***Weekly Wildlife Thread: Mar 22nd - 28th***

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
zackiedawg
zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 33,282
***Weekly Wildlife Thread: Mar 22nd - 28th***

It's time to post your wildlife images, and view & comment on everyone else's wildlife images!

All wildlife not contained or restricted (NO Pets or Zoo Animals please).

All systems are welcome. When not Sony, please indicate the equipment used.

When posting your own images, please reply to the first post in the thread; otherwise, thread viewers using the 'threaded' view may overlook your contribution.

And please feel free to view and comment on the wildlife photos you see, to keep the thread friendly and active!

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony a6600 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +24 more
zackiedawg
OP zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 33,282
14 Minutes of BIF, 10 Species

Last week's thread, I had shared about 1 hour worth of wetlands shooting on January 5th, this post covers the final 14 minutes of shooting on that same day before the light disappeared, as the sun was hugging the horizon and being lost behind the trees. It shows a bit of how crowded the wetlands become at the end of the day - in just 14 minutes, standing in one spot, I shot 10 different species of birds flying over or past. There are actually hundreds of birds in flight this time of day, with ibis and cattle egret far outnumbering any other species...but still, you can see quite an amazing selection of different birds all coming in to roost for the night, or passing by to look for any last minute hunting or fishing opportunities.

All shots taken at Wakodahatchee Wetlands, with the A6600 and FE200-600mm G OSS lens, and all posted at 1400 pixels on the long side if you click the originals:

Starting with one of the most colorful and vibrant birds in the wetlands - the roseate spoonbill. Those pink colors lit up by an orange-yellow sun setting to the west make this bird rather impossible not to see up in the sky!

One of my favorite wetlands ducks, the black-bellied whistling...they are here in huge numbers this time of year - hundreds just at this one wetland alone. Here, a solo one comes down to land

More ofteh, they fly in packs like this - they start whistling and calling for a few minutes, then suddenly groups of 5-10 ducks will launch out of the wetlands together and fly around in a big circle, sometimes coming back to the same spot, and sometimes finding a new spot

A lovely anhinga, showing off those glossy black feathers as it cruises by

Another roseate spoonbill passing almost directly overhead - those pinks getting some glow from the side-light of the sun setting to his right

As he passed a little farther away, I took one more parting shot of him

Shooting towards the western sunset, this great egret passing behind me was glowing through the wings and bill

A little blue heron banking a turn and showing its underside with those blue-grey feathers

A female anhinga catching the warm sunset glow as it rises into the growing dusk

So many ibis fly past that I almost tune them out - but sometimes the light hits them just right, and in this case, some fun shadow play as he casts his head shadow on his own wing

A big wood stork heading this direction - also casting some very late sun shadows on his own wings and body

With the sun almost gone, the only light remaining was higher up in the sky, the last orange-red glow - just the airspace where the cooper hawk was flying over to see if any small birds below might not be paying attention and can be grabbed for a late dinner

Two black-bellied whistling ducks flying around together high up in the sky, getting some nice warm final light

A tricolor heron heading this way - not much sun to catch as he was flying through the shadows of the western tree line, blocking out the horizon light - but his color pattern is bold enough to still stand out even in shadow

And as I was walking back to my car, one last bird was coming down to land - and there was a shaft of sunlight peeking between the trees and casting a beam in one spot - I followed this great blue heron until he hit that shaft of light, to add the 10th species in 14 minutes!

-- hide signature --

Justin

Sony a6300 Sony a6600 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +24 more
Ed at Ridersite Forum Pro • Posts: 19,610
Re: 14 Minutes of BIF, 10 Species

Pretty amazing Justin!  I don't see that many birds fly by in six months

You do a great job of capturing them - all tack sharp with nice exposures.  Hard to pick favorites, but for me, maybe the second spoonbill and that ibis with the nice shadow under the wing.  Also really like the lone whistling duck and the little blue heron.

Nice shootin!

-- hide signature --

AEH
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/blog
Question: What do you do all week?
Answer: Mon to Fri. Nothing, Sat & Sun I rest!

Ed at Ridersite's gear list:Ed at Ridersite's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony SLT-A68 Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II
Re: ***Weekly Wildlife Thread: Mar 22nd - 28th***

When I left Cambria, CA, I flew up to Portland, OR to visit my daughter and family for eight days in early February. The wildlife in that area is pretty abundant too. It was only a short walk from her place to Bethany Lake a few miles west of the city. Here's a few shots from my visit.

Song Sparrow

Male Red-winged Blackbird

Male Gladwall

Female American Wigeon

Male American Wigeon

Female American Wigeon from the front

Male American Wigeon from the front

Sadly I missed eye focus on this, but I still like the pose - male RWBB

Male Anna's Hummingbird

Spotted Towhee a little obscured - male I think

Eastern Fox Squirrel

American Robin

Another male Spotted Towhee

Bushtit

Another of the Bushtit

-- hide signature --

AEH

Sony RX100 II Sony SLT-A68 Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II
Bart7D
Bart7D Veteran Member • Posts: 4,459
Thanks, Zackiedawg

Quite a bird catalogue, Justin!

Also, I want to tell you how much I appreciate  your continuous effort to keep these wildlife threads going, especially with the high quality of your images and thus inviting other people to lift the bar that high, with the amazing equipment we have at our hands!

Again, thanks for all this
Bart

Bart7D's gear list:Bart7D's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha a99 Sony a77 II +22 more
Snowfella
Snowfella Senior Member • Posts: 1,086

Early entry this week as my nemesis made a return over the backyard. No telling when I'll get a chance to head out again as we just hit lockdown status here in NSW, have a planned holiday at the beach starting today that's currently in doubt.

Magpie-lark "playing" with fire. Not very happy to see the Square-tailed Kite.

Snowfella's gear list:Snowfella's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 Sony a99 II Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM +1 more
gordonpritchard Veteran Member • Posts: 4,615
Waiting for the herring run

A twice a year (noisy) occurrence in Parksville BC Canada

-- hide signature --

———————————————————————------
"View their gallery before accepting their comments."
———————————————————————------
My photos: http://www.gordonpritchard.blogspot.com/

gordonpritchard's gear list:gordonpritchard's gear list
Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sony SLT-A57 Sony a77 II Sony 500mm F8 Reflex Tamron 16-300mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Macro

Awesome stuff Johan!  It was nice of the Magpie to come into focus in that second image!

Nice shootin - even if it was backyard

-- hide signature --

AEH

Re: Waiting for the herring run

Awesome detail in that portrait Gordon!

-- hide signature --

AEH

Steve West Veteran Member • Posts: 6,126
Re: 14 Minutes of BIF, 10 Species

Awesome shots. Never seen the black-bellied whistlings before, and they are very handsome!

-- hide signature --

Steve W

Steve West's gear list:Steve West's gear list
Sony Alpha a99 Sony a6000 Sony a99 II Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM +7 more

Great set Ed!  The widgeons are one of my favorite ducks. However, my father (who was a big duck hunter) saw them in a completely different manner when he was on the Mississippi river.

-- hide signature --

Steve W

Sony Alpha a99 Sony a6000 Sony a99 II Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM +7 more

Amazing shots. Getting action shots are like the holy grail for me--never got one yet!

-- hide signature --

Steve W

That portrait shot is super!

-- hide signature --

Steve W

Snowfella
Snowfella Senior Member • Posts: 1,086

Thanks.
It's down to "luck of the draw" and right place at the right time. Managed a few over the years and it's all come down to dumb luck.
Think the one I value the most is an Osprey shot carrying 2 large mullets, it isn't sharp, way off in the distance but it's a shot I don't think I'll ever manage again.

Snowfella's gear list:Snowfella's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 Sony a99 II Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM +1 more
RichVic Regular Member • Posts: 388

A few more from Tower Hill in South West Victoria.

Found another location where the birds like to come down and bathe

The Grey Fantails were monopolizing it when I got there

But others took their turn

Going to have to research who this little guy is

I think this is some type of WattleBird but not certain ... will have to do more research

I was crouching under a bush and heard noise behind me ... not too surprisingly the fantails let the emu drink [And that is why you take the pic at 1/2000 of a sec ... because I was taking pics of the fantails

And tonight I tried turning up the EV as it was quite dark

First time I've manage to get two in a sequence at least half decent

A Finch of some sort ... waited his turn

Had to fight his way down though ... the fantails were not at all welcoming

Cheers Richard C

RichVic's gear list:RichVic's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony a99 II Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro (F004) +3 more
zackiedawg

Beautiful shots, Ed.  Amazing ducks, and sparrow too - and love the Anna's hummingbird shot.  You're quite the tour promoter for that part of the country - I never would have thought of so many bird species there.

-- hide signature --

Justin

zackiedawg

Great action shots - I love watching little birds going after something that would normally eat them - amazing how much courage some small birds have when raptors come around.  The first two are particularly nice that you caught them in such close proximity, and the second shot really does show how the small bird puts itself very much in danger trying to chase off the brute!

-- hide signature --

Justin

zackiedawg

Very nice - they are noisy, messy, and smelly when they congregate, but I've always loved them...one of my favorite things to do in California was go down and watch them and walk amongst them on the docks and rocks.

The second 'portrait' shot is particularly nice - gorgeous light and fur detail.

-- hide signature --

Justin

zackiedawg

Nice job with the little birds - especially the fantail lifting off in the first, and the beautiful little yellow fella bathing.  The emu closeup is excellent - detail and sharpness but also a great perspective on these strange big birds!

-- hide signature --

Justin

Scott Alan Regular Member • Posts: 488
Osprey are back in Central Ohio

Taken with A7RIII, 100-400mm GM, and 1.4TC.

Osprey flying by as I was watching an eagles nest. One eagle took off and cased it away.

Scott Alan's gear list:Scott Alan's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G SSM II Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) Zeiss Loxia 50 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads