Recommendations svp - best android photo phone

Started Mar 20, 2020 | Discussions
MattieUK Forum Member • Posts: 66
Recommendations svp - best android photo phone

My phone mic has just given up so I'm in the market for a new phone, and thought I'd look for a phone with a decent camera for once - my old Land Rover/Bullitt phone was rugged but the camera pretty hopeless.

I've not really followed this market, so any advice for decent phones with good cameras  gratefully received - I'm keen not to break bank so around £500 as a budget, and I'd prefer something relatively compact but not that fussed by specs otherwise (assuming all would have decent screens and bluetooth for music etc).  I'd prefer android as an OS though.

(I'm quite partial to Sony phones so would look very favourably on any Xperia models, however I've heard mixed things about them )

Jostian
Jostian Veteran Member • Posts: 4,586
Re: Recommendations svp - best android photo phone

MattieUK wrote:

My phone mic has just given up so I'm in the market for a new phone, and thought I'd look for a phone with a decent camera for once - my old Land Rover/Bullitt phone was rugged but the camera pretty hopeless.

I've not really followed this market, so any advice for decent phones with good cameras gratefully received - I'm keen not to break bank so around £500 as a budget, and I'd prefer something relatively compact but not that fussed by specs otherwise (assuming all would have decent screens and bluetooth for music etc). I'd prefer android as an OS though.

(I'm quite partial to Sony phones so would look very favourably on any Xperia models, however I've heard mixed things about them )

Xperias have always had poor processing, the new 1 and 5 are better with Sony having sorted out the processing but both are above $500.

Huawei have the best IQ and if you could get your hands on a P20 Pro (think you can still find them new) you'd be well pleased IQ wise, they also has really great battery life and are well built, getting used to the slightly different EMUI 'skin' they use over Android takes a bit of time to get used to but after a few days you'll have no issues. Samsung S9 range is another option but the IQ cannot match watch you can get from the P20 Pro, the S9 range is very nicely built though. Those are your best options IQ wise.

Or you may want to try a XZ2 or XZ3 from Sony, their IQ is not bad (not on the level of the Xperia 1 or 5) but better than previous Xperia's, Xperia phones are always well built to, so you have some choices. Go to GSMArena.com and compare a few to see.

-- hide signature --
 Jostian's gear list:Jostian's gear list
Sony a9 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III +4 more
Richard_CC Regular Member • Posts: 288

I had a Huawei P10, very impressed buy sadly cracked the screen badly after 2 years - first time I have broken a phone.   I also looked at the c.£500 price point and for camera ability it came down to the Huawei  Mate 20 pro or the P30.  The P30  (not pro, just plain old P30)  suited me better as a work phone as well as a camera -  size, screen, shape just felt better for me.

And I'm astonished how good the camera is.....

PhotoFactor Veteran Member • Posts: 3,806

Pixel 3a if you want to pay less and have a great (but single focal length) camera. Not sure what country you are in, this is true for the US.

PhotoFactor's gear list:PhotoFactor's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a6400 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN 7artisans 25mm F1.8 +3 more
RayUK Senior Member • Posts: 1,050

The consensus on here seems to be that the Huawei P30 Pro is the best camera phone so far produced. It is about to be replaced by the P40, so prices are diving. Guessing you’re in the UK, Amazon UK have several partner vendors offering the phone for around £580, with the price changing daily. They also have a number of nearly New examples for around £480. That’s what I’ll be going for when my current contract ends in a month or two.

RayUK's gear list:RayUK's gear list
Canon EOS R5
Sactojim Veteran Member • Posts: 8,422

RayUK wrote:

The consensus on here seems to be that the Huawei P30 Pro is the best camera phone so far produced. It is about to be replaced by the P40, so prices are diving. Guessing you’re in the UK, Amazon UK have several partner vendors offering the phone for around £580, with the price changing daily. They also have a number of nearly New examples for around £480. That’s what I’ll be going for when my current contract ends in a month or two.

Huawei has dismal customer service and if you ever need repair/replacement, you will curse the day you bought it. Corrupt Chinese company that's working with their govt.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/national-security/u-s-officials-using-huawei-tech-opens-door-chinese-spying-n1136956

http://theconversation.com/whats-wrong-with-huawei-and-why-are-countries-banning-the-chinese-telecommunications-firm-109036

Jostian

Sactojim wrote:

RayUK wrote:

Huawei has dismal customer service and if you ever need repair/replacement, you will curse the day you bought it.

Customer service was excellent here in SA when I needed it, and you get free screen replacement

Corrupt Chinese company that's working with their govt.

Only the USA thinks so, even the UK has allowed Huawei to work on their 5G networks, luckily the world is made up of a few more countries than just the USA, who are the ONLY country to have banned Huawei phones, just to save their own brands' market share.

And given their are 80 odd 'developed countries' in the world, the fact that trumps' USA is the only one to ban them says more about the USA than Huawei. Also, every OEM has a backdoor etc. but there was and has been NO evidence of any data actually going out the 'back door' on any Huawei phone...

Its a trade issue, trump admitted as much when he said the Huawei ban could be lifted if the trade deal(s) between China and USA gave him what he wanted... so, security is just a smokescreen!

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/national-security/u-s-officials-using-huawei-tech-opens-door-chinese-spying-n1136956

http://theconversation.com/whats-wrong-with-huawei-and-why-are-countries-banning-the-chinese-telecommunications-firm-109036

-- hide signature --
Sony a9 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III +4 more

Agree with Jostian. Huawei might overtake Apple in global phone sales so had to be stopped.  All the noise about customer service and so on is likely highly subjective and based on a small number of experiences - as they are not officially allowed to sell in the USA then they are hardly likely to have a proper customer service offer.

OP is in the UK, as am I.  No experience of customer service here  because I haven't had to use it,  the P10 was faultless as is the P30.  I dropped the P10 about 10ft/9m onto a concrete slab, cracked screen on one corner but still worked for a few months while I decided what to do.  My daughter has a P10 and before that used a much cheaper Y series for 2 or 3 years without problems.

I chose not to get a P30 pro simply because its a bit too big for my liking and at the time was expensive.  Personal thing.  You will be OK with the P30 and P30 pro, but the Mate 30 pro and presumably soon to arrive P40 won't have access to playstore after the Trump 'trade policy by tweet'  restrictions.  May not be an issue for you, for me the ability to connect to my car screen using Android Auto is important.  Not sure if Huawei's non playstore equivalent would be compatible .

Jostian

Richard_CC wrote:

Agree with Jostian. Huawei might overtake Apple in global phone sales so had to be stopped. All the noise about customer service and so on is likely highly subjective and based on a small number of experiences - as they are not officially allowed to sell in the USA then they are hardly likely to have a proper customer service offer.

OP is in the UK, as am I. No experience of customer service here because I haven't had to use it, the P10 was faultless as is the P30. I dropped the P10 about 10ft/9m onto a concrete slab, cracked screen on one corner but still worked for a few months while I decided what to do. My daughter has a P10 and before that used a much cheaper Y series for 2 or 3 years without problems.

I chose not to get a P30 pro simply because its a bit too big for my liking and at the time was expensive. Personal thing. You will be OK with the P30 and P30 pro, but the Mate 30 pro and presumably soon to arrive P40 won't have access to playstore after the Trump 'trade policy by tweet' restrictions. May not be an issue for you, for me the ability to connect to my car screen using Android Auto is important. Not sure if Huawei's non playstore equivalent would be compatible .

Thanks, agree, the P30 Pro is the best camera phone I've had, and ve gone through a few in the last 6 months (S10+, Mate 20 Pro, iPhone Xs, P20 Pro, Note 9) mainly due to the ability of Huawei (the only OEM that does this) to get jpegs directly from the RAW file when shooting in RAW mode with RAW enabled. These jpegs bypass the camera processing.

When one compares the auto mode jpegs from the Huawei, they are similar (a little less processed, but its negligible) to other OEMs, but the ability I mention above is a game changer, to get great jpegs directly from RAW that look way more natural,is a big advantage. See crop below, top is from P30 Pro in auto mode, bottom is also from P30 Pro but comes from the jpeg from RAW in Pro mode, massive difference.

auto mode on left, jpeg from RAW on right, brickwork looks way more natural on the right.

-- hide signature --
Patrick T. Kelly Veteran Member • Posts: 4,343

I've had Pixel and while the image quality and software are excellent the single camera sucks. I decided not to get a Pixel 4 and switched to a P30 pro. For me, photography is fun again. I don't want to haul big cameras and lenses around.

You said nothing about what you do with the camera but the Pixel 3a or soon to be Pixel 4a would be nice. The Huawei P30, not pro, is nice and is cheap now as is the OnePlus 7t. You have to work now to get a cell phone with a bad camera.

If I were in the market right now I'd probably go OnePlus 7t.

-- hide signature --

Patrick T. Kelly
Oaxaca, Mexico

Amazon U.K. price today is down to £499, or £524 with a better amazon partner. If the OP has £500 to spend, and the camera is the main object, there’s no point looking at anything else IMHO.

Canon EOS R5

Jostian wrote:

Sactojim wrote:

RayUK wrote:

Huawei has dismal customer service and if you ever need repair/replacement, you will curse the day you bought it.

Customer service was excellent here in SA when I needed it, and you get free screen replacement

Only the USA thinks so, even the UK has allowed Huawei to work on their 5G networks, luckily the world is made up of a few more countries than just the USA, who are the ONLY country to have banned Huawei phones, just to save their own brands' market share.

And given their are 80 odd 'developed countries' in the world, the fact that trumps' USA is the only one to ban them says more about the USA than Huawei. Also, every OEM has a backdoor etc. but there was and has been NO evidence of any data actually going out the 'back door' on any Huawei phone...

Its a trade issue, trump admitted as much when he said the Huawei ban could be lifted if the trade deal(s) between China and USA gave him what he wanted... so, security is just a smokescreen!

If you trust the Chinese, you are out of touch. Sorry, it has nothing to do with any "trade deals" and why Huawei has been fined millions of dollars by the US and other countries.

"As of December 12, 2019, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Taiwan and the U.S. have decided to ban and phase out the company's products within their mobile networks. Meanwhile, the UK has banned the company from contributing core parts to 5G technology, cutting Huawei's share in the country's new network to 35 percent".

https://www.statista.com/chart/17528/countries-which-have-banned-huawei-products/

Jostian

Sactojim wrote:

Jostian wrote:

Sactojim wrote:

RayUK wrote:

If you trust the Chinese, you are out of touch. Sorry, it has nothing to do with any "trade deals" and why Huawei has been fined millions of dollars by the US and other countries.

"As of December 12, 2019, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Taiwan and the U.S. have decided to ban and phase out the company's products within their mobile networks. Meanwhile, the UK has banned the company from contributing core parts to 5G technology, cutting Huawei's share in the country's new network to 35 percent".

and yet not completely banned, and never any evidence of backdoor data only the potential thereof, same as other OEMs, I trust the Chinbese as much as trust the yanks...their record of espionage, antitrust, etc etc over the decades speaks for itself.

https://www.statista.com/chart/17528/countries-which-have-banned-huawei-products/

-- hide signature --
OP MattieUK Forum Member • Posts: 66

Thanks to all for recommendations, I'll take a look at the Huawei and see how the prices for P30 and P30 pro stack up.

I'm a bit concerned that it might not be able to access the play store  - for what it's worth, I've always been amazed Apple and google are allowed to operate such closed markets, but it is what it is.

Is the P30 likely to suffer this lockout, or just P40 (i.e. is the potential block for all Huawei?)

The bans on Huawei in 5G infrastructure has little to do with mobile phones and a lot to do with pressure from the US, both commercial and diplomatic, all stemming from Trumps trade wars. In the UK, the elected MPs most opposed to Huawei are, unsurprisingly, right wing free marketeers who are anti EU and pro USA trade deals.

The EU has censured, fined or demanded changed practices from both Apple and MIcrosoft for various data and anti-competitive actions in recent years.  No-one is 'clean'.

With Android running on Huawei you can assume that both the USA and China can spy on you if they want, double bonus. Surveillance cameras everywhere have already got you.

If any of this bothers you, don't buy a mobile phone nor a camera with GPS nor store anything in the cloud. Stay indoors, wear a mask and learn to paint and shout so you can communicate.

The simple answer is forget the politics, buy the phone you want.

The p30 can access play store. Don’t think the p40 can at launch

Canon EOS R5
Jostian

Richard_CC wrote:

The bans on Huawei in 5G infrastructure has little to do with mobile phones and a lot to do with pressure from the US, both commercial and diplomatic, all stemming from Trumps trade wars. In the UK, the elected MPs most opposed to Huawei are, unsurprisingly, right wing free marketeers who are anti EU and pro USA trade deals.

The EU has censured, fined or demanded changed practices from both Apple and MIcrosoft for various data and anti-competitive actions in recent years. No-one is 'clean'.

With Android running on Huawei you can assume that both the USA and China can spy on you if they want, double bonus. Surveillance cameras everywhere have already got you.

If any of this bothers you, don't buy a mobile phone nor a camera with GPS nor store anything in the cloud. Stay indoors, wear a mask and learn to paint and shout so you can communicate.

thanks, very well put!

-- hide signature --

Richard_CC wrote:

The EU has censured, fined or demanded changed practices from both Apple and MIcrosoft for various data and anti-competitive actions in recent years. No-one is 'clean'.

Best you educate yourself about this fraud company and arm of the Chinese government. It's not only the US that's barred them, it's others across the globe too.

https://qz.com/1535995/the-full-list-of-crimes-huawei-is-accused-of-committing-by-the-us/

Scum bag company who got nailed for their crimes.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/diplomacy/article/3045649/canada-says-huaweis-meng-wanzhou-defrauded-hsbc

Panino Manino
Panino Manino Regular Member • Posts: 414

Richard_CC wrote:

Agree with Jostian. Huawei might overtake Apple in global phone sales so had to be stopped.

Xiaomi just overtook Huawei during this crysis.

Sactojim wrote:

Is not a matter of trusting the chinese government or not, it's more "do you care? How much will it really affect you?" Because for most of the world THE ENEMY is NOT China, is the USA.
I known for a fact that your country (are you a murrican?) attacked mine. We know for a fact that the USA is trying to get into every computer in the world. What's the point in avoiding a chinese phone because of the "risks" while buying electronics from companies that cooperate with the USA government?

I would gladly buy as many chinese products if this helps then to fμ©k with the USA.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads