Best subscription or purchases courses for retouching.

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
alb0t New Member • Posts: 10
Best subscription or purchases courses for retouching.

Hi everyone,

I'm doing my 2 weeks quarantine since coming back to Australia and like many people will be extremely restricted once it's up, as it should be I'm going to make the most of my time so as well as learning a language I'd like to get my PS & retouch skills to a fairly high level.
I work full time as a digitech and photographer and would class myself as an intermediate user of PS, fairly advanced with C1 as its my job. I'm happy to spend on education and self-investment and would like to know peoples experiences with the main vendors of online content.
I've tried CreativeLive and Lynda and while I think they offer some good content a lot of the time it's a bit too broad for me. I've done pretty much everything Deke McLelland offers on Lynda it was how i first started out. I'm looking at PRO EDU and PHLearn but would be happy to take any suggests, I'm open to everything. PRO EDU is expensive but looks to be really well curated, that being said I have no experience with them.
I'm a fairly quick learner and will get a good few hours in every day since like many i have nothing on the books for 2020 so something updated frequently with a lot of content would be great. Also not against watching good courses on posing, lighting and pretty much everything else. Might as well gain more skills while I'm stuck here!

Cariboou
Cariboou Veteran Member • Posts: 3,189
Re: Best subscription or purchases courses for retouching.

I give you two others name:

www.Udemy.com

www.Kelbyone.com

-- hide signature --
 Cariboou's gear list:Cariboou's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +2 more
irv00 Senior Member • Posts: 1,537

alb0t wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm doing my 2 weeks quarantine since coming back to Australia and like many people will be extremely restricted once it's up, as it should be I'm going to make the most of my time so as well as learning a language I'd like to get my PS & retouch skills to a fairly high level.
I work full time as a digitech and photographer and would class myself as an intermediate user of PS, fairly advanced with C1 as its my job. I'm happy to spend on education and self-investment and would like to know peoples experiences with the main vendors of online content.
I've tried CreativeLive and Lynda and while I think they offer some good content a lot of the time it's a bit too broad for me. I've done pretty much everything Deke McLelland offers on Lynda it was how i first started out. I'm looking at PRO EDU and PHLearn but would be happy to take any suggests, I'm open to everything. PRO EDU is expensive but looks to be really well curated, that being said I have no experience with them.
I'm a fairly quick learner and will get a good few hours in every day since like many i have nothing on the books for 2020 so something updated frequently with a lot of content would be great. Also not against watching good courses on posing, lighting and pretty much everything else. Might as well gain more skills while I'm stuck here!

Piximperfect in YouTube is all you need. And it’s free

OP alb0t New Member • Posts: 10

I've actually used a few of his videos and they're great. However I find I learn a lot faster if i have course files to follow along with and I'm not sure if he provides them.
Also - I find his finished work a bit heavy handed - although i understand this is probably the easiest way to show people what he's doing. He is no doubt a brilliant operator and he is giving such a wonderful resource to the world, 10/10 for being a great guy, we just all like different things you know.
I find Aaron Nace of PHLearn to work for me most of the time, I'm just interested in other options. PRO EDU offers lots of cool looking courses but I'd like to hear some first hand experience.

Thomas Guenther Senior Member • Posts: 1,350

alb0t wrote:

Hi everyone,

For C! check out the youtube channels from PhaseOne. You will find over 50 hourly session and webinars to every topic possible in C1.

You may find the resources directly on youtube or via COne website.

-- hide signature --

some lenses - some bodies

Thankyou very much for the tips my friend, I'm pretty handy in Capture One but I'll be sure to have a look. It's not really that deep a program though to be honest (comparatively of course). I wish they would put in some more quality of life features instead of giving us style packs every year. Still can't change hue quickly outside a small range!
They have a monopoly on tethering unfortunately which is why we're seeing lacklustre updates and price hikes every 12 months.

Sailor Blue
Sailor Blue Forum Pro • Posts: 15,527

I'm a Lightroom/Photoshop user.

I started out making the global changes in LR then retouching using PS. It was time consuming.

Looking for something easier I tried PortraitPro and Portraiture. They overdid the edits by default and by the time I fixed that, even after changing the default settings, I was spending more time on an image than I did in PS.

I finally found a free PS retouching action by a professional retoucher Kristina Sherk. It takes awhile, how long depending on your computer, to run but the result is a logical stack of layers that you do the retouching with. Simply start at the bottom and work your way up and the end result is a complete retouch for most subjects. You can add layers for extra edits such as using Free Transform to slim a subject or fix bumps and dents in the skin or clothing.

The action is a bit messy but it works well. If you know anything about actions you can change some of the commands such as what kind of smoothing is used for the skin, for instance you could change the default Surface Blur to Gaussian Blur.

The video tutorial is a poorly produced video and Kristina is very uncomfortable in front of a camera but it gets all the necessary information across. If you can get a free day or two with KelbyOne you can see videos by Kristina with the same information but with better production values.

Kristina is now offering more actions, brushes, and effects and her web site has links to some of her videos. You can get the free "Portrait in a Pinch" action on her web site.

Kristina Sherk - Shark Pixel - Entire Collection – Portrait Editing

This is the free video of how to retouch with the action.

Kristina Sherk - Retouching Portrait Photography with Photoshop Quick Actions on Vimeo

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Pattaya, Thailand. Canon 5DS R & 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5DS R Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX +9 more

Thanks mate but that's not what I'm after. I want to improve and a don't mind getting deep into Photoshop. I don't want to be baked into someone else's workflow, it's always more limiting.

Sailor Blue
Sailor Blue Forum Pro • Posts: 15,527

alb0t wrote:

Thanks mate but that's not what I'm after. I want to improve and a don't mind getting deep into Photoshop. I don't want to be baked into someone else's workflow, it's always more limiting.

Improving your Photoshop skills is always a good goal. In that case I recommend the video tutorials on Lightroom and Photoshop by Matt Kloskowski. First rate.

Matt Kloskowski | Lightroom, Photoshop, Photography Training

To get an idea of who Matt is and his teaching style you can watch a bunch of free videos by him.

Matt Kloskowski - Stuck Inside

If your primary aim is to improve your portrait retouching skills then go ahead and get the Portrait in a Pinch action, watch the video, and use the action for at least 6 images. Whether or not you like the workflow using it will teach you a lot and help you create your own workflow.

Especially important in any PS workflow is the order of doing edits.

Always work on added layers, not on the background layer itself.

Always put pixel based change layers first.  The top pixel change layer stops all changes to lower adjustments from changing the image so keep in mind that you may have to replace the higher pixel change layers if you change a lower pixel level change layer.

All adjustment layer change ripples upward so all the adjustment layers should then be put on top the pixel change layers.  This allows you to go back down the stack and make changes to the adjustment layers and the top level pixel change layer without having to redo the entire edit.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Pattaya, Thailand. Canon 5DS R & 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5DS R Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads