This month with your Nikon 1 - April 2020

Started Apr 1, 2020 | Discussions
holgerlinke Regular Member • Posts: 455
This month with your Nikon 1 - April 2020

Welcome to another monthly thread. Feel free to share your work either here or through individual threads on the forum, whatever you are more comfortable with.

The rules are simple:

• Add your contribution by responding to this first message in this topic.
  • Change the subject of your message, then embed your image into the reply with whatever you’d like to say about it.
  • If you want criticism/critique (C&C) or technique feedback, say so. It’s generally assumed that you want general feedback, but direct requests make it clearer.

The title of the thread shouldn't discourage you from posting older pictures. Feel free to post anything that you found again in your archives or that you are currently working on.

Link to previous threads:

2020: March - Feb - Jan

2019: Dec - Nov - Oct - Sep - Aug - July - June - May - April - March - Feb - Jan

2018: Dec - Nov - Oct - Sep - Aug - July - June - May - April - March - Feb - Jan

2017: Dec - Nov - Oct - Sep - Aug - July - June - May- April - March - Feb

Cheers,
Holger

holgerlinke's gear list:holgerlinke's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Nikon 1 V3 Nikon 1 J5 Sony a7R II Nikon Z7 +19 more
Adzor Contributing Member • Posts: 519
Beach tennis

Before the quarantine

Adzor's gear list:Adzor's gear list
Nikon 1 Nikkor 32mm f/1.2 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon 1 J5 +12 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 3,290
Re: Beach tennis

great image you've captured.

I love your composition in this silhouette: player in motion and the ball in the opposing quarter of the frame

richard

Wu Jiaqiu
Wu Jiaqiu Forum Pro • Posts: 29,079
Empty

-- hide signature --

the computer says no

Wu Jiaqiu's gear list:Wu Jiaqiu's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D2Xs Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +3 more
Hans-geo
Hans-geo New Member • Posts: 3
Re: This month with your Nikon 1 - April 2020

Cropped:

A frog with a friend.

I have never seen this before. A honey bee eating something as she went from the back to the head of this frog. The frog closed the eye when she came too close to it.

Hans-geo's gear list:Hans-geo's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D7100 Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon 1 J5 +8 more
OP holgerlinke Regular Member • Posts: 455
Time to build a new home

Collecting moss for the nest box:

Being stuck in home office at least allows for some observation opportunities...

Cheers,
Holger

Re: Time to build a new home

And I'm still asking myself why I waited so long before getting that 300/4 PF lens... even focussing manually is so easy now on the V3 with EVF compared to the 70-300 CX:

RichDitch
RichDitch Senior Member • Posts: 1,459

holgerlinke wrote:

And I'm still asking myself why I waited so long before getting that 300/4 PF lens... even focussing manually is so easy now on the V3 with EVF compared to the 70-300 CX:

Nice shots of this tit.

Can you elaborate on your comment comparing the 300/4 PF lens to the native 70-300? I've got the older 300/4 without VR and have used it a couple times wit the FT1, but not in MF mode.

PTMcH
PTMcH Regular Member • Posts: 374
Quarantine espresso shot

I have forgotten how much fun is to shoot with my old Super Takumar 55mm f/1.8.  With stay at home order, this is a great lens to shoot around the house with extension tube.

PTMcH's gear list:PTMcH's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7100 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon D500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +18 more
PTMcH
PTMcH Regular Member • Posts: 374
Orchid; from the prosective of coop up eyes

I don't know how much longer I can resist from buying a rail and decent lights.

PTMcH's gear list:PTMcH's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7100 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon D500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +18 more

rich_cx139 wrote:

great image you've captured.

I love your composition in this silhouette: player in motion and the ball in the opposing quarter of the frame

richard

Thanks for your nice comment Richard.

We had a nice few days at this spot, where wetland and coast meet and the sea mist provided some really nice lighting for photos of family playing and the local wildlife.

Will share some other photos in different threads, but here is one of the tennis in the mist.

Cheers,

Beach tennis in the sea mist

RichDitch wrote:

holgerlinke wrote:

Nice shots of this tit.

Can you elaborate on your comment comparing the 300/4 PF lens to the native 70-300? I've got the older 300/4 without VR and have used it a couple times wit the FT1, but not in MF mode.

I have configured the V3 to use back-button focus through the AE-L/AF-L button and have cranked the sharpening setting in the Picture Control to a higher value to help evaluating focus. As the AF box on the V3 is rather large, the AF tends to focus on nearby contrasty objects but not necessarily on the intended target. Thus I use the BB focus to get close to the target and the manual focus override for adjustment.

Both the 70-300 CX and the 300/4 PF have the "manual override" feature, but the FF DSLR lens has a more direct response to turning the MF ring. With the CX lens, I tend to overshoot because of the noticeable fly-by-wire delay; also the fine adjustment is slower and the fast-moving bird often gone before focus is reached. The FX has also better contrast and sharpness compared to the CX lens, which also helps with MF.

It might be a matter of training though... for me it is still hit and miss with the 300/4 PF, but with the CX it is a lot more miss than hit.

Wu Jiaqiu
Wu Jiaqiu Forum Pro • Posts: 29,079
Ducks with J3 and 300mm/4 AF-S

i usually do these shots with a V1 but i stuck my trusty loupe and 300mm/4 on the J3 and gave it a shot, the AF is much more confident and the lens doesn't do a sort of stutter to lock, it just locks straight away, 30% of shots were slightly OOF but i am putting this down mainly to myself at the moment, very pleased for a camera that cost £60

-- hide signature --

the computer says no

Wu Jiaqiu's gear list:Wu Jiaqiu's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D2Xs Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +3 more
RichDitch
RichDitch Senior Member • Posts: 1,459

Thanks for the details on how you use the 300/4. I might do some experiments just to see how that works for me.

WCguy Senior Member • Posts: 1,100
Seem Like Just Yesterday !

Just a series of shots of my son with V3 and 70-300 lens when things were normal, how fast life changes with the swing of a bat !

It's What You Learn After You Know It All That Counts !

WCguy's gear list:WCguy's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 AW1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon 1 V3 +37 more
fafitz Contributing Member • Posts: 561
Spring

I put the 10mm extension and the 30-110 on my V1 and walked around the neighborhood a couple of days ago.  Everything seems to be in bloom.

Frank

On a bush down the street

Wild mustard is in full bloom now

Last of the daisies in the canyon

Tiny, ground hugging, plants

A succulent on our front porch

-- hide signature --

D300; N1 V1; S1 IS

fafitz's gear list:fafitz's gear list
Nikon D1 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +6 more
jerseyinHK Forum Member • Posts: 68

Sunrise over HK....

Nice colours and light.

André BARELIER
André BARELIER Forum Pro • Posts: 11,296

Adzor wrote:

Before the quarantine

Superb image! Congratulations!

-- hide signature --

André

André BARELIER's gear list:André BARELIER's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D3300 +10 more
André BARELIER
André BARELIER Forum Pro • Posts: 11,296
Re: Quarantine espresso shot

PTMcH wrote:

I have forgotten how much fun is to shoot with my old Super Takumar 55mm f/1.8. With stay at home order, this is a great lens to shoot around the house with extension tube.

Very nice idea and picture!

-- hide signature --

André

André BARELIER's gear list:André BARELIER's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D3300 +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads