Custom Mid-Range PC Build for Photo and Video editing, help

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
nutshellml Regular Member • Posts: 166
Custom Mid-Range PC Build for Photo and Video editing, help
1

So I never got around to building a previous PC based more on my part-time photo business.

Times have changed and now I'm about 50% photos (Lr and Ps) and 50% video editing (Premier and GoPro software). No gaming. My current PC can't handle my GoPro HEVC files so I'm looking to build something new.

Budget under $1500.

Samsung EVO 970 Plus or Pro 500GB, preferably 1TB.

Other than than I'm open to suggestions. Was considering i5-9600 (k??), MSI A390-A Motherboard, 32GB RAM, type? and possibly GT1070 8GB video card

Other thoughts? Would love for someone to list an entire package out for me and here some constructive criticism or thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

Cariboo Contributing Member • Posts: 660
Re: Custom Mid-Range PC Build for Photo and Video editing, help
1

Have you searched this forum YET? This question gets asked & answered so often it will make your head ache from all the reading & you will get near instant answers to meet your own situation. Also search the web & YouTube, as again, "what's the best photo video editing PC gets asked a lot.

Will you get an exact specific answer to your exact specific needs & budget? Likely not as only you can decide what meet's both of these for YOU. You will have to make personal choices & compromises vs. being held by the hand & the exact recommendation you desire regurgitated for you.

Search first, then ask questions if you still need to?

OP nutshellml Regular Member • Posts: 166
Re: Custom Mid-Range PC Build for Photo and Video editing, help

Cariboo wrote:

Have you searched this forum YET? This question gets asked & answered so often it will make your head ache from all the reading & you will get near instant answers to meet your own situation. Also search the web & YouTube, as again, "what's the best photo video editing PC gets asked a lot.

Will you get an exact specific answer to your exact specific needs & budget? Likely not as only you can decide what meet's both of these for YOU. You will have to make personal choices & compromises vs. being held by the hand & the exact recommendation you desire regurgitated for you.

Search first, then ask questions if you still need to?

Yup, I have, which is why I'm here asking.  I thought I had it down, until recently migrated to some light editing of home videos etc vs. all Lr/Ps.

The Web, yes, they recommend for intel, the i9-9900 / i7-9700, that is all over, but I specified, that I do non-professional video editing, light / home movie/cut/paste some effects, so that is why I'm here, to get a more detailed recommendation.  I checked FStoppers, etc, I have done research, now I'm here to get some more specifics.

There are many folks that like to build PCs and love to create systems, I used to be one way back in the day, family work... lost the knowledge/etc, which is why I'm here.

I do want someone to create a system, articulate why, and hear some opinions.   I def don't need what the internet says i9-9900 processor...

supersargas Regular Member • Posts: 418
Re: Custom Mid-Range PC Build for Photo and Video editing, help
1

nutshellml wrote:

So I never got around to building a previous PC based more on my part-time photo business.

Times have changed and now I'm about 50% photos (Lr and Ps) and 50% video editing (Premier and GoPro software). No gaming. My current PC can't handle my GoPro HEVC files so I'm looking to build something new.

Budget under $1500.

Samsung EVO 970 Plus or Pro 500GB, preferably 1TB.

Other than than I'm open to suggestions. Was considering i5-9600 (k??), MSI A390-A Motherboard, 32GB RAM, type? and possibly GT1070 8GB video card

Other thoughts? Would love for someone to list an entire package out for me and here some constructive criticism or thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

You have it cooked up already, you are missing a cooler  (get a Noctua U12) and a PSU (if you can't salvage one. Get at least a 650W 80+ Bronze, from any brand). I would add studio headphones (look at the Audio-Technica M series). Factor in the Windows license cost, if you don't have one. Also, consider a high end monitor in the future. Eizo is repeatedly mentioned as a good brand.
Also, don't waste money on the case, use your previous case (check for CPU cooler clearance) or get a cheap, wide mid-tower.
Good luck!

Austinian
MOD Austinian Veteran Member • Posts: 9,665
Re: Custom Mid-Range PC Build for Photo and Video editing, help
2

supersargas wrote:

nutshellml wrote:

So I never got around to building a previous PC based more on my part-time photo business.

Times have changed and now I'm about 50% photos (Lr and Ps) and 50% video editing (Premier and GoPro software). No gaming. My current PC can't handle my GoPro HEVC files so I'm looking to build something new.

Budget under $1500.

Samsung EVO 970 Plus or Pro 500GB, preferably 1TB.

I have 970 Evo Plus in my laptop (256 GB) and desktop (1 TB). I've had fast performance and no problems; I decided I didn't need the Pro version.

Other than than I'm open to suggestions. Was considering i5-9600 (k??), MSI A390-A Motherboard, 32GB RAM, type? and possibly GT1070 8GB video card

Other thoughts? Would love for someone to list an entire package out for me and here some constructive criticism or thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

You have it cooked up already, you are missing a cooler (get a Noctua U12) and a PSU (if you can't salvage one. Get at least a 650W 80+ Bronze, from any brand).

Before I'd buy any PSU, I'd want to see a website's detailed technical review of that particular model. The PSU provides power to every other component in the PC, and the quality of that power can be important. I don't trust what the seller says on the box; I want to know how well it works in real life.

I would add studio headphones (look at the Audio-Technica M series). Factor in the Windows license cost, if you don't have one. Also, consider a high end monitor in the future. Eizo is repeatedly mentioned as a good brand.
Also, don't waste money on the case, use your previous case (check for CPU cooler clearance) or get a cheap, wide mid-tower.

I also think that a high-quality case is worth buying; it has a strong influence on the overall cooling of the PC components, noise levels, the ease of building into it, and convenience factors like accessibility of external USB ports, etc.

Just my opinion.

 Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Sony a7R III Panasonic S1 Sony FE 50mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC +1 more
Morris0
Morris0 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,691
Re: Custom Mid-Range PC Build for Photo and Video editing, help
2

supersargas wrote:

nutshellml wrote:

So I never got around to building a previous PC based more on my part-time photo business.

Times have changed and now I'm about 50% photos (Lr and Ps) and 50% video editing (Premier and GoPro software). No gaming. My current PC can't handle my GoPro HEVC files so I'm looking to build something new.

Budget under $1500.

Samsung EVO 970 Plus or Pro 500GB, preferably 1TB.

Other than than I'm open to suggestions. Was considering i5-9600 (k??), MSI A390-A Motherboard, 32GB RAM, type? and possibly GT1070 8GB video card

Other thoughts? Would love for someone to list an entire package out for me and here some constructive criticism or thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

You have it cooked up already, you are missing a cooler (get a Noctua U12) and a PSU (if you can't salvage one. Get at least a 650W 80+ Bronze, from any brand). I would add studio headphones (look at the Audio-Technica M series). Factor in the Windows license cost, if you don't have one. Also, consider a high end monitor in the future. Eizo is repeatedly mentioned as a good brand.
Also, don't waste money on the case, use your previous case (check for CPU cooler clearance) or get a cheap, wide mid-tower.
Good luck!

The cooler recommendation is quite good though there tall so your case must provide enough clearance.  The Noctua coolers are very quiet and use quality fans that last.  You will still hear them.  For video editing you system will work hard so the choice of fans for both CPU and GPU are important.  Another option is a quiet case.  I chose the Fractal Design R5 and don't hear my system at all.  Airflow in this quality case is moderate which is more than one gets in most quiet cases.  It is a bit pricey yet you will be fine with the included fans and can use a less expensive CPU cooler and most any GPU.

Enjoy your new build,

Morris

 Morris0's gear list:Morris0's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR XF 90mm Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C +11 more
Tmjc Regular Member • Posts: 184
Re: Custom Mid-Range PC Build for Photo and Video editing, help
2

If I were you I would be looking at the amd ryzen 3000 series cpu, something like the 3700x or 3900x (I´d skip the 3800x it doesn´t improve performance over the 3700x much). They offer much better value than Intel right now.
Here is a good performance breakdown for lightroom cpu performance: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Lightroom-Classic-CPU-Roundup-AMD-Ryzen-3rd-Gen-AMD-Threadripper-2-Intel-9th-Gen-Intel-X-series-1592/

What video editing software do you use? Premiere Pro can utilize the iGPU of Intel cpus and therefore Intel cpus are significantly faster. In all other programs amd is faster (price for price)
As for the GPU I would look at the 1660 ti as it performs similarly to the 1070 while using less power and (probably?) beeing cheaper. The 1070 is now nearly 2 generations old so if you don´t have a really good deal for one I would recommend that you get a more recently released model.

 Tmjc's gear list:Tmjc's gear list
Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM Tamron 17-35mm F2.8-4 Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
OP nutshellml Regular Member • Posts: 166
Re: Custom Mid-Range PC Build for Photo and Video editing, help

Tmjc wrote:

What video editing software do you use? Premiere Pro can utilize the iGPU of Intel cpus and therefore Intel cpus are significantly faster. In all other programs amd is faster (price for price)
As for the GPU I would look at the 1660 ti as it performs similarly to the 1070 while using less power and (probably?) beeing cheaper. The 1070 is now nearly 2 generations old so if you don´t have a really good deal for one I would recommend that you get a more recently released model.

So I have Adobe Premiere, but plan to try some other software, Filmora, Davinci possibly.

I have been reading more and the AMD processors seem to be highly recommended for video editing.  I've always been an Intel guy, but open to AMD.

Pictus
Pictus Veteran Member • Posts: 6,403
Re: Custom Mid-Range PC Build for Photo and Video editing, help

Something like this https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sL4rL2
But I would add a more silent and efficient cooler...
https://www.windowscentral.com/be-quiet-dark-rock-pro-4-review

calson Forum Pro • Posts: 10,326
Re: Custom Mid-Range PC Build for Photo and Video editing, help
2

For video the CPU is more important than the GPU. Check the CPU processor test results and check out the gains from going to a i7 or i9 CPU for your new computer.

The  nVidia 1070 is a good choice and I bought the 1070 Ti for my workstation computer. This is the most powerful GPU board for video that I could find and take up only 2 slots. All the RTX boards for example are 2.5 slots in width and so one loses 2 slots with them.

If going the white box route you have the option of using a 8 DIMM slot board and that has sufficient PCIe slots for the GPU and other cards and that has a 600 Watt or better power supply.

Check the recommendations  by DaVinci for their Resolve video editor to get a better idea of the best components to use.

-- hide signature --

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government to save the environment." Ansel Adams

 calson's gear list:calson's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D850
CBR1100XX Senior Member • Posts: 1,028
Re: Custom Mid-Range PC Build for Photo and Video editing, help

Tmjc wrote:

If I were you I would be looking at the amd ryzen 3000 series cpu, something like the 3700x or 3900x (I´d skip the 3800x it doesn´t improve performance over the 3700x much). They offer much better value than Intel right now.
Here is a good performance breakdown for lightroom cpu performance: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Lightroom-Classic-CPU-Roundup-AMD-Ryzen-3rd-Gen-AMD-Threadripper-2-Intel-9th-Gen-Intel-X-series-1592/

What video editing software do you use? Premiere Pro can utilize the iGPU of Intel cpus and therefore Intel cpus are significantly faster. In all other programs amd is faster (price for price)
As for the GPU I would look at the 1660 ti as it performs similarly to the 1070 while using less power and (probably?) beeing cheaper. The 1070 is now nearly 2 generations old so if you don´t have a really good deal for one I would recommend that you get a more recently released model.

This.  Also I'd look to see if there's any bottlenecking if you used a SATA SSD for data.  You'd still want a 250-500GB NVME for the OS/scratch disk but this could give you more storage and also make upgrading really easy later on.

As for the GPU I'd go with a RTX2060 KO from EVGA, it uses the chip from the 2080 but with some parts disabled to make it perform in games like the regular 2060.  But it still has some of the other 2080 features enabled so if they're ever utilized it'll give you a boost.  And even if photo/video programs never do it's only 300 dollars so it's a great deal too at only 20 bucks more than the 1660 Ti but with better performance.

amobi
amobi Veteran Member • Posts: 3,176
Re: Custom Mid-Range PC Build for Photo and Video editing, help

Operating System: Windows 10 Home (64-bit Edition)

Gaming Chassis: Cooler Master MasterBox 5t Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Tempered Glass Window Panel

Extra Case Fans: Default case fans

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6GHz [4.4GHz Turbo] 8 Cores/ 16 Threads 36MB Cache 65W Processor

CPU / Processor Cooling Fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212 CPU Cooler w/ PWM fan - Efficient Cooling Performance (Hyper 212 EVO)

Motherboard: ASUS TUF X570-PLUS GAMING (Wi-Fi) ATX w/ RGB, Realtek LAN, 2 PCIe x16, 2 PCIe x1, 8 SATA3, 2 M.2 SATA/PCIe

RAM / System Memory: 8GB (8GBx1) DDR4/3000MHz Memory (Corsair Vengeance)
upgrade memory by yourself to 32gb.

Video Card: GeForce® RTX 2060 SUPERâ„¢ 8GB GDDR6 (Turing) [VR Ready]

Power Supply: 650 Watts - Enermax Revolution D.F. series 650Watts 80 Plus Gold Full-Modular

Primary Hard Drive: 512GB Intel® 660P SERIES PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD

Service: 3 Years FREE Service Plan (INCLUDES LABOR AND LIFETIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT)

Grand Total$1,525.00

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads