Are eye af and af tracking better on RF lenses than EF?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
diness Veteran Member • Posts: 3,558
Are eye af and af tracking better on RF lenses than EF?

So I switched to the Eos R from the Sony A7iii mostly for the colors and ergonomics.  I still love those but I am getting more annoyed with the AF tracking and Eye af of the R.  I knew it wouldn’t be quite at the Sony level, but I feel like it’s further off than I expected.  I have the RF 35mm f1.8, the Sigma 35mm art and the Canon EF 135mm f2.  I notice focus tracking issues the most on the 135mm.  Would an RF lens like the 85mm or 24-105mm or 70-200 likely be better at tracking and eye Af than my 135mm f2 adapted?

diness's gear list:diness's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM
Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 17,284
Re: Are eye af and af tracking better on RF lenses than EF?

Fast + long glass = harder to focus.  The Eye-AF implementation on the R leaves a bit to be desired IMO. It's accurate but still more cumbersome than Sony's in use IMO. These days I only reserve Eye-AF for actual portraiture. Regular AF is decent enough with enough FOV.

That said, I haven't really noticed a difference between my RF and EF lenses.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
Canon EOS R Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM
William Woodruff Contributing Member • Posts: 712

Do you have the latest firmware?  Canon's first update reportedly made a big difference in tracking and autofocus.  (That was 1.4.0)  The latest (1.6.0) was relatively minor, but you might as well be up to date.

-- hide signature --

WLW

William Woodruff's gear list:William Woodruff's gear list
Canon EOS M
OP diness Veteran Member • Posts: 3,558

William Woodruff wrote:

Do you have the latest firmware? Canon's first update reportedly made a big difference in tracking and autofocus. (That was 1.4.0) The latest (1.6.0) was relatively minor, but you might as well be up to date.

I have 1.4.0 on my camera

Canon EOS R Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM
William Woodruff Contributing Member • Posts: 712

diness wrote:

William Woodruff wrote:

Do you have the latest firmware? Canon's first update reportedly made a big difference in tracking and autofocus. (That was 1.4.0) The latest (1.6.0) was relatively minor, but you might as well be up to date.

I have 1.4.0 on my camera

In that case, my guess is that you wouldn't see much difference.

-- hide signature --

WLW

William Woodruff's gear list:William Woodruff's gear list
Canon EOS M
maiaibing Veteran Member • Posts: 5,139

diness wrote:

So I switched to the Eos R from the Sony A7iii mostly for the colors and ergonomics. I still love those but I am getting more annoyed with the AF tracking and Eye af of the R. I knew it wouldn’t be quite at the Sony level, but I feel like it’s further off than I expected. I have the RF 35mm f1.8, the Sigma 35mm art and the Canon EF 135mm f2. I notice focus tracking issues the most on the 135mm. Would an RF lens like the 85mm or 24-105mm or 70-200 likely be better at tracking and eye Af than my 135mm f2 adapted?

Did not see any difference myself.

Its not Sony by any stretch. But it not useless either - at all.

Should think Canon will get a lot closer to Sony AF with the next generation of bodies (I hope).

maiaibing's gear list:maiaibing's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon Extender EF 2x III +5 more
sharkyyy Regular Member • Posts: 152

diness wrote:

So I switched to the Eos R from the Sony A7iii mostly for the colors and ergonomics. I still love those but I am getting more annoyed with the AF tracking and Eye af of the R. I knew it wouldn’t be quite at the Sony level, but I feel like it’s further off than I expected. I have the RF 35mm f1.8, the Sigma 35mm art and the Canon EF 135mm f2. I notice focus tracking issues the most on the 135mm. Would an RF lens like the 85mm or 24-105mm or 70-200 likely be better at tracking and eye Af than my 135mm f2 adapted?

Which one does track eye  better- sigma 35 or canon rf 35 f1.8 ?

Thank you

-- hide signature --

www.nadsenifotografi.sk

sharkyyy's gear list:sharkyyy's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EOS R Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +7 more
Franz Kerschbaum Contributing Member • Posts: 766

My RF50/85/70-200 AF track much better than my RF35.

Franz Kerschbaum's gear list:Franz Kerschbaum's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS R +17 more
OP diness Veteran Member • Posts: 3,558

sharkyyy wrote:

diness wrote:

Which one does track eye better- sigma 35 or canon rf 35 f1.8 ?

Thank you

they track it about the same but final focus seems to be slightly more accurate with the RF

PGSanta Regular Member • Posts: 470

Eye AF with the RF 70-200 is better vs the EF 70-200 III. It's not a huge difference, but it's stickier with the RF, and noticeably better at staying with the closest eye.

PGSanta's gear list:PGSanta's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon RF 50mm F1.2L USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads