Sony A7III vs Fujifilm X-T3

Started Mar 11, 2020 | Discussions
intongnito
intongnito New Member • Posts: 2
Sony A7III vs Fujifilm X-T3

Hi guys,

I am a hobby photographer and I currently own the Sony A7III with the Sony 16-35mm F2.8GM & Sony 70-200mm F4.

Recently I got the chance to try my friends Fuji X-T3 and I really loved the dials and "interaction" with the camera.

My question is, if switching from my current gear to the fuji X-T3 with following lenses would make any sense?

Fujifilm XF 10-24mm f4

Fujifilm XF 16-55mm f2.8

Fujifilm XF 50-140mm f2.8

I mainly do landsacpe photography, and street photography from time to time. What are your thoughs? Any tips, pro/cons are highly appreciated.

Much love and have a fantastic day!

intongnito's gear list:intongnito's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Adobe Photoshop CS6 extended Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +1 more
Fujifilm X-T3 Sony a7 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
TBKB Regular Member • Posts: 178
Re: Sony A7III vs Fujifilm X-T3

I have been using an X-T3 for the last 6 months after switching from Sony which I used for about a year, prior to this I had used Nikon’s for about 10 years.

I switched from Nikon as I wanted to reduce the size and weight , I switched to Fuji as really couldnt get on with the controls/menu system of the Sony, I am now seriously considering switching back to Nikon and getting a Z6. Although I like the more dial orientated controls of the Fuji I feel the Nikon control/menu system is a better real world system for todays cameras. The Z6 wasn’t available when I originally moved away from Nikon.

Am a bit surprised you want to switch from FF to APS-C particularly as you do a lot of landscape.

intongnito
OP intongnito New Member • Posts: 2

TBKB wrote:

I have been using an X-T3 for the last 6 months after switching from Sony which I used for about a year, prior to this I had used Nikon’s for about 10 years.

I switched from Nikon as I wanted to reduce the size and weight , I switched to Fuji as really couldnt get on with the controls/menu system of the Sony, I am now seriously considering switching back to Nikon and getting a Z6. Although I like the more dial orientated controls of the Fuji I feel the Nikon control/menu system is a better real world system for todays cameras. The Z6 wasn’t available when I originally moved away from Nikon.

Am a bit surprised you want to switch from FF to APS-C particularly as you do a lot of landscape.

Before I took the sony, i've used the Canon 80D and canon 6D mkII. The menu system of the sony for me personally is a total mess. I didn't really get the chance to play around with the menu of the Fuji but to me it seemed more user friendly.

As for the switch form FF to APS-C the reason is as follows:

Sony lenses are hella expensive, and if i were to sell the gear I currently own for the sony, i would be able to afford one additional lens which would cover the mid focal length. Recalculating the focal length of the 3 lenses for fuji to FF format, I would cover something from aprox. 16mm-200mm completely, while with the sony I'm actually missing 35-70mm. (I was thinking of getting the 24-105mm before, but that's another 1k$ blown away)

The price of the lenses is what's really bugging me, since I only do photography as a hobby, not for a living.

From my POV, IF the IQ of the Fuji isn't total garbage, then making the switch shouldn't be such a huge deal right? Or am I missing some points I wonder...

intongnito's gear list:intongnito's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Adobe Photoshop CS6 extended Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +1 more
KCook
KCook Forum Pro • Posts: 19,132

Dunno.  But both the a7iii and X-T3 have been around for a while now.  So threads like this one are not hard to find -

X-T3 vs A7III - I really want to hate the Sony

Kelly Cook

KCook's gear list:KCook's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic G85
golfhov Forum Pro • Posts: 11,893

intongnito wrote:

TBKB wrote:

Before I took the sony, i've used the Canon 80D and canon 6D mkII. The menu system of the sony for me personally is a total mess. I didn't really get the chance to play around with the menu of the Fuji but to me it seemed more user friendly.

How much menu diving do you need to do?

As for the switch form FF to APS-C the reason is as follows:

Sony lenses are hella expensive, and if i were to sell the gear I currently own for the sony, i would be able to afford one additional lens which would cover the mid focal length. Recalculating the focal length of the 3 lenses for fuji to FF format, I would cover something from aprox. 16mm-200mm completely, while with the sony I'm actually missing 35-70mm. (I was thinking of getting the 24-105mm before, but that's another 1k$ blown away)

But you are looking at a $1200 lens from Fuji. .......

US pricing

$1000 10-24

$1200 16-50

$1400 50-140

The price of the lenses is what's really bugging me, since I only do photography as a hobby, not for a living.

Just curious why you bought the over 2k 2.8 GM...........

You already have the telephoto And despite spending way too much on the UWA you probably won't get much money back selling it and buying the f4 or Sigma or Tamron which are all price competitive

For a normal range zoom you have the 24-70 f4, Sigma 24-70 2.8 , Tamron 28-75 2.8 , or the 24-105 all of which are price competitive

From my POV, IF the IQ of the Fuji isn't total garbage,

It isn't at all. It would be a modest step backwards. You can download full files from their studio scene to compare

then making the switch shouldn't be such a huge deal right? Or am I missing some points I wonder...

I dunno.....sometimes the grass is greener on the other side and sometimes it isn't. If you are a hobbyists and the Fuji brought you joy that the Sony doesn't then jump in

golfhov's gear list:golfhov's gear list
Panasonic LX10 Sony a7R II Sony a7 III Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +11 more
Cato1040
Cato1040 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,947

Because for landscape photography and street photography, having a wide aperture usually isn't that important, the switch to APS-C probably won't hurt there. The main issue could potentially be high ISO performance if using a fast shutter speed in low-light for street photography (though I don't think that's too common) or dynamic range in landscape photography (though you could exposure bracket instead).

Those may not be huge issues, so the switch could make sense if you like that.

You mentioned Sony lenses are expensive. But so are Fujifilm ones. What are less expensive are third party lenses, and Sony has way more of those than Fujifilm. So if price is an issue, getting the Tamron 17-28mm f/2.8, 28-75mm f/2.8, and future 70-180mm f/2.8 would be cheaper than the Sony f/2.8 or Fujifilm f/2.8 first-party trio.

Cato1040's gear list:Cato1040's gear list
Olympus Stylus Tough TG-850 iHS Fujifilm X100T Panasonic LX10 Sony a6000 Sony a7 III +18 more
csnite
csnite Regular Member • Posts: 153

You will notice a reduction in both dynamic range and high iso capability going to Fuji from the Sony. Probably 1 stop'ish. In the real world in normal photography, not a huge deal. The Fuji is very good. I would suggest instead of the 16-55, consider the 18-55 2.8-4. It is very balanced on the Xt3 and also has stabilization, which the 16-55 doesn't. If you did that, you could add a nice walkaround prime like the 35 f2 or 1.4. In the real world, the difference in image quality between the 2 is less down to full frame vs APSC, and more down to your ability as a photographer and the lenses you put in front of the camera.

csnite's gear list:csnite's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Fujifilm X-T200 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm 50-230mm II Fujifilm XC 35mm F2
DrewRick New Member • Posts: 18

For landscape on a tripod, I would take the 16-55 over the 18-55 because on a tripod the IS doesn't matter and the 16-55 gets a while lot more detail out of the shot. On the long end, the 55-200 is actually great for landscape, very sharp across the field. 10-24 is the right choice on the wide end, just switch to the normal zoom beyond 18mm.

DrewRick's gear list:DrewRick's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T30 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +10 more
basleigh Contributing Member • Posts: 657

Changing horses midstream is not necessarily recommended given the financial impact. That said the reviews on the Nikon Z lenses are very impressive especially 24-70 zoom. The problem being no SD cards. The best point of Fujifilm: quality prime lenses and not expensive. You need to firstly identify the lenses required and compare cost. Zoom lenses often have quality control problems in manufacturing and subject to wear and tear use.

basleigh's gear list:basleigh's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Sony a7R III Fujifilm X-T3 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads