* The Weekly Image Thread 20 03 25 #415 *

Started 1 week ago | Photos
19andrew47
19andrew47 Forum Pro • Posts: 34,935
* The Weekly Image Thread 20 03 25 #415 *

Welcome to The Weekly Image Thread

This thread will appear every Saturday (GMT) and is open for submissions and discussions about images and processing techniques until the next Saturday, or the new thread is started. If the thread is nearing full before the next Saturday, I may start a new thread and carry on until it fills or the next Saturday arrives and it is reasonably full in which case I will start another. Confused, so am I! From time to time the start could be delayed if I am unavailable.

Although this Weekly thread is in the Olympus SLR forum, we openly welcome users of all brands and models.

Please:

1. Reply to this post and change the TITLE!
  2. Please reply to at least one other contribution, your replies encourage posters!!!
  3. If asked, please share your processing techniques or technical details.
  4. Please show the EXIF if possible. Please identify the lens used regardless of which camera was used to take the image. This helps people form opinions of the lens used with the body to possibly influence future acquisitions.
  5. If special lighting was used to create your image stating what was done may help others.

Thanks for joining and contributing this week.

Andrew (19andrew47)

Formerly: The Weekly OMD & 4/3 DSLR Images

19andrew47
OP 19andrew47 Forum Pro • Posts: 34,935
34 Dodge Four Door Sedan

Shot at the Cayuga Car Show a couple of years back.  Processed yesterday for the first time.  (I have many other cars from shows that I have never processed and you may see more of these.)

We have some miniature irises that opened this morning so I may have a go at them but they are not great subjects as they are very difficult to get a decent image of being only a couple of inches off the ground.  Not sure I am prepared to lay on the flag stone pathway in front of them to try WN's approach!

Andrew

WhyNot
WhyNot Veteran Member • Posts: 8,676
Laughter

I just posted this in C&C but given how we seem to divide in tribes in this village I thought I'd share the laughter here

I hink we all need to have a good laugh today  ....

WhyNot

softmarmotte
softmarmotte Regular Member • Posts: 393
Getting closer and closer to home

I am really happy with my Pana 100-300. the only Pana lens I have, in fact

kind of Japanese art feel ?

cropped

softmarmotte's gear list:softmarmotte's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D5500 Olympus E-M1 II Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +10 more
WhyNot
Re: Getting closer and closer to home

That is a very useful lens. I have one and will be taking similar pictures of finches, chickadees, and titmice as I sit in the yard for the next few months, I suspect … nice pictures. ….

WhyNot

WhyNot
Re: 34 Dodge Four Door Sedan

Another great auto picture, Andrew ... I really think you should try getting down to that iris ... there a lot to be said for (or maybe about) the bug eye view of the world ...

WhyNot

Rich Z
Rich Z Forum Pro • Posts: 10,735

The colorful little bird is nice against the blue and adequately sharp.

I have that lens.  It is excellent, small, light and handy and fits in my small bag.  Just recently I made pix of seals at great distance.  I used two lenses, The Panny 100-300 and my ZD 150mm f/2 with the EC 20 to get 300mm.  It really annoyed me that the pix from The Panny were as good as the ones from very expensive ZD 150.  It doesn't annoy me when I carry the Panny in my bag.  It's like a feather.  Rich

Rich Z

That's a great picture and great PP, Andrew.  The Dodge even looks good all perverted and down low to the ground.  Dodge and Ford used almost identical grilles.  I always wondered who copied.

I have a plastic milk crate with a very thick, HD sleeping bag in it for belly shots.  I keep it in the boot of my car.  I put the bag on the ground to make a soft place to lie for my knees and I have the crate to help me get down and especially back up.  I haven't used it for years.

WhyNot is likely one of those skinny old men with good knees.  Bless his heart.  People who brag get warts.    Steve Keys was also a skinny old man with good knees.  He couldn't have weighed 135 pounds and would levitate to the ground at 73 years of age.  The first time I saw him do that I got annoyed and almost kicked him while he was down.  I told him that and he laughed heartily and did it again, but using only one leg.     Rich

Rich Z
Re: Laughter

That's a great picture, WhyNot.  She has an expressive face.  Rich

softmarmotte
softmarmotte Regular Member • Posts: 393

It's actually the reason I have mft kit. I had a Nikon APS and was looking for a 600mm for birds - specifically puffins and the like in Maine for my Summer holidays this year (haha). i tried the Sigma 150-600 and immediately thought how ridiculously heavy and large it was. There was absolutely no way I would use that ...ever.... The guy in the shop pointed me at Olympus for the size and weight of the kit as well as the quality. So happy he did otherwise I would never have thought of it. Best (photo) decision I ever made

Rich Z wrote:

The colorful little bird is nice against the blue and adequately sharp.

I have that lens. It is excellent, small, light and handy and fits in my small bag. Just recently I made pix of seals at great distance. I used two lenses, The Panny 100-300 and my ZD 150mm f/2 with the EC 20 to get 300mm. It really annoyed me that the pix from The Panny were as good as the ones from very expensive ZD 150. It doesn't annoy me when I carry the Panny in my bag. It's like a feather. Rich

softmarmotte's gear list:softmarmotte's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D5500 Olympus E-M1 II Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +10 more
Rich Z
Assorted and Unsifted

Here's group of pix which didn't fit into previous posts.  They do not belong together.

In front of a vacant house in Eureka.  I liked the pink.

Groucho and Chico looking at a map in "The Cocoaonuts."

Groucho: "That's a viaduct leading to the mainland.

Chico:  " Whyaduck?

Groucho:  "The viaduct crosses between the levees."

Chico:  "It must be a Jewish neighborhood."

-- hide signature --

Sorry, I think it's funny.  Blame it on the (not) duck.

At the mouth of Humboldt Bay.  The tracks are, one human, one dog, a bunch of raccoons, and something I wonder about on the left.

The Coast Guard doing fog training.

I caught the egret just as it saw me and tried to ruin my pic.

I caught this egret in mid fluff.

Making sunset pix on Trinidad Bay.  I tried one through the trees.

An expensive RV park on Eureka Slough, just a short walk from home.  I liked the Smartie facing off the monster.  I also thought of Dave as he would feel at home beneath this sky.  Then, I realized he would not feel at home if he saw all the vehicles designed to be driven on the proper side of the road.

At the Harley shop on Eureka Slough.  This might be it for Harley Davidson.  Tarriffs, poor design and quality control, plus their customer base is dying of old age.  Their CEO just quit.  This one has a 1900cc engine which weighs as much as the 1800cc engine in my KIA but makes less HP.  It's not good for going around corners with all that cast iron up high.

The engine does make ungodly amounts of torque and will spin that meaty tire.  Lots of torque is great for tractors, not so useful in motorcycles.  It does make shifting gears unnecessary.

That's all.  Rich

19andrew47

There is little doubt about the 'tribes' observation WN, as those that post there regularly do not post here, other than yourself, but that is recent.  Most that post here I think do it in a social sense coupled with the fact it is interesting to see images from around the globe and to converse with the posters.  I am not sure anyone is looking for critique, again, other than yourself.  I don't mind critique but am not actively seeking it.  The act of giving critique is tiresome for me.  I lose interest quickly as I find it too much like work!  I hosted that thread for a few years and had lost the desire to continue.  I still visit it most weeks but do not comment much any more and even more rarely post an image.

When I looked at your image the first thing that I saw was not the laughter but the hands of the woman on the right side.  Her response was more eye catching for me than the one with the dropped jaw.  I think I am feeling depressed from being 'locked up'!

Andrew

19andrew47

Thanks WN.

I did go out and shoot the iris.  I don't generally do well with clumps of flowers.  This was no exception.  I will post the results a bit later.

Andrew

19andrew47

Thanks Rich.  I have lots more if I ever work on them.

Getting down on regular grass is not too bad but the flagstone pathway was not fun!

I miss Steve and wonder what has become of he and his daughter.  People just don't drop off the face of the earth without a good reason, or a bad reason I am afraid.

Andrew

19andrew47

Good feather detail in the second. No idea of the type of bird. It looks like a cross of our black capped chickadee and American goldfinch.

I have no native m4/3 lenses that go beyond 150 mm.  At some point in time I may get one but it is a focal length I rarely use so there is no pressing need for me.  I do have the Panasonic 20 mm f/1.7.  A sharp lens but not one I would recommend for use on an Olympus body as it produces banding in low light on Olympus bodies and that is when I need to use it, in low light!

Andrew

19andrew47
Re: Assorted and Unsifted

Lots of colour in that first Rich.  It will be quite a while before we get there here in Canada's south coast.

As to the quote, simpler times when you could say something like that and not be branded.

I like the duck.  No idea of the variety but an attractive looking bird, and it is not a CG!

Looks like three people fishing at the edge of the surf.  What would they catch?

I like the egrets and the sunset.  I am guessing they two the Smart for two behind the giant diesel pusher.

Well the Harley does look like a fine ride but I no longer feel drawn to riding one, or any other two wheeled contraption for that matter.

If Harley disappears their value will likely increase for a while, like antiques.  Not much market for antiques any more.  Their value is declining as the youth of the world sees no value in them.  When we go to antique markets any more the customers are mostly old people with very few young ones present.

Andrew

Craig from Nevada
Craig from Nevada Veteran Member • Posts: 6,596

Beautiful, Andrew.

19andrew47 wrote:

Shot at the Cayuga Car Show a couple of years back. Processed yesterday for the first time. (I have many other cars from shows that I have never processed and you may see more of these.)

We have some miniature irises that opened this morning so I may have a go at them but they are not great subjects as they are very difficult to get a decent image of being only a couple of inches off the ground. Not sure I am prepared to lay on the flag stone pathway in front of them to try WN's approach!

Andrew

Craig from Nevada's gear list:Craig from Nevada's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 Fujifilm X-T1 +25 more
Craig from Nevada

A great candid shot.  I think the woman using the hands to express herself really adds to the image.

Yes, we could all use a lift today.

WhyNot wrote:

I just posted this in C&C but given how we seem to divide in tribes in this village I thought I'd share the laughter here

I hink we all need to have a good laugh today ....

WhyNot

Olympus Tough TG-4 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 Fujifilm X-T1 +25 more
Craig from Nevada
Re: Assorted and Unsifted

A great post with some fine and diverse photos and some great humour from the Marx Bros.

Love the sunset from the February 29.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads