More R5 details from Canon

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Shaisgs Regular Member • Posts: 120
More R5 details from Canon
13

8k no crop up to 30fps and DP AF including animal AF (including birds!).

Exciting camera

https://www.canon.com.au/about-canon/news-and-press-releases/canon-reveals-further-eos-r5-details

 Shaisgs's gear list:Shaisgs's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS R Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM +2 more
Ricoh Caplio R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Tim O'Connor
Tim O'Connor Veteran Member • Posts: 5,600
Re: More R5 details from Canon

Looking really good...

-- hide signature --
 Tim O'Connor's gear list:Tim O'Connor's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D500 Sony a7R IV Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +11 more
ntsan Contributing Member • Posts: 963
Re: More R5 details from Canon

looking really good

 ntsan's gear list:ntsan's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 5400 Canon EOS R Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +4 more
thunder storm Senior Member • Posts: 5,398
Re: More R5 details from Canon

There's enough processing power available in this camera, which is promising for AF-performance.

Unfortunately it will be out of budget for me.

-- hide signature --

M for zooms, RF for primes

 thunder storm's gear list:thunder storm's gear list
Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS R Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +12 more
stevvi Contributing Member • Posts: 690
Re: More R5 details from Canon
1

Most importantly, I hope it covers the sensor when you take a lens off

 stevvi's gear list:stevvi's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM +2 more
Alexander Rosenwald Regular Member • Posts: 309
Re: More R5 details from Canon

Shaisgs wrote:

8k no crop

8k cropped would have qualified as a holy miracle.

 Alexander Rosenwald's gear list:Alexander Rosenwald's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS RP Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +11 more
goshigoo Contributing Member • Posts: 918
Re: More R5 details from Canon
1

Perhaps R6 will be reachable for us, unless you really need 8K

thunder storm Senior Member • Posts: 5,398
Re: More R5 details from Canon

goshigoo wrote:

Perhaps R6 will be reachable for us, unless you really need 8K

Not at all.  I am mainly doing stills. All i need - compared to the R - is more sticky face/object tracking AF (A6600), the option to choose left or right eye, and AF being less prone to choose a bright back ground over a darker subject in the foreground regardless the AF point being set on the subject.

A little bit faster AF would be nice, although i seldom need it.

-- hide signature --

M for zooms, RF for primes

 thunder storm's gear list:thunder storm's gear list
Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS R Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +12 more
rrc1967 Senior Member • Posts: 1,623
Re: More R5 details from Canon

Shaisgs wrote:

8k no crop up to 30fps and DP AF including animal AF (including birds!).

Exciting camera

https://www.canon.com.au/about-canon/news-and-press-releases/canon-reveals-further-eos-r5-details

yeah wow.

this camera completely crushes the competition.

Canon's making a statement here. We're in for exciting times.

8k30p means that 4k full width could be 8k oversampled. 4k60 probably isn't though (IMO).

I never thought Canon would be able to do 8k with DPAF. I'm seriously freaking impressed with DIGIC X.

doing the napkin math, that's just a completely insane amount of data being processed per second.

J A C S
J A C S Forum Pro • Posts: 16,979
Re: More R5 details from Canon

The 5 year warranty (Australia) is a great spec! Sounds expensive, too.

thunder storm Senior Member • Posts: 5,398
Re: More R5 details from Canon

rrc1967 wrote:

Shaisgs wrote:

8k no crop up to 30fps and DP AF including animal AF (including birds!).

Exciting camera

https://www.canon.com.au/about-canon/news-and-press-releases/canon-reveals-further-eos-r5-details

yeah wow.

this camera completely crushes the competition.

Canon's making a statement here. We're in for exciting times.

8k30p means that 4k full width could be 8k oversampled. 4k60 probably isn't though (IMO).

I never thought Canon would be able to do 8k with DPAF. I'm seriously freaking impressed with DIGIC X.

doing the napkin math, that's just a completely insane amount of data being processed per second.

We know there's no crop, but what about up sampling?

-- hide signature --

M for zooms, RF for primes

 thunder storm's gear list:thunder storm's gear list
Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS R Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +12 more
rrc1967 Senior Member • Posts: 1,623
Re: More R5 details from Canon

thunder storm wrote:

rrc1967 wrote:

Shaisgs wrote:

8k no crop up to 30fps and DP AF including animal AF (including birds!).

Exciting camera

https://www.canon.com.au/about-canon/news-and-press-releases/canon-reveals-further-eos-r5-details

yeah wow.

this camera completely crushes the competition.

Canon's making a statement here. We're in for exciting times.

8k30p means that 4k full width could be 8k oversampled. 4k60 probably isn't though (IMO).

I never thought Canon would be able to do 8k with DPAF. I'm seriously freaking impressed with DIGIC X.

doing the napkin math, that's just a completely insane amount of data being processed per second.

We know there's no crop, but what about up sampling?

pretty dumb theory.

there's no lineskipping,etc involved why upsample?  do you think that full width 8K uses lineskipping so the video has to upsample to round up to 8K?

I mean really?

KrisAK Contributing Member • Posts: 729
Re: More R5 details from Canon
1

Interesting that Canon seems to be responding to -- and shutting down -- corners of the rumor mill. Keeping expectations in check, while fueling new ones.

That in itself seems new.

J A C S
J A C S Forum Pro • Posts: 16,979
Re: More R5 details from Canon

rrc1967 wrote:

thunder storm wrote:

rrc1967 wrote:

Shaisgs wrote:

8k no crop up to 30fps and DP AF including animal AF (including birds!).

Exciting camera

https://www.canon.com.au/about-canon/news-and-press-releases/canon-reveals-further-eos-r5-details

yeah wow.

this camera completely crushes the competition.

Canon's making a statement here. We're in for exciting times.

8k30p means that 4k full width could be 8k oversampled. 4k60 probably isn't though (IMO).

I never thought Canon would be able to do 8k with DPAF. I'm seriously freaking impressed with DIGIC X.

doing the napkin math, that's just a completely insane amount of data being processed per second.

We know there's no crop, but what about up sampling?

pretty dumb theory.

there's no lineskipping,etc involved why upsample? do you think that full width 8K uses lineskipping so the video has to upsample to round up to 8K?

I mean really?

Imagine... no video...

Grat Contributing Member • Posts: 549
Re: More R5 details from Canon
5

DPReview's gonna need a whole new set of punctuation marks to spin this announcement.

They've poo-pooing the idea that Canon could possibly have "8K" video since the R5's announcement.

 Grat's gear list:Grat's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Sigma 120-400mm F4.5-5.6 DG OS HSM +2 more
thunder storm Senior Member • Posts: 5,398
Re: More R5 details from Canon

KrisAK wrote:

Interesting that Canon seems to be responding to -- and shutting down -- corners of the rumor mill. Keeping expectations in check, while fueling new ones.

That in itself seems new.

Maybe someone woke up, starting with the 24fps updates.

I can imagine someone who planned to buy into A7mkIV + lenses thinks.... "wait!".....

-- hide signature --

M for zooms, RF for primes

 thunder storm's gear list:thunder storm's gear list
Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS R Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +12 more
Wintereater Forum Member • Posts: 74
Re: More R5 details from Canon

Shaisgs wrote:

8k no crop up to 30fps and DP AF including animal AF (including birds!).

Exciting camera

https://www.canon.com.au/about-canon/news-and-press-releases/canon-reveals-further-eos-r5-details

As someone who shoots primarily birds, I might have soiled my pants a bit when I read that. Hopefully this animal AF tech gets put into their other mirrorless cameras.

 Wintereater's gear list:Wintereater's gear list
Canon EOS M6 II Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Canon EF-M 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM +2 more
elroyie Regular Member • Posts: 402
40MP camera

It seems from this latest specs that the R5 is going to have a 40mp sensor, in this way the 8K video would be the sensor width without any additional process.

-- hide signature --

Elroyie David

 elroyie's gear list:elroyie's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +11 more
buellom Contributing Member • Posts: 642
Re: 40MP camera

There might be a very slight crop for the digital IS. So it might be a bit higher resolution and not far from 45 MP.

-- hide signature --

********************
www.freude-am-licht.de
********************

Lawn Lends
Lawn Lends Senior Member • Posts: 2,374
Re: More R5 details from Canon

J A C S wrote:

rrc1967 wrote:

thunder storm wrote:

rrc1967 wrote:

Shaisgs wrote:

8k no crop up to 30fps and DP AF including animal AF (including birds!).

Exciting camera

https://www.canon.com.au/about-canon/news-and-press-releases/canon-reveals-further-eos-r5-details

yeah wow.

this camera completely crushes the competition.

Canon's making a statement here. We're in for exciting times.

8k30p means that 4k full width could be 8k oversampled. 4k60 probably isn't though (IMO).

I never thought Canon would be able to do 8k with DPAF. I'm seriously freaking impressed with DIGIC X.

doing the napkin math, that's just a completely insane amount of data being processed per second.

We know there's no crop, but what about up sampling?

pretty dumb theory.

there's no lineskipping,etc involved why upsample? do you think that full width 8K uses lineskipping so the video has to upsample to round up to 8K?

I mean really?

Imagine... no video...

Nah. At the very least there would be an add-on back and canister for 35mm film video.

 Lawn Lends's gear list:Lawn Lends's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Sony a7R III
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads