Any rumors on the horizon about an m43 lens longer than 400mm?

Started 1 week ago | Discussions
Alex Ethridge
Alex Ethridge Veteran Member • Posts: 4,873
Any rumors on the horizon about an m43 lens longer than 400mm?

Reason I'm asking is I owned the 100-400mm 4.0-6.3 for two years and I found it just barely long enough for some of what I do and as soon as the sun touched the horizon or dropped half-way below the surrounding trees in the ball park, not fast enough. Just an extra half stop (f/5.6) on the long end might have helped.

In other words, the lens was just borderline for me at the long end both in focal length and brightness.

I sold it this last December.

Alex Ethridge's gear list:Alex Ethridge's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic GH5 Sony a7 III Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +10 more
Skeeterbytes Forum Pro • Posts: 17,441
Re: Any rumors on the horizon about an m43 lens longer than 400mm?

Alex Ethridge wrote:

Reason I'm asking is I owned the 100-400mm 4.0-6.3 for two years and I found it just barely long enough for some of what I do and as soon as the sun touched the horizon or dropped half-way below the surrounding trees in the ball park, not fast enough. f/5.6 on the long end would have helped a lot.

Welllll, the 150-400 with its built-in 1.2x TC will be a native 500mm lens. An expensive path to achieve that gaudy reach, but a legit one (presuming typical Pro tele quality).

The 300 Pro transforms to 420 and 600mm with the two MCs. It's a little slow, however, at 600/8. Dual-IS helps its usefulness when handholding.

A native 500/5.6 would sell like hotcakes. Oly and Panny both have the ability to make such a beast, and Sigma could jump in any old time as far as I'm concerned.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

Equivalence and diffraction-free since 2009.
You can be too; ask about our 12-step program.

MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 39,731

Alex Ethridge wrote:

Reason I'm asking is I owned the 100-400mm 4.0-6.3 for two years and I found it just barely long enough for some of what I do and as soon as the sun touched the horizon or dropped half-way below the surrounding trees in the ball park, not fast enough. Just an extra half stop (f/5.6) on the long end might have helped.

In other words, the lens was just borderline for me at the long end both in focal length and brightness.

Amazing.  Such a long reach is unbelievable in FF land.  Such a lens would need to be mounted on a tracked body to move it.

It can only be good in cool climates as anything that long would have serious atmospheric haze issues in hotter climates.  Even the existing Super long lenses must struggle - maybe for shorter distance targets the haze would not be so destroying.

Maybe someone might be game to make one - even if almost unique 1200mm lenses of quality can be had for FF bodies.  Might have to sell a house to buy one and once owned have some high paying clients to justify it.

But I suppose there will be lenses where a TC can give extra reach for those that really need it bad enough  

I leave myself open to being surprised ....

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Harold66
Harold66 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,121

Skeeterbytes wrote:

Alex Ethridge wrote:

Reason I'm asking is I owned the 100-400mm 4.0-6.3 for two years and I found it just barely long enough for some of what I do and as soon as the sun touched the horizon or dropped half-way below the surrounding trees in the ball park, not fast enough. f/5.6 on the long end would have helped a lot.

Welllll, the 150-400 with its built-in 1.2x TC will be a native 500mm lens. An expensive path to achieve that gaudy reach, but a legit one (presuming typical Pro tele quality).

The 300 Pro transforms to 420 and 600mm with the two MCs. It's a little slow, however, at 600/8. Dual-IS helps its usefulness when handholding.

A native 500/5.6 would sell like hotcakes.

I hardly doubt that . the number of people who would buy such a lens must be really really small

Oly and Panny both have the ability to make such a beast, and Sigma could jump in any old time as far as I'm concerned.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

FOLLOW me on IG @ledaylightstudio.
thedemandingtraveler.org
www.haroldglit.com
IG :thedemandingtraveler

Harold66's gear list:Harold66's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GR II Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +8 more
Messier Object Veteran Member • Posts: 8,981

Skeeterbytes wrote:

Alex Ethridge wrote:

A native 500/5.6 would sell like hotcakes. Oly and Panny both have the ability to make such a beast, and Sigma could jump in any old time as far as I'm concerned.

Cheers,

Rick

What I don’t like about the 150-400mm F4 is that it will be very slow at the long end. 
150mm. . . 200mm F4  would not be very useful for my applications.

A 450mm F4  prime would be my choice as the ideal m.43 wildlife lens, especially for birders. I think that most of us who use a 300mm prime have a 1.4x attached most of the time anyway.   A 450mm F4 would be the new ‘big tuna’

Peter

Mark Ransom
Mark Ransom Veteran Member • Posts: 6,330

Skeeterbytes wrote:

Without dual IS such a long lens would be nearly impossible to hand hold.  That makes a Sigma a long shot.  However if you want such a lens today you can probably adapt one from a different mount.

Mark Ransom's gear list:Mark Ransom's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-01 Olympus E-M5 II Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +6 more
drj3 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,887

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Amazing. Such a long reach is unbelievable in FF land. Such a lens would need to be mounted on a tracked body to move it.

Weight, cost and the lack of autofocus with apertures smaller than f8 with DSLRs are the primary reasons they were not common with FF.

It can only be good in cool climates as anything that long would have serious atmospheric haze issues in hotter climates. Even the existing Super long lenses must struggle - maybe for shorter distance targets the haze would not be so destroying.

I leave my MC20 on the 300mm most of the time.  Its purpose is not to photograph things at a greater distance, but to use it at the same distances and minimize cropping.  I use it for small birds in trees, flying hummingbirds, and the .48X magnification makes it ideal for insects from a distance.  Getting closer is always better to avoid cropping, but that is not always possible.

Maybe someone might be game to make one - even if almost unique 1200mm lenses of quality can be had for FF bodies. Might have to sell a house to buy one and once owned have some high paying clients to justify it.

It already exists in a relatively inexpensive lens, you can use the Sony 200-600 with a 2X TC and use it as a FF 1200mm f13 lens or put it on a Sony APS crop sensor for an 1800mm f18 equivalent lens.

But I suppose there will be lenses where a TC can give extra reach for those that really need it bad enough

I leave myself open to being surprised ....

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II +9 more
nzmacro
nzmacro Forum Pro • Posts: 16,789
Come on over to the dark side

Manual focus and you can have any tele lens you want

Welcome to the dark side.

Danny.

-- hide signature --

I can always justify a need, but I can never justify a want.
-
https://www.birdsinaction.com/

Danielvr Veteran Member • Posts: 5,105
Yes, a 500mm should be in development as we speak

According to this 43Rumors post from last Summer:

Olympus says they are developing a new 500mm MFT lens!

No details about its brightness, but if they plan to make it compatible with the 2x teleconverter it can't be too slow.

The best >400mm images that I've seen in this forum have been taken with manual Canikon lenses or with (more affordable) refractor telescopes.

For some previous discussions on this topic see 1 and 2 .

Danielvr's gear list:Danielvr's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +2 more
Bisonbison
Bisonbison Regular Member • Posts: 337

Mark Ransom wrote:

Skeeterbytes wrote:

Without dual IS such a long lens would be nearly impossible to hand hold. That makes a Sigma a long shot. However if you want such a lens today you can probably adapt one from a different mount

A great non-mft candidate that can be adapted already exists. The Canon 400mm f4 DOii. Works well with TCs too. Wonder if anyone who has one, has tried it on an E-M1... It does cost almost $7000 though

Won’t a fast lens with the kind of compactness being wished for in this thread have to be a diffractive optic lens or a mirror lens? I can’t see a regular lens design being more compact than existing 300mm f4 or upcoming 150-400mm f4.5... anything brighter Will be heavier and bigger.

Len_Gee Veteran Member • Posts: 9,814

Alex Ethridge wrote:

A reliable source said an Olympus 450mm to 600mm f/5 Pro zoom is coming soon.

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Apple iPhone 6 Plus +3 more
Ravilo Forum Member • Posts: 55

There is room for a 400mm f4.5, or 500mm f5.6, or 600mm f6.7. These would have a 88-89mm aperture diameter (huge subject isolation), and shouldn't be too costly. Hopefully lens makers actually will realize our 2x crop factor is a great advantage for telephoto!

Harold66

Len_Gee wrote:

Alex Ethridge wrote:

we shall see. I doubt it

H

-- hide signature --

thedemandingtraveler.org
www.haroldglit.com

Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GR II Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +8 more
It is just a tool Regular Member • Posts: 107

Len_Gee wrote:

Alex Ethridge wrote:

Do you have a link to an article or something?

Messier Object Veteran Member • Posts: 8,981

Bisonbison wrote:

Mark Ransom wrote:

Skeeterbytes wrote:

Without dual IS such a long lens would be nearly impossible to hand hold. That makes a Sigma a long shot. However if you want such a lens today you can probably adapt one from a different mount

A great non-mft candidate that can be adapted already exists. The Canon 400mm f4 DOii. Works well with TCs too. Wonder if anyone who has one, has tried it on an E-M1... It does cost almost $7000 though

Won’t a fast lens with the kind of compactness being wished for in this thread have to be a diffractive optic lens or a mirror lens? I can’t see a regular lens design being more compact than existing 300mm f4 or upcoming 150-400mm f4.5... anything brighter Will be heavier and bigger.

I suggest that anyone fortunate enough to come by an EF400mm F4 DO II would be much better served by using it with a native Canon body. The 90D with its 32 Mp APS-C sensor has about the same pixel density as a 20Mp 4/3 sensor, and the AF performance will far exceed what you’d get using a m.43 adapter

Peter

Jouko Senior Member • Posts: 1,698

Messier Object wrote:

Skeeterbytes wrote:

Alex Ethridge wrote:

Cheers,

Rick

What I don’t like about the 150-400mm F4 is that it will be very slow at the long end.
150mm. . . 200mm F4 would not be very useful for my applications.

A 450mm F4 prime would be my choice as the ideal m.43 wildlife lens, especially for birders. I think that most of us who use a 300mm prime have a 1.4x attached most of the time anyway. A 450mm F4 would be the new ‘big tuna’

Peter

I think the Oly 150-400mm will be F4.5 all the way, and with the 1.25x  built-in converter it will be 187,5-500mm F5,6 lens. Add the MC14 or the MC20, if needed...

Weight is supposed to be around 2 kg, so handheldable, at least in theory. But try to catch that flying sparrow with a 500mm lens... I think the long end lens line will be about filled after this lens and the promised "cheapo" Oly 100-400 + PanaLeica 100-400. If Sigma and/or Tamron would join the group with the (60)-150-600 mm lenses, that would be nice for some wallets.

But, to be honest... we have an 800mm eqv. lens F6.3, 600mm eqv F4 and with couple of extenders longer high quality lenses already. All reasonable priced for the quality. In film days I had a cheap 400m lens and, after that the Zuiko 300mm F4.5 + TC14. And I was happy with that, and got some reasonable results too.

Just bought the 40-150mm F2.8 and the converters... Ending to 80-300mm F5.6 lightweight good quality travel setup. In low light using it without the converter... Or if I only need shorter lenghts.

Now waiting the time to be allowed to travel free again... Maybe later this year.

Cheers! And stay well!

Jouko
'The best camera in the world is the one you have with you when you need it'
https://www.instagram.com/jouko.k.lehto/
http://lehtokukka.smugmug.com/
http://jouko-lehto.artistwebsites.com/
https://joukolehto.blogspot.fi/ - Lenses for mFT-cameras
https://joukolehto.blogspot.fi/2015/12/what-to-dowith-camera-during-winter.html

Thomas Traub Contributing Member • Posts: 749

It's unbelievable what people mean to need ... there were times when a 28mm lens and a 50 mm lens and a 100 mm lens were high-professional ..... now we have 300 with TC 2.0 = 600 mm = 1.200 mm FF and that is not enough..

... more more more ... bigger bigger bigger .... faster faster faster .... more expensive more expensive more expensive ...... higher higher higher ...... that can not be the solution.....

-- hide signature --

with best regards from Vienna
Thomas T
If we photographers were taxi-drivers we all wanted a 450 HP Ferrari for our job

Thomas Traub's gear list:Thomas Traub's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro +7 more
Harold66

Thomas Traub wrote:

It's unbelievable what people mean to need ... there were times when a 28mm lens and a 50 mm lens and a 100 mm lens were high-professional ..... now we have 300 with TC 2.0 = 600 mm = 1.200 mm FF and that is not enough..

... more more more ... bigger bigger bigger .... faster faster faster .... more expensive more expensive more expensive ...... higher higher higher ...... that can not be the solution.....

yes you definitely have a point. I think some people are always looking for something that does not exist and decide they need it

800mm for equivalent is enough I am sure in 99,99% of the cases. No need to create an artificial need for the remaining 0.01% 

Harold

-- hide signature --

thedemandingtraveler.org
www.haroldglit.com

Funny Valentine Regular Member • Posts: 223

Just  adapt the sigma 150-600mm with an adapter That's the cheapest way to break the 1000 mm barrier. Not sure about the image quality, but it should be better than the panasonic 100-400.

User4286416121 Contributing Member • Posts: 516

Birding/wildlife sure need longer focal lengths. Would love a bright 500-800mm lens.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads