What is these fore?

Started Apr 1, 2020 | Discussions
Nikon3500guy
Nikon3500guy New Member • Posts: 23
What is these fore?

Hi

I found in an old box these two adapters ...
Are they still applicable - and is there any chance they fit on a Nikon D 3500 without ruining anything?

No 1:

Zeiss Ikon Stuttgart Teleskop 1,7x ?

No 2:

Vivitar automatic Tele converter 2x -3 ?

Nikon3500guy's gear list:Nikon3500guy's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P5100 Nikon D3500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-P 18-55mm F3.5-5.6G VR +1 more
Ching-Kuang Shene
Ching-Kuang Shene Veteran Member • Posts: 6,271
Re: What is these fore?

Nikon3500guy wrote:

Hi

I found in an old box these two adapters ...
Are they still applicable - and is there any chance they fit on a Nikon D 3500 without ruining anything?

No 1:

Zeiss Ikon Stuttgart Teleskop 1,7x ?

This one is for Contaflex 1 or 2.  The converter is clamped on the sides of Contaflex normal lens and is in the front of the lens.

No 2:

Vivitar automatic Tele converter 2x -3 ?

This one is for Nikon F lenses.  It is used between a Nikon F lens and a Nikon SLR body.

CK

Ching-Kuang Shene's gear list:Ching-Kuang Shene's gear list
Olympus D-600L Nikon D7100 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G +2 more
Nikon3500guy
OP Nikon3500guy New Member • Posts: 23

Hi CK.

Okay, thanks - and it will fit on my D3500 (without destroying anything)?

Nikon3500guy's gear list:Nikon3500guy's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P5100 Nikon D3500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-P 18-55mm F3.5-5.6G VR +1 more
Sittatunga Senior Member • Posts: 2,895

Nikon3500guy wrote:

Hi CK.

Okay, thanks - and it will fit on my D3500 (without destroying anything)?

It's a pre-AI fit teleconverter, so check the ring on the camera side of that ribbed chrome ring against one of your Nikkors. On an AI or later Nikkor you'll see an extension of the aperture ring, to the left of about the f/16 mark, overlapping the camera's bayonet and engaging with a little sprung tab that tells the camera what aperture is set. Pre-AI fit Nikkors often had a complete skirt there which could interfere with that tab.

If your teleconverter has such a skirt, (and it stops you mounting the lens on your camera) you can file a tab-sized slot in it, using your lens as a template.  That won't damage it, but should make it usable with your camera and pre series G lenses. Have fun.

John Michael Winterbourne
John Michael Winterbourne Veteran Member • Posts: 3,174

There's no need for anything like that on a D3500, no damage can occur if the teleconverter is attached correctly, the D3*00 series don't have an AI linking tab.

It will, however, not be compatible with any AF-S or AF-P lenses, as the aperture would be at it's smallest (highest number) and the view through the viewfinder would be very dark.  All the other auto-functions would also be out of action, the camera would have to be set to full Manual mode, and manual focus would not be much fun and shutter speeds would probably be very slow.

It might work a bit better with a lens with on-lens aperture control, such as AF-D or the older manual focus lenses, but if OP doesn't already have one I doubt it would be worth buying one.

John Michael Winterbourne's gear list:John Michael Winterbourne's gear list
Olympus C-300 Zoom Fujifilm X100T Canon EOS 5D Nikon D70 Nikon D80 +39 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads