More R5 details from Canon

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Alexander Rosenwald Regular Member • Posts: 312
Re: 40MP camera

elroyie wrote:

It seems from this latest specs that the R5 is going to have a 40mp sensor, in this way the 8K video would be the sensor width without any additional process.

40 MP would not be enough for 8k. The sensor is 4:3 but 8k is 16:9. You need nearly 45 MP on a 4:3 sensor for 8k.

Alexander Rosenwald's gear list:Alexander Rosenwald's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS RP Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +11 more
Astrophotographer 10 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,839
Re: More R5 details from Canon

thunder storm wrote:

KrisAK wrote:

Interesting that Canon seems to be responding to -- and shutting down -- corners of the rumor mill. Keeping expectations in check, while fueling new ones.

That in itself seems new.

Maybe someone woke up, starting with the 24fps updates.

I can imagine someone who planned to buy into A7mkIV + lenses thinks.... "wait!".....

Yes I can see this camera (depending on price) to give Sony A7riv a serious competition.

As good as EOS R and Nikon Z cameras are they do fall seriously short of the A7riv and even A7riii.

But if this camera is as good as its being pushed to be (and now they really have heaped pressure on themselves to make sure it is) then Sony now finds itself way earlier than expected to be behind the competition and its several year head start has evaporated.

Also recently Sony seems to have slowed down its pace of innovation. No A7iv yet, no A7Siii yet.

Greg.

Astrophotographer 10's gear list:Astrophotographer 10's gear list
Sony a7R III Canon EOS Ra +1 more
rrc1967 Senior Member • Posts: 1,740

Alexander Rosenwald wrote:

elroyie wrote:

It seems from this latest specs that the R5 is going to have a 40mp sensor, in this way the 8K video would be the sensor width without any additional process.

40 MP would not be enough for 8k. The sensor is 4:3 but 8k is 16:9. You need nearly 45 MP on a 4:3 sensor for 8k.

depends on the variant of 8K .. it's anywhere from 40 to 45MP. odds are it's 45 though IMO.

normal senors as noted at 3:2 btw.

tqlla Veteran Member • Posts: 5,752

elroyie wrote:

Arent sensors 3:2?

tqlla's gear list:tqlla's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony a99 II Sony a7R III Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 +1 more
elroyie Regular Member • Posts: 402

elroyie wrote:

For 8K you need a width of 7680 pixels, now you can do the math...

Unless Canon will choose different resolution for 8K.

-- hide signature --

Elroyie David

elroyie's gear list:elroyie's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +11 more

elroyie wrote:

elroyie wrote:

7680 or 8192.

rrc1967 wrote:

elroyie wrote:

elroyie wrote:

7680 or 8192.

In case of 8192 it should be about 45...

-- hide signature --

Elroyie David

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +11 more

elroyie wrote:

rrc1967 wrote:

elroyie wrote:

elroyie wrote:

7680 or 8192.

In case of 8192 it should be about 45...

yes that's why there's two numbers being bandied about 40 or 45MP .. depends on the video width, which could be either of those two numbers.

I hope it will be 45...

-- hide signature --

Elroyie David

1Dx4me Veteran Member • Posts: 9,889

thunder storm wrote:

There's enough processing power available in this camera, which is promising for AF-performance.

Unfortunately it will be out of budget for me.

do you or anyone else knows what the retail price of R5 is? i didn't see the retail price in the report!

i think there is too much emphasis on video in R5, which i (and many others) couldn't care less. this video hoopla has probably added significant part of the retail price of R5.

i am really excited about fully articulated viewing screen, though. thanks, canon.

-- hide signature --

We are ephemeral dreamers, like surfers on evanescent waves!!!

thunder storm Senior Member • Posts: 5,598

1Dx4me wrote:

thunder storm wrote:

There's enough processing power available in this camera, which is promising for AF-performance.

do you or anyone else knows what the retail price of R5 is? i didn't see the retail price in the report!

I got my outlet model R for 1700 euro, and the R5 will be 3000 euro at least, that's for sure. Maybe 3500, maybe 4000, or 4500, but even 3000 euro is out of budget for me. Actually i would be better served with a M5mkII with IBIS and AF like the M6mkII at around 1500 euro, as i can mount my sigma f/1.8 zooms on that one, and use the R with bright primes for cases full frame has a true benefit over aps-c.

I understand full frame + f/2.8 zooms are better, but hey, 1500 euro for the camera only or 3000 at least + 5000 for RF zooms = 8000 euro, or, + second hand EF for 3000 = still 6000 euro.

i think there is too much emphasis on video in R5, which i (and many others) couldn't care less. this video hoopla has probably added significant part of the retail price of R5.

I agree. They should cripple those video specs to create an affordable stills camera ;).

(Canon just can't do the right thing, they are either crippling too much or not enough   )

i am really excited about fully articulated viewing screen, though. thanks, canon.

I'm done with that subject, sorry, to many posts about that for me. Not your fault of course.

-- hide signature --

M for zooms, RF for primes

thunder storm's gear list:thunder storm's gear list
Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS R Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +14 more
1Dx4me Veteran Member • Posts: 9,889

thunder storm wrote:

1Dx4me wrote:

thunder storm wrote:

I got my outlet model R for 1700 euro, and the R5 will be 3000 euro at least, that's for sure. Maybe 3500, maybe 4000, or 4500, but even 3000 euro is out of budget for me. Actually i would be better served with a M5mkII with IBIS and AF like the M6mkII at around 1500 euro, as i can mount my sigma f/1.8 zooms on that one, and use the R with bright primes for cases full frame has a true benefit over aps-c.

optimistically, i think the R5 will be at least around $3500, considering 5Dmk4's retail was around $3400.

I understand full frame + f/2.8 zooms are better, but hey, 1500 euro for the camera only or 3000 at least + 5000 for RF zooms = 8000 euro, or, + second hand EF for 3000 = still 6000 euro.

yes, photography is an expensive hobby. i have dropped a lot cash on white primes. i have the canon 300 f2.8 II and 600 f4.0 II, not mention a whole array of other "L" lenses. but i am retired so i purchased all of my gear as retirement gift to myself we only live once!

I agree. They should cripple those video specs to create an affordable stills camera ;).

(Canon just can't do the right thing, they are either crippling too much or not enough )

that has been the case in the past. but i think R5 will make all of use happy and it is packed with usable features generously!  we'll see when R5 comes out, eventually.

I'm done with that subject, sorry, to many posts about that for me. Not your fault of course.

-- hide signature --

We are ephemeral dreamers, like surfers on evanescent waves!!!

thunder storm Senior Member • Posts: 5,598

1Dx4me wrote:

yes, photography is an expensive hobby. i have dropped a lot cash on white primes. i have the canon 300 f2.8 II and 600 f4.0 II, not mention a whole array of other "L" lenses. but i am retired so i purchased all of my gear as retirement gift to myself we only live once!

Yeah, of course, you should make the most of it and enjoy it!

I have young kids, so i can't spend everything i want on just my very personal hobby.   Who knows in the future....   OTOH, don't need to hire models, that's for free

-- hide signature --

M for zooms, RF for primes

thunder storm's gear list:thunder storm's gear list
Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS R Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +14 more
Desertbilly New Member • Posts: 21

Different tack and totally speculative, but if the animal/bird eye AF is real (and great), this could be a big reason there has been no apparent activity on the 7D Mk III.

Desertbilly's gear list:Desertbilly's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5DS R Leica M10 Canon EOS R Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +3 more

Desertbilly wrote:

Different tack and totally speculative, but if the animal/bird eye AF is real (and great), this could be a big reason there has been no apparent activity on the 7D Mk III.

Yeah this effectively kills any R7 or 7D plans IMO.

it's ~18MP at a 1.6x crop factor assuming it's 45MP.  which is probably in the "good enough" category.

sure, it's probably $1200 or $1500 more than what a 7D Mark II or R7 would cost .. but that's the price of progress.   Bird eyeAF would be fantastic I would assume, especially if the tracking was fast enough.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads