Best Drone for Photography Mainly

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
mmarian Senior Member • Posts: 2,014
Re: Best Drone for Photography Mainly

h1pst3r88 wrote:

mmarian wrote:

Castelrotto in the Italian Dolomites. Pano mode JPG

-Chris

Beautiful photo! May I ask why you regret that you did not use ND filter? ND filters have no purpose when taking stills with drones. They are only used for keeping the shutter speed down in video to follow the fps/shutter speed rule. Perhaps you meant to say Pola filter?

Thanks for the nice comment! The photo was take at f/6.3. I am pretty sure the Hassy's lens is sharpest when opened up a little bit more, like the F/4-5.6 range. With an ND filter, I would've been able to shoot the same exposure with the aperture opened up to F4 or 5.6 and perhaps gotten a bit more sharpness overall.

I also have a Sony RX10iv with basically the same 1" sensor as the Hassy. It is well known with the RX10iv that shooting above f/8 can get you into diffraction issues because of the sensor's tiny size -- again a lower aperture delivers a sharper photo with the RX-10iv; the Sony's beautiful Zeiss 24-600mm F/2.4-4 lens is sharpest at f/4.

Of course I can also do some sharpening in post, but I'd rather shoot a camera (drone mounted or in my hand ) rather than sit in a digital darkroom.

Anyway, that's why I mentioned the ND filter.

-Chris

Why not use shorter shutter speed and open the lens to f4 then?? Were you already on the shortest shutter speed the camera can do?

h1pst3r88 Regular Member • Posts: 421
Re: Best Drone for Photography Mainly

mmarian wrote:

h1pst3r88 wrote:

mmarian wrote:

Castelrotto in the Italian Dolomites. Pano mode JPG

-Chris

Beautiful photo! May I ask why you regret that you did not use ND filter? ND filters have no purpose when taking stills with drones. They are only used for keeping the shutter speed down in video to follow the fps/shutter speed rule. Perhaps you meant to say Pola filter?

Why not use shorter shutter speed and open the lens to f4 then?? Were you already on the shortest shutter speed the camera can do?

I guess I certainly could've stopped down the shutter and opened up the aperture, but then I run the risk of losing sharpness if the drone moved while snapping the pic.

To my original feeling after seeing the pic from the drone, I felt that by simply dropping a mild ND filter on, I would've been able to leave the shutter speed where I was comfortable and open the aperture a stop or two.

Oh, and the M2P's shutter goes can do 1/8000th of a sec at its max.

-Chris

-- hide signature --

All Description is necessarily selective

 h1pst3r88's gear list:h1pst3r88's gear list
Leica X Vario Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Sony RX10 IV Leica SL (Typ 601) Sony a7 III +6 more
mmarian Senior Member • Posts: 2,014
Re: Best Drone for Photography Mainly
2

I think you are getting a bit confused with shutter speed and aperture. If you open the lens from f5.6 to f4 you need to shorten the exposure time say from 1/250s to 1/500 to achieve the same exposure. So by opening the lens you would ended up shooting with shorter shutter speed. No need to worry about image not being sharp due to long exposure time

h1pst3r88 wrote:

mmarian wrote:

h1pst3r88 wrote:

mmarian wrote:

Castelrotto in the Italian Dolomites. Pano mode JPG

-Chris

Beautiful photo! May I ask why you regret that you did not use ND filter? ND filters have no purpose when taking stills with drones. They are only used for keeping the shutter speed down in video to follow the fps/shutter speed rule. Perhaps you meant to say Pola filter?

Why not use shorter shutter speed and open the lens to f4 then?? Were you already on the shortest shutter speed the camera can do?

I guess I certainly could've stopped down the shutter and opened up the aperture, but then I run the risk of losing sharpness if the drone moved while snapping the pic.

To my original feeling after seeing the pic from the drone, I felt that by simply dropping a mild ND filter on, I would've been able to leave the shutter speed where I was comfortable and open the aperture a stop or two.

Oh, and the M2P's shutter goes can do 1/8000th of a sec at its max.

-Chris

MarcoE
MarcoE Contributing Member • Posts: 881
Re: Best Drone for Photography Mainly

mmarian wrote:

It might happen one day...But at this point in time we can only dream about that. And since we are allowed to, I wished Mavic had a FF sensor camera🙂

When can we expect the Mavic Pro 3 ? I’m about to step into drone photgraphy besides shooting with my sony a7r3 for landscapes,  An improved hasselblad sensor on the next generation would be nice.

 MarcoE's gear list:MarcoE's gear list
Sony a7R III Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Adobe Photoshop CS6 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +1 more
mmarian Senior Member • Posts: 2,014
Re: Best Drone for Photography Mainly
1

MarcoE wrote:

mmarian wrote:

It might happen one day...But at this point in time we can only dream about that. And since we are allowed to, I wished Mavic had a FF sensor camera🙂

When can we expect the Mavic Pro 3 ? I’m about to step into drone photgraphy besides shooting with my sony a7r3 for landscapes, An improved hasselblad sensor on the next generation would be nice.

My comment was made as a joke. I have no doubt the the MavicPro3 will be better then 2 if there will be a 3 at all...Hasselblad uses Sony sensors in their cameras so it is likely that the 3 will also have Sony sensor inside, whatever type or size. I personally doubt that it will be bigger then 1" type due to lens size and weight necessary for larger sensors..As said many times before there are laws of physics and those restrict what's possible. If you shoot FF landscapes and want to get similar IQ with drone you need large drone like Inspire2 with x5s or x7. But that is not cheap or practical when traveling light. Exposure bracketing and blending in post can improve the DR when clever processing is applied and nice lanscape photos can be made under good light even with 1" sensor camera.

h1pst3r88 Regular Member • Posts: 421
Re: Best Drone for Photography Mainly
1

MarcoE wrote:

When can we expect the Mavic Pro 3 ? I’m about to step into drone photgraphy besides shooting with my sony a7r3 for landscapes, An improved hasselblad sensor on the next generation would be nice.

[ Just typed this and see that MMarian said basically the exact same thing ]

I have the M2P -- the "Hasselblad" sensor is not a Hasselblad at all, it's Sony's incredibly well-respected 20mp 1"-type sensor as found in the RX100vii and RX10iv (the latter of which I own along with a Sony A7iii).

The Hasselblad contribution is in the color processing not the sensor design or manufacturing. I highly doubt that a M3P would use a different or Hasselblad-made sensor -- there's really just nothing else out there in the market -- which is why many other manufactures use the same Sony sensor.

I think it's more likely that a M3P would instead bring better processing, 8k video (without the highly criticized 4k video line skipping in the M2P), and some of the higher resolution photo modes that we're seeing from the newest Mavic offerings.

However, imagine if DJI bought the now flatlined Olympus like they did the struggling Hasselblad! That could mean bringing phenomenal micro four thirds sensors (like the Inspire) and amazing options for glass. The problem with this is that the Mavic line is too small and heat is already too much for the M2P -- which is why they crippled the 4k video with line skipping in the first place.

I use my M2P almost exclusively for aerial photography and for that it's really a ground-breaking aerial camera -- like a flying RX100vii. Compared to my Typhoon H and Karma with Hero7 Black, the photos are in a different league.

-Chris

-- hide signature --

All Description is necessarily selective

 h1pst3r88's gear list:h1pst3r88's gear list
Leica X Vario Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Sony RX10 IV Leica SL (Typ 601) Sony a7 III +6 more
SafariBob
SafariBob Senior Member • Posts: 2,087
Re: Best Drone for Photography Mainly

MarcoE wrote:

mmarian wrote:

It might happen one day...But at this point in time we can only dream about that. And since we are allowed to, I wished Mavic had a FF sensor camera🙂

When can we expect the Mavic Pro 3 ? I’m about to step into drone photgraphy besides shooting with my sony a7r3 for landscapes, An improved hasselblad sensor on the next generation would be nice.

It seems DJI has stepped into the abyss. Both the mavic mini and the mavic air 2 were disappointments. It seems skydio, Autel etc, have picked up the gauntlet. The only feature dji retains the lead on is obstacle avoidance while flown manually.

will there be a pro 3, certainly, what will be the specs? Who knows. Similar to pro 2 but with a better lens and video seems likely. One can hope for zoom and 1 inch in one, but I guess not.

the cadence of dji releases has also ground to such a halt that there is no telling when it might arrive

 SafariBob's gear list:SafariBob's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony a7R II Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +1 more
h1pst3r88 Regular Member • Posts: 421
Re: Best Drone for Photography Mainly
1

Agreed that Skydio and Autel have some cool stuff coming.

-Chris

-- hide signature --

All Description is necessarily selective

 h1pst3r88's gear list:h1pst3r88's gear list
Leica X Vario Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Sony RX10 IV Leica SL (Typ 601) Sony a7 III +6 more
SafariBob
SafariBob Senior Member • Posts: 2,087
Re: Best Drone for Photography Mainly

h1pst3r88 wrote:

Agreed that Skydio and Autel have some cool stuff coming.

-Chris

and add to that the state of current drone regulation, china -US tradewares, dpi struggles with corruption and disloyalty. It's a perfect storm.

 SafariBob's gear list:SafariBob's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony a7R II Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +1 more
mmarian Senior Member • Posts: 2,014
Re: Best Drone for Photography Mainly
1

h1pst3r88 wrote:

MarcoE wrote:

When can we expect the Mavic Pro 3 ? I’m about to step into drone photgraphy besides shooting with my sony a7r3 for landscapes, An improved hasselblad sensor on the next generation would be nice.

[ Just typed this and see that MMarian said basically the exact same thing ]

I have the M2P -- the "Hasselblad" sensor is not a Hasselblad at all, it's Sony's incredibly well-respected 20mp 1"-type sensor as found in the RX100vii and RX10iv (the latter of which I own along with a Sony A7iii).

The Hasselblad contribution is in the color processing not the sensor design or manufacturing. I highly doubt that a M3P would use a different or Hasselblad-made sensor -- there's really just nothing else out there in the market -- which is why many other manufactures use the same Sony sensor.

I think it's more likely that a M3P would instead bring better processing, 8k video (without the highly criticized 4k video line skipping in the M2P), and some of the higher resolution photo modes that we're seeing from the newest Mavic offerings.

However, imagine if DJI bought the now flatlined Olympus like they did the struggling Hasselblad! That could mean bringing phenomenal micro four thirds sensors (like the Inspire) and amazing options for glass. The problem with this is that the Mavic line is too small and heat is already too much for the M2P -- which is why they crippled the 4k video with line skipping in the first place.

I use my M2P almost exclusively for aerial photography and for that it's really a ground-breaking aerial camera -- like a flying RX100vii. Compared to my Typhoon H and Karma with Hero7 Black, the photos are in a different league.

-Chris

Reasonable people with experience and knowledge usually arrive to the same or very similar conclusion. I think that is to be expected. Dreamers on the other hand just keep dreaming..😉

Len-O Senior Member • Posts: 1,351
Re: Best Drone for Photography Mainly

mmarian wrote:

MarcoE wrote:

mmarian wrote:

It might happen one day...But at this point in time we can only dream about that. And since we are allowed to, I wished Mavic had a FF sensor camera🙂

When can we expect the Mavic Pro 3 ? I’m about to step into drone photgraphy besides shooting with my sony a7r3 for landscapes, An improved hasselblad sensor on the next generation would be nice.

My comment was made as a joke. I have no doubt the the MavicPro3 will be better then 2 if there will be a 3 at all...Hasselblad uses Sony sensors in their cameras so it is likely that the 3 will also have Sony sensor inside, whatever type or size. I personally doubt that it will be bigger then 1" type due to lens size and weight necessary for larger sensors..As said many times before there are laws of physics and those restrict what's possible. If you shoot FF landscapes and want to get similar IQ with drone you need large drone like Inspire2 with x5s or x7. But that is not cheap or practical when traveling light. Exposure bracketing and blending in post can improve the DR when clever processing is applied and nice lanscape photos can be made under good light even with 1" sensor camera.

I normally shoot with a Fujifilm X-T3, and have recently added an MA2 to my shooting options. That gives me a ½" sensor with JPEG+RAW @ 48MP capability. Add to that the ability to shoot 4K 60fps video and ultra Slo-Mo at 120 & 240 fps.

The ½" sensor in the Mavic Air 2 does a reasonable job, even in questionable light.

MA2 48MB processed from RAW (DNG)

...and a 180º pano shot at the same time.

MA2 180º pano

So dollar for dollar, at $799, or $988 for the "Fly More" package, I would say that today your best value in a camera drone is the Mavic Air 2.

...and then consider that the Mavic 2 Pro is twice the price.

 Len-O's gear list:Len-O's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
SafariBob
SafariBob Senior Member • Posts: 2,087
Re: Best Drone for Photography Mainly

Len-O wrote:

mmarian wrote:

MarcoE wrote:

mmarian wrote:

It might happen one day...But at this point in time we can only dream about that. And since we are allowed to, I wished Mavic had a FF sensor camera🙂

When can we expect the Mavic Pro 3 ? I’m about to step into drone photgraphy besides shooting with my sony a7r3 for landscapes, An improved hasselblad sensor on the next generation would be nice.

My comment was made as a joke. I have no doubt the the MavicPro3 will be better then 2 if there will be a 3 at all...Hasselblad uses Sony sensors in their cameras so it is likely that the 3 will also have Sony sensor inside, whatever type or size. I personally doubt that it will be bigger then 1" type due to lens size and weight necessary for larger sensors..As said many times before there are laws of physics and those restrict what's possible. If you shoot FF landscapes and want to get similar IQ with drone you need large drone like Inspire2 with x5s or x7. But that is not cheap or practical when traveling light. Exposure bracketing and blending in post can improve the DR when clever processing is applied and nice lanscape photos can be made under good light even with 1" sensor camera.

I normally shoot with a Fujifilm X-T3, and have recently added an MA2 to my shooting options. That gives me a ½" sensor with JPEG+RAW @ 48MP capability. Add to that the ability to shoot 4K 60fps video and ultra Slo-Mo at 120 & 240 fps.

The ½" sensor in the Mavic Air 2 does a reasonable job, even in questionable light.

MA2 48MB processed from RAW (DNG)

...and a 180º pano shot at the same time.

MA2 180º pano

So dollar for dollar, at $799, or $988 for the "Fly More" package, I would say that today your best value in a camera drone is the Mavic Air 2.

...and then consider that the Mavic 2 Pro is twice the price.

possibly, but it feels like if you are us based, or anywhere where the regulators have gone bananas, you are better off getting the mavic mini or go all the way to the mavic 2 pro if you can deal with the red tape. It’s become an either/or situation I think. Or consider other brands. I would also recommend getting the smart controller if at all possible

 SafariBob's gear list:SafariBob's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony a7R II Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +1 more
Len-O Senior Member • Posts: 1,351
Re: Best Drone for Photography Mainly

SafariBob wrote:

Len-O wrote:

mmarian wrote:

MarcoE wrote:

mmarian wrote:

It might happen one day...But at this point in time we can only dream about that. And since we are allowed to, I wished Mavic had a FF sensor camera🙂

When can we expect the Mavic Pro 3 ? I’m about to step into drone photgraphy besides shooting with my sony a7r3 for landscapes, An improved hasselblad sensor on the next generation would be nice.

My comment was made as a joke. I have no doubt the the MavicPro3 will be better then 2 if there will be a 3 at all...Hasselblad uses Sony sensors in their cameras so it is likely that the 3 will also have Sony sensor inside, whatever type or size. I personally doubt that it will be bigger then 1" type due to lens size and weight necessary for larger sensors..As said many times before there are laws of physics and those restrict what's possible. If you shoot FF landscapes and want to get similar IQ with drone you need large drone like Inspire2 with x5s or x7. But that is not cheap or practical when traveling light. Exposure bracketing and blending in post can improve the DR when clever processing is applied and nice lanscape photos can be made under good light even with 1" sensor camera.

I normally shoot with a Fujifilm X-T3, and have recently added an MA2 to my shooting options. That gives me a ½" sensor with JPEG+RAW @ 48MP capability. Add to that the ability to shoot 4K 60fps video and ultra Slo-Mo at 120 & 240 fps.

The ½" sensor in the Mavic Air 2 does a reasonable job, even in questionable light.

MA2 48MB processed from RAW (DNG)

...and a 180º pano shot at the same time.

MA2 180º pano

So dollar for dollar, at $799, or $988 for the "Fly More" package, I would say that today your best value in a camera drone is the Mavic Air 2.

...and then consider that the Mavic 2 Pro is twice the price.

possibly, but it feels like if you are us based, or anywhere where the regulators have gone bananas, you are better off getting the mavic mini or go all the way to the mavic 2 pro if you can deal with the red tape. It’s become an either/or situation I think. Or consider other brands. I would also recommend getting the smart controller if at all possible

Feature-for-feature the MA2 is far superior to the mini. It has just enough weight that it is very stable in high wind.  Unfortunately it does need to be registered in the US, and I suspect in most other countries. It has ADS-B for detection of manned aircraft (currently US/Canada only). Communication between the controller and MA2 is handled by OcuSync 2.0 rather than WiFi, and that provides for a much more reliable connection. As for going straight to the M2 Pro, the MA2 is a better deal, and not that inferior to the Pro when it comes to photography/video, and certainly it is not inferior when it comes to capability in the air.

The FAA "red tape" is just part of the responsibility of ownership. As a recreational flyer you do not currently require FAA Part 107 certification (only if you plan to turn your drone work into a commercial enterprise). However, in the future there will be a "knowledge" test required. Personally, I see nothing wrong with working towards Part 107 certification just in case you decide to go beyond recreational flying.

Another MA2 180º pano

As far as the Smart Controller goes, I understand that DJI plans to release a firmware update to bring the MA2 on board. Then you will have another $799 to spend. That said, I have no complaints with the new design of the MA2 controller.

 Len-O's gear list:Len-O's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
SafariBob
SafariBob Senior Member • Posts: 2,087
Re: Best Drone for Photography Mainly

Len-O wrote:

SafariBob wrote:

Len-O wrote:

mmarian wrote:

MarcoE wrote:

mmarian wrote:

It might happen one day...But at this point in time we can only dream about that. And since we are allowed to, I wished Mavic had a FF sensor camera🙂

When can we expect the Mavic Pro 3 ? I’m about to step into drone photgraphy besides shooting with my sony a7r3 for landscapes, An improved hasselblad sensor on the next generation would be nice.

My comment was made as a joke. I have no doubt the the MavicPro3 will be better then 2 if there will be a 3 at all...Hasselblad uses Sony sensors in their cameras so it is likely that the 3 will also have Sony sensor inside, whatever type or size. I personally doubt that it will be bigger then 1" type due to lens size and weight necessary for larger sensors..As said many times before there are laws of physics and those restrict what's possible. If you shoot FF landscapes and want to get similar IQ with drone you need large drone like Inspire2 with x5s or x7. But that is not cheap or practical when traveling light. Exposure bracketing and blending in post can improve the DR when clever processing is applied and nice lanscape photos can be made under good light even with 1" sensor camera.

I normally shoot with a Fujifilm X-T3, and have recently added an MA2 to my shooting options. That gives me a ½" sensor with JPEG+RAW @ 48MP capability. Add to that the ability to shoot 4K 60fps video and ultra Slo-Mo at 120 & 240 fps.

The ½" sensor in the Mavic Air 2 does a reasonable job, even in questionable light.

MA2 48MB processed from RAW (DNG)

...and a 180º pano shot at the same time.

MA2 180º pano

So dollar for dollar, at $799, or $988 for the "Fly More" package, I would say that today your best value in a camera drone is the Mavic Air 2.

...and then consider that the Mavic 2 Pro is twice the price.

possibly, but it feels like if you are us based, or anywhere where the regulators have gone bananas, you are better off getting the mavic mini or go all the way to the mavic 2 pro if you can deal with the red tape. It’s become an either/or situation I think. Or consider other brands. I would also recommend getting the smart controller if at all possible

Feature-for-feature the MA2 is far superior to the mini.

agreed.

It has just enough weight that it is very stable in high wind.

ok!

Unfortunately it does need to be registered in the US, and I suspect in most other countries. It has ADS-B for detection of manned aircraft (currently US/Canada only).

indeed

Communication between the controller and MA2 is handled by OcuSync 2.0 rather than WiFi, and that provides for a much more reliable connection.

occusync makes a huge difference imho

As for going straight to the M2 Pro, the MA2 is a better deal, and not that inferior to the Pro when it comes to photography/video, and certainly it is not inferior when it comes to capability in the air.

i disagree with this. I dont think the m2pro is that amazing but the ma2 is much more comparable to the other droner, like the original Mavic or Mavic air.

The FAA "red tape" is just part of the responsibility of ownership.

i disagree.

As a recreational flyer you do not currently require FAA Part 107 certification (only if you plan to turn your drone work into a commercial enterprise). However, in the future there will be a "knowledge" test required. Personally, I see nothing wrong with working towards Part 107 certification just in case you decide to go beyond recreational flying.

i am fine with certification, at least if it was international. My issue is more with all the other rules, particularly line of sight and 400 feet.

i also object vehemently to all the identification stuff, especially in conjunction with onerous rules.

Another MA2 180º pano

As far as the Smart Controller goes, I understand that DJI plans to release a firmware update to bring the MA2 on board.

yup.

Then you will have another $799 to spend. That said, I have no complaints with the new design of the MA2 controller.

the dji apps have never really played well with the iPhone nor android, and that’s not taking into account privacy issues etc.

 SafariBob's gear list:SafariBob's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony a7R II Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +1 more
Len-O Senior Member • Posts: 1,351
Re: Best Drone for Photography Mainly

SafariBob wrote:

Len-O wrote:

SafariBob wrote:

Len-O wrote:

mmarian wrote:

MarcoE wrote:

mmarian wrote:

It might happen one day...But at this point in time we can only dream about that. And since we are allowed to, I wished Mavic had a FF sensor camera🙂

When can we expect the Mavic Pro 3 ? I’m about to step into drone photgraphy besides shooting with my sony a7r3 for landscapes, An improved hasselblad sensor on the next generation would be nice.

My comment was made as a joke. I have no doubt the the MavicPro3 will be better then 2 if there will be a 3 at all...Hasselblad uses Sony sensors in their cameras so it is likely that the 3 will also have Sony sensor inside, whatever type or size. I personally doubt that it will be bigger then 1" type due to lens size and weight necessary for larger sensors..As said many times before there are laws of physics and those restrict what's possible. If you shoot FF landscapes and want to get similar IQ with drone you need large drone like Inspire2 with x5s or x7. But that is not cheap or practical when traveling light. Exposure bracketing and blending in post can improve the DR when clever processing is applied and nice lanscape photos can be made under good light even with 1" sensor camera.

I normally shoot with a Fujifilm X-T3, and have recently added an MA2 to my shooting options. That gives me a ½" sensor with JPEG+RAW @ 48MP capability. Add to that the ability to shoot 4K 60fps video and ultra Slo-Mo at 120 & 240 fps.

The ½" sensor in the Mavic Air 2 does a reasonable job, even in questionable light.

MA2 48MB processed from RAW (DNG)

...and a 180º pano shot at the same time.

MA2 180º pano

So dollar for dollar, at $799, or $988 for the "Fly More" package, I would say that today your best value in a camera drone is the Mavic Air 2.

...and then consider that the Mavic 2 Pro is twice the price.

possibly, but it feels like if you are us based, or anywhere where the regulators have gone bananas, you are better off getting the mavic mini or go all the way to the mavic 2 pro if you can deal with the red tape. It’s become an either/or situation I think. Or consider other brands. I would also recommend getting the smart controller if at all possible

Feature-for-feature the MA2 is far superior to the mini.

agreed.

It has just enough weight that it is very stable in high wind.

ok!

Unfortunately it does need to be registered in the US, and I suspect in most other countries. It has ADS-B for detection of manned aircraft (currently US/Canada only).

indeed

So far I have had a handful of "Manned Aircraft" alerts, no close shaves, but very a helpful addition to enhance situational awareness.

Communication between the controller and MA2 is handled by OccuSync 2.0 rather than WiFi, and that provides for a much more reliable connection.

occusync makes a huge difference imho

...and in most everybody else's' opinion.

As for going straight to the M2 Pro, the MA2 is a better deal, and not that inferior to the Pro when it comes to photography/video, and certainly it is not inferior when it comes to capability in the air.

i disagree with this. I dont think the m2pro is that amazing but the ma2 is much more comparable to the other droner, like the original Mavic or Mavic air.

If you take a look at some of the reviews, the reviewers have been surprised and seem to feel that the MA2 compares favorably with the M2Pro rather than the Mavic 2, and it is in a completely different class to the original Mavic Air.

...now perhaps when DJI releases the Mavic 3/Mavic 3 Pro we will have something to talk about, and even then those will be twice the price of the MA2.

The FAA "red tape" is just part of the responsibility of ownership.

i disagree.

Ultimately it will be, and in many case already is.

As a recreational flyer you do not currently require FAA Part 107 certification (only if you plan to turn your drone work into a commercial enterprise). However, in the future there will be a "knowledge" test required. Personally, I see nothing wrong with working towards Part 107 certification just in case you decide to go beyond recreational flying.

i am fine with certification, at least if it was international. My issue is more with all the other rules, particularly line of sight and 400 feet.

FAA part 107 is US only, and as far as I know there is no Canadian, UK, or EU reseposity, and it is not likely that there will be. Then consider that for the most part the line of sight, and 400 ft AGL rules for small UAS seem to pretty much universal.

At least in the US it is simple enough to get an automatic LAANC authorization when flying in controlled airspace.

...unless you are sitting at the end of the runway.

i also object vehemently to all the identification stuff, especially in conjunction with onerous rules.

Then perhaps you should just go to an FPV quad, since if you are a US resident you are going to have to live with the ID issue in a year or two.

My big problem with all the pending rules and control, is protecting the airspace for enterprise drone flyers such as Amazon rather than any consideration for the recreational flyer/hobbyist.

Another MA2 180º pano

As far as the Smart Controller goes, I understand that DJI plans to release a firmware update to bring the MA2 on board.

yup.

Then you will have another $799 to spend. That said, I have no complaints with the new design of the MA2 controller.

the dji apps have never really played well with the iPhone nor android, and that’s not taking into account privacy issues etc.

I have flown my MA2 using an iPhone 8+, an iPad Pro, and a repurposed iPhone 6S+ with no glitches.

A short local flight

...and a local Sunset flight

 Len-O's gear list:Len-O's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
mmarian Senior Member • Posts: 2,014
Re: Best Drone for Photography Mainly
1

Len-O wrote:

mmarian wrote:

MarcoE wrote:

mmarian wrote:

It might happen one day...But at this point in time we can only dream about that. And since we are allowed to, I wished Mavic had a FF sensor camera🙂

When can we expect the Mavic Pro 3 ? I’m about to step into drone photgraphy besides shooting with my sony a7r3 for landscapes, An improved hasselblad sensor on the next generation would be nice.

My comment was made as a joke. I have no doubt the the MavicPro3 will be better then 2 if there will be a 3 at all...Hasselblad uses Sony sensors in their cameras so it is likely that the 3 will also have Sony sensor inside, whatever type or size. I personally doubt that it will be bigger then 1" type due to lens size and weight necessary for larger sensors..As said many times before there are laws of physics and those restrict what's possible. If you shoot FF landscapes and want to get similar IQ with drone you need large drone like Inspire2 with x5s or x7. But that is not cheap or practical when traveling light. Exposure bracketing and blending in post can improve the DR when clever processing is applied and nice lanscape photos can be made under good light even with 1" sensor camera.

I normally shoot with a Fujifilm X-T3, and have recently added an MA2 to my shooting options. That gives me a ½" sensor with JPEG+RAW @ 48MP capability. Add to that the ability to shoot 4K 60fps video and ultra Slo-Mo at 120 & 240 fps.

The ½" sensor in the Mavic Air 2 does a reasonable job, even in questionable light.

MA2 48MB processed from RAW (DNG)

...and a 180º pano shot at the same time.

MA2 180º pano

So dollar for dollar, at $799, or $988 for the "Fly More" package, I would say that today your best value in a camera drone is the Mavic Air 2.

...and then consider that the Mavic 2 Pro is twice the price.

Do not get me wrong, your photos are very beutiful, as the subject was beautiful indeed. And they are perfectly fine for online posting and perhaps even printing to certain size. Majority of people will have nice complimentary comments, no doubt and that is perfectly ok too. As a photographer though I can see a lots of color noise in the shadows and detail smearing, blotches of color instead of details in some areas etc etc And I understand that to majority of people it will be ok . But no matter how many MP and what trickery DJI can muster the fact remains that 1/2" sensor can only do so much even if it has 48MP at its disposal. The OP asked question about what's best drone for best IQ, so various opinion will be no doubt valuable to him. But we should not loose perspective and inform him truthfully of the facts. At the end of the day only he can decide what's right or acceptable or reasonable for him and I wish him my best when making that decision.

h1pst3r88 Regular Member • Posts: 421
Re: Best Drone for Photography Mainly
1

mmarian wrote:

Do not get me wrong, your photos are very beutiful, as the subject was beautiful indeed. And they are perfectly fine for online posting and perhaps even printing to certain size. Majority of people will have nice complimentary comments, no doubt and that is... But no matter how many MP and what trickery DJI can muster the fact remains that 1/2" sensor can only do so much even if it has 48MP at its disposal.

Agreed. There is software and then there is hardware. Software, no matter how clever (and smartphones have shown us just how clever software can be) will never ever replace hardware. A smaller sensor will never give the performance of a larger sensor. Period.

I don't mean to be disrespectful but the color blotching on the hillside and the lack of definition of the blacked-out trees is atrocious... it shows front and center that the MA2 is a 12-ish MP sensor using a lot of software to create a "48mp" image. It seems to me that you would've been far better off not using the interpolated high MP processing.

I have many cameras of all different stripes. I adore my Sony RX10iv with it's 1"-type sensor (actually more for it's Sony/Zeiss 24-600mm F/2.4-4 lens) but it can't hold a candle to the full-frame sensor of my A7iii or Leica SL. I adore my Leica X Vario and it's 16mp APS-C sensor but neither it nor my RX10ix can hold a candle to my A7iii in low light, high ISO performance... and it's not even close. I adore my Fuji X100S but even with tech more advanced than my X Vario, it's fixed lens can't match the X Vario's Vario Elmar 28-70mm at the same focal length in good light. Software can pull off amazing tricks but it can't make its own hardware anything other than what it is.

The MA2 is a feat of software awesomeness... but it's still a 1/2 sensor. There's a reason it cost less than half what a M2P cost. Sorry, but it's true.

To think that the software interpolated "48mp" on the MA2 is anything close to a real 48MP of a full frame camera is just delusion. The MA2 is a flying cell phone camera; the M2P is a flying Sony RX100/RX10... It only takes a few minutes of pixel peeping to see a dramatic difference.

-Chris

-- hide signature --

All Description is necessarily selective

 h1pst3r88's gear list:h1pst3r88's gear list
Leica X Vario Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Sony RX10 IV Leica SL (Typ 601) Sony a7 III +6 more
junk1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,754
Re: Best Drone for Photography Mainly

You’re wrong regarding 48mp being interpolated. It uses a 12mp color filter but the sensor is 48mp, and the 48mp images are a tad more detailed.  The reason it has so many pixels is for single frame HDR, not for resolution.  The hdr video mode works well.

It must get the 3 colors from further away than if it had a 48mp filter, but your eyes don’t see color nearly as well as contrast (which is why rgb filters work so well). The problem with the sensor is that it’s small, not enough total light captured. I wish it had a faster/brighter lens.

h1pst3r88 Regular Member • Posts: 421
Re: Best Drone for Photography Mainly
1

junk1 wrote:

You’re wrong regarding 48mp being interpolated. It uses a 12mp color filter but the sensor is 48mp, and the 48mp images are a tad more detailed. The reason it has so many pixels is for single frame HDR, not for resolution. The hdr video mode works well

The quad bayer sensor is simply dividing each pixel of a 12mp sensor into 4. It's still a 12mp sensor and there's a reason that DJI won't come out and straight up say that it's a 48mp sensor because it's not. Good marketing, yes, but not a true 48mp sensor by any definition else they would be yelling from the top of every building that it's a true 48mp bayer sensor.

The reality of the quad bayer approach is a massive hit on light gathering ability which is exactly why they rely on HDR processing to compensate for the poor performance. Couple that with a tiny sensor and a fixed 2.8 aperture and there's one result... noise. This is plainly visible in the sunset photos posted above. The noise and blotching is overwhelming.

In the real world, and this is evident on dozens of youtube videos, there is almost no difference between the MA2's photos in 12mp vs "48mp" modes. In fact in some areas, the 12mp renders a better shot.

It's a clever 12mp sensor with good HDR software processing. But if all I wanted was a small sensor with 12mp resolution I would've stayed with my Typhoon H.

Here's a very good video explaining the MA2 sensor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zrJSMehR8o

-Chris

-- hide signature --

All Description is necessarily selective

 h1pst3r88's gear list:h1pst3r88's gear list
Leica X Vario Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Sony RX10 IV Leica SL (Typ 601) Sony a7 III +6 more
junk1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,754
Re: Best Drone for Photography Mainly

Have you read Sony’s IMX586 product page? I’ve seen semi-technical people say all sorts of guesses regarding this sensor.

It clearly has more detail in 48mp mode than 12mp, so it’s not interpolating a 12mp image.

https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/201807/18-060E/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads