Smaug01
MOD Smaug01 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,552
COVID-19 Discussion Thread #4

Folks can't get enough!

Here are the first three threads:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63755573

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63761768

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63770121

After some experience in trying (and failing) to keep threads on topic (photo-related) I've had to lock several of them.

Some folks feel like we should be able to talk about it, even though it's not photography-related. (It is a huge world issue)

Others feel like they're sick of reading about it and want DPR to be a place where they don't have to think about.

It might be a good compromise to "quarantine" all COVID-19 discussions to this single thread. (or family of threads, in this case) That way, those who want to talk about it can talk about it here, and those who don't want to be bothered with it can just ignore this one thread.

The challenge will be to keep it civil. (Rule 6):

Be civil. Anyone being rude, abusive, calling names or generally trying to stir up trouble will not be tolerated. If you think someone is wrong it may be because they are new. Don't jump on them, think first. If you are repeatedly abusive you will be banned from these forums. Specific behavior that will not be tolerated and will result in post removal / banning includes:

• Bashing: Deliberately and repeatedly bashing the same brand, product orcompany. If you have a complaint or comment to make, make it once and make sure you have facts to support it.
  • Flaming: Insulting, abusive, malicious, personal attacks.
  • Trolling: Deliberately antagonizing other forum users by posting 'flame bait.'
  • Swearing: Using profanity (or changing characters to bypass our profanity filters)

Please report posts (use the 'Complain' button at the bottom) that violate this to help us moderate it as needed.

If it goes badly and folks just can't be civil about it, we'll need to lock it and be super-firm to Rule 8. (Stay on Topic)

To start, here are some threads that were locked, which had a lot of good discussion, but went too far off topic or got uncivil:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63750301

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63748995

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63745836

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63737713

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63734944

Don't let me down, guys and gals!

-- hide signature --

-Jeremy
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."

Smaug01's gear list:Smaug01's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS30 Olympus OM-D E-M10 III Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D +28 more
HRC2016 Senior Member • Posts: 5,484
About masks

I wonder if people who are wearing masks while out and about are doing it so that no one tries to speak with them.

There's a lot of information out there that explains wearing a regular surgical-type (non N95) mask does not protect you from coronavirus.

I read some website/blog where a photographer was talking about wearing an N95 when he was out and about. Not smart.

-- hide signature --

I believe in science, evolution and light. All opinions are my own. I'm not compensated for any of my posts. Can you honestly say that?

HRC2016's gear list:HRC2016's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +2 more
Smaug01
OP MOD Smaug01 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,552
Re: COVID-19 Discussion Thread #4

HRC2016 wrote:

I wonder if people who are wearing masks while out and about are doing it so that no one tries to speak with them.

There's a lot of information out there that explains wearing a regular surgical-type (non N95)mask does not protect you from coronavirus.

I've read that there is no point in wearing a mask unless it is YOU who is sick. It keeps an infected person from spewing the micro-droplets when coughing, sneezing, etc.

You probably noticed that in Japan, when a person has a cold or something, they wear a mask as a consideration to others. Same idea.

-- hide signature --

-Jeremy

Pentax MX-1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS30 Olympus OM-D E-M10 III Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D +28 more

Smaug01 wrote:

HRC2016 wrote:

There's a lot of information out there that explains wearing a regular surgical-type (non N95)mask does not protect you from coronavirus.

I've read that there is no point in wearing a mask unless it is YOU who is sick. It keeps an infected person from spewing the micro-droplets when coughing, sneezing, etc.

You probably noticed that in Japan, when a person has a cold or something, they wear a mask as a consideration to others. Same idea.

Right, but if the person wearing the mask isn't coughing, sneezing or has any other apparent symptoms ...

And if a person is sick then they shouldn't be out in public if they can help it.

I view it like I do smoking/vaping: a visible indicator of common sense.

Or maybe they're on their way to a bank robbery?

-- hide signature --

I believe in science, evolution and light. All opinions are my own. I'm not compensated for any of my posts. Can you honestly say that?

Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +2 more
pforsell
pforsell Senior Member • Posts: 2,572
Japan and Korea numbers ...

In Japan and Korea people avoid handshakes and cheek kisses, unlike in many western and southern European countries. Could this difference in habits explain some of the lower numbers in otherwise very densely populated countries?

-- hide signature --

Peter

pforsell's gear list:pforsell's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D2X Nikon D3X Nikon D3S Nikon D4S +22 more
mamallama
mamallama Forum Pro • Posts: 57,180
Re: About masks

HRC2016 wrote:

There's a lot of information out there that explains wearing a regular surgical-type (non N95) mask does not protect you from coronavirus.

I read some website/blog where a photographer was talking about wearing an N95 when he was out and about. Not smart.

Wearing a mask is smart for at least two reasons.

1. You can have coronavirus, be asymptomatic and still spread the disease.

2. Wearing a mask discourages the wearer from touching their face with their hands which has been touching many surfaces.

mamallama's gear list:mamallama's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +1 more
tacogeoff
tacogeoff Regular Member • Posts: 107

mamallama wrote:

HRC2016 wrote:

2. Wearing a mask discourages the wearer from touching their face with their hands which has been touching many surfaces.

good point. I have a beard and catch myself touching it all the time.

tacogeoff's gear list:tacogeoff's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm 50-230mm II Samyang 50mm F1.2
Steve_in_Texas
Steve_in_Texas Regular Member • Posts: 120

A while back I read the prevalence of masks on asia ladies was so men would not bother them out in public or on the bus.

Steve_in_Texas's gear list:Steve_in_Texas's gear list
Nikon D100 Nikon D200 Nikon D750 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +4 more
Antioch Senior Member • Posts: 2,248

HRC2016 wrote:

For some reason, the far east folks, were wearing masks even before this pandemic. They are used to it, and it seems, the far east the results seem better. It was announced that S. Korea, China, Taiwan, Singapore had it under control and all these countries, wear masks most of the time, as compared to us. Even now, I have seen only 2 wearing masks, in the past 2 months here.

The problem is the public is not trained in the proper fitting of masks, handling of masks, disposal of masks. The far east countries who wear the masks, probably have years of usage under their belt and it works for them, as their results show.

You can pick up the mask with contaminated hands.
You can contaminate the mask itself when you unpack it.
You have to dispose of the mask after 3 to 6 hours of use.
How do you dispose of the contaminated mask without contaminating yourself and thus others.
Your hands can be contaminated.
Your clothes/hair can be contaminated.
Publically available Masks cannot protect you against airborne pathogens.
Viruses are about 2 Nanometers.

Viruses are not airborne.

N95 masks may not work for common folks, as they have to be fitted properly.

Surgical masks stop everything except airborne pathogens, when used by Medical persons.

N95 Respirators with faceplate stop everything including airborne pathogens.
(There are two type Insulating and Filtering). This item is not available
to the Public, and used by Medical Personnel. Further they have to be
fitted, and have to be disposed after a few hours.

PhotoFactor Veteran Member • Posts: 3,353

mamallama wrote:

HRC2016 wrote:

Whenever I wear a mask I'm often adjusting it with my hands ore making sure the metal bridge over my nose is bent properly. So not sure it eliminates face touching for a lot of people.

PhotoFactor's gear list:PhotoFactor's gear list
Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Sony a6000 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +5 more

Steve_in_Texas wrote:

A while back I read the prevalence of masks on asia ladies was so men would not bother them out in public or on the bus.

This is what I'm saying!

A mask may help with face touching. But a person also needs glasses/goggles to avoid touching their eyes.

I haven't seen any reputable sources that say a non-95 mask will prevent coronavirus spread and protect health care workers or others from mist. In fact, everything I've seen says the opposite - only the N95 does (if properly fitted/worn).

-- hide signature --

Antioch wrote:

HRC2016 wrote:

For some reason, the far east folks, were wearing masks even before this pandemic. They are used to it, and it seems, the far east the results seem better. It was announced that S. Korea, China, Taiwan, Singapore had it under control and all these countries, wear masks most of the time, as compared to us. Even now, I have seen only 2 wearing masks, in the past 2 months here.

The problem is the public is not trained in the proper fitting of masks, handling of masks, disposal of masks. The far east countries who wear the masks, probably have years of usage under their belt and it works for them, as their results show.

How do you dispose of the contaminated mask without contaminating yourself and thus others.

Surgical masks stop everything except airborne pathogens, when used by Medical persons.

I have seen a lot of pictures and people in Asian countries wearing surgical masks, but I've never seen anyone wearing an N95! They are usually wearing plain surgical-type face masks. Those masks are not the reason for those countries successes in curbing this pandemic. There are many variables.

I agree, N95 require training to put on and use. At this time there is no reason for the public to wear n95 for protection - it just diverts those masks from health care professionals who need them.

Viruses can become airborne through sneezes, coughs and speaking. If Corona viruses did not become airborne then there wouldn't be a social distancing component as part of protective measures.

-- hide signature --

Smaug01
OP MOD Smaug01 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,552

HRC2016 wrote:

Antioch wrote:

HRC2016 wrote:

I have seen a lot of pictures and people in Asian countries wearing surgical masks, but I've never seen anyone wearing an N95! They are usually wearing plain surgical-type face masks. Those masks are not the reason for those countries successes in curbing this pandemic. There are many variables.

I agree, N95 require training to put on and use. At this time there is no reason for the public to wear n95 for protection - it just diverts those masks from health care professionals who need them.

Viruses can become airborne through sneezes, coughs and speaking. If Corona viruses did not become airborne then there wouldn't be a social distancing component as part of protective measures.

Again, if the mask is worn by the infected one, it would keep droplets from being shot out far into the air when the wearer coughs.

It doesn't need to be biohazard  grade to have a big effect. (even if it is not 100%)

-- hide signature --

-Jeremy

Brev00
Brev00 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,078

mamallama wrote:

HRC2016 wrote:

If you have a mask, do what you want. But, new masks need to go to healthcare workers so consumers who show no symptoms should be discouraged from buying them. If you have symptoms, you should be quarantined so don't need them.

Also, one can control how often one touches one's face. It is not an autonomic activity like breathing. Be conscious. Choose to not touch one's face and follow through.

If you have a lot of masks, donate them to healthcare workers (a la Grey's Anatomy). They are not needed by people who are healthy. Keep your distance.

Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D610 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Tamron SP AF 180mm F/3.5 Di LD (IF) Macro +5 more
TN Args
TN Args Veteran Member • Posts: 9,059
Earth is insignificant, I'm told

Smaug01 wrote:

TN Args wrote:

Antioch wrote:

EOS GUY wrote:

You mean pollution, destroying the environment etc?

I hope so.

If humans destroyed all the bacteria and viruses, all life will end in a few months.

If humans destroyed all the bees, all life will end maybe in two years.

If all humans were destroyed, then the earth will flourish like never before.

It will never flourish again like it was flourishing 15,000 years ago.

We made sure of that.

Once we have made ourselves extinct, earth will once again flourish. We have been around thousands or maybe tens of thousands of years. In the history of earth, we are just a flash in the pan.

Dinosaurs, whose passing we all mourn as kids, were around hundreds of millions of years. We won't live up to that. We're too "smart" for our own good.

Then, from the perspective of our universe, or even just our one little galaxy, what happens on earth is pretty insignificant. We cannot wreck earth. How arrogant of us to think we have that power!? We can only blight it for a relatively short period of time. Then, it will recover and continue on its merry way.

That's exactly the sort of amoral argument that gets used to justify destroying, today, the planet and all things that sensitive people hold sacred, including human life and quality of life. I hope you didn't realize where you were heading.

TN Args's gear list:TN Args's gear list
Sigma dp0 Quattro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +7 more
Antioch Senior Member • Posts: 2,248

HRC2016 wrote:

Antioch wrote:

HRC2016 wrote:

I agree viruses can become airborne through sneezes etc, and can be made airborne by other means as well. My point, which obviously I did not clearly elaborate, if that Viruses are generally in a natural state not Airborne pathogens. If it were, entire planet will be effected.

Due to the incorrect use of the mask, you can still get the virus, mostly by contact from hands, which then spreads it to the mask, clothes, hair, nostrils even after using a mask. After removing the mask, you still have to clean your hands, your clothes, and have shower and sterilize your shoes as well. So if all this was not done, you are at risk.

So, that being the case, they would rightfully say, that the mask does not work, even though the problem was the other issues.

By the way, originally, the mask was introduced for Construction workers and for the medical community and later hazmat and space as well.

mamallama
mamallama Forum Pro • Posts: 57,180

HRC2016 wrote:

Steve_in_Texas wrote:

This is what I'm saying!

A mask may help with face touching. But a person also needs glasses/goggles to avoid touching their eyes.

I haven't seen any reputable sources that say a non-95 mask will prevent coronavirus spread and protect health care workers or others from mist. In fact, everything I've seen says the opposite - only the N95 does (if properly fitted/worn).

So surgical masks are useless? Source please?

mamallama's gear list:mamallama's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +1 more
Steve_in_Texas
Steve_in_Texas Regular Member • Posts: 120

the simple mask info is colored ones protect the wearer, white ones protect those the wearer comes into contact with

but in both cases , not much protection

better than nothing !

Steve_in_Texas's gear list:Steve_in_Texas's gear list
Nikon D100 Nikon D200 Nikon D750 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +4 more
alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 12,636

HRC2016 wrote:

Smaug01 wrote:

HRC2016 wrote:

Right, but if the person wearing the mask isn't coughing, sneezing or has any other apparent symptoms ...

And if a person is sick then they shouldn't be out in public if they can help it.

I view it like I do smoking/vaping: a visible indicator of common sense.

Or maybe they're on their way to a bank robbery?

Have emphasised so many times, when a surgical class face mask can keep virus not spreading out from an infected person, we as a healthy person could be under similar protection from reducing chances of inhaling in the virus. Just as simple as that.

It is well documented (not recognised by WHO or some others yet), virus can be spreaded by asymptomatic virus carrier. If a virus carrier coughs or sneezes in street without your attention, if you walk into it right afterwards a mask can keep you safe.

Of course, proper wearing, use a qualified surgical class of mask instead of a thin piece of paper mask or those for hay fever only, and also the distance from a virus carrier as well as the concentration of virus we are exposed to etc are also the basic factors determining the risk.

N95 grade, or some less protective grade but better than surgical class of mask are of course the best. But these should be reserved for medical professionals who would have to deal with high risk situation only.

If we can take all sensible measures, a qualified surgical face mask should be viewed as an added protection especially we are in a street, inside underground train, public bus, office, shops or elevator etc where close contact is unavoidable.

If it can be a generally accepted concept by the public that no mask means higher risk, less people will dare to continue their normal daily life without a mask, or will limit their activity if they have a limited stock of mask. The result, more voluntarily isolation = lower risk of transmission.

Self awareness is always more effective than loosely enforced regulatory requirements while many still weight Covid19 a seasonal common flu.

This isn't rocket science and its effectiveness should have been proven in Asian countries/regions.

In China, it had contained the outbreak (after a long hard battle because of their late response). Wearing a mask in the public has been legally enforced (please if doing so the law enforcement units should well protect themselves. On earlier TV news footage police in the street check points did not wear any mask! Oh if they met a virus carrier, there will just be more new virus carriers back o their station/home).

In Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan, people learnt from 2003 SARS so a sea of mask appeared voluntarily in the public once when the outbreak was reported. After cornered the few early imported cases, and found out and cut the local transmission routes, if not returning of tenths thousand of overseas studying students recently the local transmission should have been well contained 2 weeks ago.

It proved hat despite the weak protection offered by a humble, cheap surgical mask, it works.

I understand that if general public does not have enough stock of mask on household level (I have a regular inventory of 10 N95 and min a box of 50 surgical mask at home anytime from the 2003 SARS experience), and if the authorities also have not enough stock for themselves, public panic buy could just jeopardise the supply for medical personel who should have priority need. Not difficult o figure out the real meaning behind the sort of education.

I just have a very early written up here on DPR that under the current integration of Chinese business worldwide, plus Chinese travellers become the main source of international tourist, spreading of any infectious disease could be much faster and more severe than SARS in 2003. I urged members to start stocking reasonable minimum quantity of mask as well as other key disinfectant products and daily necessities when you still can back in February. If authorities can also starting preparation to deal with this virus, their advices might be difference from today.

In Hong Kong, >7.5 million people scrambled in a tiny piece of land, most streets are as crowded as peak summer hours of Oxford street in London. Underground or double deck buses are the major mean of transportation that are crowded as tin of sardine fish most of the time, people usually lives in small multi story apartment buildings with very close approximaty, we still saw only a few new cases everyday (before influx of retuning overseas studying students) instead of hundreds to thousand or even tenth thousand per day as currently in the west...

It is a chicken and egg issue. If everybody will wear a mask, the daily infection growth could be cut. Less pressure on medical service could mean earlier id of infected cases for isolation (a step not taken in UK) that can cut the spread. Earlier hospitalisation could also means less death. Just a cycle on how we deal with it and when we deal with it.

No activity is the best. But could it be strictly enforced? Why not let (educate) people know the risk of not wearing a mask. It can keep the public put on certain basic minimum protection if they really have to go out, or reduce their outgoing under shortage of mask. It could cut down a lot of risk already. When we are told mask is unnecessary (or actually means medical staff need it more, so sacrifice yourselves please?), it just tears down the minium public defense. It is not ideal for highly infectious virus and when 1 virus carrier escape from the radar into the community, transmission will get out of control very quickly.

Wearing mask in fact can protect others and you. Can't understand why an Asian wearing a mask in the public this period of time would be discriminated in the West?

Take care.

-- hide signature --

Albert

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +10 more
alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 12,636
+1

mamallama wrote:

HRC2016 wrote:

Also:

3. can reduce a lot of accidental inhaling in of the virus by accident among crowded places (depending on the distance from the source of virus, the concentration of virus we are exposed etc),

4. while every people get the message across: no mask = higher risk (true or just a matter of comfort), the voluntarily self isolation by self awareness could be more effective than any loosely enforced regulatory requirement under the current shortage of mask,

... a lot can be carried on.

Hence, as there is only benefit of wearing a mask, why not doing it (save for the reason of not able to get one).

🤔😣😕😌😷

-- hide signature --

Albert

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads