DSLR/mirrorless just for vlogging

Started Mar 18, 2020 | Discussions
blackstrat
blackstrat New Member • Posts: 16
DSLR/mirrorless just for vlogging

Hi all

I have a Sony A600 since 2015, it's a great mirrorless camera, I use it for photos and astrophoto timelapses, BUT the lack of a full tiltable screen it's awful while vlogging.

I used to place a portable mirror behind the camera to see where is pointing to, but it's a makeshift solution. I spend a lot of time filming, stopping the recording, turning the camera, playing to see what have been recorded, turning back the camera, adjusting it, recording again....

Now I want to film me more seriously and more frequently, so I need a full tiltable screen. I'm tired of spending more time finding the right shot, rather than filming me.

So I'm searching a new DSLR/ML camera to use it just for vlogging at home. I have no intention of reselling the Sony A6000, I'll continue use it for photos and timelapses because I love its photo performances and the compact size.

Another Sony camera it's out of question, because even on the A7 and A7R DSLRs, the tilt screen is similar to my A600. The A6400 and the A5100 only flip the screen to 180°.

The Nikon DSLRs are not so good for videos, due to AF slowness and noises. Moreover, with the exceptions of some particular models like the D5300, most of the Nikon have a fixed screen. Not tiltable or flipable at all.

My main choice seems to be a Canon. I see a lot of new models like 200D, 250D, M50, with dual pixels AF that promise to be superfast, but I'm out of DSLRs/mirrorless market from years, so I have a lot of confusion.

I condesidered the Lumix G7 from Panasonic and the Canon G7 MKII also, two classics for vlogging, but how about their AF performances? Are they reliable? Are they noisy?

I will use it 100% of time at home, while playing guitars, keyoboards, bass, so no outdoor use.

I'm not searching the 4K at all costs, because it will slow down my videoediting workflow. Even if this new camera has 4K, I'll shot at 1080p to have smaller videos and keep the rendering times as low as possible.

Just a high video quality and a fast and realiable AF system. 500-600$ maximum budget (less is better)..

Any other advices is welcome. For example, I realized I didn't consider Olympus or Fuji...

Thanks a lot for help.

OpticsEngineer Veteran Member • Posts: 6,899
Re: DSLR/mirrorless just for vlogging

Go to www.cameralabs.com and read the article on best camera for vlogging. I found it informative and kind of surprising actually. Gordon makes a lot if videos so he speaks from experience

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Fujifilm XF1 Canon PowerShot G7 X Olympus Tough TG-4 Sony SLT-A65 +27 more
csnite
csnite Regular Member • Posts: 153

It would seem like a Canon M50 would be just about perfect for you. It's in your price range, the 15-45 that comes with it may not be the greatest lens, but for vlogging it would be fine and totally silent for video. It has a great little screen that fully articulates AF in 1080 is great, and maybe most importantly, the colors are far superior to the a6000, important if you aren't doing massive color grading. If you don't use a mic, consider the Rhode micro, I have found it very good for live music recording in my home. I initially discounted the M system for lack of lenses, but they have most of what I would need natively and anything I could ever want via a cheap adapter and EF lenses. For a step up, I would consider the Fuji X-t200 with a similar screen. It also shoots 4k, which might be a little safer for "future-proofing." Just understand that the body is already more expensive and the lenses are considerably more expensive than M lenses or older EF lenses.

csnite's gear list:csnite's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Fujifilm X-T200 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XC 35mm F2 Fujifilm 50-230mm II
beagle1 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,181

blackstrat wrote:

Hi all

I have a Sony A600 since 2015, it's a great mirrorless camera, I use it for photos and astrophoto timelapses, BUT the lack of a full tiltable screen it's awful while vlogging.

I used to place a portable mirror behind the camera to see where is pointing to, but it's a makeshift solution. I spend a lot of time filming, stopping the recording, turning the camera, playing to see what have been recorded, turning back the camera, adjusting it, recording again....

Now I want to film me more seriously and more frequently, so I need a full tiltable screen. I'm tired of spending more time finding the right shot, rather than filming me.

So I'm searching a new DSLR/ML camera to use it just for vlogging at home. I have no intention of reselling the Sony A6000, I'll continue use it for photos and timelapses because I love its photo performances and the compact size.

Another Sony camera it's out of question, because even on the A7 and A7R DSLRs, the tilt screen is similar to my A600. The A6400 and the A5100 only flip the screen to 180°.

The Nikon DSLRs are not so good for videos, due to AF slowness and noises. Moreover, with the exceptions of some particular models like the D5300, most of the Nikon have a fixed screen. Not tiltable or flipable at all.

My main choice seems to be a Canon. I see a lot of new models like 200D, 250D, M50, with dual pixels AF that promise to be superfast, but I'm out of DSLRs/mirrorless market from years, so I have a lot of confusion.

I condesidered the Lumix G7 from Panasonic and the Canon G7 MKII also, two classics for vlogging, but how about their AF performances? Are they reliable? Are they noisy?

I will use it 100% of time at home, while playing guitars, keyoboards, bass, so no outdoor use.

I'm not searching the 4K at all costs, because it will slow down my videoediting workflow. Even if this new camera has 4K, I'll shot at 1080p to have smaller videos and keep the rendering times as low as possible.

Just a high video quality and a fast and realiable AF system. 500-600$ maximum budget (less is better)..

Any other advices is welcome. For example, I realized I didn't consider Olympus or Fuji...

Thanks a lot for help.

the latest Canon mirrorless models should be good for vlogging -  M50, M6ii  etc  but good lenses may go over the budget

I use the older Canon M5 mirrorless

www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Gordon Laing - Camera Labs
Gordon Laing - Camera Labs Regular Member • Posts: 318

Thanks for the recommendation! As I said in my guide, the EOS M50 is hard to beat, so long as you get a stabilised lens, although if you do a loot of walking and talking, the DJI Osmo Pocket is quite remarkable.

blackstrat
OP blackstrat New Member • Posts: 16

Gordon Laing - Camera Labs wrote:

Thanks for the recommendation! As I said in my guide, the EOS M50 is hard to beat, so long as you get a stabilised lens, although if you do a loot of walking and talking, the DJI Osmo Pocket is quite remarkable.

Hi Gordon, great YT channel, I visited it after the guys recommended it to me, a lot of useful informations!

The stabilization in my case is not important, because I would use it 100% connected to a tripod or to a magic arm for overhead photography. No walking at all. The typical scenario I would use this camera is something like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91si6_vnHjc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SxRQEh3twY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHD-Lpgz8R4

I probably used the wrong word: vlogging intended as me shooting myself, not me walking around and talking to the camera.

Me too I think the best choice is the EOS M50, but I read many complaints about the battery life. Do you racommend me a second or a third battery to shoot without long interruptions?

beagle1 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,181

blackstrat wrote:

Gordon Laing - Camera Labs wrote:

Hi Gordon, great YT channel, I visited it after the guys recommended it to me, a lot of useful informations!

The stabilization in my case is not important, because I would use it 100% connected to a tripod or to a magic arm for overhead photography. No walking at all. The typical scenario I would use this camera is something like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91si6_vnHjc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SxRQEh3twY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHD-Lpgz8R4

I probably used the wrong word: vlogging intended as me shooting myself, not me walking around and talking to the camera.

Me too I think the best choice is the EOS M50, but I read many complaints about the battery life. Do you racommend me a second or a third battery to shoot without long interruptions?

you can get USB battery plug-ins for unlimited battery life

but yes, the batteries for mirrorless are smaller and have a more limited capacity

ken_in_nh Senior Member • Posts: 1,204

You should always have a spare battery or two.  Even Canon's own are cheap compared to missing something important.  Personally, I use third party as well as Canon batteries with no problem  at all.  Wasabi batteries are in the 25 usd range.

StoneJack Contributing Member • Posts: 803

Nikon Z50 is perfect as a video camera for vlogging and also is an excellent travel, portrait, video and photo camera.

StoneJack's gear list:StoneJack's gear list
Nikon D7500 Nikon Z6 Nikon 10-20mm F4.5-5.6 VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +5 more
davidedric Veteran Member • Posts: 6,456
Re: Or even.....

Have a look at a Sony Cybershot.  I have the RX100 vii.  The AF is remarkable, and it now has a mic socket, unlike earlier models.

I don't vlog, so I can't comment on whether a 20mp 1" sensor will do the job, but the stacked sensor does give it some clever high speed tricks as well as, for me, entirely satisfactory image quality

davidedric's gear list:davidedric's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +3 more

Yeah, the terminology can be confusing! For me if you're facing the camera, then you're doing a 'piece to camera' and you'll ideally want a flip-screen and reliable face-detect autofocus. The M50 will give you that plus the mic input which will be critical for your music recording. Vlogging is a subset of pieces-to-camera which are - in my view - more casual, often handheld and often while walking. So in addition to a flip screen and good AF, you'd need decent stabilisation and a wideish lens, but for your application, that's not necessary. In fact from a fixed position you also have the chance to employ some different lenses and distances to achieve various effects. Have a look at my Sigma saves EOS M video where I do some pieces to camera on an M6 II using 16, 30 and 56mm lenses.

As for battery, video is power hungry, so you will burn through them. Spares are always useful, as is the ability to run off USB power. I use a Sony A6400 which has great 1080 and 4k video, great AF and the while the battery is poor, I can power it over USB. The more recent Sony A6600 had a bigger battery which recorded for ages in my tests. Sadly the M50 does not support USB power or even USB charging, so if you go for it, you'll need to buy some spare batteries. Even the latest M6 II won't support USB power.

blackstrat
OP blackstrat New Member • Posts: 16

Just got the Canon M50 +EF-M 15-45mm kit lesn, very disappointed by the video performances. Even at moderate ISO, like 3200 or 1600, the video is remarkably grainy. I used full aperture on lens (f/3.5) and 15mm focal lenght.

For comparison, I shoot under the same light with my A6000 + 16-50mm kit lens, definitely better. The image quality is far superior, no noise at all, very clear.

It's incredible...a 2018 APS-C Canon camera, can't handle 3200 ISO!!

Is there a way to remove video noise or not? I have seen a lot of videos on youtube about video settings and cinema look for the M50, but most of them are focused on buttons personalization and AF/MF settings.

I don't know what to do now...

If I won't find a solution, I'll resell the camera and get another Sony APS-C mirrorless with flipable screen, probably somenthing in the A6100-A6400 range. Not articulate, but at least it's an improvement over the fixed A6000 screen, and I'm 100% sure about the video quality.

I'm reconsidering the Lumix G7 and the Nikon APS-C also...the Nikon AF is noisy, but I'll use always external audio, so after all it's a minor problem.

StoneJack Contributing Member • Posts: 803

blackstrat wrote:

Just got the Canon M50 +EF-M 15-45mm kit lesn, very disappointed by the video performances. Even at moderate ISO, like 3200 or 1600, the video is remarkably grainy. I used full aperture on lens (f/3.5) and 15mm focal lenght.

For comparison, I shoot under the same light with my A6000 + 16-50mm kit lens, definitely better. The image quality is far superior, no noise at all, very clear.

It's incredible...a 2018 APS-C Canon camera, can't handle 3200 ISO!!

Is there a way to remove video noise or not? I have seen a lot of videos on youtube about video settings and cinema look for the M50, but most of them are focused on buttons personalization and AF/MF settings.

I don't know what to do now...

If I won't find a solution, I'll resell the camera and get another Sony APS-C mirrorless with flipable screen, probably somenthing in the A6100-A6400 range. Not articulate, but at least it's an improvement over the fixed A6000 screen, and I'm 100% sure about the video quality.

I'm reconsidering the Lumix G7 and the Nikon APS-C also...the Nikon AF is noisy, but I'll use always external audio, so after all it's a minor problem.

NIkon Z50 has much better video.

StoneJack's gear list:StoneJack's gear list
Nikon D7500 Nikon Z6 Nikon 10-20mm F4.5-5.6 VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +5 more
chrisyiuphoto Junior Member • Posts: 25

The Canon M50 seems to be a popular choice among quite a lot of YouTubers. If you are not shooting at 4K, the crop factor shouldn't affect you.

-- hide signature --

More tips and tricks for photography: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvlsG_4bnXjx-jsbsSLh-iA

chrisyiuphoto's gear list:chrisyiuphoto's gear list
Canon EOS R Sigma 24mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM

Sorry the M50 isn't working out for you. Most higher-end video editors include some noise reduction filters, but tbh I never use them as I'm normally happy with the output, but it could be worth experimenting.

If you're considering another switch and are happy with the Sony output, buy only want a tilting screen and mic input, then why not get one of the more recent models with a tilting screen? I use an A6400 for all my pieces to camera on a tripod and the quality and AF is great.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads