Looking for an ICC profile for Epson Premium Presentation Matte on SC-P800

Started 7 months ago | Questions
Eric Stevens New Member • Posts: 12

Epson used to have one. I know because its ghost remains in the now unrecoverable Recycle Bin of an old HDD. I've tried searching the various major Epson sites around the world but haven't been able to find a downloadable copy. There may be one in regional driver downloads for the printer but that is playing Russian Roulette. I would be grateful if someone could point me to a site where I can find the profile, either that to an equivalent more readily available profile.

ANSWER:
reid thaler
reid thaler Senior Member • Posts: 1,683
Re: Looking for an ICC profile for Epson Premium Presentation Matte on SC-P800

Eric,

If you can't find a profile, I can make one for you.  Let me know if you are interested.

-- hide signature --

Thanks!
Reid
Photography Education and Lightroom Instructor, San Francisco Bay Area
www.lumiograph.com
Kodak Brownie
Argus 126
Quaker Oats Container Pinhole Camera

pixelgenius
pixelgenius Senior Member • Posts: 4,224

I believe that's a newer name for Archival Matt. It should be installed by the driver but I have all the 'canned' Matt profiles for the P800 if you need them.

Charles2
Charles2 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,355

I have one for SC-P800 Series Ultra Premium Presentation Matte, dated from 2014 and installed along with the driver package when I got my P800 a year or two later. PM if you want.

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
NAwlins Contrarian Veteran Member • Posts: 5,280
Epson paper names

Epson used to have one. I know because its ghost remains in the now unrecoverable Recycle Bin of an old HDD. I've tried searching the various major Epson sites around the world but haven't been able to find a downloadable copy. There may be one in regional driver downloads for the printer but that is playing Russian Roulette. I would be grateful if someone could point me to a site where I can find the profile, either that to an equivalent more readily available profile.

Maybe the offers from pixelgenius and/or Charles2 have solved your problem.

OTOH, I wonder whether part of the issue / confusion here may be with Epson renaming papers and/or calling a given paper by different names in different countries. As a maybe-relevant example, currently in the U.S., B&H lists:

* Epson Presentation Paper Matte (102 gsm),

* Epson Premium Presentation Paper Matte (165 gsm), and

* Epson Ultra Premium Presentation Paper Matte (192 gsm),

plus some double-sided varieties and even lighter / thinner papers.

All of that said, I don't understand why you think using a driver download for the printer is playing Russian Roulette. If you download the latest P800 driver package from the Epson website for your country or region, uninstall your old driver, and install the current one, I bet it will also install an ICC profile for the P800 with Ultra Premium Presentation Paper Matte and quite possibly Premium Presentation Paper Matte too. That is the way Epson works for the profiles for its basic papers--they are installed with the driver package.

NAwlins Contrarian's gear list:NAwlins Contrarian's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S30 Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +5 more
OP Eric Stevens New Member • Posts: 12

Thats very kind of you but at this stage I would not put anyone to the trouble.

pixelgenius wrote:

I believe that's a newer name for Archival Matt. It should be installed by the driver but I have all the 'canned' Matt profiles for the P800 if you need them.

Premium Presentation Paper Matte is still listed as a current product and in the 50 sheet box of 13" x 19" given the number S041263. A Google search fails to bring that number up under any other name. Regarding the change of name, you may be thinking of Enhanced Matte Paper S041359 which is now available as Ultra Premium Presentation Paper Matte with the same number.

If I can't find any other source I will be very grateful if I could take you up on the offer to make the profile I want available to me. Just give it another day or two.

Re: Epson paper names

NAwlins Contrarian wrote:

Maybe the offers from pixelgenius and/or Charles2 have solved your problem.

OTOH, I wonder whether part of the issue / confusion here may be with Epson renaming papers and/or calling a given paper by different names in different countries. As a maybe-relevant example, currently in the U.S., B&H lists:

* Epson Presentation Paper Matte (102 gsm),

* Epson Premium Presentation Paper Matte (165 gsm), and

* Epson Ultra Premium Presentation Paper Matte (192 gsm),

plus some double-sided varieties and even lighter / thinner papers.

All of that said, I don't understand why you think using a driver download for the printer is playing Russian Roulette. If you download the latest P800 driver package from the Epson website for your country or region, uninstall your old driver, and install the current one, I bet it will also install an ICC profile for the P800 with Ultra Premium Presentation Paper Matte and quite possibly Premium Presentation Paper Matte too. That is the way Epson works for the profiles for its basic papers--they are installed with the driver package.

I've been through this situation before in the early days of the P800. I live in New Zealand and the locally supplied driver lacked a profile I required. I got on to the local Epson support and was referred to their Australian office. They pointed me to their local driver which turned out to have a significantly different set of profiles, fortunately including the one I wanted. Later on I installed the US driver and got yet another set of profiles. The problem at the heeart of all this was that some of the profiles were embedded in the driver and could not be loaded into the colour profile directory.

The reason that I referred to Russian Roulette is that a different driver will give me a different collection of profiles, many of which I will be unable to save for use with a different driver. I don't know if the situation has changed but I don't want to go that way unless I have to.

Charles2
Charles2 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,355

Eric Stevens wrote:

The problem at the heeart of all this was that some of the profiles were embedded in the driver and could not be loaded into the colour profile directory.

That does not sound right. Programs other than the driver routinely use the ICC profile. Indeed, how could Epson staff even make a test print through an ICC profile if only the driver program has access to it?

I've been through this situation before in the early days of the P800. I live in New Zealand and the locally supplied driver lacked a profile I required. I got on to the local Epson support and was referred to their Australian office. They pointed me to their local driver which turned out to have a significantly different set of profiles, fortunately including the one I wanted. Later on I installed the US driver and got yet another set of profiles....

The reason that I referred to Russian Roulette is that a different driver will give me a different collection of profiles, many of which I will be unable to save for use with a different driver.

At least with Windows machines, I suggest you extract and save separately every ICC profile you get that you think you may ever want. Then you can put it back where it gets used if / whenever needed. I do this. The files are small, and not that hard to find.* After the printer driver installer installs them, copy them and save the copies elsewhere, maybe making the files read-only. Maybe even keep a list in a spreadsheet or word processor file with the profile file names, the printer / paper / etc. to which it pertains, and the corresponding recommending media / driver settings. If a new driver install somehow removes an old profile, just copy it back to the folder where the OS looks for it. This has always worked fine for me.

The problem at the heeart of all this was that some of the profiles were embedded in the driver and could not be loaded into the colour profile directory.

This almost cannot be correct. Do you mean that the media types differ in different national editions of the drivers? That I could maybe believe, although I tend to suspect that the majority the time the issue is merely knowing how to translate the name of the paper you bought into the name used in the country for which the driver is intended.

*In both Windows 7 and Windows 10, they are in (using here C as the assumed boot volume) C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color.

Nikon Coolpix S30 Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +5 more

Charles2 wrote:

Eric Stevens wrote:

That does not sound right. Programs other than the driver routinely use the ICC profile. Indeed, how could Epson staff even make a test print through an ICC profile if only the driver program has access to it?

A good question. Nevertheless there were profiles which could be accessed via the printer setup menu which were not anywhere to be found in the computer's file system. For example, even now, I can, through the setup menu, access a profile for 'Epson Photoquality Inkjet'. There is no sign of that profile in my computer's list of profiles. There may be others like that. I haven't checked the full list.

I've been through this situation before in the early days of the P800. I live in New Zealand and the locally supplied driver lacked a profile I required. I got on to the local Epson support and was referred to their Australian office. They pointed me to their local driver which turned out to have a significantly different set of profiles, fortunately including the one I wanted. Later on I installed the US driver and got yet another set of profiles....

The reason that I referred to Russian Roulette is that a different driver will give me a different collection of profiles, many of which I will be unable to save for use with a different driver.

At least with Windows machines, I suggest you extract and save separately every ICC profile you get that you think you may ever want. Then you can put it back where it gets used if / whenever needed. I do this. The files are small, and not that hard to find.* After the printer driver installer installs them, copy them and save the copies elsewhere, maybe making the files read-only. Maybe even keep a list in a spreadsheet or word processor file with the profile file names, the printer / paper / etc. to which it pertains, and the corresponding recommending media / driver settings. If a new driver install somehow removes an old profile, just copy it back to the folder where the OS looks for it. This has always worked fine for me.

This almost cannot be correct. Do you mean that the media types differ in different national editions of the drivers? That I could maybe believe, although I tend to suspect that the majority the time the issue is merely knowing how to translate the name of the paper you bought into the name used in the country for which the driver is intended.

*In both Windows 7 and Windows 10, they are in (using here C as the assumed boot volume) C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color.

Not all of them. I have just given an example in a previous answer.

Presumably the previous answer to which you're referring is the reply (at https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63848385) where you wrote:

For example, even now, I can, through the setup menu, access a profile for 'Epson Photoquality Inkjet'. There is no sign of that profile in my computer's list of profiles.

What you're accessing through the printer driver* is a media type, not an ICC profile. This can be confusing because for Epson's own papers and certain semi-generic designations,** the names of the media type and the ICC profile are the same or very similar. There are probably two places you can set this in the driver:

Epson printer driver "Main" tab, "Type" is for media types

and

Epson printer driver Advanced tab, media type options

But I'd bet $100 that in all cases, either (1) the ICC profile is where it's supposed to be, albeit maybe under a file name you don't recognize, or (2) there is in fact no ICC profile and no way to select one in the driver, even if the driver lets you select a media type of that name.

* You refer to "the setup menu", which I understand as the printer driver, which is what you access in the Windows version of Lightroom, in the Print module, with the Page Setup... button, and you access generally in Windows through Settings -> Devices -> Printers & scanners -> [the name of your printer] -> Manage -> Printing preferences.

** Properly speaking, an ICC printing profile pertains to a specific combination of printer + inks + driver settings (including but not limited to media type) + paper; what the profile does is characterize the behavior of that specific combination. I'm pretty sure Epson does not sell a paper it calls "Epson Photoquality Inkjet", even though it does have a media type and at least in some cases an actual ICC profile for such a generic paper. It seems to me to be a 'use this if you don't have something more specific' pair of media type and ICC profile.

Presumably the previous answer to which you're referring is the reply (at https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63848385) where you wrote:

For example, even now, I can, through the setup menu, access a profile for 'Epson Photoquality Inkjet'. There is no sign of that profile in my computer's list of profiles.

What you're accessing through the printer driver* is a media type, not an ICC profile. This can be confusing because for Epson's own papers and certain semi-generic designations,** the names of the media type and the ICC profile are the same or very similar. There are probably two places you can set this in the driver:

and

But I'd bet $100 that in all cases, either (1) the ICC profile is where it's supposed to be, albeit maybe under a file name you don't recognize, or (2) there is in fact no ICC profile and no way to select one in the driver, even if the driver lets you select a media type of that name.

* You refer to "the setup menu", which I understand as the printer driver, which is what you access in the Windows version of Lightroom, in the Print module, with the Page Setup... button, and you access generally in Windows through Settings -> Devices -> Printers & scanners -> [the name of your printer] -> Manage -> Printing preferences.

** Properly speaking, an ICC printing profile pertains to a specific combination of printer + inks + driver settings (including but not limited to media type) + paper; what the profile does is characterize the behavior of that specific combination. I'm pretty sure Epson does not sell a paper it calls "Epson Photoquality Inkjet", even though it does have a media type and at least in some cases an actual ICC profile for such a generic paper. It seems to me to be a 'use this if you don't have something more specific' pair of media type and ICC profile.

I really don't want to argue but you are wrong on all these points. That you don't know what I mean by a 'setup menu' highlights that we are talking at cross purposes. First of all I am using a PC. Are you using a Mac? Is your printer an Epson - let alone an Epson P800? I did not make up that reference to Epson Photoquality inkjet. It pops up in the list of matte papers. What's more, I've got an old box of it in my paper cabinet. I think we had better get things straightened out between us before we go much further.

I really don't want to argue but you are wrong on all these points.

You came here with a problem, and I'm trying not to argue but to offer both a solution and a deeper level of understanding. You're more than welcome to ignore me / my posts, and I won't respond further unless you ask me to.

One thing that would be helpful to understanding your needs is to know what software you use to print. I don't recall your saying, but it may matter.

Nevertheless, I'm fairly confident that I'm right about my basic points here. You don't normally access ICC profiles through the printer driver / settings.* Generally Epson printer driver installers install not only the driver proper, but also pairs consisting of a media type (which is what you select in the driver or 'setup' if you want to call it that) and an ICC profile (which you select in the software from which you're printing, Lightroom or Qimage or whatever, in conjunction with a rendering intent like perceptual or relative colorimetric, and sometimes an option for black-point compensation). Not only do you not select an ICC profile in the driver / printer setup, but also in a color-managed workflow you expressly tell the printer not to do anything like that. In my screenshot of the Advanced tab, that's the combination of setting Color Management to ICM and checking the Off (No Color Adjustment) checkbox.

That you don't know what I mean by a 'setup menu' highlights that we are talking at cross purposes.

Questions / problems tend to get better responses when they are stated with maximum clarity. I told you precisely how to get to the points I was showing. If you do the same, it would help.

First of all I am using a PC. Are you using a Mac?

I print from machines running Windows 10, and before that, I printed from machines running Windows 7. I'm aware that color management with a Mac differs considerably.

Is your printer an Epson - let alone an Epson P800?

The screenshots I posted above were from my personal Epson printer, albeit an R280 instead of a P800. AFAIK, the basic Epson approach to installer / driver / media types / ICC profiles remained the same through the P800 and up until the introduction of the P7570 and P9570, which do use a different system.

I did not make up that reference to Epson Photoquality inkjet. It pops up in the list of matte papers.

I've never suggested you made it up. Indeed, I have an ICC profile for a paper with the same or a very similar name.

What's more, I've got an old box of it in my paper cabinet. I think we had better get things straightened out between us before we go much further.

I remain happy to try to help, if you want. My general view is: if you want to use that old box of paper in your paper cabinet, and use a fully color-managed workflow to have it come out precisely right, then you will need both a version of the driver with the correct media type, and the correct ICC profile. Epson has varied the names of the papers over time and in different countries, so it may be that the media type and/or ICC profile you need will be called something else, which can be a bit tricky to decipher.

*Indeed, the only reason I can think of where you'd even want to access ICC profiles through the printer driver / settings is where for some reason you cannot print from fully color-managed software. I've seen that function in Canon printer drivers, but not Epson--but maybe Epson has added it. In the Canon driver, what I get is a list of all the ICC profiles in their normal location (C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color). I've never used that function because for anything that matters, I always print from color-managed software.

pixelgenius

Eric Stevens wrote:

pixelgenius wrote:

Premium Presentation Paper Matte is still listed as a current product and in the 50 sheet box of 13" x 19" given the number S041263. A Google search fails to bring that number up under any other name. Regarding the change of name, you may be thinking of Enhanced Matte Paper S041359 which is now available as Ultra Premium Presentation Paper Matte with the same number.

If I can't find any other source I will be very grateful if I could take you up on the offer to make the profile I want available to me. Just give it another day or two.

I'm on a Mac and have extracted all the ICC profiles the driver places inside a package. These are the one's listed as "Matt" in their file names**, you are welcome to any or all.

SC-P800 Series Canvas Matte

SC-P800 Series Enhanced Matte Poster Board for EPSON

SC-P800 Series Epson Archival Matte

SC-P800 Series Epson Proofing Paper White Semi-matte

SC-P800 Series Water Resistant Matte Canvas

** Note that finder names and the names of the  profiles shown in software can differ as software uses an internal profile name. I can get you those too, if they differ.

pixelgenius

Eric Stevens wrote:

and

I really don't want to argue but you are wrong on all these points. That you don't know what I mean by a 'setup menu' highlights that we are talking at cross purposes. First of all I am using a PC. Are you using a Mac? Is your printer an Epson - let alone an Epson P800? I did not make up that reference to Epson Photoquality inkjet. It pops up in the list of matte papers. What's more, I've got an old box of it in my paper cabinet. I think we had better get things straightened out between us before we go much further.

Let me see if this helps as I'm using the P800 on Mac.

What you see below are media settings, not ICC profiles. Specifically I've shown the two for Matt papers in the Epson drivers.

All papers, Epson's branded or otherwise should provide a suggestion of what media setting here to select with and in addition to a specific ICC paper profile.

I thought my original request was simple so I only used simple terminology but things have since got much more complicated.

When wanting to print (in this case from Photoshop) I call up a window labeled ‘Print Settings’

Most of these functions are obvious but I will come back to the ‘Print Settings’ down below. I have the option of ‘Photoshop Manages Colors’ or ‘Printer Manages Colors’. I normally use the latter if I can. If I do that I have no ability to set the ‘Printer Profile’. If I set the Color Handling to Photoshop Manages Colors I am presented with a a list of ICC profiles. But not only do I not want them but in this case they don’t contain what I want.

If I click the ‘Print Settings’ I am presented with the driver control panel.

There are all kinds of things I can do with this but in this case I want to select the paper e.g.:

These select the paper and, because I have chosen 'Printer Manages Colors', they also select the color profile. Certainly at least some of the color profiles are not in the external list and must therefore be contained in the driver. All I anticipated in my original enquiry was that I could find an ICC profile which I could add to the external list.

I hope that dispels the confusion.

Many thanks but I've either got them or I don't need them. 

So usually NOT fully color-managed

This latest post indeed provides a lot of useful detail and specifics.

I have the option of ‘Photoshop Manages Colors’ or ‘Printer Manages Colors’. I normally use the latter if I can.

When you use printer manages colors, you're not using a fully color-manged workflow. If it produces the results you like, fine, but the degree of user control is reduced.

If I do that I have no ability to set the ‘Printer Profile’.

Right. And in fact, even in the printer driver, you cannot choose an ICC profile. What you're choosing there is (as always) a media type, plus other options for color that are a bit of a 'black box' (ignoring for a moment Epson's ABW).

If I set the Color Handling to Photoshop Manages Colors I am presented with a a list of ICC profiles.

Right. That should be the list of the ICC profiles in C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color.

If I click the ‘Print Settings’ I am presented with the driver control panel. There are all kinds of things I can do with this but in this case I want to select the paper e.g.:

These select the paper

They (as always) select the media type for the paper, which controls things like the amount of ink sprayed and the thickness of the paper for the feed mechanism.

and, because I have chosen 'Printer Manages Colors', they also select the color profile.

I'm pretty sure that they are not exactly selecting a regular ICC profile in the same way that you'd do if you'd used Photoshop manages colors. What you are getting is Epson's 'recipes' for color on the Epson papers for which there are media types. If you doubt me about whether this is letting you select an ICC profile, try this: download an ICC profile for your printer from the website of Hahnemuhle or Canson or one of the other third-party paper companies, install it, and look: I bet you do see it on the list with Photoshop manages colors, but not on the list in the driver when printer manages colors.

Certainly at least some of the color profiles are not in the external list and must therefore be contained in the driver.

And to me this is the crux of our issue: what I really think is an incorrect assumption that because "some of the color profiles are not in the external list [they] must therefore be contained in the driver." I'm pretty sure they are not. The driver contains media types, and corresponding Epson 'black box' color recipes for those Epson papers that are used when functioning in printer manages color mode.

All I anticipated in my original enquiry was that I could find an ICC profile which I could add to the external list.

Which is why I'm a bit unsure about the direction of this thread: at https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63844155, pixelgenius replied, "I have all the 'canned' Matt profiles for the P800 if you need them." Then at https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63845077, Charles2 replied, "I have one for SC-P800 Series Ultra Premium Presentation Matte, dated from 2014 and installed along with the driver package when I got my P800 a year or two later. PM if you want." Did you PM either of them, get an ICC profile from them, and try it? If not, why not? If so, what result did you get?

I think that to make proper use of a profile you've gotten or could get from pixelgenius and/or Charles2, you'd need to use Photoshop manages colors, select that profile, and then in the printer driver (accessed by the Print Settings... button) you'd need to select the appropriate media type (if your version of the driver has it) and set Mode to Off (No Color Adjustment).

I hope that dispels the confusion.

I think so. I understand what you've done. You may still think I'm wrong about whether you're accessing ICC profiles (instead of media types) in the printer settings, but you can check that by getting an ICC profile from pixelgenius and/or Charles2, and I suggest also Hahnemuhle or Canson or similar.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads