M6 Focus Peaking

Started Apr 22, 2020 | Discussions
ipsMSD Junior Member • Posts: 30
M6 Focus Peaking

I'm puzzled.  I've been using focus peaking on my M6 ii and it works on all my lenses.  I have a couple of EF-M lenses, one EF-S with adapter.  And one EF.

Peaking works with all but the macro lens.  It's the 100mm f2.8L IS USM Macro.  Why won't peaking work with this lens?  I've read that aperture might have something to do with it.  So I tried Av mode with aperture set to 4 but it still doesnt work.

Ideas why it wont work?  What conditions must be met for peaking to work?

Canon EOS M6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
scrup Regular Member • Posts: 495
Re: M6 Focus Peaking

Are you switching the af switch to mf on the lens.

scrup's gear list:scrup's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS M6 Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +2 more
OP ipsMSD Junior Member • Posts: 30

Interesting and confusing. It does work if I switch lens to MF.

But what is confusing is none of my other lenses require being in MF for peaking to work. On all of my other lenses (EF-M, EF-S) and camera can be in AF and peaking still works. Only the 'L' series macro must be in MF for peaking to work.

Thanks

Murrango Forum Member • Posts: 78

ipsMSD wrote:

Interesting and confusing. It does work if I switch lens to MF.

But what is confusing is none of my other lenses require being in MF for peaking to work. On all of my other lenses (EF-M, EF-S) and camera can be in AF and peaking still works. Only the 'L' series macro must be in MF for peaking to work.

Thanks

Some Canon lenses (like your EF macro lens) have mechanical manual focus. The camera doesn't know that you are focusing manually unless you set the lens switch to MF. Actually, you should never turn the focus ring unless the switch is set to MF first, to prevent any possible damage to the mechanism.

All EF-M, EF STM and EF-S STM lenses are "focus by wire". Manual focusing is done electronically - you turn the focus ring, but it's actually the motor that's moving the lens elements. Therefore, the camera is aware that you are focusing manually, and turns on peaking automatically. It's safe to turn the focus ring without setting the lens to MF.

Murrango's gear list:Murrango's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 1000D Canon EOS 500D Canon EOS M Canon EOS M5 +11 more
ken_in_nh Senior Member • Posts: 1,400

Murrango wrote:

Some Canon lenses (like your EF macro lens) have mechanical manual focus. The camera doesn't know that you are focusing manually unless you set the lens switch to MF. Actually, you should never turn the focus ring unless the switch is set to MF first, to prevent any possible damage to the mechanism.

This is assuredly not true. Many Canon lenses allow "full time manual focus". Here's a discussion: https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS/Damage-to-camera-motor-or-lens-if-we-manually-turn-focus-on-AF/m-p/236207#M30991

Murrango Forum Member • Posts: 78

ken_in_nh wrote:

Murrango wrote:

This is assuredly not true. Many Canon lenses allow "full time manual focus". Here's a discussion: https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS/Damage-to-camera-motor-or-lens-if-we-manually-turn-focus-on-AF/m-p/236207#M30991

Thank you Ken for pointing that out. You are of course correct. Some USM lenses allow for full time manual focus with the switch set to AF, while others do not and can be damaged unless the switch is set to MF - it depends on the type of USM motor that Canon used in a particular lens.

I gave the OP that advise, for his particular lens, because I mistakenly thought that it had the earlier "Micro Motor" type of USM. I knew that it couldn't be the newest "Nano" type, because those are focus by wire, and focus peaking would have worked with the switch set to AF - which the OP confirmed did not. I had completely forgotten that there was an intermediate "Ring type", which does have full time manual focus, but not focus by wire. It turns out that the OP's macro lens is ring type.

So thanks again Ken, and my apologies to the OP for the erroneous advice. Feel free to focus your macro lens in any mode, you won't damage it. But, you will still need to set the switch to MF for focus peaking to work on your M6.

I will add though, that with all the different variations of lenses that Canon has made over the years, it is probably a good idea, just to be on the safe side, to read the manual for any lenses you acquire, before starting to play around with them.

Murrango's gear list:Murrango's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 1000D Canon EOS 500D Canon EOS M Canon EOS M5 +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads