over $400 on a used one.

amobi wrote:

mmarian wrote:

Portability and new Ocusync with full HD 1080 video feedback might be the main attraction for most people. P4P is relatively old technology but purely for IQ of stills and even more so for video the P4P will beat the Mavic 2 Pro any day. For some also 24mm lens on Phantom camera might be more attractive option than the 28mm on Mavic. The 10bit LOG is more of a gimick than a real advantage. P4P footage recorded in 4K D-Cinelike at 30fps allows for plenty of tweaking in post and the results could be very nice indeed. And all that without pixel binning and line skipping😉, allegedly price paid for the small form factor of Mavic 2 Pro and the way DJI dealt with heat..

I will be going fo P4P then. I w4on't have any problem lugging p4p around plus I stand to save over $400 on a used one.

Buying a second hand drone should be always approached with great deal of caution. Unless you are buying from someone you know and trust it is little bit like the quote from Forest Gump, you never know what you going to get. There is plenty of stuff inside a drone, electronics and mechanics a they all need to be in perfect condition for a drone to function properly. My advise to you, test thoroughly before you commit. If for whatever reason you can not, buy new. Then you will have warranty and point of return if something is not right. You could save yourself a lots of hassle, saving a few $$ might not be worth it.

Just my 2c

junk1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,706

Phantoms are older so you have better chance finding a used Mavic 2 pro with DJI care included so you can be confident the seller isn’t “dumping” it.  
The little cover on the phantom’s (inner side near top) legs is a good thing to look for - seems to fall off in hard landings.

Or either model refurbished direct from dji’s website.

amobi

junk1 wrote:

Phantoms are older so you have better chance finding a used Mavic 2 pro with DJI care included so you can be confident the seller isn’t “dumping” it.
The little cover on the phantom’s (inner side near top) legs is a good thing to look for - seems to fall off in hard landings.

Uh oh. The Phantom I am looking to get has the cover missing on both legs. Mmmmmm

Seems to be common, so perhaps they fall off too easily is the problem.

Looking forward to the Air 2 announcement today.  In daylight it will probably be pretty good.  Same 1/2” sensor as the EVO 2 (48mp Sony IMX586).

amobi wrote:

junk1 wrote:

Uh oh. The Phantom I am looking to get has the cover missing on both legs. Mmmmmm

I know that people are buying second hand drones daily all around the world BUT and there is this huge but. I said this before and I will say it again. If you want to spare yourself from a heap of trouble and frustration forget buying an unknown drone. For a sake of saving a few $, IMHO it is simply not worth the risk.

Good luck

kelpdiver Veteran Member • Posts: 4,317

in a market where people are constantly updating, there's a lot of good product out there to be had cheap.    You just need to establish ways to build trust.

Underwater photography is also hard on gear, yet a lot of it changes hands for the same reason - cameras are getting better and better with low light, and (sort of) getting smaller for the same result, which is critical when most travel by plane to the subject areas.

kelpdiver wrote:

in a market where people are constantly updating, there's a lot of good product out there to be had cheap. You just need to establish ways to build trust.

Underwater photography is also hard on gear, yet a lot of it changes hands for the same reason - cameras are getting better and better with low light, and (sort of) getting smaller for the same result, which is critical when most travel by plane to the subject areas.

Apples and oranges.
At the end of the day the OP will do whatever he feels comfortable with. All we can do is try to help and advise

amobi

I didn't even know about the Mavic Air announcement today until junk1 mentioned it. So glad I waited. I just saw the announcement. I will definitely be getting the Mavic air 2. This is a no brainer. It's cheaper and has more features and comes with a warranty.

I will always be flying in a good light so the 1-inch sensor in p4p or magic 2 pro doesn't come in play for me. Dang so happy I dragged my feet.

The fly more kit is a very good deal for just under $1k total.

amobi

junk1 wrote:

The price of used Mavic pro 2 is already coming down due to this announcement. Mavic 2 pro fly more combo for $1200.

• amobi wrote:

junk1 wrote:

The price of used Mavic pro 2 is already coming down due to this announcement. Mavic 2 pro fly more combo for $1200.

I might be from the old school but I am a strong believer that sensor size is more important then how many pixels they cram into a tiny chip. Even if you say that you'd be shooting mostly in daylight the larger 1"sensor of Mavic 2 will produce better photos than the sensor half that size.

amobi

mmarian wrote:

• amobi wrote:

junk1 wrote:

I might be from the old school but I am a strong believer that sensor size is more important then how many pixels they cram into a tiny chip. Even if you say that you'd be shooting mostly in daylight the larger 1"sensor of Mavic 2 will produce better photos than the sensor half that size.

That's the dilemma I found myself in. The new magic air2 has everything I am looking for but the 1-inch sensor in mavic2 pro is very attractive but not sure if I need it. I have spark and I only fly in good light.

amobi wrote:

mmarian wrote:

• amobi wrote:

junk1 wrote:

That's the dilemma I found myself in. The new magic air2 has everything I am looking for but the 1-inch sensor in mavic2 pro is very attractive but not sure if I need it. I have spark and I only fly in good light.

If you are happy with IQ from your Spark you will be probably extatic with IQ from Air2😉.

amobi

mmarian wrote:

amobi wrote:

mmarian wrote:

• amobi wrote:

junk1 wrote:

If you are happy with IQ from your Spark you will be probably extatic with IQ from Air2😉.

IQ was not that good. I was barely getting by but with 4k on air2 and a little bigger sensor hoping it will be good enough. I will watch more videos on air2 before deciding.

amobi wrote:

junk1 wrote:

saw used one with 1 extra battery for sale on Facebook for  $999 a few hours away yesterday.  Sold within hours.  Local guy wanted 1200 with no extras other than dji care (July expiration).

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads