Panasonic G9 + 12-60 focus noise and screen distortion

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
freebil New Member • Posts: 8
Panasonic G9 + 12-60 focus noise and screen distortion

Hello. I am very new to photography. Recently I bought panasonic g9 with the kit lens 12-60 and I have 2 questions.

1.) When I have a led light opened in the room, AFC focus selected and half shutter on the subject, I hear a continuous noise for all the time I am pressing half the shutter. Maybe it is trying to focus. Is it normal? When there is no light opened, I hear the noise only for some milliseconds.

2.) When I half shutter to an object, the screen is distorting for a little amount of time. Is it normal?

Please check the video.

https://vimeo.com/410759516

Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
erjennin Regular Member • Posts: 179
Re: Panasonic G9 + 12-60 focus noise and screen distortion

Mine does the same thing. I think it’s just how the DFD works... but my problem is, the resulting image isn’t very sharp.

JSB Regular Member • Posts: 341

AFC is for tracking moving subjects and stands for Auto Focus Continuous.  The noise you hear is the Auto Focus mechanism hunting for a moving subject.  If you set the camera focus to AFS (Auto Focus Single), the camera locks focus immediately while half pressing the shutter button and you shouldn't 't hear any noise.

freebil wrote:

Hello. I am very new to photography. Recently I bought panasonic g9 with the kit lens 12-60 and I have 2 questions.

1.) When I have a led light opened in the room, AFC focus selected and half shutter on the subject, I hear a continuous noise for all the time I am pressing half the shutter. Maybe it is trying to focus. Is it normal? When there is no light opened, I hear the noise only for some milliseconds.

2.) When I half shutter to an object, the screen is distorting for a little amount of time. Is it normal?

Please check the video.

https://vimeo.com/410759516

OP freebil New Member • Posts: 8

Thank you for the answers. One more question. When I start up the camera without lens, there is no sound. When I start up with the 12-60 there is a noise from the lens. Is it normal? Please check the video.

https://vimeo.com/410973366

The Lamentable Lens Contributing Member • Posts: 521

freebil wrote:

Thank you for the answers. One more question. When I start up the camera without lens, there is no sound. When I start up with the 12-60 there is a noise from the lens. Is it normal? Please check the video.

https://vimeo.com/410973366

It's common to hear a faint mechanical sound when you turn it on, as the camera engages the lens.  But I've never heard that particular sound (is that a beep?) when turning on my G9.  I typically have the focus beeps muted, so I turned them back on just to make sure, and I still didn't hear this sound.  Do you have any other lenses you can try to see if it's just that lens?

The Lamentable Lens's gear list:The Lamentable Lens's gear list
Ricoh GR III Olympus OM-D E-M10 III Sony a7R III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +7 more
windmillgolfer
windmillgolfer Forum Pro • Posts: 16,906

Is it the lens making a noise or a high pitched buzz from the IBIS in the camera? I never intentionally switch on the camera without a lens installed. Always switch off to change lenses.

windmillgolfer's gear list:windmillgolfer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF7 +9 more
OP freebil New Member • Posts: 8

Thanks for the answers. Unfortunately, I dont have any other lenses. The sound is from the lens. This is not beep. When I start up without lens, there is no this sound. I read in manual that

"The camera makes a noise when this unit is turned on.

This is the noise of the Dust Reduction Function working (P333); it is not a malfunction.".

hindesite Veteran Member • Posts: 4,892
No problems here

Your camera and lens are both behaving 100% completely normally, there are no problems here.

Go and take some photos.

-- hide signature --
pannumon Veteran Member • Posts: 3,119

The continuous IBIS hiss depends on the focal length of the lens, and if there is no lens attached, I would guess the IBIS is more or less inactive.

Also I recommend trying AFS or AFF instead of AFC, unless you really need continuous AF. AFS is much faster and more reliable for subjects that are somewhat stationary.

pannumon's gear list:pannumon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 +18 more
The Lamentable Lens Contributing Member • Posts: 521

I still have this same lens, although I haven’t used it in a while. I just grabbed it and put it on my G9 now, and it makes this same sound. Not as pronounced as it comes across in your video, and I never really noticed it back when I used this lens, but it’s definitely the same sound. Doesn’t appear you have anything to be concerned about.

The Lamentable Lens's gear list:The Lamentable Lens's gear list
Ricoh GR III Olympus OM-D E-M10 III Sony a7R III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +7 more
rashid7
rashid7 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,782

"Don't worry... be happy"

-- hide signature --

Keep it fun!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads