f-stop going to zero (f0) intermittently

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
anim8tr Regular Member • Posts: 140
f-stop going to zero (f0) intermittently

I've got a D600 with a high number of activations. I shoot 100-125 bracketed shots on a typical day. This past week I've noticed that the f-stop occasionally switches to zero (0) and I can't change it. I shoot in aperture priority mode.
Does anyone have an idea as to why this is occurring? I've read that it might be due to dirty connection points on the lens mount but I haven't removed the lens from this camera in over a month. Any thoughts or suggestons?

Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Bill Ferris
Bill Ferris Veteran Member • Posts: 6,063
Re: f-stop going to zero (f0) intermittently

anim8tr wrote:

I've got a D600 with a high number of activations. I shoot 100-125 bracketed shots on a typical day. This past week I've noticed that the f-stop occasionally switches to zero (0) and I can't change it. I shoot in aperture priority mode.
Does anyone have an idea as to why this is occurring? I've read that it might be due to dirty connection points on the lens mount but I haven't removed the lens from this camera in over a month. Any thoughts or suggestons?

It sounds as if the camera is intermittently losing communication with the lens. When no lens is attached and the camera is powered, on, the display normally reads, f/0. I would recommend removing the lens and examining the contact points on it and the camera body for an debris, moisture or other matter that could potentially interrupt the connection. While the lens is off the body, you could use a lens tissue to gently clean the connections.

Good luck.

-- hide signature --

Bill Ferris Photography
Flagstaff, AZ
http://www.billferris.photoshelter.com

Bill Ferris's gear list:Bill Ferris's gear list
Nikon D610 Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +3 more
Chuck Yadmark
Chuck Yadmark Veteran Member • Posts: 4,573

for sure electrical contact loss. fortunately almost always superficial.  Even though always attached stuff happens.  remove, you can use a pencil eraser to rub over.   I have Deoxit, usually not needed.

-- hide signature --

Ann Arbor, MI USA
www.sportsshooter.com/cyadmark

Chuck Yadmark's gear list:Chuck Yadmark's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon D4 Nikon D4S Nikon D750 Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR +19 more
nbirkett Senior Member • Posts: 1,895

Bill Ferris wrote:

anim8tr wrote:

It sounds as if the camera is intermittently losing communication with the lens. When no lens is attached and the camera is powered, on, the display normally reads, f/0. I would recommend removing the lens and examining the contact points on it and the camera body for an debris, moisture or other matter that could potentially interrupt the connection. While the lens is off the body, you could use a lens tissue to gently clean the connections.

Agree that this is a good suggestion to check.  But, FWIW, when my D7200 is powered on with no lens in place, the aperture value reads f/2.8, not f/0.  I have never seen f/0 on my cameras.  But, I don't have a D600 series camera.

-- hide signature --

Nick

nbirkett's gear list:nbirkett's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +6 more
OP anim8tr Regular Member • Posts: 140

Bill Ferris wrote:

anim8tr wrote:

Good luck.

Thanks Bill, I‘ll give that a try. I‘ve cleaned the mount and lens and have a full day of shoots tomorrow, so we’ll. If I see “f0” again, I’ll play around with the lens and see if removing/re-attaching it does anything. If it doesn’t I’ll follow-up here.

michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 14,774

nbirkett wrote:

Agree that this is a good suggestion to check. But, FWIW, when my D7200 is powered on with no lens in place, the aperture value reads f/2.8, not f/0. I have never seen f/0 on my cameras. But, I don't have a D600 series camera.

Interesting.  I also have a D7200 and when I powered it on without a lens it read f/2.5.  My D850 reads f/0.  My Z7 read F--

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Nikon D5 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Nikon D7200 Nikon Z7 +34 more

michaeladawson wrote:

nbirkett wrote:

Agree that this is a good suggestion to check. But, FWIW, when my D7200 is powered on with no lens in place, the aperture value reads f/2.8, not f/0. I have never seen f/0 on my cameras. But, I don't have a D600 series camera.

Interesting. I also have a D7200 and when I powered it on without a lens it read f/2.5. My D850 reads f/0. My Z7 read F--

It could be a difference between the various models. My D600 (full frame) shows "f0" when I power on without a lens.

afoton
afoton Senior Member • Posts: 1,762

nbirkett wrote:

Bill Ferris wrote:

anim8tr wrote:

It will view the aperture that is set in the non-cpu-lens menu. If your last non-cpu-lens was f/2.8, it will fall back to that everythime the camera do not sense a cpu-lens.

With nothing set in the non-cpu-lens menu, and that is the default for all cameras with this menu, it will reads f0.

nbirkett Senior Member • Posts: 1,895

afoton wrote:

nbirkett wrote:

Bill Ferris wrote:

anim8tr wrote:

It will view the aperture that is set in the non-cpu-lens menu. If your last non-cpu-lens was f/2.8, it will fall back to that everythime the camera do not sense a cpu-lens.

With nothing set in the non-cpu-lens menu, and that is the default for all cameras with this menu, it will reads f0.

Ah - that makes senses and explains the different values being reported.  Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Nick

nbirkett's gear list:nbirkett's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +6 more
James809 Senior Member • Posts: 1,271

anim8tr wrote:

michaeladawson wrote:

nbirkett wrote:

Interesting. I also have a D7200 and when I powered it on without a lens it read f/2.5. My D850 reads f/0. My Z7 read F--

It could be a difference between the various models. My D600 (full frame) shows "f0" when I power on without a lens.

Have you tried any other lenses yet?  Your post mentioned that you haven't taken the lens in question off in a while.

James809's gear list:James809's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D750 Nikon D4S Nikon D4 Nikon D5 +7 more

James809 wrote:

Have you tried any other lenses yet? Your post mentioned that you haven't taken the lens in question off in a while.

I haven't. I'm going to stick to that one lens for now and troubleshoot it first. If troubleshooting resolve the issue, I'll try a different lens to see if the f0 issue pops-up again. That could indicate a problem with the camera (?)

Flashlight Veteran Member • Posts: 8,543
Probable cause...

michaeladawson wrote:

nbirkett wrote:

My D7200 reads f/0, my D750 f/2.5, my D5200 and D3500 both f--.

But i entered f/2.5 in 'non-CPU lens data' for my 105 f/2.5 MF in the D750, not in the D7200. Likely that is the difference and possibly for you too.

-- hide signature --

Philip

Flashlight Veteran Member • Posts: 8,543

afoton wrote:

nbirkett wrote:

Bill Ferris wrote:

anim8tr wrote:

OK, you beat me to it with 10 hours, really have to spend more time online...

-- hide signature --

Philip

James809 Senior Member • Posts: 1,271

anim8tr wrote:

James809 wrote:

Have you tried any other lenses yet? Your post mentioned that you haven't taken the lens in question off in a while.

I haven't. I'm going to stick to that one lens for now and troubleshoot it first. If troubleshooting resolve the issue, I'll try a different lens to see if the f0 issue pops-up again. That could indicate a problem with the camera (?)

Correct. If the camera is the problem you'll waste time troubleshooting. Swapping to another lens is a 30 second task and it'll rule one or the other out quickly.

James809's gear list:James809's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D750 Nikon D4S Nikon D4 Nikon D5 +7 more
Leonard Migliore
Leonard Migliore Forum Pro • Posts: 18,334
non-CPU lens data

michaeladawson wrote:

nbirkett wrote:

That's because your D7200's non-CPU lens data was set for an f/2.5 lens, presumably a 105mm. nbirkett's D7200 was set for some f/2.8 non-CPU lens. If you don't have a non-CPU lens entered, the camera reads f/0 when there's no lens.

The Z cameras have no provision for reading non-CPU lenses so they just don't give you an f/stop reading.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads