DSC-RX35 concept

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
hfolkertsma New Member • Posts: 4
DSC-RX35 concept

Just for fun. 1” sensor, 35 equivalent prime with a bright aperture for the small sensor. Added grip, EVF...

Would you buy something like this?

edform
edform Veteran Member • Posts: 7,243
Re: DSC-RX35 concept

hfolkertsma wrote:

Just for fun. 1” sensor, 35 equivalent prime with a bright aperture for the small sensor. Added grip, EVF...

It's possible place in the world is taken by the RX100 series and, if you mentally enlarge the glass in the lens, you can see that it's actually an RX1 with it's core shrunk to fit a silly small sensor and a matching lens. What's the point?

-- hide signature --

Ed Form

edform's gear list:edform's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
AdamT
AdamT Forum Pro • Posts: 60,636

I see the point of an RX5 ..... series of Stabilized fast Prime equipped APS_C compacts in Effective 14, 24, 35 and 85mm but not a 1" with a fixed 35mm lens . may as well get an RX100 Mk3/4/5

-- hide signature --

** Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist **

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sony RX10 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Nikon D610 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Nikon D850 +1 more
Digital Nigel Forum Pro • Posts: 12,220

No, no interest at all.

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 III +18 more
Seeky Senior Member • Posts: 1,066

Please, make it a worthy Fuji x100v competitor by having an  APS-C sensor, weather sealed body, OSS. 
Iā€™m waiting on this since the RX1.

-- hide signature --
 Seeky's gear list:Seeky's gear list
Sony SLT-A57 Fujifilm X-T1 Sony a7 II Sony a7 III Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +14 more
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 47,336
No

hfolkertsma wrote:

Not Interested.

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more
elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 17,365

1st post, welcome to the forum.

1" sensor, no way I would want to be limited by 35mm, I was happy when rx100m1,m2 widened to 24mm m3-7

actually, I want RX1r wide, 28mm 42mp, or, at 42mp, why not 24mm FF sensor, crop the crap out of it, for 28 or 35 easily. still jacket pocket size, shallow focus machine!

I used to want a modern R!, APS-C sensor fixed lens, but it would be a compormise, 1" pants pocket; FF jacket pocket, both in small shoulder case ....

-- hide signature --

Elliott

elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI Sony Xperia XZ +1 more
OP hfolkertsma New Member • Posts: 4

edform wrote:

hfolkertsma wrote:

It's possible place in the world is taken by the RX100 series and, if you mentally enlarge the glass in the lens, you can see that it's actually an RX1 with it's core shrunk to fit a silly small sensor and a matching lens. What's the point?

The point is, it would be pocketable. Nothing wrong with a small sensor. Want a bigger sensor, plenty of other cameras that already tick that box.
Pentax Q comes to mind, but they made it interchangeable.

elliottnewcomb wrote:

1st post, welcome to the forum.

1" sensor, no way I would want to be limited by 35mm, I was happy when rx100m1,m2 widened to 24mm m3-7

actually, I want RX1r wide, 28mm 42mp, or, at 42mp, why not 24mm FF sensor, crop the crap out of it, for 28 or 35 easily. still jacket pocket size, shallow focus machine!

I used to want a modern R!, APS-C sensor fixed lens, but it would be a compormise, 1" pants pocket; FF jacket pocket, both in small shoulder case ....

-- hide signature --

Elliott

But something like that already exists, the Leica Q. Something like that will never be pocketable.

AdamT
AdamT Forum Pro • Posts: 60,636

The point is, it would be pocketable.

Yeah but they managed to put a fast and excellent performing 24-70 F1.8-2.8 in there already and it fits in a shirt pocket  .. a prime isn`t going to gain much

-- hide signature --

** Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist **

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sony RX10 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Nikon D610 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Nikon D850 +1 more

AdamT wrote:

Yeah but they managed to put a fast and excellent performing 24-70 F1.8-2.8 in there already and it fits in a shirt pocket .. a prime isn`t going to gain much

I have to disagree, I’d really love a compact 35mm camera that doesn’t extend the lens during startup. I think they’b be able to create a small yet bright 35mm that is reliable and doesn’t extend. šŸ¤ž

hfolkertsma wrote:

AdamT wrote:

Yeah but they managed to put a fast and excellent performing 24-70 F1.8-2.8 in there already and it fits in a shirt pocket .. a prime isn`t going to gain much

I have to disagree, I’d really love a compact 35mm camera that doesn’t extend the lens during startup. I think they’b be able to create a small yet bright 35mm that is reliable and doesn’t extend. šŸ¤ž

They would, and may do, but it'll be in a phone. The latest Sony smartphone has three bright prime lens cameras that don't extend the lens, and it'll sell in far larger numbers than this concept.

Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 III +18 more

Ofcourse, the general compact market has this problem. Yet I’m positive there’s a crowd that would appreciate an EVF, high quality bright 35mm, manual controls, some form of DOF control, all in a slim form factor.

Then again, judging by the comments here I’m in the minority!

hfolkertsma wrote:

Ofcourse, the general compact market has this problem. Yet I’m positive there’s a crowd that would appreciate an EVF, high quality bright 35mm, manual controls, some form of DOF control, all in a slim form factor.

Then again, judging by the comments here I’m in the minority!

I'm afraid so. Sales of compact cameras continue to plummet, as smartphones take over this market:

Compact camera sales have halved in the last two years, continuing a long-term trend.

It's very unlikely that Sony could sell enough of such a niche camera to make it a worthwhile investment. It also overlaps the RX100M5A and smartphones too much.

If Sony ever brings out another compact camera, it'll be one with a long zoom that takes it out of the path of the smartphone steamroller.

Snapsh0t
Snapsh0t Senior Member • Posts: 2,582

You'll wait forever as it just isn't going to happen.

Snapsh0t's gear list:Snapsh0t's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony a7R III Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9
Snapsh0t
Snapsh0t Senior Member • Posts: 2,582

Not interested. It doesn't have a zoom lens or full-time EVF and I won't buy a camera without both. As you may have noticed you're in a minority of one.

Snapsh0t's gear list:Snapsh0t's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony a7R III Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9
KaanG Regular Member • Posts: 387

Nope, it's not going to happen and that's because nobody would buy it.

Companies need to make profit. They scan the horizon for the competition and try to offer unique products that would have a chance. Like the RX100 series.

What you are proposing doesn't solve any problems or bring anything new to the table. We already have the Ricoh GR series for ultimate portability and the X100 series for the ultimate experience.

If they would make a new iteration of the RX1 with a f2.8 collapsible lens, that would be a hit. Sure bokeh w**res would be super sad but this move would greatly reduce the size and they could make it even smaller than the X100 series.

terryreid
terryreid Senior Member • Posts: 2,605

AdamT wrote:

This is a no brainer and they had this lens in the V and VIa but dropped it in the VII.

I tried a VII and shot along side my V and with the small sensor and twice the Iso the V won hands down.

They need to continue to improve the sensor with newer tech which they do and not only offer the faster lens but improve the lens, raise the price of the camera a couple hundred dollars if you can eak out some noticeable improvements with a better lens.

I like the rumored 18-50 1.4 idea even more than this obvious move.

-- hide signature --

-Terry
https://you pic.com/photographer/TerryRStahly/?mode=best
https://500px.com/trstahly

terryreid's gear list:terryreid's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony a9 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA Fujifilm X100V +25 more
terryreid
terryreid Senior Member • Posts: 2,605

Seeky wrote:

Please, make it a worthy Fuji x100v competitor by having an APS-C sensor, weather sealed body, OSS.
I’m waiting on this since the RX1.

better yet I have been saying this for two years

I own the X100V and while the lens and images are better struggling with exposure, metering and other it just does not seem as easy to use to me but I am a Sony guy so maybe I just do not understand it yet.

-- hide signature --

-Terry
https://you pic.com/photographer/TerryRStahly/?mode=best
https://500px.com/trstahly

terryreid's gear list:terryreid's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony a9 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA Fujifilm X100V +25 more
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 47,336

I imagine an 18-50 1.4 equiv would be quite large even with a 1" sensor. Maybe it could work on an RX10iv sized body. That said such rumors are best ignored unless from an extremely reliable source. Most of the rumors on Sonyalpharumors never see the light of day.

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more

terryreid wrote:

AdamT wrote:

This is a no brainer and they had this lens in the V and VIa but dropped it in the VII.

The short lens was in the M5A, the last model to use it. The longer lens replaced it from the M6 in 2018.

I tried a VII and shot along side my V and with the small sensor and twice the Iso the V won hands down.

They need to continue to improve the sensor with newer tech which they do and not only offer the faster lens but improve the lens, raise the price of the camera a couple hundred dollars if you can eak out some noticeable improvements with a better lens.

Not going to happen. That focal length range has been taken over by smartphones. To have any chance of sales, separate cameras need a much longer focal length that phone cameras don't yet cover.

I like the rumored 18-50 1.4 idea even more than this obvious move.

Not likely to happen, either. The smartphones also own this focal length range.

Sony will service this part of the market with the Experia 1 II, with three main cameras, each with fast primary lenses:

• 12 MP, f/2.2, 16mm, 1/2.55", Dual Pixel PDAF
  • 12 MP, f/1.7, 24mm, 1/1.7", Dual Pixel PDAF, OIS
  • 12 MP, f/2.4, 70mm, 1/3.4", 1.0µm, PDAF, 3x optical zoom, OIS.

You may say that you prefer the ergonomics and features of separate cameras like the RX100, and so do I, but we are in a fast-disappearing minority.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads