Best Drone for Photography Mainly

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
SafariBob
SafariBob Senior Member • Posts: 2,087
Re: Best Drone for Photography Mainly

junk1 wrote:

Have you read Sony’s IMX586 product page? I’ve seen semi-technical people say all sorts of guesses regarding this sensor.

It clearly has more detail in 48mp mode than 12mp, so it’s not interpolating a 12mp image.

https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/201807/18-060E/

The mavic air 2 may be good at a lot of things, but still photography without stacking is not one of those things. The m2pro can at least take decent photos without stacking in bright light. But still need a hefty stack in other situations

SafariBob's gear list:SafariBob's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony a7R II Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +1 more
junk1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,754

Yep very noisy and too much flare.  HDR video works well but I’m more into stills.

mmarian Senior Member • Posts: 2,014

junk1 wrote:

Yep very noisy and too much flare. HDR video works well but I’m more into stills.

Let's not forget the question the OP asked. And if we keep that in mind MavicAir2 should simply not be recommended. 12MP or 48MP 1/2" size sensor makes the stills look pretty ordinary, especially at low light. No matter how much processing trickery is engaged, 1/2" sensor can simply not produce ( when it comes to still photos) what 1" or M43 or Super35 or FF sensor can and that is the answer the OP deserves to be given.

h1pst3r88 Regular Member • Posts: 421

junk1 wrote:

Have you read Sony’s IMX586 product page? I’ve seen semi-technical people say all sorts of guesses regarding this sensor.

It clearly has more detail in 48mp mode than 12mp, so it’s not interpolating a 12mp image.

Have you seen any of the dozens of comparisons between the 12mp and 48mp images? I strongly tend to, you know, trust my eyes rather than what what marketers tell me to see.

Kool-aid, anyone?

-- hide signature --

All Description is necessarily selective

h1pst3r88's gear list:h1pst3r88's gear list
Leica X Vario Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Sony RX10 IV Leica SL (Typ 601) Sony a7 III +6 more
Jeff Veteran Member • Posts: 6,257
Shot from today, Mavic 2 Pro

primeshooter wrote:

I've been going round in circles for a while about this. Initially looked at coming in under the registration regs and getting a mavic mini, but being a D850/810 shooter I don't think I could contend with the JPG IQ and lack of manual camera controls. I've now went right up to checking out the mavic air, and mavic pro 2 vs the pro 2 zoom. I tend to like the pro a bit better as the camera seems to be better, and it shoots raw? Should I consider the zoom? What are the tradeoffs in your opinion, 20mp vs 12mp, and the slightly better DR of the pro 2, with no zoom function so fixed at 28mm equiv. Although this drone would be mainly for rural / wilderness area photography I would still like to do video. I have heard that the video 8bit mode is very oversaturated and contrasty. I know it has a 10bit log mode but I'm not sure I'm a video "tweaker" as much as I am with photography - in the sense I'd want to just share unedited clips etc on occasion. Thoughts on this specifically?

What are your recommendations? The max (absolute max is £1500). Priority is RAW capture stills at best quality possible, and a decentish flight time with good connection to the drone so it doesn't get lost or crashed. I'll be using 2-3 shots for exposure blending so need steady flight (again the mavic 2 fits that bill it would seem). I'm assuming that grad ND's aren't used for drones! (I understand for video that ND's can be used of course). Thanks in advance.

This was stitched together from a few shots

This is a jpg with minimal processing in LR

Jeff's gear list:Jeff's gear list
Olympus 45mm F1.2 Pro Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 150mm 1:2.0 +9 more
SafariBob
Re: Shot from today, Mavic 2 Pro

Jeff wrote:

primeshooter wrote:

I've been going round in circles for a while about this. Initially looked at coming in under the registration regs and getting a mavic mini, but being a D850/810 shooter I don't think I could contend with the JPG IQ and lack of manual camera controls. I've now went right up to checking out the mavic air, and mavic pro 2 vs the pro 2 zoom. I tend to like the pro a bit better as the camera seems to be better, and it shoots raw? Should I consider the zoom? What are the tradeoffs in your opinion, 20mp vs 12mp, and the slightly better DR of the pro 2, with no zoom function so fixed at 28mm equiv. Although this drone would be mainly for rural / wilderness area photography I would still like to do video. I have heard that the video 8bit mode is very oversaturated and contrasty. I know it has a 10bit log mode but I'm not sure I'm a video "tweaker" as much as I am with photography - in the sense I'd want to just share unedited clips etc on occasion. Thoughts on this specifically?

What are your recommendations? The max (absolute max is £1500). Priority is RAW capture stills at best quality possible, and a decentish flight time with good connection to the drone so it doesn't get lost or crashed. I'll be using 2-3 shots for exposure blending so need steady flight (again the mavic 2 fits that bill it would seem). I'm assuming that grad ND's aren't used for drones! (I understand for video that ND's can be used of course). Thanks in advance.

if you click on them, and select 100%, you can see all the issues we are talking about

Jeff
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jck_photos/sets/

Sony RX1 Sony a7R II Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +1 more

SafariBob wrote:

Jeff wrote:

primeshooter wrote:

if you click on them, and select 100%, you can see all the issues we are talking about

Jeff

Any advice or pointers would be appreciated. I'm new at this, would love to learn how to maximize my shots.

Olympus 45mm F1.2 Pro Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 150mm 1:2.0 +9 more
SafariBob

Jeff wrote:

SafariBob wrote:

Jeff wrote:

primeshooter wrote:

Jeff

Any advice or pointers would be appreciated. I'm new at this, would love to learn how to maximize my shots.

if you shoot in the evening or morning, you need to take many photos and stack/average them.

you need a tool that doesn’t only do a straight average, but also aligns them, because the drone will move in between.

you can see here:

https://petapixel.com/2013/05/29/a-look-at-reducing-noise-in-photographs-using-median-blending/

Given that you have a 1/2” sensor, all photos, no matter what time of day will benefit from this.

SafariBob wrote:

Jeff wrote:

SafariBob wrote:

Jeff wrote:

primeshooter wrote:

Jeff

if you shoot in the evening or morning, you need to take many photos and stack/average them.

you need a tool that doesn’t only do a straight average, but also aligns them, because the drone will move in between.

you can see here:

https://petapixel.com/2013/05/29/a-look-at-reducing-noise-in-photographs-using-median-blending/

Given that you have a 1/2” sensor, all photos, no matter what time of day will benefit from this.

Isn't the Hasselblad L1D a 1 inch sensor?

I'll play around with stacking ... I do a far bit of focus stacking for some work that I enjoy doing.

SafariBob

Jeff wrote:

SafariBob wrote:

Jeff wrote:

SafariBob wrote:

Jeff wrote:

primeshooter wrote:

Jeff

you can see here:

Isn't the Hasselblad L1D a 1 inch sensor?

sorry, yes, you still need it in this case because it is evening

I'll play around with stacking ... I do a far bit of focus stacking for some work that I enjoy doing.

junk1 wrote:

I do not want to sound argumentative but in that video the 20MP Mavic2Pro clearly resolves much more detail than the so called 48MP Air. That alone tells me that something is not right. 48MP Air should theoretically resolve twice as much detail as the 20MP Pro and that is clearly not the case. Just saying...

mmarian wrote:

I do not want to sound argumentative but in that video the 20MP Mavic2Pro clearly resolves much more detail than the so called 48MP Air. That alone tells me that something is not right. 48MP Air should theoretically resolve twice as much detail as the 20MP Pro and that is clearly not the case. Just saying...

Winner! But Mmarian, you and I already see this the same way. I don't think you are being argumentative at all, I think the two of us are just trying to share some reality about sensor size and its impact on resolution to counter the intentional perception of DJI's marketing.

-Chris

-- hide signature --

Leica X Vario Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Sony RX10 IV Leica SL (Typ 601) Sony a7 III +6 more

h1pst3r88 wrote:

mmarian wrote:

Winner! But Mmarian, you and I already see this the same way. I don't think you are being argumentative at all, I think the two of us are just trying to share some reality about sensor size and its impact on resolution to counter the intentional perception of DJI's marketing.

-Chris

Thanks Chris!

MarcoE
MarcoE Contributing Member • Posts: 883

primeshooter wrote:

Occams Razor wrote:

I believe there are some compatibility issues between Android based devices and the DJI GO 4 app so you should do some research if you go with an Android device.

Here are some full sized JPEGs. These are SOOC with no post.

Randy cheers for the heads' up I will check that. (leaning towards just getting that smart controller as the battery and screen look pretty sweet). These samples are great btw thank you very valuable to see for me. Clearly it's not a flying D850, however the lens looks pretty sharp in the midframe and sides, the far corners and edges suffer a little but not too bad. I see noticeable colour noise in the skies even at ISO 100 as I read. Aside from this it all looks useable. I think pushing the files will mean multiple exposures to increase data, from what I've heard this is possible so all good.

Do you think you could have improved the last image concerning sharpness with a f-stop  of 5.6 or higher ?

MarcoE's gear list:MarcoE's gear list
Sony a7R III Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Adobe Photoshop CS6 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +1 more
junk1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,754

Unsure what video you’re referring too - the half chrome guy? I saw that weeks ago. Not surprising that 4x larger sensor is better.

For video, don’t forget the M2P isn’t really 4k, it pixel bins or line skips, seems it’s 2.7k roughly.

For stills, maybe on a very bright day, the air 2 could have more detail in still images than the 1” but they’d be 4x noisier...just isn’t likely to be better overall than the mavic 2 pro for stills.

I thought we were discussing 12mp versus 48. Half chrome video shows 48 has a tad more detail than 12mp.  I think the “extra” pixels are primarily for hdr video.  Even DJI basically admits 48mp images aren’t much of a feature (recommends only in bright light).

just Tony
just Tony Veteran Member • Posts: 3,069

h1pst3r88 wrote:

Castelrotto in the Italian Dolomites. Pano mode JPG

Late reply to an old thread, but I have to say Nice job. Other than the sample photos on the manufacturer's site this is the first shot I've seen from the 2 Pro that gives me confidence that it can produce photos that I would try to obtain.

It's also the first shot I've seen that confirms that the 2 Pro can internally create stitched panoramas. It's extremely odd that I was able to find nothing about that feature on the company website that come sup for my region. It's a massively touted feature for the Air 2, and with sufficient digging I found that they acknowledge it for the 2 Zoom.

Question to any with direct experience: are there occasional stitching errors? It seems to me that insurance against that would be to take redundant panoramas to counteract bad results from sudden wind gusts that might be encountered mid-sequence.

Also can someone reply with the list of available panoramic modes? Is it the same as with the Air?

-- hide signature --

Wag more; bark less.

Hey Tony, thanks for the kind words. I completely agree with you that the pano mode in the A2P is fantastic. Regarding redundancy against internal stitching errors, you can set the mode to separately save all the individual photos taken for the pano as individual pics in either JPG or RAW... which is something I did and is an awesome feature!

I actually picked up the A2P a week before this trip to the Dolomites solely for the purpose of grabbing shots like this -- I had never flown it until we were in Castelrotto. I took several panos and with regard to stitching errors, there were very few if any issues -- really the pano mode is effortless. I found the 360 mode to less useful but the vertical and horizontal pano modes delivered stunning pics. The straight up single exposures were also fantastic.

I also have a Typhoon H Pro and a Karma with Hero Black 7, but neither of those drones is even close to the qualifying as very high quality flying camera as the A2P. I also have a Sony RX10iv (same 1"-type Sony sensor as the A2P) and an A7iii -- along with a Leica SL and X Vario, and yet still a Fuji X100S. What the Mavic/Hassy can do is very very impressive straight out of the camera.

For still photography I don't think there's a better drone. However the new Typhoon H3 with the same 1"-type Sony sensor co-developed between Yuneec and Leica is intriguing (if expensive) -- the Typhoons are also comparatively HUGE relative to the Mavic -- which I shoved along with smart controller into it's tiny bag and then into my suitcase packed with ski gear for two weeks.

Feel free to ask anything about the A2P -- and I will try to post more pics from the Dolomites soon.

-Chris

just Tony wrote:

h1pst3r88 wrote:

Late reply to an old thread, but I have to say Nice job. Other than the sample photos on the manufacturer's site this is the first shot I've seen from the 2 Pro that gives me confidence that it can produce photos that I would try to obtain.

It's also the first shot I've seen that confirms that the 2 Pro can internally create stitched panoramas. It's extremely odd that I was able to find nothing about that feature on the company website that come sup for my region. It's a massively touted feature for the Air 2, and with sufficient digging I found that they acknowledge it for the 2 Zoom.

Question to any with direct experience: are there occasional stitching errors? It seems to me that insurance against that would be to take redundant panoramas to counteract bad results from sudden wind gusts that might be encountered mid-sequence.

Also can someone reply with the list of available panoramic modes? Is it the same as with the Air?

-- hide signature --

h1pst3r88 wrote:

Hey Tony, thanks for the kind words. I completely agree with you that the pano mode in the A2P is fantastic. Regarding redundancy against ⁶ stitching errors, you can set the mode to separately save all the individual photos taken for the pano as individual pics in either JPG or RAW... which is something I did and is an awesome feature!

I actually picked up the A2P a week before this trip to the Dolomites solely for the purpose of grabbing shots like this -- I had never flown it until we were in Castelrotto. I took several panos and with regard to stitching errors, there were very few if any issues -- really the pano mode is effortless. I found the 360 mode to less useful but the vertical and horizontal pano modes delivered stunning pics. The straight up single exposures were also fantastic.

I also have a Typhoon H Pro and a Karma with Hero Black 7, but neither of those drones is even close to the qualifying as very high quality flying camera as the A2P. I also have a Sony RX10iv (same 1"-type Sony sensor as the A2P) and an A7iii -- along with a Leica SL and X Vario, and yet still a Fuji X100S. What the Mavic/Hassy can do is very very impressive straight out of the camera.

For still photography I don't think there's a better drone. However the new Typhoon H3 with the same 1"-type Sony sensor co-developed between Yuneec and Leica is intriguing (if expensive) -- the Typhoons are also comparatively HUGE relative to the Mavic -- which I shoved along with smart controller into it's tiny bag and then into my suitcase packed with ski gear for two weeks.

Feel free to ask anything about the A2P -- and I will try to post more pics from the Dolomites soon.

-Chris

just Tony wrote:

h1pst3r88 wrote:

Excuse me guys but I am getting a bit confused here. What do you call A2P?

The new Mavic Air2 has 1/2" type sensor and the Mavic2Pro has 1" type sensor in the Hassy branded camera

Quote from above

"same 1"-type Sony sensor as the A2P"

Can you please clarify?

That's my bad... I meant Mavic 2 Pro -- I should've typed M2P.

Long day 

-Chris

-- hide signature --

just Tony
just Tony Veteran Member • Posts: 3,069

Thanks for fleshing that out. I have an RX100 from which I’ve produced 25” prints (from images made in good light) that stand pretty well next to those from my full frame camera, so that’s what drew my interest in the 2P.

I’m also curious about the logistics of taking advantage of the Hasselblad color science features. Do you use software from DJI or Hasselblad to work the color, and/or do they offer plug-ins that can be used with Adobe or DxO?

-- hide signature --

Wag more; bark less.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads