Problems with focus Ricoh GX100

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Pozz82
Pozz82 New Member • Posts: 6
Problems with focus Ricoh GX100

Hi, I purchased a used Ricoh GX100. I have a problem with focusing at infinity or in any case at distances of a few meters. Sometimes it works properly in all modes, sometimes it seems to hang a few centimeters and only work in Macro. The battery is still the original one and is 13 years old, it doesn't last very long. The firmware is 1.16 and I don't know if with an underperforming battery I can perform the update. Do you know what the problem may be?

thank you all for any advice

Ricoh Caplio GX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
schaki Senior Member • Posts: 2,375
Re: Problems with focus Ricoh GX100

Regarding infinity focus using landscape-symbol. Focus will unfortunately be off and that is normal for other old Ricoh compacts as well. Not sure why Ricoh made this decision. If you use normal AF’,multi or spot, and focus on the background, then it really should be in focus.If not, something is probably wrong.

Firmware update dont take very long. About one minute or one and a half as longest. The speed of the SD card may have a small impact.

Battery, Ricoh db-60 or the newer db-65 will work. Db-65 stores somewhat more power.

schaki's gear list:schaki's gear list
Contax TVS Digital Kyocera Finecam S5 Kyocera Finecam SL400R Ricoh Caplio 500SE Ricoh Caplio R3 +1 more
Pozz82
OP Pozz82 New Member • Posts: 6

Initially I thought the problem was focus mechanism, but in macro mode it work at all distances. In infinity or snap mode don't work, in manual mode the focus stopped at short distance

Tungsten Nordstein
Tungsten Nordstein Senior Member • Posts: 2,372

Pozz82 wrote:

Initially I thought the problem was focus mechanism, but in macro mode it work at all distances. In infinity or snap mode don't work, in manual mode the focus stopped at short distance

I'm afraid that I do not fully understand from your description what is wrong. Can I ask some questions –

'I have a problem with focusing at infinity or in any case at distances of a few meters'

So you try and autofocus at an object 2m away or on the horizon. What happens?

In macro mode it all works from macro to infinity. OK that sounds good.

When Infinity set, your photos are not focussed at infinity?

Snap mode does not work? In what way is it not working?

In manual mode you cannot focus beyond a certain distance? You are saying that the focus no longer moves after a certain point? What are the distances it will move through until it stops? How are you focussing in manual mode?

Battery. How long is the camera lasting before the battery goes flat? Maybe it is long enough for a firmware update?

Firmware version. This should have no effect on focussing, imo. I have firmware version 1.51 and it works fine. I don't see any harm in updating it though, but it would be good to have a greater udnerstanding how focus is failing.

-- hide signature --

'I don't take photographs, I delete them.'
Tungsten Nordstein, 2909

Tungsten Nordstein's gear list:Tungsten Nordstein's gear list
Ricoh Caplio GX100 Ricoh GR Digital Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma dp2 Quattro Ricoh GR II +8 more
Pozz82

Tungsten Nordstein wrote:

Thanks! In both AF and MF it seems that the focus stops after about 1m while up to a few cm you can see the focus moving (this obviously with manual focus).

Yes, the switch in Macro mode unlocks the focus at distance

Yes

The pics are blurry

In manual mode you cannot focus beyond a certain distance? You are saying that the focus no longer moves after a certain point? What are the distances it will move through until it stops? How are you focussing in manual mode?

With manual focus the lens focuses only up to about 1m then freezes

Battery. How long is the camera lasting before the battery goes flat? Maybe it is long enough for a firmware update?

40/50 pics

Firmware version. This should have no effect on focussing, imo. I have firmware version 1.51 and it works fine. I don't see any harm in updating it though, but it would be good to have a greater udnerstanding how focus is failing.

Mine it's 1.16 firmware

Tungsten Nordstein
Tungsten Nordstein Senior Member • Posts: 2,372

Pozz82 wrote:

Tungsten Nordstein wrote:

Thanks! In both AF and MF it seems that the focus stops after about 1m while up to a few cm you can see the focus moving (this obviously with manual focus).

Yes, the switch in Macro mode unlocks the focus at distance

Yes

The pics are blurry

With manual focus the lens focuses only up to about 1m then freezes

40/50 pics

Mine it's 1.16 firmware

SNAP mode should be 2.5m. If it can't set that accurately I don't know what to think. Where do you think SNAP is focussed? Have you tried to work that out?

I wonder whether there's something stopping the lens moving properly. Could it have been dropped? Otherwise an electronics/CPU error.

To me it sounds like the camera is on the way South. I think you'll just have to enjoy it with macro set to on. Sorry I can't think of anything else.

-- hide signature --

'I don't take photographs, I delete them.'
Tungsten Nordstein, 2909

Tungsten Nordstein's gear list:Tungsten Nordstein's gear list
Ricoh Caplio GX100 Ricoh GR Digital Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma dp2 Quattro Ricoh GR II +8 more

After having read further in this thread it seems to me that the focusing is faulty.

My GX100, when I had one for a brief period, never acted like this. If bought on Ebay, you might be able to return it.

Contax TVS Digital Kyocera Finecam S5 Kyocera Finecam SL400R Ricoh Caplio 500SE Ricoh Caplio R3 +1 more
Pozz82

The strange thing is that sometimes the focus works well, the problem is not constant. So I don't think it's a mechanical problem but rather some kind of electronic error. I was also thinking about a possible energy problem, I don't know, maybe the battery being old is not constant in the current supply and maybe it causes this defect. I don't explain why it works in Macro.

Pozz82

In Macro mode it's slowly but lovely

Jpeg OOC, transferred with Fuji camera remote and Snapseed only for the flowers

Macro mode edit with Snapseed

Macro mode

Jpeg OOC

Mischa Bronstring Contributing Member • Posts: 777

The 2nd flower shot is very moody; I like it a lot!

Regards,

Mischa

Mischa Bronstring's gear list:Mischa Bronstring's gear list
Leica Digilux 2 Sigma DP2 Sigma DP1 Olympus XZ-1 Ricoh GR Digital IV +4 more

You may block the Phase Detection windows at the front of the camera with some colored tape or simply cover it with a finger so that the camera must use ccd-focusing only. That way you can find out however the PDAF possibly have gone bad andsometimes fail to focus correctly or not.

Pozz82

A praise to Ricoh support, who advised me to update the firmware and reset the camera. At the moment it seems that everything works correctly, we hope the problem will be solved!

Good that it got sorted. A good accessory is the auto lenscap Ricoh lc-1 which not cost much.

I hadnt planned buy a GX100/200 but do so anyway as a Sea & Sea Dx 1G (rebranded GX100) and a GX200 was together with a GRDi which I wanted. Listed as For parts, defect on Ebay. Not a lot of info about the cameras but according to the pictures the GX100/200 seems to be working but may have some smaller fault.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads