G1X III small holder/bag for hiking

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Xshooter Regular Member • Posts: 363
G1X III small holder/bag for hiking

Interested to know which small bags or holders you use. I got the Lowe Dashpoint20, great little bag but it is a very tight fit with G1X III inside to the extent that it will definitely require 2 hands and a struggle to extract it. I do hiking and travelling. Any other suggestions for a bag that is a good but easy fit for just the camera itself, not 3 spare batteries and filters etc, just the camera.

Xshooter's gear list:Xshooter's gear list
Canon G1 X III Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR
Canon G1 X II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Lacko Contributing Member • Posts: 662
Re: G1X III small holder/bag for hiking

For camera only I use LowePro Adventura SH 100 II.

But when travelling/hiking I need also my mobile phone, sunglasses, personal documents, sometimes also small binocular and other utilities. So I visited sport accessories shop and bought there smallest bag which fits all of that, doesn't look like photo bag, is cheap and light. From piece of foam I made an insert which guards camera from impacts.

Lacko's gear list:Lacko's gear list
Canon G1 X III Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +2 more
OP Xshooter Regular Member • Posts: 363

Any other small bag suggestions for the G1X III for hiking?

Canon G1 X III Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR
nolten Contributing Member • Posts: 561

You might look at one of these. But check the fit. I saw one at REI and thought about it to attach to my day pack. I use an OP/Tech Digital D, size small I think, for over the shoulder use and modified a slightly larger version as a pack pouch. This involved a sewing machine and neoprene cement so I'm not generally recommending it. Looking at any one of them on Amazon brings up lots of alternatives. Good luck.

nolten's gear list:nolten's gear list
Canon G1 X III Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M6 II
richsfusa Junior Member • Posts: 41

If you want the smallest possible pack, this is the one I use, and it works:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1369533-REG/tamrac_t1992_1919_pro_compact_2_camera.html

BH #TAPC2CB • MFR #T1992-1919

The camera and strap fit snugly but easily into the main compartment. The lens, which sticks out from the camera body by about an inch pushes against the front of the pack a bit, but since it is fabric and flexible, it fits. There is a pocket in front for a couple of batteries and cards. And that's about all you will get in there.

It has a sturdy belt loop.

richsfusa's gear list:richsfusa's gear list
Canon G1 X III Canon EOS 5DS

Cheers Rich I’ll maybe give that bag a go. Hope the lens isn’t compressed too much. The LowePro Dashpoint 20 just seemed a bit too tight width wise and was going to be a fight every time to remove / replace.

richsfusa Junior Member • Posts: 41

It's a little tight but still easy to get in and out.  What I find is that I use the case for storage at home, and on the way to where I'm going.  When I'm walking around or hiking I just keep the camera over one shoulder with the strap diagonally in front of me toward the opposite hip.  You don't even know you're carrying a camera, but it is there when you need it.  If you are constantly taking the camera out of the case and putting it back in, over and over, as you are hiking, then you might want something slightly larger. Also note that there are 2 sizes for this case.  I have the larger.

richsfusa's gear list:richsfusa's gear list
Canon G1 X III Canon EOS 5DS

Cheers that’s good advice 👍🏻 Also the camera has some weather resistance which helps

Twitchly
Twitchly Senior Member • Posts: 1,093

When hiking, I put it in a pocket—a coat pocket in cold months, a hiking vest pocket in warmer months.

When walking around urban areas, I put it in my purse.

-- hide signature --

Instagram: @twitchly

Twitchly's gear list:Twitchly's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW120 Canon G1 X III Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +3 more
Serhan2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,384

I use Lowepro Dashpoint 20. I found it recommended in a previous post:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60656836

Lacko Contributing Member • Posts: 662
 Lacko's gear list:Lacko's gear list
Canon G1 X III Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads