What Nikon camera for old manual lenses?

Started Mar 22, 2020 | Discussions
lightandaprayer Senior Member • Posts: 4,107
Re: What Nikon camera for old manual lenses?

DWCphoto wrote:

Thanks for all the info. All good information to consider. z mount sounds better for lens

fit. However, I would have to go with an older full frame to max lens information and max dollars usage. Thanks, everyone.

When asking for gear recommendations it's always helpful to provide your actual budget, unless money isn't a problemĀ  LOL. . . If you post the amount you can afford to spend, you will receive suggestions based on your budget instead of cameras that cost more than you can currently afford.

RJSinNY Regular Member • Posts: 109

... or how much your spouse says you can spend.

RJSinNY's gear list:RJSinNY's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +4 more
mais51
mais51 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,541

RJSinNY wrote:

... or how much your spouse says you can spend.

Now that is more likely the reason

Actually now is not the time to buy anything

Sit tight and see how thing turns out

mais51's gear list:mais51's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G +7 more
Re: With my Df...

Stan Disbrow wrote:

Hi,

...I am seriously considering selling off all my AF, AFD and AFS primes and keeping just my old manual focus primes. Save for the AF 20mm f2.8 since I no longer have a manual focus 20mm.

I am moving to medium format for higher resolution than the 16 MP of the Df. Looking at most of my lenses, I don't believe most of them would work so well on a D850 or a Z7. If I have to re-buy lenses, I might as well do this with an eye towards the eventual acquisition of a FujiFilm GFX 100 in a few years.

I would keep the few AF zooms with the Df and F5 with digital back.

This is just where my thinking is these days when it comes to new cameras and old lenses. Plus I still have my working FE for 135 format film.

What makes you think your lenses won't work well with a D850? Have you rented one and tried them out? I'm curious.

Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +4 more
OP DWCphoto New Member • Posts: 14

You are right about $ amount. I guess somewhere around $ 400.00 or less. As long as the IQ is as good as around a D7000. I shoot low ISO,s usually on tripod, looking for good IQ up to an 11 x 14 pic size.

DWCphoto's gear list:DWCphoto's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Nikon D200

What did you guys think about the image quality from my ancient 85mm AI lens on my D750? I only cropped out parts of the chair around her, no post processing.

mais51

RJSinNY wrote:

What did you guys think about the image quality from my ancient 85mm AI lens on my D750? I only cropped out parts of the chair around her, no post processing.

Great photo - do you know why people don't offer any comment ? because she is your daughter.

Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G +7 more

mais51 wrote:

RJSinNY wrote:

Great photo - do you know why people don't offer any comment ? because she is your daughter.

Really? Well, I just want to know what folks think of the picture. Everyone’s daughter is the most beautiful girl in the world. Am I right, or am I right?

Anyway, I am legally blind.completely blind in the right, and I have only a very narrow field of view - about 16* in my right eye, and the vision I have can only be corrected to 20/50. My wife just tells me most of my pictures are fabulous because that’s part of her job now. I want truth.

in this case, looking at it on my iMac it looks good, but I don’t have a newer version for comparison. So, my daughter aside, I was curious about the IQ and how well it is focused. I love that focus dot in the viewfinder, but I wonder how accurate it really is.
Love the honesty, no appreciation for rudeness, Either way a great hobby. It just was greater when I could jump in the car. Drive to the ocean and anywhere else.

I’m 1hr north of NYC and would love to have a drink or two, or four and just discus Photography with anyone interested

Igor Sotelo Regular Member • Posts: 451

RJSinNY wrote:

Stan Disbrow wrote:

Hi,

...I am seriously considering selling off all my AF, AFD and AFS primes and keeping just my old manual focus primes. Save for the AF 20mm f2.8 since I no longer have a manual focus 20mm.

I am moving to medium format for higher resolution than the 16 MP of the Df. Looking at most of my lenses, I don't believe most of them would work so well on a D850 or a Z7. If I have to re-buy lenses, I might as well do this with an eye towards the eventual acquisition of a FujiFilm GFX 100 in a few years.

I would keep the few AF zooms with the Df and F5 with digital back.

This is just where my thinking is these days when it comes to new cameras and old lenses. Plus I still have my working FE for 135 format film.

What makes you think your lenses won't work well with a D850? Have you rented one and tried them out? I'm curious.

The D850, with the D780, is by big difference the best DSLR ever made, but I think that the Df is a phenomenal digital camera, particularly if you grew using film cameras with classic controls.

When you have a camera that you really like, you use it a lot, even if it’s not technically advanced. The Leica M system is another example of that.

Igor Sotelo's gear list:Igor Sotelo's gear list
Nikon D800 Canon EOS 6D Nikon Df Canon EOS 5DS Sony a7R II +13 more
mais51

RJSinNY wrote:

mais51 wrote:

RJSinNY wrote:

Really? Well, I just want to know what folks think of the picture. Everyone’s daughter is the most beautiful girl in the world. Am I right, or am I right?

Anyway, I am legally blind.completely blind in the right, and I have only a very narrow field of view - about 16* in my right eye, and the vision I have can only be corrected to 20/50. My wife just tells me most of my pictures are fabulous because that’s part of her job now. I want truth.

in this case, looking at it on my iMac it looks good, but I don’t have a newer version for comparison. So, my daughter aside, I was curious about the IQ and how well it is focused. I love that focus dot in the viewfinder, but I wonder how accurate it really is.
Love the honesty, no appreciation for rudeness, Either way a great hobby. It just was greater when I could jump in the car. Drive to the ocean and anywhere else.

I’m 1hr north of NYC and would love to have a drink or two, or four and just discus Photography with anyone interested

It is too personal to comment on someone daughter, son or wife - just the right and proper etiquette - just my opinion anyway.

Stan Disbrow Veteran Member • Posts: 4,969

Hi,

No, I haven't tried it out. I have seen enough reports regarding the subject to accept it and not go through a bunch of effort to see just how lenses from the Pre-AI and AI film era do on a D850. Or even the AF lenses from the F4 era.

Besides, the D850 and Z7 sport too small a pixel pitch. Trying to stuff too many pixels in too small an area. I'd rather put the 50 MP into 44x33mm than 24x36mm. Now, maybe going the 36 MP route would be fine. That works for me, but the cost is a bit too much for me to get one to experiment with. Renting is out as no one locally rents a 36 MP. Besides, it'd take me quite a while to go thru this collection and then the rental cost adds up.

Stan

-- hide signature --

Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
Once you start down the DSLR path, forever will it dominate your destiny! Consume
your bank account, it will! Like mine, it did!

Stan Disbrow's gear list:Stan Disbrow's gear list
Kodak DCS520 Kodak DCS760 Nikon D1H Pentax 645D Nikon Df +19 more

Hi,

MF can be cheaper than you think. I am looking at $1700 for a body and then three lenses in the $300 range each. Decent, one generation old, used equipment. So, start with that and see what I think. Much less than a D850 or a Z7.

That Df is probably the last camera body I will buy new. And, I am uncomfortable buying 135 format equipment used. Not so medium format.

There is a list of technical reasons I really don't want all those MP in a 24x36mm sensor and would rather go 33x44mm instead. Now, I might go 36 MP in 24x36mm, but I can go 40 MP in 33x44mm for a lot less.

After I evaluate that for my uses, I will see where I go from there. I am in no great hurry.

But, back to the old Nikon manual focus lenses, I find myself using my old glass more often than I do the newer AF and AFS. I didn't use the old stuff anywhere near as much before the Df.

Stan

-- hide signature --

Amateur Photographer
Once you start down the DSLR path, forever will it dominate your destiny! Consume

BGD300V1
BGD300V1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,717

DWCphoto wrote:

I agree the Zmount would be better, however $ 1.4 k for a used one is totally out of my $ range. I am not making $ from my photography any more. It is just for fun. Thanks any other ideas.

Since you are using the D200, the Z50 would work for you and is significantly cheaper.  You will need the FTZ for your old lenses.

-- hide signature --
 BGD300V1's gear list:BGD300V1's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 +12 more
Edenhurst
Edenhurst Forum Member • Posts: 59

I've been shooting with a pair of Df's for the last three or four years. You'd have to murder me to get these babies out of my hands! I've never loved a camera as much as my Df's.

Edenhurst's gear list:Edenhurst's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon D4S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E ED Nikon 28mm F1.4E +4 more
Igor Sotelo Regular Member • Posts: 451

Edenhurst wrote:

I've been shooting with a pair of Df's for the last three or four years. You'd have to murder me to get these babies out of my hands! I've never loved a camera as much as my Df's.

As much as I like my 5Ds, using the Df is a special sensation. For me, it’s a no brainer recommendation. Though many people don’t like its idiosyncrasies.

Igor Sotelo's gear list:Igor Sotelo's gear list
Nikon D800 Canon EOS 6D Nikon Df Canon EOS 5DS Sony a7R II +13 more

Having never had ir used a DF, what is it about them that you love so much that you wouldn’t trade up to a newer higher MP DSLR? The controls? Weight? Feel? Nostalgia? Having had a FM2 and F3HP I personally am attracted to their appearance for nostalgic reasons, but not enough to sway me from jumping to a D850 or maybe even a Z7. I always wanted a Hassie, but my wife snd I were invested in Nikon glass, and she through a fit when she saw the prices. Being able to mount all our lenses on a Z7 is making me think of trying a Z7 given a 30 day return policy. I have fave largish hands so a D810 felt nice, therefore I’m thinking s D850 would be just as comfortable. Which MFs are you finding for those prices?

AI or AI-S on a newer Nikon absolutely, pre-AI no way. But then again, I never owned anything pre-AI.

Pixel pitch? I have to say It totally escaped my mind and has me thinking.

mais51

RJSinNY wrote:

Having never had ir used a DF, what is it about them that you love so much that you wouldn’t trade up to a newer higher MP DSLR? The controls? Weight? Feel? Nostalgia? Having had a FM2 and F3HP I personally am attracted to their appearance for nostalgic reasons, but not enough to sway me from jumping to a D850 or maybe even a Z7. I always wanted a Hassie, but my wife snd I were invested in Nikon glass, and she through a fit when she saw the prices. Being able to mount all our lenses on a Z7 is making me think of trying a Z7 given a 30 day return policy. I have fave largish hands so a D810 felt nice, therefore I’m thinking s D850 would be just as comfortable. Which MFs are you finding for those prices?

AI or AI-S on a newer Nikon absolutely, pre-AI no way. But then again, I never owned anything pre-AI.

Pixel pitch? I have to say It totally escaped my mind and has me thinking.

Get a D850

You never regret - I have mine for nearly 2 years now after using the D800 for 5 years - best camera from Nikon thus far.

Hi,

For me, the Df is a modern FE or FA. I used both of those a lot. It was what I wanted back in 1999 but didn't exist. I prefer the control knobs  over pushing buttons and using the dial. The D4 sensor is excellent. The size is smaller and lighter than my FA with MD15 motor drive and MF12 data back. It gives the same functionality.

And I have many AI Converted, AI and AIS lenses and a couple Pre-AI. The Df works with them all. My concern with pixel pitch is going too small with these lenses isn't all that good an idea. My current project could use more MP than the Df but if I went to even 36 MP I would probably be looking at buying new lenses. The cost is prohibitive. This also applies to the AF and AFD lenses I have. All older film era ones.

The medium format I decided to give a try is the Pentax 645D. That is 40 MP with a 44x33mm Kodak sensor. Before I finally bought a Df, I was using a Kodak 36x36mm 16 MP digital back on a Contax 645. So the size of the rig is fine by me. If this project actually makes money, then I would consider something newer by way of MF. But this is a good beginning. I bought a 645D from Roberts for $1600. And the lenses are much less than their Nikon equivalents.

Stan

-- hide signature --

Amateur Photographer

How is the pixel pitch effected by the lens? I really wantes a D4 when they came out, but I had 3 kids and my wife had to quit work because of the cost of daycare vs her salary.

Hi,

The smaller the pixel pitch, the greater the resolution the lens needs. So, old lenses which function just fine on the Df can become soft looking on the D850 or Z7.

Stan

-- hide signature --

Amateur Photographer

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads