Best Drone for Photography Mainly

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
primeshooter
OP primeshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 6,068
Re: Best Drone for Photography Mainly

mmarian wrote:

primeshooter wrote:

Occams Razor wrote:

I believe there are some compatibility issues between Android based devices and the DJI GO 4 app so you should do some research if you go with an Android device.

Here are some full sized JPEGs. These are SOOC with no post.

Randy cheers for the heads' up I will check that. (leaning towards just getting that smart controller as the battery and screen look pretty sweet). These samples are great btw thank you very valuable to see for me. Clearly it's not a flying D850, however the lens looks pretty sharp in the midframe and sides, the far corners and edges suffer a little but not too bad. I see noticeable colour noise in the skies even at ISO 100 as I read. Aside from this it all looks useable. I think pushing the files will mean multiple exposures to increase data, from what I've heard this is possible so all good.

If you are faced with a challenging light doing AEB of 3 or 5 shots can be set instead of single shot. They are taken automatically in quick succession and then easy to blend in LR. It would allow for extra flexibility in post and result in pictures with lower noise and greater DR.

Thanks I'm looking forward to trialling this.

primeshooter
question

Regarding the smart controller, I don't need to use my phone at all? Or do I still need it for the GPS signal? Can I fly without and gps if I can see the drone, (and land). I go to lots of places where my phone has no GPS (data) signal or phone signal, so need advice understanding how that works.

junk1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,754
Re: question

GPS is in the drone so no phone is ever “needed”.

i don’t have link on this device, but there’s a website listing devices that work well with DJI GO (the app).  I think android hasn’t been an issue for years and in fact the smart controller runs android....

primeshooter

junk1 wrote:

i don’t have link on this device, but there’s a website listing devices that work well with DJI GO (the app). I think android hasn’t been an issue for years and in fact the smart controller runs android....

Thanks for clearing that up. Many reviews don't clearly state this fact so thank you.

mmarian Senior Member • Posts: 2,014

junk1 wrote:

i don’t have link on this device, but there’s a website listing devices that work well with DJI GO (the app). I think android hasn’t been an issue for years and in fact the smart controller runs android....

Just one remark to this. GO4 for general Android devices is not the same as GO4 run in Smart Controller (and Crystalsky for that matter). These dedicated DJI devices' OS is based on  Android software but modified (truncated) for the purpose. So, just because GO4 works well in Smart Controller does not necessarily guarantee that Android version of GO4 available for general Android devices will work equally well.

vyoufinder
vyoufinder Senior Member • Posts: 1,788

Occams Razor wrote:

I believe there are some compatibility issues between Android based devices and the DJI GO 4 app so you should do some research if you go with an Android device.

Ya, Mapbox on DJI Go doesn't work, at least in my case and in many other cases I see in DJI Go forums.  Not surprisingly, when people ask about it in their forums, they only get snide replies from DJI who doesn't acknowledge the problem.

I use Litchi for all my DJI drone flying.  It works well, and uses Google Earth instead of Mapbox.  Plus has loads of other features and a better screen view in my opinion for flying with.

-- hide signature --

Your focus is your reality

vyoufinder's gear list:vyoufinder's gear list
Sony a7S Sony a7S II Sony a7S III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +370 more

vyoufinder wrote:

Occams Razor wrote:

Ya, Mapbox on DJI Go doesn't work, at least in my case and in many other cases I see in DJI Go forums. Not surprisingly, when people ask about it in their forums, they only get snide replies from DJI who doesn't acknowledge the problem.

I use Litchi for all my DJI drone flying. It works well, and uses Google Earth instead of Mapbox. Plus has loads of other features and a better screen view in my opinion for flying with.

Is Litchi available and possible to download into Crystalsky monitors?

vyoufinder
vyoufinder Senior Member • Posts: 1,788

mmarian wrote:

vyoufinder wrote:

Occams Razor wrote:

Ya, Mapbox on DJI Go doesn't work, at least in my case and in many other cases I see in DJI Go forums. Not surprisingly, when people ask about it in their forums, they only get snide replies from DJI who doesn't acknowledge the problem.

I use Litchi for all my DJI drone flying. It works well, and uses Google Earth instead of Mapbox. Plus has loads of other features and a better screen view in my opinion for flying with.

Is Litchi available and possible to download into Crystalsky monitors?

I've not tried it, but according to what I found in a quick Google search, yes.  I'd do a little more research before counting on it, but looks like it does.

-- hide signature --

Your focus is your reality

vyoufinder's gear list:vyoufinder's gear list
Sony a7S Sony a7S II Sony a7S III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +370 more

Googled and found the site that lists “known good” devices..

One cheap android phone (no longer available) that people touted recommended had a quad core 1.4ghz (SNAPDRAGON 450?) cpu is all...so I think any above that would be OK.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/tips/best-tabletsphones-for-dji-go.18

primeshooter

junk1 wrote:

Googled and found the site that lists “known good” devices..

One cheap android phone (no longer available) that people touted recommended had a quad core 1.4ghz (SNAPDRAGON 450?) cpu is all...so I think any above that would be OK.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/tips/best-tabletsphones-for-dji-go.18

Yeah but if you aren't using your phone this isn't a concern, right?

Yea phone doesn’t matter if you instead buy the $700 (?) smart controller or buy drone with smart controller which adds a few hundred to the price.

SafariBob
SafariBob Senior Member • Posts: 2,087

it sounds like the mavic 2 pro would be best for you. The bigger sensor is a big win. A separate controller is also very nice, I have both iPhone, iPad and android, and there is always some sort of issue. Not sure how it will work once it seems like in the us, one needs to relay position data continuously to the faa. Presumably Bluetooth tethering to a phone. Occusync 2 and the increased range is a fairly big deal in my opinion. Nevertheless, you will need to stack to get decent shots, and also to ensure you have well executed photos.

i think at present, my preference would have been for a sub 250g drone, but with no 4K or raw, the mavic mini is limited in usefulness. Depending on country the mavic 2 pro would be better, but i would look to get the coontroller. Check out the autels also

SafariBob's gear list:SafariBob's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony a7R II Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +1 more
Harold C New Member • Posts: 10

I wanted a drone for photography, as I don't really take any video. One of my requirements was that the drop be portable so I could take it when I travel.

I initially bought the Mavic Air and that was great for what it was. It was super portable and took decent photos. I understood the limitations of the sensor and wasn't expecting FF, APS-C or even MFT output. I was very happy with the results. The shot of Dunnottar castle was right after sunrise, so there was very little light, given the cloudy day. There is a bunch of noise, which I expected, but am happy with the results.

When the Mavic 2 Pro was released, I quickly sold the Air and purchased the Pro for another upcoming trip to Scotland. Yes, the Pro is a bit bigger physically compared to the Air. But the increase to a 1" sensor was worth the extra weight and size in my bag. It is still fairly portable and with an extra battery, I have enough juice to fly for about an hour, which is longer than the Air with 3 total batteries. The photos have less noise when compared to the Air files.

Bottom line, I am happy with the Pro because of it's portability, weight and ease of use. If you don't need to travel with the drone, then there are a few more options.

Harold C's gear list:Harold C's gear list
Leica Q Fujifilm X-Pro3
primeshooter

Harold C wrote:

I wanted a drone for photography, as I don't really take any video. One of my requirements was that the drop be portable so I could take it when I travel.

I initially bought the Mavic Air and that was great for what it was. It was super portable and took decent photos. I understood the limitations of the sensor and wasn't expecting FF, APS-C or even MFT output. I was very happy with the results. The shot of Dunnottar castle was right after sunrise, so there was very little light, given the cloudy day. There is a bunch of noise, which I expected, but am happy with the results.

When the Mavic 2 Pro was released, I quickly sold the Air and purchased the Pro for another upcoming trip to Scotland. Yes, the Pro is a bit bigger physically compared to the Air. But the increase to a 1" sensor was worth the extra weight and size in my bag. It is still fairly portable and with an extra battery, I have enough juice to fly for about an hour, which is longer than the Air with 3 total batteries. The photos have less noise when compared to the Air files.

Bottom line, I am happy with the Pro because of it's portability, weight and ease of use. If you don't need to travel with the drone, then there are a few more options.

Thanks for weighing in. I live not that far from Dunnotar, love that place. It's one of the reasons I want a drone. Some lovely shots, but a far far cry from FX image quality as you say. I think I am leaning towards the larger sensor mavic pro 2.

Thank you for the full res pictures, really helpful. You can really see the noise and colour noise in the air shots. I can see the leap in IQ on the pro, that's a lovely shot that 2nd one btw, pleasing colour too.

h1pst3r88 Regular Member • Posts: 421

Love the Mavic 2 Pro. This was taken on one of my first flights when we were in Italy in Feb -- it's SOOC JPG. It was not taken with an ND filter (though wish I had brought one). It is a wonderful little flying Hasselblad.

I also have both the Smart Controller and the standard one that I use with an iPad and PolarPro mount. Though I bought it, I have *never* used the standard controller with iPad because the Smart Controller is quite a bit brighter and is much nicer in the hand (and in the bag).

In addition to the M2P I have a Typhoon H and a Karma (on closeout from GoPro for $300 + Karma grip!) drones Both fun but the M2P is a superior image making machine in every way; the adjustable aperture, 1" sensor, and solid software implementation being most of the reason. But the portability and flight time are also really big advantages. Of course, you pay for it with the M2P.

Also check Adorama for used. I bought my M2P in unused condition in the box with Smart Controller for $1500... and was still able to buy DJI Refesh as if it was a new drone.

Castelrotto in the Italian Dolomites. Pano mode JPG

-Chris

-- hide signature --

All Description is necessarily selective

h1pst3r88's gear list:h1pst3r88's gear list
Leica X Vario Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Sony RX10 IV Leica SL (Typ 601) Sony a7 III +6 more

h1pst3r88 wrote:

Love the Mavic 2 Pro. This was taken on one of my first flights when we were in Italy in Feb -- it's SOOC JPG. It was not taken with an ND filter (though wish I had brought one). It is a wonderful little flying Hasselblad.

I also have both the Smart Controller and the standard one that I use with an iPad and PolarPro mount. Though I bought it, I have *never* used the standard controller with iPad because the Smart Controller is quite a bit brighter and is much nicer in the hand (and in the bag).

In addition to the M2P I have a Typhoon H and a Karma (on closeout from GoPro for $300 + Karma grip!) drones Both fun but the M2P is a superior image making machine in every way; the adjustable aperture, 1" sensor, and solid software implementation being most of the reason. But the portability and flight time are also really big advantages. Of course, you pay for it with the M2P.

Also check Adorama for used. I bought my M2P in unused condition in the box with Smart Controller for $1500... and was still able to buy DJI Refesh as if it was a new drone.

-Chris

Beautiful photo! May I ask why you regret that you did not use ND filter? ND filters have no purpose when taking stills with drones. They are only used for keeping the shutter speed down in video to follow the fps/shutter speed rule. Perhaps you meant to say Pola filter?

Agree and was tempted to say the same. A graduated density filter might help. I wish somebody made the type where it is darkest near the center for sunsets.

reverse graduated ND filter.

primeshooter

junk1 wrote:

Agree and was tempted to say the same. A graduated density filter might help. I wish somebody made the type where it is darkest near the center for sunsets.

reverse graduated ND filter.

Kinda limited with a drone I mean adjusting the position. I think bracketing would be a better option...the pro can hold still enough to at least get you 3 to 5 shots.

Yea would need to move/tilt to get it aligned. Maybe the NiSi brand with harder transition would work but I bet the top of image would be too dark. They sell a kit of 2 graduated filters with “normal” and “hard” (more abrupt) transitions.

h1pst3r88 Regular Member • Posts: 421

mmarian wrote:

-Chris

Beautiful photo! May I ask why you regret that you did not use ND filter? ND filters have no purpose when taking stills with drones. They are only used for keeping the shutter speed down in video to follow the fps/shutter speed rule. Perhaps you meant to say Pola filter?

Thanks for the nice comment! The photo was take at f/6.3. I am pretty sure the Hassy's lens is sharpest when opened up a little bit more, like the F/4-5.6 range. With an ND filter, I would've been able to shoot the same exposure with the aperture opened up to F4 or 5.6 and perhaps gotten a bit more sharpness overall.

I also have a Sony RX10iv with basically the same 1" sensor as the Hassy. It is well known with the RX10iv that shooting above f/8 can get you into diffraction issues because of the sensor's tiny size -- again a lower aperture delivers a sharper photo with the RX-10iv; the Sony's beautiful Zeiss 24-600mm F/2.4-4 lens is sharpest at f/4.

Of course I can also do some sharpening in post, but I'd rather shoot a camera (drone mounted or in my hand ) rather than sit in a digital darkroom.

Anyway, that's why I mentioned the ND filter.

-Chris

-- hide signature --

All Description is necessarily selective

h1pst3r88's gear list:h1pst3r88's gear list
Leica X Vario Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Sony RX10 IV Leica SL (Typ 601) Sony a7 III +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads