16-80 corner sharpness

Started Apr 3, 2020 | Discussions
Jacaustin Forum Member • Posts: 99
16-80 corner sharpness

Forgive the “photos of photo,” but I have been very happy with the corner sharpness of my 16-80. I have a 16 x 24 photo of the Grand Canyon taken back in late December with my new 16-80, and the corners are very acceptably sharp IMO.

Please post your corners from 16-80 images...

Upper left:

Lower Left:

upper right:

Lower Right:

Rightsaidfred
Rightsaidfred Contributing Member • Posts: 955
Re: 16-80 corner sharpness // Browser tool for corner comparison

There is a great browser tool to compare the four corners of an image.

https://keepcoding.ch/demo/decenteringtest/

It will not upload anything to the www, just locally to your browser.

It does not compare center with corners, just the four corners among each other. You can simply upload the same file four times. It displays 100 % crops for easy comparison. You can shift the crops.

Many thanks to keepcoding.

For an application example (decentering test), see here.

BR,

Martin

-- hide signature --
 Rightsaidfred's gear list:Rightsaidfred's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Venus Laowa 15mm F4 Macro +5 more
OP Jacaustin Forum Member • Posts: 99

I am aware of many controlled procedures for assessing corner sharpness, but my preferred way is to look at a printed photo of considerable size and assess for myself.

That photo was taken hand held as well. Kudos to the OIS.

So far I am a big fan of this lens, so I think it’s worth mentioning since I am still seeing people who’ve never owned the lens calling it soft in the corners and expressing their disappointment in it. Ive used multiple different systems, and this certainly has to be one of the best travel lenses dollar for dollar that I have ever had.

Steve W Veteran Member • Posts: 5,441

Jacaustin wrote:

I am aware of many controlled procedures for assessing corner sharpness, but my preferred way is to look at a printed photo of considerable size and assess for myself.

So far I am a big fan of this lens, so I think it’s worth mentioning since I am still seeing people who’ve never owned the lens calling it soft in the corners and expressing their disappointment in it. Ive used multiple different systems, and this certainly has to be one of the best travel lenses dollar for dollar that I have ever had.

And its bundled price with the new X-T4  or X-T3 is great at only $500. I got mine when it first came out and payed $799 for it. At least I got a great deal through GreenToe for my X-T3 which is equivalent of the current price on the combo of the X-T3 and the XF 16-80mm f/4.

This lens and either of these bodies is the perfect travel kit I think. Really can't beat the size and weight and flexibility it gives you.  am of course a fan.

-- hide signature --

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe! - Words to live by. Albert Einstein

Steve W's gear list:Steve W's gear list
Sony a9 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T4 Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM +35 more
Lettermanian
Lettermanian Senior Member • Posts: 1,818

Jacaustin wrote:

I'm one of those non-owners who has seen examples of ok corners, as well as soft, even messy corners. It's either copy variation or something else. I posted another thread today asking if any XF 16-80 lens owners could see a difference in corner focus at both the 16mm and 80mm ends with the Lens Modulation Optimizer turned on and off. I'd be intrigued to know if there is a noticeable difference between pure optical performance vs the software-corrected performance. It's pure speculation but I wonder if the poorer results were from owners who had the LMO turned off, and the better results with the LMO turned on. Care to try some test shots? 🤔

-- hide signature --

"Be yourself. No one can say you're doing it wrong." -Charles M. Schulz
"I love mankind... it's PEOPLE I can't stand!!" - Linus

Lettermanian's gear list:Lettermanian's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR +1 more
a_c_skinner Forum Pro • Posts: 10,789
Re: 16-80 corner sharpness

That is a really nice image.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
Rightsaidfred
Rightsaidfred Contributing Member • Posts: 955

a_c_skinner wrote:

That is a really nice image.

Agree! The image is really cool

Martin

Rightsaidfred's gear list:Rightsaidfred's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Venus Laowa 15mm F4 Macro +5 more
georgehudetz Veteran Member • Posts: 4,981

Jacaustin wrote:

I am aware of many controlled procedures for assessing corner sharpness, but my preferred way is to look at a printed photo of considerable size

If you consider 16x24 to be a large print, then I suppose your method is just fine, for you. Others will want to print larger.

and assess for myself.

So far I am a big fan of this lens, so I think it’s worth mentioning since I am still seeing people who’ve never owned the lens calling it soft in the corners

Because it is, at the wide and long ends. This is well documented fact at this point in history. I don't need to buy a copy to know that is true, just like I don't need to personally see a loved one die from COVID-19 to know that it can be deadly.

Fortunately, the lens seems to have good corner-to-corner sharpness over most of it's FL range. What focal length and aperture did you use for this shot?

and expressing their disappointment in it.

Because we are, and, since it factually doesn't meet our expectations, we have good reason to be.

Ive used multiple different systems, and this certainly has to be one of the best travel lenses dollar for dollar that I have ever had.

That very well may be true, but that's different from saying it has sharp corners across it's FL range, isn't it?

georgehudetz's gear list:georgehudetz's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +10 more

Thank you Andrew. Got lucky to have snow at the Grand Canyon on the day we visited.

Steve W Veteran Member • Posts: 5,441
Re: 16-80 corner sharpness - Please explain setup if you post

To those who do post or make a statement about performance can I ask you to please include the following information

- Firmware Version: 1.0, 1.01, 1.02, or the latest 1.03 which just became available in US on 26-March

- Lens modulation on or off

Want to make sure we understand the setup that was used for your assessment.

Thank you.

-- hide signature --

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe! - Words to live by. Albert Einstein

Steve W's gear list:Steve W's gear list
Sony a9 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T4 Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM +35 more

Shot at 16mm, f 7.1, ISO 200, 1/400, firmware 1.02, Lens Modulation Optimizer ON. Handheld.

Thank you Martin!

I keep seeing references to softness on the 16-80, so I started questioning my results. Today I did a series of test photos at ISO 200 on a tripod with a two second delay at different focal links and apertures. I was prepared to be underwhelmed and trade it towards an XT-4 or one of the upcoming roadmap lenses.

I manually focused on the corners and center at each setting. I came away concluding that I am more than happy with sharpness in the corners, though they are soft at 80 mm, improving to just acceptable in the far corners at f8.0. From 70 mm down to 16 mm there is very acceptable sharpness at 100% in all four corners at 5.6 and 8.0.

For a travel lens it will deliver great results, which is consistent with my experience at the Grand Canyon in December.

At 80 mm and f4.0 the center is plenty sharp for a portrait. If I did landscape at 80 mm I would slightly adjust my expectations for the gallery wall (or change lenses), use apertures between 5.6 and 8.0, and place the focal point of the composition near the center.

Again, this is a great and versatile travel lens. Having owned it, used it, and now tested it carefully, I have a lot of confidence in it with exception of the far corners on the long end being softish.

PS- I tested my 35 mm F2.0 also today that I dropped on river rocks at the lake last September, and it is as sharp as ever. It landed first on the cheap plastic hood, which seems to have absorbed a lot of the energy. Hooray for Fuji’s cheap plastic hoods

jjz2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,051

Jacaustin wrote:

I'd be more interested to see how it compared to say, the 16mm 2.8 and 90mm f2, any idea?

Odd question I know...

I'm just skeptical of 4x travel primes and for a shot like that would shoot with a prime still, even on vacation. BUT if it could give similar quality... I might be convinced.

When I travel I usually want to get the best shots because I'm in a cool place I've never been..., and it's only time I get up at ass-crack of dawn for sunrise shots, etc... was just Northern AZ last year for first time ever.

It's when I'm around the house or around town when I use my 18-55 zoom. I think most people maybe opposite, but when I'm traveling is when I'm getting my best shots of the year.

jjz2's gear list:jjz2's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
Primes basically crush 5X Zoom on image quality

I think you bring up a very good point. I also have the 90, and it is probably my favorite lens. It seems to be nearly optically perfect. It’s also is heavy and lacks versatility and OIS.

I’ll bring my entire bag on some vacations, but other times I need to travel light.

The trade-off is versatility and convenience versus optimum quality, and my post was simply to say that you can get some very acceptable quality out of this convenient and versatile lens.

If I am traveling with my family I’ll drive everybody crazy stopping every few minutes and changing lenses and pulling out tripods...

jjz2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,051

Yeah I totally understand. Luckily it's just me and my wife usually and she often stops and takes more pics than me!

We also usually do some on location photoshoots on vacation also.

if 16-80 could get really sharp stopped down to f8/f11 I might consider. The OIS at least is supposed to be very good with that lens.

jjz2's gear list:jjz2's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more

No sales commission for me, but I’m satisfied that my copy will produce solid results 16-70 mm f5.6-f11 and nice enough flower shots and portraits at 80 mm and f4. I can confirm build quality and OIS is truly excellent. That said, I’m going try NOT to use it in favor of my primes except when I need the convenience and flexibility.

My family stays on the move, so I constantly yo-yo when we hike, etc.- I stop for the shot then catch up...

This review is entirely consistent with my impressions, including his conclusions around sharpness:

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/fujifilm-fujinon-xf-16-80mm-f4-r-ois-wr

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads