GF 50mm+MF sensor+Xpro3 body = Shut up and take my money. Locked

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
This thread is locked.
Trollshavethebestcandy
Trollshavethebestcandy Contributing Member • Posts: 536
GF 50mm+MF sensor+Xpro3 body = Shut up and take my money.

If fuji slaps the GF 50mm lens on the X Pro 3 body with the medium format sensor I will buy it. Fuji... Please do this! The lens is great and small. I want a MF compact camera with the hybrid viewfinder. Is anyone else as crazy as I?

Jerry-astro
MOD Jerry-astro Forum Pro • Posts: 16,461
Re: GF 50mm+MF sensor+Xpro3 body = Shut up and take my money.

Trollshavethebestcandy wrote:

If fuji slaps the GF 50mm lens on the X Pro 3 body with the medium format sensor I will buy it. Fuji... Please do this! The lens is great and small. I want a MF compact camera with the hybrid viewfinder. Is anyone else as crazy as I?

Maybe I'm missing something, but if you want an MF lens and an MF sensor, then buy an MF camera.  That's why the format exists, and by definition, neither the sensor nor lenses will fit comfortably in a crop format body.  Unfortunately, Fuji is bound by the laws of physics in designing their cameras and you can't get something for nothing here.  There's a good reason why MF cameras are significantly larger than their crop or FF counterparts.

What you're looking for simply cannot be built due to physical constraints.  If you want to enjoy the IQ benefits of larger formats, you have to be willing to pay the price in size and cost.  I doubt that will ever change.  Sorry.

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fujifilm X Forum Co-Mod

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +1 more
EuronGreyjoy
EuronGreyjoy Regular Member • Posts: 292

It already exists. GFX50R + GF50mm F3.5.

It's of course bigger than an X-Pro3 though. Here's a photo next to my X100V.

EuronGreyjoy's gear list:EuronGreyjoy's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +16 more
Trollshavethebestcandy
OP Trollshavethebestcandy Contributing Member • Posts: 536

I was thinking that if there was a fixed lens they could get it smaller and I would love a hybrid viewfinder.  I’m jealous of your GFX 50R

KaanG Regular Member • Posts: 395

Sure

While you are on the job, can you put a FF sensor into my phone ? See I am not asking too much like MF sensor. FF would be enough

KaanG Regular Member • Posts: 395

EuronGreyjoy wrote:

It already exists. GFX50R + GF50mm F3.5.

It's of course bigger than an X-Pro3 though. Here's a photo next to my X100V.

Oh My!

The GFX 50mm is supposed to be the "pancake" for the system, yet it is huge compared to the X100 body

Doug MacMillan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,233

Is anyone else as crazy as I?

I might be as crazy as you, but at least I stayed awake in my high school physics class.

Doug MacMillan's gear list:Doug MacMillan's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-H1 Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +9 more
Trollshavethebestcandy

It is all impossible until someone does it.  I think Fuji can get the package smaller if they go fixed lens.

Jerry-astro
It's always good to wish, but...

It is all impossible until someone does it. I think Fuji can get the package smaller if they go fixed lens.

Wish all you want. The chances of this rather unrealistic request happening fall somewhere between slim and none IMHO. You seem to be ignoring the the laws of physics and the fact that MF cameras aren't larger because designers are lazy or think their customers just want a larger camera. They're that size because they need to be to deal with the sensor size, optical path, etc. A fixed vs. interchangeable lens might help make such a camera a bit smaller, but nowhere near what you're looking for.

But, keeping an open mind here, perhaps you can share with us the list of cameras out there with MF sensors that meet (or come close to) your criteria. Clearly if other manufacturers can do it, then Fujifilm could as well. If you find that such a camera doesn't exist, then perhaps consider the possibility that there are physical reasons why it's hasn't been (and likely can't be) done.  Simply wishing for something, unfortunately, doesn't make it realistic or doable.

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fujifilm X Forum Co-Mod

Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +1 more
Trollshavethebestcandy

KaanG wrote:

Sure

While you are on the job, can you put a FF sensor into my phone ? See I am not asking too much like MF sensor. FF would be enough

Bingo Bango Bongo!

Your wish is granted

HeavyDuty Senior Member • Posts: 2,163

A more likely product (still a vanishingly small possibility IMO) would be a modern version of one of the Fuji MF fixed lens “Texas Leicas.” It wouldn’t be the size of an X-Pro3, though.

To be honest, I think the GFX 50R already fills this space...

-- hide signature --

Ken in Illinois
Railroad Action: http://www.pbase.com/kjford
Candids: http://www.pbase.com/kjford/other

HeavyDuty's gear list:HeavyDuty's gear list
Leica APO-Summicron-M 75mm f/2 ASPH Fujifilm X100S Sigma dp0 Quattro Canon XC10 Sony RX10 III +76 more
Truman Prevatt
Truman Prevatt Forum Pro • Posts: 11,520

There are a lot of na sayers out there. Fuji has the reputation of doing some strange things. For example Fujifilm is the only camera company to produce a medium format (120) range finder film camera, affectionally known as "The Texas Leica."  It shoots 6x9 on 120 roll film.

https://mendoza.io/first-roll-with-the-fuji-gw690ii/

It didn't sell a Hell of a lot but it was a great camera.  Then they lease a body (D200 body) from Nikon and take over the Nikon name and put on theirs and put in a unique sensor and call it the SPro3 and SPro5.  No need to design lenses - it used Nikon F mount lenses.

The the XPro line is sort of out there - the only mirrorless (other than Leica) with an integrated optical finder in a fully mirrorless body.  Some love it - some hate it.  With cameras, Fuji has always sort of nibbled around the edges of unique products.  Could it be made smaller than the GFX50 R in a fixed lens camera.  Probably yes if it used an in lens shutter - thus eliminating the entire shutter mechanism.  Could they get it smaller than an XPro3 - probably not as the sensor is significantly larger.

While they probably won't do what you want - you just never know with Fuji.   To tell you the truth if they did it, I be second in like to buy it.

-- hide signature --

"If you learn only methods, you’ll be tied to your methods, but if you learn principles you can devise your own methods." Ralph Waldo Emerson
___
Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Truman Prevatt's gear list:Truman Prevatt's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R XF 90mm +12 more
robert1955 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,233

It is all impossible until someone does it. I think Fuji can get the package smaller if they go fixed lens.

Seems to me you are from the school of 'thought' that suggests that laws of physics are really guidelines. (I think Terry Pratchett is the source here]

robert1955's gear list:robert1955's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR
Trollshavethebestcandy
Re: It's always good to wish, but...

Designers are inherently lazy... They don’t build anything!  Like Charlie Brown said, “Those who can’t do, teach”.

Start with a compact and good lens design with a leaf shutter designed for the MF sensor, add a hybrid VF, trim the fat, bend a few laws of physics and voila!

Trollshavethebestcandy

robert1955 wrote:

Seems to me you are from the school of 'thought' that suggests that laws of physics are really guidelines. (I think Terry Pratchett is the source here]

Laws Scmawles

Honey, I shrunk the MF camera!

Trollshavethebestcandy

HeavyDuty wrote:

A more likely product (still a vanishingly small possibility IMO) would be a modern version of one of the Fuji MF fixed lens “Texas Leicas.” It wouldn’t be the size of an X-Pro3, though.

To be honest, I think the GFX 50R already fills this space...

Bring on the Texas Leica 2.0

Trollshavethebestcandy

Doug MacMillan wrote:

Is anyone else as crazy as I?

I might be as crazy as you, but at least I stayed awake in my high school physics class.

The idea is to get a small as possible MF camera.  Don’t be so pedantic or a bore.

Trollshavethebestcandy

Truman Prevatt wrote:

There are a lot of na sayers out there. Fuji has the reputation of doing some strange things. For example Fujifilm is the only camera company to produce a medium format (120) range finder film camera, affectionally known as "The Texas Leica." It shoots 6x9 on 120 roll film.

https://mendoza.io/first-roll-with-the-fuji-gw690ii/

It didn't sell a Hell of a lot but it was a great camera. Then they lease a body (D200 body) from Nikon and take over the Nikon name and put on theirs and put in a unique sensor and call it the SPro3 and SPro5. No need to design lenses - it used Nikon F mount lenses.

The the XPro line is sort of out there - the only mirrorless (other than Leica) with an integrated optical finder in a fully mirrorless body. Some love it - some hate it. With cameras, Fuji has always sort of nibbled around the edges of unique products. Could it be made smaller than the GFX50 R in a fixed lens camera. Probably yes if it used an in lens shutter - thus eliminating the entire shutter mechanism. Could they get it smaller than an XPro3 - probably not as the sensor is significantly larger.

While they probably won't do what you want - you just never know with Fuji. To tell you the truth if they did it, I be second in like to buy it.

Thank you for a great response

May the Fuji gods be with you.

Jerry-astro
Physics must be irrelevant in this fantasy world...

I'm sure you're having some fun trolling the forum with this thread, and honestly, it's just entertaining enough that I'll resist the urge to lock it and move on [for now]. Meanwhile, at some point, hopefully the laws of physics might enter into the conversation, because so far, they've pretty well been ignored here.

Frankly, I'd also like to be able to fly from Portland to NYC in 5 minutes or so, too. And if the airlines could manage that, they could also "shut up and take my money." However, since they're also bound by the laws (and limitations) of physics, I won't expect to see that happen anytime soon... same goes with your wishlist item. Good luck with that.

Finally, you might consider the fact that MF cameras aren't large simply because designers think that photographers want huge cameras.  There might be some other reasons behind it.

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fujifilm X Forum Co-Mod

Foskito
Foskito Regular Member • Posts: 427

Truman Prevatt wrote:

For example Fujifilm is the only camera company to produce a medium format (120) range finder film camera, affectionally known as "The Texas Leica."

Nope. There is a Bronica MF rangefinder and the Mamiya 6, 7, and 7ii.

Foskito's gear list:Foskito's gear list
Leica M9-P Leica M8 Sony a7R II Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EOS 5D +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads