Is the D780 still a good camera in 2020?

Started 7 months ago | Polls
RedFox88 Forum Pro • Posts: 30,022
Re: Is the D780 still a good camera in 2020?

Mark Scott Abeln wrote:

RedFox88 wrote:

Mark Scott Abeln wrote:

I am very happy with my D750 so far. My question is, do I get the shutter repaired, and if so, how much would I expect to pay?

A lot less than a new camera 🙄🤔

Actually, repairs aren’t available at any price now—Nikon shot down their service centers.

Then wait for them to reopen 🤔

FocusOnChange New Member • Posts: 10
Repair yours(when service is available again).

Despite being relatively new to Nikon and professional photography(Canon user for many years), one thing I can say with confidence is that the d750, despite it's age, is still a very relevant body.  I have yet to read anything to the contrary that isn't picking nits.  I love mine.  I use it for real estate/architechtural/design photography and it is great.  I'm the only restriction, not the camera.  The dynamic range of the sensor and 24Mp image size works really well for what we do.  But I'm sure you already know that.

I will likely just get mine repaired, depending on when that's needed and if still possible.  I've only had mine a year and about 10k actuations.  I am interested in the mirrorless direction in which the market is heading but the only things that I would want in a newer camera are an EVF(which isn't that important) and most importantly a sensor with a greater dynamic range.  Nikon hasn't put out anything yet that's got me interested and I'm not wanting to switch systems.

Mark Scott Abeln
OP Mark Scott Abeln Forum Pro • Posts: 15,692

RedFox88 wrote:

Then wait for them to reopen 🤔

That’s what I plan to do. For now, I’m using my old D7000.

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +2 more
JohnnyLuddite Senior Member • Posts: 1,238

You didn't offer the option of self-repair: clearly, the obvious solution is to spray the shutter with WD-40.

OK, I think your joke was better.

What's your shutter count, I didn't see it? Assuming your D750 is worth more than the likely repair cost, then you can repair and continue to use the D750.

JohnnyLuddite's gear list:JohnnyLuddite's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +2 more
Mark Scott Abeln

JohnnyLuddite wrote:

You didn't offer the option of self-repair: clearly, the obvious solution is to spray the shutter with WD-40.

After I give the sensor a good soap and water scrub.

OK, I think your joke was better.

What's your shutter count, I didn't see it? Assuming your D750 is worth more than the likely repair cost, then you can repair and continue to use the D750.

It has about 13,500 activations, which is surprisingly low to me, but then again I haven't done work on any projects lately.

Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +2 more
LordKOTL
LordKOTL Senior Member • Posts: 1,541

I personally would repair the shutter.  There's nothing on the D780 that is compelling vs. the pricepoint of a shutter repair...if one can be cone amidst the COVID-19 debacle.

The other option I'd consider is springing for the D850--because *that* is a clear upgrade.

My $0.02.  No refunds

-- hide signature --

There's no shame in using auto or semiauto modes--no matter what the salesdroids at Best Buy tell you.

LordKOTL's gear list:LordKOTL's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G +3 more
mgblack74 Contributing Member • Posts: 896
What about a free shutter?

RedFox88 wrote:

nbirkett wrote:

Personally, if I were considering the D780 instead of another D750, I would pay the extra 30% and get a D850 ($1,500 vs $2,300 vs $3,000).

Or pay just $250 for a new shutter 🤦‍♂️🙄

Or not. The D750 shutter advisory shutter replacement has no expiry date. The OP could go online and see if his D750's serial number coincides with the advisory if it hasn't been done already. If the shutter hasn't been replaced yet under the advisory, boom, free shutter. Seeing  that it's 5 years old, I would say there is a high chance it could be eligible. The only problem right now is the closure of Nikon repair facilities due to Covid-19.

mgblack74's gear list:mgblack74's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 Nikon Z 85mm F1.8 Nikon Z 24-70mm F2.8
User4286416121 Contributing Member • Posts: 632

Good catch on the replacement shutter. Even if it costs some still worth it. Iirc there is still one Nikon repair center you can ship too. Now where did I read that. Oops that was Canon.

stevef1961
stevef1961 Senior Member • Posts: 2,452

Mark Scott Abeln wrote:

OK, that is a joke.

What's not a joke is that the shutter on my D750, purchased in 2015, is starting to fail. At certain shutter speeds, a white arc is plainly visible in many photos:

I am very happy with my D750 so far. My question is, do I get the shutter repaired, and if so, how much would I expect to pay?

Or are there clear advantages and disadvantages to something else? Something inexpensive, that is. I do have a lot of F mount lenses.

Back when I got the D750, it was clearly my best option at that price point, and I didn't need to even consider anything else. Nowadays, things are not quite so easy.

I mainly do architectural photography, and so fast frame rates and autofocus aren't needed for my kind of work.

I had that same problem four years ago shortly after i bought mine.  It’s caused by a missing rivet on the arm that opens and closes the shutter.  Nikon replaced my shutter assembly and then two years later my newish shutter started sticking occasionally and progressively got worse.  Until two weeks ago when i replaced the 750 with a D500.

stevef1961's gear list:stevef1961's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon 24mm F1.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +1 more
Ken Seals
Ken Seals Senior Member • Posts: 1,293

The nice thing about a shutter replacement service at Nikon, they will check all functions and clean the sensor. You will have a camera that's like new.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Ken - LR ACE
FAA Remote Pilot Certificate, ATP ASMEL
Mizzou PJ '66
www.kenseals.com

Ken Seals's gear list:Ken Seals's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +7 more
Mark Scott Abeln
Update

Nikon finally reopened their service centers in the US, and I shipped them my D750 with the defective shutter.

Nikon sent me back an estimate, which included this:

"REPAIR PRODUCT TO GOOD WORKING ORDER SHUTTER REPAIR DONE AT NO CHARGE FOR GOODWILL"
I wasn't expecting free service at all, as the camera was not subject to the recalls. I highly commend Nikon for doing this.

TacticDesigns
TacticDesigns Veteran Member • Posts: 7,702
Re: Update

Mark Scott Abeln wrote:

Nikon finally reopened their service centers in the US, and I shipped them my D750 with the defective shutter.

"REPAIR PRODUCT TO GOOD WORKING ORDER SHUTTER REPAIR DONE AT NO CHARGE FOR GOODWILL"
I wasn't expecting free service at all, as the camera was not subject to the recalls. I highly commend Nikon for doing this.

+1

That is great news!

Happy to hear it worked out for you!

Take care & Happy Shooting!

-- hide signature --
 TacticDesigns's gear list:TacticDesigns's gear list
Fujifilm XP80 Nikon D5100 Pentax Q Nikon D750 Nikon D7000 +9 more
Mark Scott Abeln

TacticDesigns wrote:

+1

That is great news!

Happy to hear it worked out for you!

Take care & Happy Shooting!

I haven't got it back yet, but I'm quite pleased.

mgblack74 Contributing Member • Posts: 896

Mark Scott Abeln wrote:

I wasn't expecting free service at all, as the camera was not subject to the recalls. I highly commend Nikon for doing this.

“I tol you mang” :-). Glad it all worked out!

mgblack74's gear list:mgblack74's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 Nikon Z 85mm F1.8 Nikon Z 24-70mm F2.8
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads