New and Interesting Tripod - Uniqball

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
avalvo Senior Member • Posts: 1,358
New and Interesting Tripod - Uniqball

I needed a three section tripod for a trip I had planned. When I say this, I decided to give it a try. This is a very good pod and a reasonable price for the quality and functionality you are getting.

See Review Below for a detailed description:

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/UniqBall-IQuick3Pod-40.4-Carbon-Fiber-Tripod.aspx

avalvo's gear list:avalvo's gear list
Nikon D850 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Fujifilm GFX 100
Boomanbb
Boomanbb Senior Member • Posts: 2,929
Re: New and Interesting Tripod - Uniqball

It is very nice, but reasonably priced? Clearly you are not middle class.

-- hide signature --

Ben Boozer
Disagree without being disagreeable

Boomanbb's gear list:Boomanbb's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M3 Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +14 more
Neil Schofield Contributing Member • Posts: 641

I use the three section smaller one for travelling, nice piece of kit, especially like the levelling base, bit on the short side but not with a gimbal for me

OP avalvo Senior Member • Posts: 1,358

I said reasonable for what you get.  Go and compare it to a RRS of equivalent size with a leveling base.

Boomanbb
Boomanbb Senior Member • Posts: 2,929

I understand. I have been looking at this one for a minute. Little easier on the wallet. Think Toyota vs Lexus.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1498737-REG/leofoto_ls_324cex_1520mm_minimum_height_cf.html/?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&lsft=BI%3A514&gclid=Cj0KCQjwjcfzBRCHARIsAO-1_Or0yKFXhRvI7qb9ZJ0gzp-faur1GQnPmfi8xoTLEQP6zrxKYFbTVQ8aAhtKEALw_wcB

-- hide signature --

Ben Boozer
Disagree without being disagreeable

Boomanbb's gear list:Boomanbb's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M3 Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +14 more

I like the Leophoto stuff.  The lh-55 head is a super bargain.  Long term reliability is a question, as is customer support, but my experience with the head is good.  You are always giving up a bit of something with these Chinese companies.  However, often you are at the point of diminishing returns, so in practicality the products work.

PGSanta Regular Member • Posts: 469

avalvo wrote:

I needed a three section tripod for a trip I had planned. When I say this, I decided to give it a try. This is a very good pod and a reasonable price for the quality and functionality you are getting.

See Review Below for a detailed description:

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/UniqBall-IQuick3Pod-40.4-Carbon-Fiber-Tripod.aspx

Meh.  Basically the price of an equivalent Gitzo (without the leveling base yes).  3 year warranty instead of Gitzos 10 year.  Made in China instead of Italy.

Whatever floats your boat.

PGSanta's gear list:PGSanta's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon RF 50mm F1.2L USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM
Ellis Vener
Ellis Vener Forum Pro • Posts: 13,721

Are Gitzo tripods no longer made in France? Sacré bleu!

-- hide signature --

Ellis Vener
To see my work please visit http://www.ellisvener.com
Or on instagram @therealellisv

Ellis Vener's gear list:Ellis Vener's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 +1 more

I believe the Uniqball is made in Hungray.

Cariboou
Cariboou Veteran Member • Posts: 3,184

Hi Ellis,

Yes Gitzo are now solded under Manfrotto that you know is Italian company, I had a Gitzo in aluminium in Italy that I used for 50 years, now I have a carbon Gitzo build in Italy and is a wonderful product and may be the last tripod of my life!

-- hide signature --
 Cariboou's gear list:Cariboou's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +2 more
calson Forum Pro • Posts: 10,373
super heavy and super expensive

That is a very heavy tripod and it does not collapse to be short enough for air travel unless it goes into the checked luggage. It is also grossly overpriced.

Compare it to anything from Feisol including the CT-3472 with its available quick level base and center column kit and the Feisol CT-3441T travel tripod.

-- hide signature --

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government to save the environment." Ansel Adams

calson's gear list:calson's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D850
Re: super heavy and super expensive

calson wrote:

That is a very heavy tripod and it does not collapse to be short enough for air travel unless it goes into the checked luggage. It is also grossly overpriced.

Compare it to anything from Feisol including the CT-3472 with its available quick level base and center column kit and the Feisol CT-3441T travel tripod.

My issue with Feisol is the same that I have with Sirui; namely that the primary leg angle they utilize is too narrow for the sake of an extra inch in height on the spec sheet.

Canon EOS R Canon RF 50mm F1.2L USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM

Feisol makes a good tripod, but its not on the same level as Promediagear, RRS, Jobu or Uniqball.  Heavy - depends on your needs and the support you get.  As for size, I always check the tripod in a bag with my clothes.  The camera and lenses come with me.  Also, I agree with the poster on leg angle.

avalvo wrote:

Feisol makes a good tripod, but its not on the same level as Promediagear, RRS, Jobu or Uniqball. Heavy - depends on your needs and the support you get. As for size, I always check the tripod in a bag with my clothes. The camera and lenses come with me. Also, I agree with the poster on leg angle.

It’s premature to add Uniqball to a list of tried and true brands that have been proven to manufacture and assemble their own stuff in house to high standards.

They still look like a budget slanted brand to me.  Are they buying Chinese carbon fiber or parts and assembling them in house?  Are they manufacturing everything in house?  
One of the reasons I stick to Gitzo or RRS is that you know they’ll be around 5 years from now.

Time will tell.  Agree on long term customer service.   The build quality is there, see the review earlier in the thread.  Still have my Gitzo 1548 and will never sell it.  Its a great pod, but other firms have come to market with interesting stuff.  Jobu and Promediagear are among my favorites, and the customer service is excellent.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads