My first Macro shot feedback

Started Mar 21, 2020 | Discussions
John Koerner
John Koerner Contributing Member • Posts: 664
Re: My first Macro shot feedback

John K wrote:

You should really sell your camera gear and use the money on a therapist...

You should try shutting TH up and really examining yourself.

Again, you started the mouth-running here, not me. I offered a friendly, constructive suggestion ... and once again, like a yapping mutt, you came here to "bark at me" ...

Yet, you say "I" need the help

Son, you not only need the therapy, but a serious boot in the @$$

-- hide signature --
 John Koerner's gear list:John Koerner's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 +19 more
John K Veteran Member • Posts: 9,575
Re: My first Macro shot feedback

John Koerner wrote:

Son, you not only need the therapy, but a serious boot in the @$$

You're not man enough, and only talk like you are somebody because you're hiding behind a computer. Only a real coward would physically threaten someone on a forum, Get help...

-- hide signature --

Also known as Dalantech
My Book: http://nocroppingzone.blogspot.com/2010/01/extreme-macro-art-of-patience.html
My Blog: http://www.extrememacro.com
My gallery: http://www.johnkimbler.com
Macro Tutorials: http://dalantech.deviantart.com/gallery/4122501/Tutorials
Always minimal post processing and no cropping -unless you count the viewfinder...

John Koerner
John Koerner Contributing Member • Posts: 664
Re: My first Macro shot feedback

John K wrote:

You're not man enough, and only talk like you are somebody because you're hiding behind a computer.

Now that's funny. I have been a casualty investigator for over 30 years, out in the field, live and face-to-face, with people a lot scarier than the lisping John K.

Only a real coward would physically threaten someone on a forum, Get help...

Oh brother, yeah, you got me, John.

I am afraid of the brave, lisping boy with the 80D.

Dude, go hug your teddy bear, and stop trying to bait me.

-- hide signature --
 John Koerner's gear list:John Koerner's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 +19 more
John K Veteran Member • Posts: 9,575
Re: My first Macro shot feedback

John Koerner wrote:

John K wrote:

You're not man enough, and only talk like you are somebody because you're hiding behind a computer.

Now that's funny. I have been a casualty investigator for over 30 years, out in the field, live and face-to-face, with people a lot scarier than the lisping John K.

And? That somehow makes you relevant?

Only a real coward would physically threaten someone on a forum, Get help...

Oh brother, yeah, you got me, John.

I am afraid of the brave, lisping boy with the 80D.

Dude, go hug your teddy bear, and stop trying to bait me.

But it's so EASY to do! You're so easy to manipulate I can lead you around like there's a collar around your neck and I'm holding the leash

-- hide signature --

Also known as Dalantech
My Book: http://nocroppingzone.blogspot.com/2010/01/extreme-macro-art-of-patience.html
My Blog: http://www.extrememacro.com
My gallery: http://www.johnkimbler.com
Macro Tutorials: http://dalantech.deviantart.com/gallery/4122501/Tutorials
Always minimal post processing and no cropping -unless you count the viewfinder...

(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 19,317
Re: My first Macro shot feedback

John Koerner wrote:

Donald B wrote:

Ive seen some really nice close up images using it but they never discuss there processing workflow .There's a guy that has some impressive phone close ups. I would like to match.

Yes, there are many photographers whose post-processing skills are out of this world. I have improved my own, but only marginally. I use Nik software plugins, and (sometimes layers) to do certain work.

Funny that you bring this up, because I had just told myself I am going to look up some YouTube tutorials over the weekend (not for tonemapping specifically), but to try to broaden my usage of software to process my images better.

Cheers,

To be honest im hopeless at PP I cant even use layers. i just cant get my head around it so i compromise and use twin screens and twin images if i have to.

Don

-- hide signature --

"When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers." - Socrates
Olympus EM5mk2 ,EM1mk2
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/9412035244
past toys. k100d, k10d,k7,fz5,fz150,500uz,canon G9, Olympus xz1 em5mk1

stevendillonphoto Senior Member • Posts: 1,259
Re: My first Macro shot feedback

Not too bad for a first effort.

-- hide signature --

Steven Dillon - Capturing Nature's Art - http://www.stevendillonphoto.com

OP kpr1291 Forum Member • Posts: 52
Re: My first Macro shot feedback
1

John Koerner wrote:

kpr1291 wrote:

Hello,

This is my first macro photography from a Spider. May not be the sharpest shot since I was hand holding and I shot it at F/16. The point is to get feedback so I can improve my macro shooting. I also photograph diverse wildlife and birds.

Equipment:

  1. Canon 90D
  2. Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC
  3. Raynox DCR-250 Macro conversion lens
  4. TTL 600 Godox Flash shot wireless with diffuser on.

Edited in Lightroom and Topaz Denoise AI.

Location: North Pacific of Costa Rica. (No ID, I believe is a Wolf Spider)

You are right, this is a female wolf spider, appears to be of Hogna genus, but I am not a scientist.

Since you asked for feedback, you might want to consider a crop and removing the excess upper/left area of the image, like so:

This would make your subject's interesting core details the more noticeable:

From there (and this is a personal choice), I would remove the "red color wash" from the entire image, while trying to keep the animal's own authentic color intact. Below may not be perfect (and others may disagree with the premise in general), but this is what I mean by removing "the red color wash":

To my eye, the color of the wolf spider is true, but the "red wash" is removed from the overall image. I am sure the coloration could be tweaked more perfectly than what I've done, but this is just a quick fix to give you an idea.

Everything else about the image is excellent (focus, lack of noise, etc.), so it seems to me you very familiar with shooting in general.

One more thing: although one user said, "Always use flash," I completely disagree: use beautiful natural light, whenever possible. I do agree that some subjects demand the use of flash, due to movement. I also agree, when hand-holding, it's probably best to use flash.

However, wolf spiders (crab spiders, sometimes lynx spiders, etc.) will often sit completely motionless. So, with a tripod, and by dropping the shutter, you can obtain some really nice, clear shots in natural light ... that will give you a range of colors that are a bit more subtle.

Happy shooting,

Thanks for your feedback! I will shoot on natural light always that I could for sure; in this specific case I found this little guy at night, so that, I deployed my flash and diffuser.

I just purchased  this week a Laowa 100mm since I've seen great reviews and recommendations about it. Looking forward to go the mountains and shoot some insects, frogs and reptiles with the new family member 

I'll be sharing more images as soon as the lockdown is over down here in Costa Rica. 

Best,

Kevin

OP kpr1291 Forum Member • Posts: 52
Re: My first Macro shot feedback

Miroslav_1 wrote:

Agree with all. For my taste I would add eye edit too. The small grey squares would convert into disc.

Very well done for 1st macro shot.

Hey, thanks!

How do you do that eye edit? Is there any tutorial?

Thanks,

Kevin

John Koerner
John Koerner Contributing Member • Posts: 664
Re: My first Macro shot feedback

kpr1291 wrote:

Thanks for your feedback! I will shoot on natural light always that I could for sure; in this specific case I found this little guy at night, so that, I deployed my flash and diffuser.

Makes sense!

I just purchased this week a Laowa 100mm since I've seen great reviews and recommendations about it. Looking forward to go the mountains and shoot some insects, frogs and reptiles with the new family member

I absolutely love the Laowa 100; I think it is the most useful, versatile "pure macro" lens for arthropods. The images are clear, sharp, CA-corrected ... and the ability to go 2x is invaluable ... especially with enough focal length to allow you to do so in natural light. I think you will love it.

I'll be sharing more images as soon as the lockdown is over down here in Costa Rica.

Best,

Kevin

Best to you as well!

I will be going to Thailand (another cornucopia, like Costa Rica), and I wish you great luck in finding some cool stuff

Jack

-- hide signature --
 John Koerner's gear list:John Koerner's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 +19 more
Miroslav_1
Miroslav_1 Regular Member • Posts: 240
Re: Eye Edit

kpr1291 wrote:

How do you do that eye edit?

If unnatural reflections or shapes are visible in eye I do animal eye edit in Photoshop. Sometimes the edit can help to improve the sense of eye contact with animal too. Furthermore in some cases the dust spots can be removed too.

I hope you won't mind me using your picture. For my taste, due to square shape I would edit 2 big eyes only. The rest of small eyes could be acceptable.

Steps for 1 eye:

  1. Create mask, fill dark brown (for instance Eyedropper + Paint Bucket Tools). Below is the result with mask turned on.


  2. Deselect mask, create new layer. Create new elliptic mask for the center of eye. Adjust the edge of the mask (play at least with Shift Edge and Feather mask properties). Fill with white color.
  3. Create 3rd layer. Do point 2 again but this time create a larger elliptic mask.
  4. Play with opacity and brightness of 2 layers. Below is photo at this stage.

  5. To change eye contact, play with the moving of layers.
  6. To remove dust spots I use Spot Healing Brush Tool. The result is:

I'm just in transition from Photoshop CS6 to Photoshop CC. Some more simple or efficient tools could be available in CC too. After some experience the edit takes for sure less than 5 minutes for 2 eyes.

Hope it helps and other members can give more tips or opinion too. Sorry for my bad English.

 Miroslav_1's gear list:Miroslav_1's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony a7S III Sony a1
OP kpr1291 Forum Member • Posts: 52
Re: Eye Edit

Miroslav_1 wrote:

kpr1291 wrote:

How do you do that eye edit?

If unnatural reflections or shapes are visible in eye I do animal eye edit in Photoshop. Sometimes the edit can help to improve the sense of eye contact with animal too. Furthermore in some cases the dust spots can be removed too.

I hope you won't mind me using your picture. For my taste, due to square shape I would edit 2 big eyes only. The rest of small eyes could be acceptable.

Steps for 1 eye:

  1. Create mask, fill dark brown (for instance Eyedropper + Paint Bucket Tools). Below is the result with mask turned on.

  2. Deselect mask, create new layer. Create new elliptic mask for the center of eye. Adjust the edge of the mask (play at least with Shift Edge and Feather mask properties). Fill with white color.
  3. Create 3rd layer. Do point 2 again but this time create a larger elliptic mask.
  4. Play with opacity and brightness of 2 layers. Below is photo at this stage.

  5. To change eye contact, play with the moving of layers.
  6. To remove dust spots I use Spot Healing Brush Tool. The result is:

I'm just in transition from Photoshop CS6 to Photoshop CC. Some more simple or efficient tools could be available in CC too. After some experience the edit takes for sure less than 5 minutes for 2 eyes.

Hope it helps and other members can give more tips or opinion too. Sorry for my bad English.

Hi Miroslav,

Thanks for your taking your time on doing this! Very nice explanation, I will have to download PS since I currently only use LR but I am aware that I need may some tools from PS as well in order to improve my editing skills.

Your english is fine, I am not native either and understood everything with no problem.

Thanks,

Kevin

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads