70MM 2.8 ART LENS BY SIGMA FOR SONY E MOUNT.

Started Apr 7, 2020 | User reviews
Leonie Holmes New Member • Posts: 9
70MM 2.8 ART LENS BY SIGMA FOR SONY E MOUNT.

I bought this lens last month & all I can say is, I HATE IT! Unlike any other macro lenses I have owned this one is terrible. It takes forever to focus turning the lens around & around. Then when you think you have everything focused & ready to shoot it changes the focus to another part & shoots it. This keeps happening so I am going to try & sell it & buy a “Normal” macro lens for my Sony full frame camera.

Leonie Holmes's gear list:Leonie Holmes's gear list
Nikon D4S Nikon Z7
Sigma 70mm F2.8 DG Macro Art
Macro prime lens • Canon EF, Nikon F (FX), Sigma SA Bayonet, Sony FE
Announced: Feb 27, 2018
Leonie Holmes's score
Average community score
BrianM27 New Member • Posts: 17
Re: 70MM 2.8 ART LENS BY SIGMA FOR SONY E MOUNT.

Sorry you are having trouble with this lens, I find it very sharp and it stops down while holding up in I.Q.

I don't think the lens can switch the focus area by itself.

70mm on Sony  A7iii

70mm A7iii

MikeyBugs95
MikeyBugs95 Regular Member • Posts: 446

Maybe try back button autofocus if you don't have it set? If you use the shutter button to focus then it might be refocusing when you press the shutter button. Either way, the lens refocusing is hardly a problem with the lens. It can only respond to what the camera instructs it to do which in turn responds to what the user wittingly, or unwittingly, instructs it to do...

-- hide signature --

It's a pretty simple task of 3D modeling something. It's getting it to fit that takes most of the time!

MikeyBugs95's gear list:MikeyBugs95's gear list
Pentax K-3 II Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
kokopuffs
kokopuffs Senior Member • Posts: 1,313

My Zeiss Otus f1.4/85mm is a total biatch to sharpen. It takes real skill to get the best out of this lens.  The lens like yours will take some real time and effort to extract its best  qualities.

-- hide signature --

I'm coming from a Leica DLux4 experience.
Tia and thanks much for your patience,
-kokopuffs

kokopuffs's gear list:kokopuffs's gear list
Leica D-LUX 4 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 +2 more
Brev00
Brev00 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,127

Leonie Holmes wrote:

I bought this lens last month & all I can say is, I HATE IT! Unlike any other macro lenses I have owned this one is terrible. It takes forever to focus turning the lens around & around. Then when you think you have everything focused & ready to shoot it changes the focus to another part & shoots it. This keeps happening so I am going to try & sell it & buy a “Normal” macro lens for my Sony full frame camera.

Best to use manual focus on a tripod when shooting extreme close-ups with a macro lens. When shooting so close, light becomes uniform and contrast decreases making it tough to attain focus. Then any slight movement of the subject or of the camera and the af box will be over a different part of the subject and af will focus on that. Macro lenses are always prone to hunting because of the lack of contrasty edges and because of the big range of movement the lens has from close to far focusing. That is why manual focus is so often used in close up photography. There are ways of using af and getting around its limitations but then one needs patience.

Here is one trick. Using manual focus or back button focus, set focus to the distance one wants, often choosing the closest focus possible. Then, move the camera forwards and back slightly and take a short burst when you the subject is in focus. This ends the hunting since you are the one moving not the lens.

My old DSLR 70 is amazingly sharp and I continue to be amazed at the kind of images I have taken using it. And its af is from prehistoric times.

Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D40 Nikon D90 Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +10 more
arty H Senior Member • Posts: 1,543

I can’t comment on the Sony version, but it is great on Canon. It is very sharp and AF is accurate.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads