Macro photography

Started Apr 22, 2020 | Discussions
BasicPixels
BasicPixels Regular Member • Posts: 217
Macro photography

Macro photography. Focus bracket of 30 images shot with CameraPixels on iPhone 11 Pro Max. Focus stacking was done in Helicon Focus

BasicPixels's gear list:BasicPixels's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Apple iPhone 6s Apple iPhone 7 Plus
Mike Burke Regular Member • Posts: 185
Re: Macro photography

Can you explain how you did this. How did you take 30  shots and what equipment you used? Thanks

-- hide signature --

porchking

BasicPixels
OP BasicPixels Regular Member • Posts: 217

Mike Burke wrote:

Can you explain how you did this. How did you take 30 shots and what equipment you used? Thanks

I used the iPhone 11 Pro Max with a macro lens (Moment and Olloclip should be Ok). The iPhone was fixed on a small tripod (Joby griptight). For capturing an iPhone app called CameraPixels (PRO - paid, Lite - free, with resolution restrictions) was used in bracketing capture mode. A series of 30 images (JPG, with enhanced processing ON) with focusing distance range 0 - 100% were captured. The captured images were stacked using Helicon Focus software (can also be done in Photoshop or Afinity).

lynda07 Forum Member • Posts: 76

It's a great photo and I promptly downloaded the app.
This might sound a daft question but do you tap on the flower (or subject) on the screen first to set a focus point? I had a go with a flower yesterday, 50 shots, 0-100% and it focused on the wall behind.
Many thanks.
Lynda

BasicPixels

lynda07 wrote:

It's a great photo and I promptly downloaded the app.
This might sound a daft question but do you tap on the flower (or subject) on the screen first to set a focus point? I had a go with a flower yesterday, 50 shots, 0-100% and it focused on the wall behind.
Many thanks.
Lynda

Thank you No, since I use the full focus range, there is no need to pre-focus on a specific object. When I'm not using a macro lens, then I might pre-focus before capture just to see the approximate focus distance. In case you captured too many images, you can always select only those that keep the object of interest in focus and remove the rest (this is what I do when I don't have too much time finding the right focus range). Also, 50 images are really required only when you use a macro lens, for standard closeups 10-20 would be enough

lynda07 Forum Member • Posts: 76

Thank you for replying, I will have another go.

Cheers

Lynda

BasicPixels

Few more macros:

Focus stack of 50 raw images captured on iPhone 11 Pro Max with Olloclip macro 7x lens over the wide camera. CameraPixels PRO (focus stack capturing), Helicon Focus (focus stack merging)

Focus stack of 50 raw images captured on iPhone 11 Pro Max with Olloclip macro 7x lens over the wide camera. CameraPixels PRO (focus stack capturing), Helicon Focus (focus stack merging)

Focus stack of 50 raw images captured on iPhone 11 Pro Max with Olloclip macro 14x lens over the telephoto camera. CameraPixels PRO (focus stack capturing), Helicon Focus (focus stack merging)

Focus stack of 50 raw images captured on iPhone 11 Pro Max with Olloclip macro 14x lens over the telephoto camera. CameraPixels PRO (focus stack capturing), Helicon Focus (focus stack merging)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads