I managed to light up the AF point/s on my A99II at all times !

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
LFCFanatic Forum Member • Posts: 76
I managed to light up the AF point/s on my A99II at all times !

This was an happy accidental discovery. I've often have problems finding my AF points especially in time pressured scenarios as the AF point is lit green only when I half press my shutter button.

Before this discovery, I've often relied on spot metering large so that it's easier for me to find the AF point or always pressed the joystick in the center so that the AF point is reset to be in the center.

I realised using AF Range Control helps lit up the chosen AF point in yellow. ALWAYS! Now I've set Custom Button 2 to be AF Range Control. Upon turning on the camera, I'd press C2 twice and I'm ready to go. At this point, I do not know how much more battery it'd consume but I'm so so so happy right now and I'm here to share my joy!

LFCFanatic's gear list:LFCFanatic's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Sony a99 II Canon EF 135mm F2.8 SF +51 more
DrFzs Regular Member • Posts: 197
Re: I managed to light up the AF point/s on my A99II at all times !

I try my camera.

Brilliant idea.

Easier to see the focus area.

Cheers :

Dr. FZs

DrFzs's gear list:DrFzs's gear list
Sony DSC-RX0 II Sony SLT-A58 Sony a99 II Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 11-18mm F4.5-5.6 +14 more
Clyde Thomas Senior Member • Posts: 1,547

LFCFanatic wrote:

I realised using AF Range Control helps lit up the chosen AF point in yellow. ALWAYS!

Not quite always.  With screw drive lenses, it only works in AF-C.  DMF won't light up the AF points with screw drivers.  The SSM lenses seem to allow lighting up AF points regardless of AF mode selection.  I can't speak for other AF modes.  I only use AF-C and DMF.

Also won't work in video.  Things like changing lenses, switching from wide area AF back to spot selection, and a few odd control selections and menu dives, changes in drive mode selections...  Some combos of these things can cause the AF Range Control to disengage without warning.

I wish it were a fixed control.  It's a very nice and helpful workaround.

-- hide signature --

Here to help. Here to learn.
http://photoclydethomas.com/

OP LFCFanatic Forum Member • Posts: 76

Clyde Thomas wrote:

LFCFanatic wrote:

I realised using AF Range Control helps lit up the chosen AF point in yellow. ALWAYS!

Not quite always. With screw drive lenses, it only works in AF-C. DMF won't light up the AF points with screw drivers. The SSM lenses seem to allow lighting up AF points regardless of AF mode selection. I can't speak for other AF modes. I only use AF-C and DMF.

Also won't work in video. Things like changing lenses, switching from wide area AF back to spot selection, and a few odd control selections and menu dives, changes in drive mode selections... Some combos of these things can cause the AF Range Control to disengage without warning.

I wish it were a fixed control. It's a very nice and helpful workaround.

Almost always then lol.

How do you go about using DMF? It's something I never use. I set the lens function button to AF/MF toggle if I need to use MF.

I use AF-S at all times and switch to AF-C only when needed. I mounted my screw driven 85mm ZA and use AF-S and the AF points lit up. What lens did you try the method on?

When I shoot video with the camera, I use MF all the way. Fixed f3.5 P Mode or jamming the aperture lever in the lens to shoot wide open for the sake of AF in video is just not very appealing to me. Even if I were to use AF in video, it will likely be wide for focus area + face recognition so seeing & selecting AF points is a non issue.

Generally when I shoot in fast paced events I leave both cameras on always so it doesn't really disengage. Also, with the number of custom buttons and custom modes, I really don't need to dive into menu that often. Regardless, I've tried to go into menu and go back to shooting mode and the AF points are still lit up after pressing C2 twice upon powering up the camera. Nevertheless, there's a reason why I put AF Range Control in C2 so that it's convenient to engage it.

Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Sony a99 II Canon EF 135mm F2.8 SF +51 more
RichVic Regular Member • Posts: 386

Not sure where AF Range Control  is in the  A99 II is ... but will consult Mr Friedman.  Are you saying the AF lights up points in focus even with the finger not half pressed on the shot button?

Cheers

RIchard C

RichVic's gear list:RichVic's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony a99 II Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro (F004) +3 more

RichVic wrote:

Not sure where AF Range Control is in the A99 II is ... but will consult Mr Friedman. Are you saying the AF lights up points in focus even with the finger not half pressed on the shot button?

Cheers

RIchard C

It's something that's somewhat hidden. This is how I recommend activating & using it.

Go to custom operation1 under custom key (shoot.), select custom button 2. From there, select AF Range Control.

Upon turning on the camera and you wish to see the AF points lit, press C2 twice.

Yes the AF points are in yellow even when you do not half press the shutter button.

Hope you find this useful.

Thanks for your feedback ...  from a brief try here in the dark

Range Control is normally assigned to C1 button I think.  [I use it to limit range on longer lenses]

It took me some time to find the C2 button ... and with your advice it was easy to reassign it to AF Range Control

Fiddling with it indoors in the low light ... I can get the lights to stay on [in yellow]

Briefly I thought when I moved the camera around it was showing yellow lights when I held the camera over anything at the correct [focused for] distance ... but now the yellow lights are just staying on no matter where I hold the camera.

Not sure whether I'm doing something wrong?  [ I was in AF-C mode ]

Also why wouldn't I use the C1 button instead if I am used to it?

Thanks for your assistance.

Cheers

Richard C

Sony a77 II Sony a99 II Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro (F004) +3 more

RichVic wrote:

Thanks for your feedback ... from a brief try here in the dark

Range Control is normally assigned to C1 button I think. [I use it to limit range on longer lenses]

It took me some time to find the C2 button ... and with your advice it was easy to reassign it to AF Range Control

Fiddling with it indoors in the low light ... I can get the lights to stay on [in yellow]

Briefly I thought when I moved the camera around it was showing yellow lights when I held the camera over anything at the correct [focused for] distance ... but now the yellow lights are just staying on no matter where I hold the camera.

Not sure whether I'm doing something wrong? [ I was in AF-C mode ]

Also why wouldn't I use the C1 button instead if I am used to it?

Thanks for your assistance.

Cheers

Richard C

Yes that's the whole point of activating it. To see the AF points at all times. If you find it distracting you can always deactivate my pressing C2 again.

Choosing AF-C doesn't affect AF Range control in my testing.

You can use C1 or whichever button you fancy.

Got it now ... thanks.

Cheers

Richard C

alanlinde
alanlinde Regular Member • Posts: 461

I was trying to check this on my camera (without success so far; but that is likely just my incompetence). I use C2 for focus magnify so I tried to use WB (I shoot in raw and never play with WB). Previously pressing the center button of the joystick has reset the focus point to the center (standard I believe) but now, when I press it, I get a message in the viewfinder "Object setting" and "Tracks nearest subject to screen center" and the focus point is not reset to center. I did not verify the operation of the joystick before fiddling with the WB button so I can't be sure it wasn't this way before but I frequently make use of the focus reset. Center button is set to "focus standard."

What have I done and how can I restore the focus reset? I do have focus area set to flexible spot.

Thanks, Alan

alanlinde
alanlinde Regular Member • Posts: 461

OK I found what I had done (but don't remember doing!). I had center lock-on Af set to on. Turned it to off and I get what I was expecting.

sorry about that.

Alan

tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 47,643

LFCFanatic wrote:

This was an happy accidental discovery. I've often have problems finding my AF points especially in time pressured scenarios as the AF point is lit green only when I half press my shutter button.

Since I use mostly AF-C and I have my cameras set up to engage AF on half press I have the shutter button partially depressed most of the time when taking photos. The few time I use AF-S I don't care about seeing the AF points until I push the shutter.

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads