High school graduation cancelled...

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
wtang Contributing Member • Posts: 605
High school graduation cancelled...

Here in New York City, it's been announced that schools will remain closed for the remainder of the school year due to COVID-19 concerns.  My daughter is a senior but her graduation ceremony and prom have both been cancelled.  What a way to end high school.

To give my daughter something to remember her high school years I decided to take some graduation photos using her older brother's cap and gown from 2 years ago.  It was a chance to try out my new Sony A7ii with a 24-105mm f4 lens.

Regards,
Warren
http://www.pbase.com/wtang

wtang's gear list:wtang's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD850 IS Konica Minolta DiMAGE A200 Olympus Stylus Tough 6000 Kodak EasyShare Z990 Nikon D300 +12 more
Stamfordborn Contributing Member • Posts: 822
Re: High school graduation cancelled...

Beautiful young lady and excellent picture, Warren. So sorry that her graduation (and senior prom?) were cancelled. This horrible virus is upsetting so many lives all around the world. I wish her all the best going forward.

-- hide signature --

Happy Snappin'
Wayne46 (aka: JamesD)

Hike Pics
Hike Pics Senior Member • Posts: 1,993

Warren, that's a wonderful photo. It is great she can still smile when she has worked so hard for this time in her life. I have talked to a couple of seniors and I know this whole thing is unfair to them. Some of them would be communicating with their colleges of choice, making plans for entrance exams, touring the campuses and such. ACT and SAT tests. I have tried to put myself in their shoes, what I would do, how I would feel. It has got to be very hard on them.

Here in the mountains there are many students (families) that cannot get internet service at all. They cannot go online for their classes. So the schools are sending out student packets by way of the school buses to their homes.

This is just another reason this pandemic needs to end ASAP!

-- hide signature --

...Wes...

Hike Pics's gear list:Hike Pics's gear list
Canon PowerShot S3 IS Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot Pro1 Fujifilm FinePix E900 Zoom Kodak EasyShare P712 +18 more
chiue
chiue Veteran Member • Posts: 9,709

wtang wrote:

Here in New York City, it's been announced that schools will remain closed for the remainder of the school year due to COVID-19 concerns. My daughter is a senior but her graduation ceremony and prom have both been cancelled. What a way to end high school.

It is indeed very sad to hear that the ceremony and prom have both been cancelled. Especially the prom which they very much looking forward to.

The COVID-19 is affecting everyone in the World, just wish that it will been under control soon. In Ontario the quarantine just extended another month to mid-May.

To give my daughter something to remember her high school years I decided to take some graduation photos using her older brother's cap and gown from 2 years ago. It was a chance to try out my new Sony A7ii with a 24-105mm f4 lens.

A very nice grad portrait of a nice looking young lady. Wish her all the best as she enters the next stage of her life.

Congrats on your A7ii and 24-105 lens.

-- hide signature --

chiue -
Nikon D5000 / Sony A6000/A6100
Kodak P880 DX7590 Z915 DX6440 V803 M420 C190 C875 ZX3
Kodak PixPro AZ652

chiue's gear list:chiue's gear list
Kodak EasyShare C875 Kodak DX6440 Kodak DX7590 Kodak EasyShare P880 Kodak EasyShare V803 +6 more
OP wtang Contributing Member • Posts: 605
Thanks for your supportive comments

Thanks everyone for your supportive comments. I'll show them to my daughter as I'm sure she will appreciate them. Another thing about this pandemic that's tough on high school seniors is the travel restrictions make it impossible to visit the colleges where they've been accepted. In a normal year, all colleges would be holding "welcome day" events right now to have accepted students come and visit the campuses one last time before making a decision on where to spend their next 4 years. There are some schools my daughter was accepted to but we never had a chance to visit before. We were counting on welcome day events to visit those schools. Now she has to choose a college without seeing some of them. I wonder if a side effect of this pandemic will be high school seniors nationwide choosing colleges closer to home than in past years?

Regards,
Warren
http://www.pbase.com/wtang

wtang's gear list:wtang's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD850 IS Konica Minolta DiMAGE A200 Olympus Stylus Tough 6000 Kodak EasyShare Z990 Nikon D300 +12 more
Stamfordborn Contributing Member • Posts: 822
Re: Thanks for your supportive comments

I never thought about that, Warren. There are so many "domino" effects to this pandemic.

-- hide signature --

Happy Snappin'
Wayne46 (aka: JamesD)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads