Superzoom Moon Contest

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
OutsideTheMatrix
OutsideTheMatrix Senior Member • Posts: 6,632
Superzoom Moon Contest

In this contest are the Nikon P900 at 2000mm EFL, the Olympus EM10 Mark 2 at 1200mm EFL (with 2x digital TC) and the Fuji HS50 at 1400mm EFL (with 1.4x TC) and 2000mm EFL (with 2x TC).  I have a 1.7x physical teleconverter but I didn't get better results with it than using the digital version.  That might be a handholding issue, since in a day time test it did better than either the 1.4x or 2x digital teleconverter.  The moon was high up between 4 am and 6 am here and I was forced to sit on the ground and shoot upwards.  Oh well.

This is the Oly with the 2x digital TC.  If you expand this to 1:1 you'll see really good crater detail (lower right).

This is also really good from the Nikon P900 at full zoom.

Fuji results were more mixed and I had a difficult time choosing the best one, so I will just post my top few.

1.4x TC (1400mm)

2.0x TC (2000mm)

besides the first Fuji HS50 image which was with 1.4x IDZ, the others are all with 2x IDZ (2000mm EFL)

-- hide signature --

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist. We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together.
-Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1961

OutsideTheMatrix's gear list:OutsideTheMatrix's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Olympus PEN E-PL6 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +6 more
Nikon Coolpix P900 Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Tom Ames Senior Member • Posts: 1,507
Re: Superzoom Moon Contest

All of the images seems blurry.

Tom Ames's gear list:Tom Ames's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Nikon Z7 Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm GF 32-64mm F4 Fujifilm GF 110mm F2 +12 more
OutsideTheMatrix
OP OutsideTheMatrix Senior Member • Posts: 6,632

Tom Ames wrote:

The site must have reduced the size of the images.  Viewing them 1:1 on my screen I can see craters inside craters really well.  I'll try to post crops from the terminator where you can see them better.

-- hide signature --

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist. We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together.

Nikon Coolpix P900 Olympus PEN E-PL6 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +6 more
Augustin Man
Augustin Man Forum Pro • Posts: 10,583

I'm not a Moon shootter, but I got sometimes cursory handheld images like that one:

P1000

Stay healthy and happy shooting,

Augustin

Augustin Man's gear list:Augustin Man's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P1000
Patco Forum Pro • Posts: 14,897

OutsideTheMatrix wrote:

Tom Ames wrote:

The site must have reduced the size of the images. Viewing them 1:1 on my screen I can see craters inside craters really well. I'll try to post crops from the terminator where you can see them better.

I was thinking the same as Tom, but maybe it's the site, as you say.
Let's try one of mine:

Straight out of camera

-- hide signature --

Patco
A photograph is more than a bunch of pixels.

OutsideTheMatrix

Patco wrote:

OutsideTheMatrix wrote:

Tom Ames wrote:

The site must have reduced the size of the images. Viewing them 1:1 on my screen I can see craters inside craters really well. I'll try to post crops from the terminator where you can see them better.

I was thinking the same as Tom, but maybe it's the site, as you say.
Let's try one of mine:

Straight out of camera

Uh Oh.... mine is definitely sub par compared to yours and Augustin's.

A few possibilities.....

1) should I remove this UV protector filter on my lens?

2) I was shooting through a window (it was cold outside!)

3) I was lying on the floor and shooting up as the moon was high up.

-- hide signature --

Patco Forum Pro • Posts: 14,897

OutsideTheMatrix wrote:

Uh Oh.... mine is definitely sub par compared to yours and Augustin's.

A few possibilities.....

My opinion is that a UV filter never helps, but could hurt.
I suggest you try without, and see if your results improve.

I've never had a satisfactory result shooting through windows.

I don't see a problem there, but a tripod or a suitable brace could help.

-- hide signature --

Patco
A photograph is more than a bunch of pixels.

OutsideTheMatrix

Patco wrote:

How do you like using the infinity setting for focus vs using AF?

Can Infinity focus be set in manual exposure mode too?

I'm wondering how well the P900 can shoot total lunar eclipses at full zoom, since you need longer exposures there (but what is a good exposure for that to avoid motion blur at 2000mm EFL?)

-- hide signature --

threed123
threed123 Senior Member • Posts: 1,438

P-950 Day moon. Handheld, some post processing.

OutsideTheMatrix

threed123 wrote:

P-950 Day moon. Handheld, some post processing.

That's very detailed!  Question- is it better to underexpose and use a much faster shutter speed?  I thought keep the shutter speed between 1/125s to 1/200s was the way to go from what I've read, but your image makes me rethink that.

-- hide signature --

OutsideTheMatrix
Re: crops

I cropped and edited the the best pics I took from each camera here is what I came up with:

-- hide signature --

OutsideTheMatrix

these are the edited versions of the two:

-- hide signature --

threed123
threed123 Senior Member • Posts: 1,438

Even with vibration reduction, you can get double images, very very small, but they do fuzz up edges. That's always why I force the lowest ISO with a higher shutter speed, but not an extremely high f/stop is the biggest issue. This was handheld, but if you use a tripod ALWAYS turn off VR--image is sharpest then. Detail is always lost when overexposed, so under-exposed and post processed will keep the most detail.

jshen808
jshen808 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,429

OutsideTheMatrix wrote:

Super moon captures!

Especially considering they were taken behind a window.

Be your own explorer in trying things out.

Thanks for sharing & happy snapping.

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

..Cheers, John..
"We are all in this together."

jshen808's gear list:jshen808's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P610 Nikon Coolpix P900
LEZ90
LEZ90 New Member • Posts: 3

Standard 'moon' settings

LEZ90's gear list:LEZ90's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon PowerShot SX420 IS Apple iPhone X Apple iPad Air
LEZ90
LEZ90 New Member • Posts: 3

Using a tripod, both shots taken in the open.

LEZ90's gear list:LEZ90's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon PowerShot SX420 IS Apple iPhone X Apple iPad Air
jshen808
jshen808 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,429

OutsideTheMatrix wrote:

A few possibilities.....

1. Not all "lens filters" works the same.

My recommendation is to take pictures with & without the used lens filter.

If can't go outside, indoors can take pictures of a cereal box as an example.

Then view the pictures on your computer, to see any differences in quality.

(For my P900 P950 P1000 cameras, I'm using the Hoya HD3 UV lens filter, it works good, and I would not leave my lenses bare without it.)

2. Taking pictures through a window can take a hit in the image quality.

But if cannot go outside, that's okay, it's all about having fun with the camera.

And good opportunity to tryout the settings you have in question to see what works.

3. It's good to be star gazing. But be careful okay.

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

..Cheers, John..
"We are all in this together."

jshen808's gear list:jshen808's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P610 Nikon Coolpix P900
Tourlou Contributing Member • Posts: 971

Here are 2 moon pictures shot with old catadioptric lenses.

Above was shot with a Reflex Nikkor 500C

Above was shot with a Russian MTO-11, 1000mm focal length

Both pictures were recorded on a Nikon D7000

Regards.

Rene

OutsideTheMatrix

threed123 wrote:

Even with vibration reduction, you can get double images, very very small, but they do fuzz up edges. That's always why I force the lowest ISO with a higher shutter speed, but not an extremely high f/stop is the biggest issue. This was handheld, but if you use a tripod ALWAYS turn off VR--image is sharpest then. Detail is always lost when overexposed, so under-exposed and post processed will keep the most detail.

Thanks, I think a tripod might be necessary for me, as I tried to keep the ISO manageable at 200, but the shutter speed was still too slow at 1/200 sec.

Is BSS of any help here?

-- hide signature --

OutsideTheMatrix

LEZ90 wrote:

Using a tripod, both shots taken in the open.

Looks like ISO 400 is still very good.... what do you think about using ISO 800 on the moon?  Too much?

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads