Amazing sharpness and speed at low price

Started 7 months ago | User reviews
mcslsk Veteran Member • Posts: 5,728
Amazing sharpness and speed at low price

This lens is heavy. You can feel the glas and the metal. Yet it still handels well on the a6xxx line. Focus and aperture turn smoothly. Overall built quality is very good. The first version of this lens was somewhat disappointing when it came to sharpness away from the center. The Mark II version is now sharp across almost from f1.1! Color and bokeh is nice. It is fun to use this lens in street photography and for portraits. At f1.1 you can achieve teh same background isolation that an f1.7 lens achieves on FF. The Sigma 56f1.4 seems a tack sharper - but not by much. It is lighter and has AF. But it is Manual Focus that really makes using this lens so much fun. At this price (around €220 from the Kamlan Store) it is bargain. The Kamlan folks are very customer oriented. You receive a nice mail that the lens is on its way and they do respond if you write back.

mcslsk's gear list:mcslsk's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6500 Sony a7 III Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +55 more
Kamlan 50mm F1.1 II
Prime lens • Canon EF-M, Fujifilm X, Micro Four Thirds, Sony E
Announced: Jun 5, 2019
mcslsk's score
Average community score
soumyajit92 Regular Member • Posts: 184
Re: Amazing sharpness and speed at low price

can you post some image samples, i'm also looking at this for quite some time now, only problem is i have to import it from china which at this time isn't the best option available i guess.

EDIT: just saw your other post on meike 35 f1.4, coincidentally that one also is in my list. Here are the "cheap" manual lenses on my wishlist ...  laowa 9,  kamlan 21, kamlan 28, meike 35 1.4, kamlan 50 ii, viltrox 85, laowa 65 macro

would love to see some images made with these.

soumyajit92's gear list:soumyajit92's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS
OP mcslsk Veteran Member • Posts: 5,728

Here are some test shots. The weather has just turned to sunny and warm which will allow me to do some street photography tomorrow.

The Kamlan 28/1.4 was also well built - but the IQ towards the outer parts of the image was just not good enough. So I sent it back. That is also true for the Neewer 25/1.8 which, however, I kept because it is very small, very inexpensive and okay for images where the center is important. The Zonlai 22/1.8 is also well built, very small and thus fun to use on the a6xxx. IQ is very good though one needs to stop down to 5.6 for good sharpness towards the edges.

f 1.1

f1.4

f2

f2.8

f4

f5.6

f8

The back of the book in the center with the red letters looks not sharp. I think that this is caused by flare but will investigate further.

Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6500 Sony a7 III Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +55 more
soumyajit92 Regular Member • Posts: 184

I hear the new kamlan 21mm is sharper than zonlai 22mm. I'm waiting for the viltrox/tokina 23 to come out .... supposed to be $250 with Af and vitrox produces decent quality lenses. Or i'll go complete manual way.

soumyajit92's gear list:soumyajit92's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS
ragbasti Regular Member • Posts: 264

There is way too little about this lens online, aside from a few reviews online by the big youtube guys.

Keep more samples coming, would love to see more

-- hide signature --

If you want to experience the Dunning-Kruger effect first hand, then just join a forum debate about photography.

ragbasti's gear list:ragbasti's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR
OP mcslsk Veteran Member • Posts: 5,728

ragbasti wrote:

There is way too little about this lens online, aside from a few reviews online by the big youtube guys.

Keep more samples coming, would love to see more

Love to - unfortunately, the current lock-down is kind if limiting my ability to do that.

DeGijon Contributing Member • Posts: 824

Some photos and a review here (click on a photo to see the link to the review).

https://flickr.com/photos/thousandwordimages/albums/72157709007530148/

DeGijon's gear list:DeGijon's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony a6000 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +10 more
Tom Schum
Tom Schum Veteran Member • Posts: 9,895

KamLan 50mm F1.1 Mark II DPR sample gallery is here (click the "samples" tab):

https://www.dpreview.com/products/kamlan/lenses/kamlan_50mm_1p1_ii

My own sample gallery is here:

https://www.dpreview.com/galleries/1438043515/albums/kamlan-50mm-f1-1-ii

I prefer the Mark I (the original version) for portraiture. The muted microcontrast at all apertures gave it bad reviews but this is an excellent feature for portraiture in my opinion. You don't see all the way down every pore. Women especially like a little bit softer portrait.

Not only this, it is quite a bit smaller and lighter than the Mark II, and quite a bit less money too.

KamLan 50mm F1.1 Mark I DPR sample gallery is here:

https://www.dpreview.com/products/kamlan/lenses/kamlan_50mm_1p1

My own sample gallery is here:

https://www.dpreview.com/galleries/1438043515/albums/kamlan-50mm-f1-1-original-version

I bought both of these through Adorama.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum
Copper: Mankind's favorite electrical conductor

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Sigma dp0 Quattro Panasonic ZS100 Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma sd Quattro +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads