No raw converter with JPEG settings?

Started Mar 17, 2020 | Discussions
Waldemar Senior Member • Posts: 1,931
No raw converter with JPEG settings?

I´ve used Nikon´s and Fuji´s own raw converters with their cameras. These converters are fast,  free and you can apply camera "looks" (basically the jpeg settings) to raw output, which was especially useful with the Fujifilm X-T2.

I like to use the b/w high contrast setting (hc) with my GR2, but it seems like Pentax / Ricoh does not offer a raw converter for GR2 files. I can´t really go "jpeg only" with the b/w hc setting, as - quite predictably - the lights are blown in many shots. So there are shots, which I´d like to underexpose and pull the shadows up in post, while still keeping the grungy b/w hc look as far as possible. I know that I could create a quite similiar look in Luminar and apply it to Ricoh´s files, but this software is so damn slow and crash-prone, I try not to use it too much.

Any solution for that? Have I overlooked something? The Silkypix 3.0 for Pentax (the last version that Ricoh offers for download) does not work with GR2 files. 
---------------------------------------------
Wald

Fujifilm X-T2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
breth Regular Member • Posts: 422
Re: No raw converter with JPEG settings?

https://silkypix.isl.co.jp/en/product/ds9/supported-cameras/#pnav

Seems to me that Silkypix Developer 9 supports the GR2

OP Waldemar Senior Member • Posts: 1,931

Yes, there is a demo I could try out and see, whether it supports the Ricoh in-camera-looks. The other (main) manufacturers all offer free raw converters which do just that.

-- hide signature --

Wald

TN Args
TN Args Veteran Member • Posts: 9,840

Waldemar wrote:

I like to use the b/w high contrast setting (hc) with my GR2, but it seems like Pentax / Ricoh does not offer a raw converter for GR2 files. I can´t really go "jpeg only" with the b/w hc setting, as - quite predictably - the lights are blown in many shots.

Can you upload raw and JPEG files of a sample image shot in raw+JPEG (JPEG being b/w hc)?

It would be helpful to see what the b/w look is like and see if any standard raw converter presets are close.

cheers

TN Args's gear list:TN Args's gear list
Sigma dp0 Quattro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M5 II Sony a7R III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +8 more
OP Waldemar Senior Member • Posts: 1,931

I´ve played around with Silkypix Developer (30 day demo) yesterday. As expected, it doesn´t offer any GR 2 presets.

What has puzzled me, I also couldn´t find any possibility to lift shadows. The Fuji (free) Silkypix version has something comparable (HDR slider and some more stuff), but not the 100 $ paid version? A raw converter in which you can´t lift shadows? Maybe I´ve just overlooked a menu, but an online search pointed to a different software version (similiar to my Fuji free version).

I´ve then opened a raw file with Luminar and tried to imitate the b/w hc setting and then saved the settings as a "Look". The Ricoh b/w hc setting produces this stunning 60´s documentary look and I couldn´t quite get that in Luminar yet. The Ricoh setting seems to add grain, clog shadows and even to soften the shot slightly, so it´s not just about pulling up the contrast slider in a b/w setting. I´ll have to spend more time in Luminar, I guess.

Right now I´ll take it for what it is and just shoot JPEGs. May be I´ll dial down the contrast somewhat.

-- hide signature --

Wald

Olifaunt Contributing Member • Posts: 819

Waldemar wrote:

I´ve played around with Silkypix Developer (30 day demo) yesterday. As expected, it doesn´t offer any GR 2 presets.

What has puzzled me, I also couldn´t find any possibility to lift shadows. The Fuji (free) Silkypix version has something comparable (HDR slider and some more stuff), but not the 100 $ paid version? A raw converter in which you can´t lift shadows? Maybe I´ve just overlooked a menu, but an online search pointed to a different software version (similiar to my Fuji free version).

I´ve then opened a raw file with Luminar and tried to imitate the b/w hc setting and then saved the settings as a "Look". The Ricoh b/w hc setting produces this stunning 60´s documentary look and I couldn´t quite get that in Luminar yet. The Ricoh setting seems to add grain, clog shadows and even to soften the shot slightly, so it´s not just about pulling up the contrast slider in a b/w setting. I´ll have to spend more time in Luminar, I guess.

Right now I´ll take it for what it is and just shoot JPEGs. May be I´ll dial down the contrast somewhat.

You can lift shadows with in-camera raw development in different ways. You can change exposure/contrast in the raw developer to an extent (after taking the shot) but this is limited. But there is also a "levels" tool in the review menu that you can apply to the shot that can lift shadows a little more than just "exposure" adjustments will let you.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads