Drone NOT made in China available?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Belgarchi Senior Member • Posts: 2,181
Re: Drone NOT made in China available?

ContaxRTSII wrote:

Wondering if I can find drone brand name NOT made in China? If not, I would prefer to delay this new hobby that I'm about to start.

I'm willing to pay premium even it exists.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

What's your problem with China? Quality of Chinese products is better and better, and Chinese engineers and workers need to work and have their products appreciated like everybody.

After trying a few Saturn and Ford, and escaping death in a Boeing B-737 MAX, I am more prejudiced against American products.

Belgarchi's gear list:Belgarchi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Leica D-Lux 7 Olympus PEN-F Pentax KP Olympus OM-D E-M10 III +95 more
vegasdood
vegasdood Contributing Member • Posts: 570

For me, quality is not the issue.  It is that China is harvesting all data log files for all files.  Where I would fly it is not top secret, but, similar to the all the internet bots that China perpetuates, prudence about every aspect of my life needs to be managed.  Thus, I would feel more comfortable with a USA company databasing the analytics of my flights.

-- hide signature --

vegasdood's gear list:vegasdood's gear list
Olympus TG-6 Sony a7R II Sony a7R IV GoPro Hero9 Black Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +12 more
Terry K1
Terry K1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,332

DJI is going to be hard to beat.

Terry K1's gear list:Terry K1's gear list
Pentax KP Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) Pentax smc DA* 200mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +15 more
JRP64
JRP64 Contributing Member • Posts: 973

vegasdood wrote:

For me, quality is not the issue. It is that China is harvesting all data log files for all files. Where I would fly it is not top secret, but, similar to the all the internet bots that China perpetuates, prudence about every aspect of my life needs to be managed. Thus, I would feel more comfortable with a USA company databasing the analytics of my flights.

That's just paranoa the people in Washington are selling and it's only going to get worse with the feud the current administration is having with China. Here's a good link that debunks this https://youtu.be/pRp5JC93A-k  I have also did a little checking on DJI and they have a plant (or will have) in California that will be manufacturing drones here in the USA. https://www.zdnet.com/article/dji-unveils-plans-to-start-assembling-drones-in-us-amid-security-concerns/

JRP64's gear list:JRP64's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +5 more
junk1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,706

They could start collecting at any time, and/or only collect if the drone is near something of their interest.  I'm not as worried about that, more worried about jobs - do we want our kids to need to move to China to find a job?

And don't fool yourself, when their military is stronger than ours, we are screwed in various ways.

OP ContaxRTSII Contributing Member • Posts: 579

That's my point!!

ContaxRTSII's gear list:ContaxRTSII's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D500 Sony a9 Nikon Z7
23 fotos
23 fotos Regular Member • Posts: 128

ContaxRTSII wrote:

Wondering if I can find drone brand name NOT made in China? If not, I would prefer to delay this new hobby that I'm about to start.

I'm willing to pay premium even it exists.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Literally thousands of DJIs flying in USA. They are by far the best range and best quality for the price point. Just get a Mavic 2 Pro or Air 2 and fly. I would suggest waiting for a year or so until the rest of the world catches up (assuming they do).

-- hide signature --

www.stewartweir.com
www.instagram.com/stewartweir

junk1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,706

Skidio (USA - MIT grads) is only choice I think if buying new....Parrot (French) was pretty good and ought to find one used cheap.

aSevenArr
aSevenArr Senior Member • Posts: 2,263

Terry K1 wrote:

Not only that but just about every component inside any drone is going to be made in China anyway.

Perhaps the OP really means assembled in the USA

aSevenArr's gear list:aSevenArr's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Sony a7R Sony a9 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +13 more
The Aussie Viking
The Aussie Viking Senior Member • Posts: 1,488

aSevenArr wrote:

Terry K1 wrote:

Not only that but just about every component inside any drone is going to be made in China anyway.

The Parrot Anafi is currently French made, but looks like a deal with US Military will be getting them made stateside. And they are a nice drone.

-- hide signature --
 The Aussie Viking's gear list:The Aussie Viking's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +28 more
aSevenArr

The Aussie Viking wrote:

aSevenArr wrote:

Terry K1 wrote:

The Parrot Anafi is currently French made, but looks like a deal with US Military will be getting them made stateside. And they are a nice drone.

Take a peek at the electronics inside... I'd be very very surprised if it isn't just "assembled in France".

Everything electronic has Chinese made bits these days. We dropped the ball on that one years ago.

vyoufinder
vyoufinder Senior Member • Posts: 1,660

aSevenArr wrote:

The Aussie Viking wrote:

aSevenArr wrote:

Terry K1 wrote:

Take a peek at the electronics inside... I'd be very very surprised if it isn't just "assembled in France".

Everything electronic has Chinese made bits these days. We dropped the ball on that one years ago.

Parrot isn't "assembled in France," nor ""made in France."  It is made in China or Taiwan.  It was "designed" in France, which, as far as I can tell means the design team took a trip to France while designing the drone or part of it.

-- hide signature --

Your focus is your reality

vyoufinder's gear list:vyoufinder's gear list
Sony a7S Sony a7S II Sony a7S III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +236 more
aSevenArr

vyoufinder wrote:

aSevenArr wrote:

The Aussie Viking wrote:

aSevenArr wrote:

Terry K1 wrote:

Parrot isn't "assembled in France," nor ""made in France." It is made in China or Taiwan. It was "designed" in France, which, as far as I can tell means the design team took a trip to France while designing the drone or part of it.

Exactly. Not at all surprised.

Dericali Regular Member • Posts: 201

Slightly off on a tangent here, but it's impressive to me that DJI have managed to so thoroughly dominate the prosumer drone market. For example, if you want to buy a drone for decent quality video, your best bets are basically the Mavic 2 Pro or the Phantom 4 Pro V2.0. These models are both long in the teeth, but still selling well. I can't think of any comparative industry where one brand has managed to dominate a consumer segment like this unopposed for so many years.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads